back to article Good God, we've found a Google thing we like – the Pixel iPhone killer

Google is taking on the iPhone. At an event this morning in San Francisco, the web advertising giant took a huge leap into hardware with a range of new products aimed at taking on, and beating, the most popular consumer products on the market. Top of the list: the Google Pixel phone, which is aimed squarely at the iPhone. …

Page:

1. David Paul Morgan

Re: Clearly...

OTG and a memory stick.

Which is why I'm now seriously considering either the oneplus 3 (or will stump up for the 128GB version of the Pixel).

32GB is a bit too small for me.

I like the way that this model shuffles your full quality pictures into Google Photos.

1. Charles 9

Re: Clearly...

You can't CHARGE the phone when you use OTG, which is a concern with long trips.

1. Chika
        Mushroom

What's the obsession with battery and SD cards? My Nexus is now 3 years old, and battery is perfect. I also fail to grasp my you would waste your time trying to fit your entire digital life on your phones really slow, split storage as card, waiting for someone to grab if you ever lose it.

Well I know what my obsession is with non-removable batteries, especially when the phone is as expensive as this. Given my recent run-in with an expanding overheated battery in my otherwise sealed Honor 6 unit, although I managed to replace it myself for the price of a replacement battery, I know exactly what my obsession is. (So do quite a large number of recent Samsung users!)

As for this continual harping on about "split storage", I still don't trust any cloud provider with my data. I have enough to do keeping my browsing out of the grubby mitts of people like Google and slimes like the NSA without all that.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

At Planty re 32Gigs.

I've got enough audio books to nearly fill a 256Gb SD card. I've got over 1.5Tb of music. I've got enough e.books to choke a server. There's no way in hell I can eviscerate all that media down to a mere 32Gb, especially not if that space also has to store apps, app data, OS updates, etc. Even the 128Gb model isn't enough, especially if you ever end up in areas of no cell coverage, no wifi coverage, & must therefor rely upon only what's in the phone at the time. "But there's ubiquitous coverage everywhere!" is such a load of shite you need to be bitch slapped. NO it is NOT ubiquitous. Maybe where YOU live but not in 90% of the rest of the world. Outside a freeway corridore, major metropolitan area (& sometimes not even there given dead zones), or outside the carrier's actual store, you can't count on being able to connect at all to "the cloud". No cloud means no streaming, no syncing, & no getting your media from anywhere not already on the phone. So what to do then? Will you be happy with what's on your phone *right now*? Because that's it, no signal means no more options.

Don't scoff at the desire for expandable storage. There are more reasons to want it than mere capacity in the phones. Once you're strapped into the bus/plane/train seat & see that you've got zero signal, THEN you'll understand the desire to be able to take "your digital life with you".

1. Unicornpiss

"Ok fanbois this is how it should've been done"

--still utterly despise Apple's UI. Just saying. The Linux (and Android) folks apparently realized long ago that when an OS tries to think for you, it gets your intention wrong a huge proportion of the time. (for me, that's for sure)

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

They also copied the price

Android fans constantly complain about several things about the iPhone: 1) lack of SD slot, 2) lack of removable battery, 3) overly large bezel, 4) high price - even the $100 premium to move up to the next storage tier

This phone copied all four of those features exactly from the iPhone, so if Android fans go gaga over it, they've never got any room to complain about Apple again. :)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: They also copied the price

No no, the higher price is a major selling factor for the iPhone (as in "reassuringly expensive").

2. JeffyPoooh
    Pint

You had me at...

"3.5mm headphone jack"

WINNER!!

1. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

Re: You had me at...

>"3.5mm headphone jack"

>WINNER!!

If only someone sold really, really good cordless headphones..

What's that you say? They do?

Oh.

1. Darryl

If only someone sold really really good corded headphones at a small fraction of the cost of cordless ones, which also have the added benefits of being harder to lose, no charging needed...

2. David Paul Morgan

I know a lot of people like cabled headphones, but I havn't used them since my Xperia Z1C and my Sony noise-cancelling bluetooth headphones. NFC tap-to-play - brilliant.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Awww thats sad

Sad they had to copy the iPhone 4 to get sales of the thing. Cross out the privacy issues with anything Google related and the bloated interface of what Android is and maybe I'll think about it. But now with that old design I'd rather have an iPhone 7. Can't do its copy, the Samsung line as they explode. So iPhone 7 it is!

1. DryBones

Re: Awww thats sad

1) Rubbish. All phones look very similar these days, that's what happens when designing following the concept of minimalism. The designers put on their big boy pants and stop faffing around with stupid bodywork that serves no purpose.

2) Turn off personalized ads. I seem to recall Apple advertises too, don't they? If they're not doing some sort of analytics they're not getting much for their impressions because they're poorly targeted. If they -are- ... oh dear. That would make them the same as Google.

3) This is pronounced "Nexus" (The 5X and 6P, to be specific).

4) See 1.

5) Have fun not knowing (3.5mm) jack!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Apple doesn't collect your personal data to sell to marketers. Google does. That's ALL Google does - that's literally their entire business! Time you accepted that.

