back to article Licence-fee outsourcer Capita caught wringing BBC tax from vulnerable

Capita, to whom the BBC has outsourced its licence fee shakedown efforts, has been found to be targeting vulnerable people as part of an aggressive bonus scheme for its collectors. An investigative report by the Daily Mail has found Capita to be offering bonuses of up to £15,000 a year to its 330 enforcement officers, who have …

Page:

1. Pompous Git Silver badge

I bet there's chunks of the show cut out to make room for a few more ads.
        Actually, they just speed up the show "a bit". It's quite noticeable if there's music and you have perfect pitch.

1. Kiwi

I bet there's chunks of the show cut out to make room for a few more ads.

Actually, they just speed up the show "a bit". It's quite noticeable if there's music and you have perfect pitch.

I remember when Babylon 5 was on TV over here. Hmm.. 45mins/ep as from the studio, 1hr time slot, 20 mins worth of ads (give or take). They do other things as well, like the big blocks of screenspace for "upcoming" shows, sometimes up to 1/4 of the screen, often for more than 1/4 of the total program time (sure it goes away 5 minutes after the last ad break, but then it's only a minute or two till the next one!). And there's the habit I've seen of top 2/3 the last few scenes from the show, the right-hand 1/3 of the bottom being a tiny window with the credits (unreadable even on a 42" screen), and the remaining stuff about upcoming shows - maybe with a voice-over while the actors in the actual show still have lines to finish.

TV3 is now even worse, I'd say the credits are maybe 1/8th of the screen space, the rest devoted to advertising. And they wonder why people would rather pirate or go to places like Netflix?

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

How much?

"Capita is paid £58m a year by the BBC"

"its 330 enforcement officers"

That works out to £175,757.58 per collector per year, or am I in the same league as Mr "5*30 = 1500" above?

2. BongoJoe

I rang them back saying that I was unable to receive a TV signal except only from The Republic of Ireland.

I asked whether I needed a licence or not and of course they couldn't give me an answer. It wouldn't have made a difference anyway as I don't watch television. But it's always fun to appear willing and unable so that one falls out of the little boxes they put you in.

3. Les Matthew

Best joke ever

“not reflect the high standards we expect.”

This is Capita.

4. andy gibson

Am I one of the lucky ones?

I decided to give up on TV when I moved and my new place had no TV aerial.

I filled in the form saying I didn't watch TV, they popped round, they were polite, I was polite. They went away and I've heard nothing since, over a year on.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Am I one of the lucky ones?

> I filled in the form saying I didn't watch TV, they popped round, they were polite, I was polite.

I wonder if there is any other country in the world where the authorities will send someone around an individual's house to, politely or not, ascertain whether the individual watches television.

2. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Re: Am I one of the lucky ones?

"They went away and I've heard nothing since, over a year on."

IIRC they never say they won't contact you again. IIRC they do state somewhere that informing them that you have no TV will only stop the letters for two years or three or something like that.

5. adam payne

"Capita has fallen short of the standards the BBC has a right to expect on behalf of the British public"

When does Capita ever meet the standards required and expected by any of their clients?

6. VanguardG

Consider the quality of the product...

I don't know about the programming in the UK, but in the US, the overall programming is actually so bad that the people broadcasting the drivel should be paying the viewer to watch it. Since you lot have to pay to watch it, I hope the real BBC is better than the knock-off BBC America we get here....which has so many ads the old re-run TV shows that form most of the programming have been cut to make room for even more ads than the original shows had when they were actually running for the first time 'round. Used to be one got 48 minutes of actual show in the 1 hour time slot...give it another decade or so and shows will have 1 hour time slots but only a half hour of actual show - and we'll have ads for other ads. "Have you seen the new ad for Acme Vehicle Insurance? No? Well, don't worry, because it will be airing just after this short interruption by the show you actually tuned in here to watch."

7. Andalou

W.r.t. foreign programmes from more ad-supported networks the biggest annoyance is those infernal shows with forty-five second recaps every five or seven minutes. It is crazily annoying watching them edited ad-free on Netflix.

8. Kiwi

W.r.t. foreign programmes from more ad-supported networks the biggest annoyance is those infernal shows with forty-five second recaps every five or seven minutes. It is crazily annoying watching them edited ad-free on Netflix.

FTFY

9. Sam Skittle

Crapita delenda est!

I had the very great misfortune to be working in an architectural design office which was taken over by that group of ‘government favourites’ spivs who are collectively known as Capita. Any staff member who objected to this takeover was immediately sacked!

That design office, whose particular skill set and professional expertise had been built up over many years, is now no more, since the greedy asset-stripping dysfunctional firestorm that is Capita took what they wanted and then sacked all their ‘acquired’ professional staff using entirely false accusations of professional “incompetence” and other such evil manipulations in order to facilitate the divestment of their incidentally acquired ‘carbon units’ (aka as ‘human beings’). And when they had exhausted their sadistic pleasures upon these professional staffers whom they had ‘acquired’ as part of their lucrative take-over deal, they shut that formerly flourishing architectural design office down!

"Crapita delenda est!" I say. No ifs, absolutely no buts!

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like