back to article Apple eats itself as iPhone fatigue spreads

The phrase "Peak Apple" has been used many times, only for the fruity firm to bounce back. Cupertino has amassed a vast fortune by ignoring the carping experts. However, the latest bout of iPhone fatigue might be more than a passing bout of flu. It's prompted one Wall Street watcher to downgrade Apple stock. The specific …

Anonymous Coward

Re: I don't know what to do..??!

Change for the sake of change is the modus operandi of the world economy. This is because the world trades energy off the back of the petrodollar, which relies upon speculation for its value.

Every major multinational company is indebted to the stock market and the petrodollar. Therefore every major multinational company is compelled to keep pumping out new products every year, otherwise they can't pay back the shareholders and their stock valuation tumbles.

If we stop funding companies with debt, then the companies are no longer compelled to structure their product releases around the whims of the shareholders. But that also means adopting a new monetary standard, which risks destroying the current economy.

Tough choice.

Silver badge

"Instead of a defined tactile click, the phone vibrates. Give me back the damn click!"

I understand the annoyance, but that home button really has been a source of reliability issues!

I'd be willing to relearn just for that reason!

What I really really hate on the new iPhones is the pressure-sensitive touch screen. If you push hard, that is like the right-click on a computer. So now to move icons or open apps, I have to barely touch the screen. The home button is the same way. And I also hate how you no longer can swipe to unlock after the first tap of the home button, you have to tap home twice. And it took me 15 minutes to figure out that the 'TV' app also stored the downloaded movies. Don't even get me started on the new iTunes. It took me another 15 minutes just to figure out how to transfer music. And I have yet to figure out which pictures are synced to the iCloud and which are not.

It's the headphone jack, stupid

We're well past the point of diminishing returns on smartphones, where they are good enough and combined with the end of carrier subsidies, we are in a replacement market where people will just keep their phone until it breaks, just as they do with PCs or tablets.

Apple was spectacularly clueless to give its customers, most of which are still in a every-other-year replacement schedule, a reason not to upgrade by abandoning the headphone jack.

Re: It's the headphone jack, stupid

No doubt that ate into their record quarter. Uh huh.

Silver badge
FAIL

"Hardware is so over"

Hardware is never over. Software is never over. Apple is failing because they refuse to eliminate the premium design prices even though they ran out of premium design ideas years ago. Most of their recent "upgrades" have been frustrating brand lock-in attempts rather than useful features.

Re: "Hardware is so over"

Agreed.

As someone else mentioned, this isn't the end of phone hardware innovation... it is perhaps the end of phone hardware innovation until a major new tech can be developed (e.g. flexible displays, mentioned earlier by another commentard).

It just might be the beginning of the end for Apple, however.

Slx

The technology has basically matured to a fairly standard shape and interface.

I don't think you're going to see as many wild changes from any of the phone makers.

It's a bit like the way we went from crazy PC physical designs and UI to a fairly standardised desktop metaphor back in the 1980s and 90s

Well....

....there's much true in this (peak smartphone, not just iPhone), but Wall Street doesn't appear to believe Mr. Moskowitz, judging from the share price activity over the last week. We'll know next Tuesday when Apple reports earnings for the last quarter of last calendar year. Saying iPhone 7 sales are sluggish is probably predicted on reports from parts providers that Apple has cut back.... because so many people have purchases phablet-sized 7 Pluses instead. Let me just guess which phone has the higher margin.

Silver badge

Re: Well....

Whilst Apple makes most of its money from phones, it has a history of making money by stealing the lunch of of others, including Sony (iPod), HMV (iTunes), Nokia (iPhone) etc. The idea that a smartphone is so good that the user has no need to upgrade was foreseen by Apple years ago. Apple knows what its history is. And it has a shitload of money to spend on acquisitions and R&D.

The above does not guarantee them success if they choose to break into new sectors. However, it does give them the benefit if the doubt before writing them off.

Re: Well....

I know it's tacky to reply to my own post. I swear I'll never do it again, but Apple's quarterly results just came out and I'm certain the author will want to correct his prognostication.

He's probably been resisting that stock-in-trade of the tech press, stories on how Apple's peaked and is heading for the gutter since 1997 (when it nearly happened), for so long, he couldn't resist. I mean, they're bound to tank at some point, right?

What would be more interesting for a tech site would be some serious reporting, maybe with (horrors) someone who writes about marketing in tow, on why a company that sells non-innovative, overpriced bling has done so well the last 16 years or so. If it's really not innovative If it's really just bling, that is. Now that would be interesting reading, and might actually help some of the younger readers decide what kind of employer to seek/startup to join.

Silver badge

It's so friggin obvious. People do not want to carry around adapters and sh*t to be able to use the earbuds, IEMs, or headphones of their choice.

Stupid, stupid decision to remove a small, simple and standard connector.

Instead they should have made it more reliable and less prone to break.. It's a great connector that makes the various USB types seem rather crappy.

And renaming "stupid" to "brave".. Ehhh..

Gratuitous SMBC comic;

http://www.smbc-comics.com/comic/the-new-thing

Silver badge

Lockin sales?

I wonder how many iPhone sales are nothing to do with the phone itself merely the fact its the only way to access certain software. My daughter ended up getting a second hand iPhone simply because of Facetime - she just had to have that but none of the other 'features' were of interest.

Silver badge

Removing the headphone jack was just dumb

The only reason it was done to sell proprietary and licensed headphones that only worked on Apple devices. This is par for the course for Apple but perhaps this time they've pushed their fanbase a little too far.

Anonymous Coward

History Repeating

Saw this is the 90's before Jobs came back and saved them. It's getting all Gil Amilio. Flailing product lines, no clarity.

No Jobs now .... they're fucked long term.

and removing the earphone jack was seriously dumb.

jma

What I really want in my next phone

A sunlight readable screen. Remember in the days of LCD Black and grey/green screen, you could read it in sunlight? Well I want it back, and would pay lots for it....

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Forums

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2018