The only thing Apple does with targeted advertising is that it has its own ad network that is an option for developers to use in iPhone apps. Those apps don't get any personally identifying info unless you give it to them. Most use other advertising networks because they are less picky about the ads that allowed and the information they're allowed to use (i.e. the others are more willing to screw you over, so they pay better)

1. fandom

Don't be absurd, Google don't sell your personal data, that's their biggest asset.

They sell ad placement based on that data that nobody else gets to see.

1. messele

No you are right, Google doesn't actually sell the raw data that they are collecting from you every second of the day. More like they sell data and services derived from the common pool of data collected.

They do however still themselves know an extraordinary amount of data about anybody who routinely uses any of their services, even indirectly, and they are manoeuvring themselves into a position where they are the expert on every nuance of information about you.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

What's sad, is Apple sell your data too, you just don't realise it. You somehow think payign £200 over the odds for your mid-range Apple thing somehow means they don't sell your data. Go read the privacy policies, they are doing EXACTLY the same as Google (and Microsoft, and Facebook, and Yahoo, and Linked-In, and Twitter).

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Sorry AC, but you're wrong on that. Perhaps you ought to actually READ Apple's privacy policy and compare it with Google's before making such a stupid statement.

4. Barry Rueger

Sigh.The Cloud.

Run out of storage space for your pics and videos? Google is offering unlimited storage (in the cloud) for free.

Is Canada the only place where wireless companies rob you blind for data?

Unlimited cloud storage is of limited use when you're only getting one or two gigs a month.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Sigh.The Cloud.

Exactly. Unless you have unlimited bandwidth with no data caps, throttling, or roaming charges then this isn't a viable option. The fact that many cellular carriers charge exorbitant prices for bandwidth, have stupidly low data caps, charge even more for roaming data use, & generally rape you for daring to want to USE your data plan, Google's offer of supposedly unlimited storage is pointless. We can't afford to USE any of it, will die of old age before most of our data can be transferred "to the cloud", & that all assumes that we have a signal with which to synch. Here in the States it's notoriously crappy anywhere other than along a freeway corridore, in a major metro area, or inside the carrier store itself. The moment you leave the freeway, go outside the city, or exit their store your signal goes to shit. If you only have one bar & are forced into 2G/3G modes then you're not going to be doing anything "in the cloud" anytime soon. It'll take you longer to read your email than your battery will last, so uploading that 12MegaPixel image isn't gonna happen.

The fact that it has no SD capability so we can take our music, movies, & files with us on trips that won't have adequate coverage (or any at all) other than the onboard storage that will fill up quickly with apps, games, & OS updates, that pretty much kills it right there. If we can't GET a signal then we can't stream music, Netflix, or anything else to keep us busy on that long plane flight. (Don't assume there will be cell/wifi on the plane, nor that they won't charge you out the arse to access it.)

*Sigh* Google, you were SO close with this phone. An SD slot, removable battery, & a price that didn't feel like an Apple raping... Evidently you decided to not merely emulate the fruity fucker but BECOME them. Pity. I guess I'll keep my money rather than give it to you...

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Had to get a local sim on a trip to Ottawa a couple of years ago - seriously eye watering prices. Not least as I had unlimited calls and data in the UK for 15 quid a month at the time.

1. werdsmith Silver badge

If people only accessed data through their cellphone service then yes, but all that unlimited storage is available to you when you connect using the WiFi. I rarely have to go on the mobile data for anything significant. There is so much WiFi, home, office, high street.

1. David Nash Silver badge

"There is so much WiFi, home, office, high street."

Home - Check

Office - Some offices. I dare say some don't want people connecting non-business phones to it, and some don't have wifi probably. Some people don't even work in offices.

High Street - Check....oops out of range...next...check! Oh, got to sign in....next...Hm, dodgy signal...next...insecure, nope give that one a miss...next...Oh sod it I'll try mobile data...

But if you are away from these places then you are reliant on mobile data. Trains for example. and the service just isn't good enough.

I don't understand why some people are apparently rejecting the idea that some of us have good use cases for SD cards. Why do you care?

5. Kevin McMurtrie Silver badge
    Meh

Another one

Looks like any number of "flagship" phones but costs up to 50% more. The radio is a bit better, the camera a bit worse, and the microSD slot is gone. Lenovo/Moto, Axon, Sony, etc.

6. Andrew Jones 2

"from the swipe notifications to the quick access to key settings and applications."

Sorry - are you taking the piss? You do know Android has had swipeable notifications and quick settings (natively) since KitKat (Android 4) ?!

7. Adam 1

is there a Pixel 5c?

You know, the one with a 5% slower CPU, a bit less glass and aluminium and a bit more plastic, a camera with a smidgen less terapixels but with a pricetag that more resembles the Nexus 5?

8. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Kieren, I love you

The new Pixel phones are available to order now.

Not a needless prefix in sight. Can someone please pass the memo on the other hacks?

As for the review: not sure what slide notifications or quick access to settings are but I think Android had both before IOS. The two OS have been growing closer together in look and feel since Apple dropped the skeuomorphic shit.

