back to article Airbus flies new plane for the first time

Airbus has successfully flown a new commercial jet model, with the first A350-1000 taking to the skies over Toulouse on Thursday. The A350-1000 is the new member of the A350 program, Airbus' attempt to offer a long-haul twin-engine jet a little larger and rather more modern than its A330 range, and also cheaper to operate than …

Page:

1. Crazy Operations Guy Silver badge

Not surprising its safe, no one is doing anything exciting anymore nowadays

Its not surprising at all that tests flights are so safe and reliable when no one is designing anything new or different.

Test flights are pretty much a formality now that everyone is just building slight variations on their existing craft and are just your standard aluminum tube with a pair of wings on either side and powered by 2 / 4 petroleum-burning turbofans strapped to the bottom of the wings. The most revolutionary thing to hit the skies in the past several decades is replacing the aluminum on the sides with carbon fiber or blending the winglets into the wing surface whoop-de-fucking-do.

Why don't aircraft manufacturers have the courage to actually make something revolutionary anymore? Why no new designs (Flying wings, proper blended-bodies, etc)? Why not try different fuels on a larger scale? How about something new for once? I'd settle for a new design that would cut down the hour and a half cluster-fuck that is getting 100 passengers off the plane and 100 new ones on (Could probably be solved by the airlines, but the manufacturers could do something to help make it more efficient).

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Re: Not surprising its safe, no one is doing anything exciting anymore nowadays

>Why don't aircraft manufacturers have the courage to actually make something revolutionary anymore

For pretty much the same reasons that cricket balls are all round.

The big design decisions are cos of physics, the small ones are to make them compatible with all the airports, ground equipment and passengers

2. Andy Tunnah

Re: Not surprising its safe, no one is doing anything exciting anymore nowadays

People aren't a fan of prototype technologies on commercial aircraft. They want safe, reliable, and well understood.

2. Mephistro Silver badge
    Coat

"Airbus flies new plane for the first time"

The article's title is wrong! Airbus has flown new planes many times!!!

Yes, yes, I'm leaving already.

3. adam 40

Will we all get a crash helmet and parachute?

I for one would feel much safer if I got a crash helmet and parachute on boarding the aircraft - "just in case" of course - it would also make the stewardess' demo much more interesting - showing how to pull the rip cord etc.

4. Vic

"The new plane looped around"

It looped?

I very much doubt it. There's video of an A400M doing a wing-over, but I can't imagine any large passenger aircraft doing a loop...

Vic.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019