9. Bob Rocket

SD cards and Batteries

Not everyone has need for extra storage or battery capacity all the time so it makes sense to have these facilities in an external device.

A single USB3 device that has SSD, Battery and USB hub all in one (you could put a keyboard and trackpad on there as well)

1. Dan McIntyre

Re: SD cards and Batteries

You mean kinda like, oh I dunno, a laptop...?

1. Bob Rocket

No, not like a laptop at all.

A plug in device the same size/shape as the phone that provides

1. a fold out keyboard with trackpad (because you whinge about onscreen keyboards)

2. extra battery capacity (because you fly 17 hours a day)

3. more storage (because you carry 10,000 hours of video on your person at all times)

4. extra USB ports (because you can)

In the unlikely event that you are only going to the Pub for the evening, you can leave it at home and only take the phone.

1. Charles 9

IOW, a docking station. Not a bad idea if one existed, but last I checked you can't use USB on the go AND charge at the same time unless you use USB Type-C. So for listening to music on an external device for a transoceanic flight, you're in a dilemma.

10. Yves Kurisaki

So Google finally made an iPhone

It even costs as much as the iPhone.

Where are the "Apple copies everyone but Google is great" evangelists now?

11. messele

Doesn't matter how great any aspect of the physical specifications are...

...Google is and will always be HAL 9000 in your pocket and any loss of focus on this fact is a very dangerous thing.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Doesn't matter how great any aspect of the physical specifications are...

Maybe closer to the marketing department of the Sirius Cybernetics Corporation.

1. Chika

Re: Doesn't matter how great any aspect of the physical specifications are...

...and when it breaks down or starts to annoy...

12. jzl

People will pay for that?

Google is the world's biggest advertising agency.

They're persuading people to pay them to walk around with a Google-provided GPS locator beacon.

That is genius. Kudos.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

iPhone frustrations

built-in battery? yep

no sd card? yessir!

next!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: iPhone frustrations

Upvote, no SD slot is a must have for my usage.

No SD slot ?

No Thanks.

1. Charles 9

Re: iPhone frustrations

"Upvote, no SD slot is a must have for my usage."

I hope that's sarcasm since I can't conceive a use case where you MUST NOT have an SD slot.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

it's revolutionary

the battery will last you 1.1 days! BUY NOW!!!!

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

For Google, Europe, as usual...

... has only two countries: UK and Germany.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: For Google, Europe, as usual...

That's one better than most Americans can usually think of.

1. Spanners Silver badge
        Flame

Re: For Google, Europe, as usual...

And two better than Google tends to think of.

16. Czrly

In 2016: If it isn't water-resistant, I'm not interested.

Since the beginning: If it doesn't have an SD-card slot, I'm not interested.

Since the beginning: If the bootloader and recovery are locked in a way that I can't unlock, I'm not interested.

I honestly hate Sony with a passion (for their bloatware, ad-ware, business practices and DRM and "acquisitive" corporate anti-competitive strategy...) but I have to say that I have high hopes for Sony's open device programme. I am stuck on an old Xperia Z1 for the moment, but it's rooted and that makes it brilliant - everything just works and the bloatware is gone. It has all of the three features mentioned above and would work out the box for consumer use, too.

All I want is more of the same - better batteries and Gorilla Glass for longevity.

Oh... and Android had that notification bar with the ability to swipe down (and then in various other directions for various other effects) while iOS was still showing modal pop-up dialogue boxes and Apple were still trying to convince the user-base that true multi-tasking wasn't a real requirement. Get your facts straight!

17. Pen-y-gors

$649?

I thought you only paid the Apple tax on Apple products?

18. Syntax Error

Motorola

We've been here before with Google. Google are not a serious player in anything apart from search engines and advertising.

19. Nameless Faceless Computer User

Read the fine print

Using Google's cloud storage, read the fine print. You are prohibited from storing a long list of prohibited content, begging the question how would they know and why would they care? Perhaps because they're a bit too generous with sharing your files with the world.

When you upload or otherwise submit content to our Services, you give Google (and those we work with) a worldwide license to use, host, store, reproduce, modify, create derivative works (such as those resulting from translations, adaptations or other changes we make so that your content works better with our Services), communicate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute such content. The rights you grant in this license are for the limited purpose of operating, promoting, and improving our Services, and to develop new ones. This license continues even if you stop using our Services (for example, for a business listing you have added to Google Maps).

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Read the fine print

I'd almost like to buy one of these, just to use the unlimited space to store a folder called - Dossier On How Google Are Taking Over The World. I'd just fill it with every piece of nefarious dealing they do over the years, and make plans for submitting the work as evidence in a trial to get google's business practices stopped.

I'd love to see how they used that content for their benefit :)

20. Hans Neeson-Bumpsadese Silver badge

"unlimited cloud storage for free"

I read that and for some reason it felt like there are rather sinister overtones. I'm sure I'm wrong though...they wouldn't really be offering to store all of my stuff, just so they can mine my personal data in order to sell targeted advertising.....would they?

21. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"Google is offering unlimited storage (in the cloud) for free."

Until "some users are abusing it" etc. We've been there before.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like