back to article Kindle Paperwhites turn Windows 10 PCs into paperweights: Plugging one in 'triggers a BSOD'

Plugging a Kindle Paperwhite into a PC running Windows 10 with the Anniversary Update installed sparks a full system meltdown, it is claimed. Connecting the Amazon e-reader to a fully up-to-date W10 machine via USB triggers an immediate Blue Screen of Death, according to complaints on Microsoft's support forum. All the trouble …

Drivers everywhere

Once I changed my AT power supply to a ATX one. I had to install a driver to make ACPI shutdown work. It told this to a Linux pro, and he quipped thus to a colleague of his: "What did I tell you? One day Windows will need drivers for the case screws too."

Silver badge
Thumb Up

Re: Drivers everywhere

drivers for the case screws

Have an upvote.

// now cleaning coffee off my keyboard

Windows

I can see the humour but experience suggests that this should not be a laughing matter.

Silver badge

You have moved the mouse. Windows must now restart.

There's a reason I'm friends with the penguin.

Silver badge
Coat

"What did I tell you? One day Windows will need drivers for the case screws too."

Obviously never heard of a screw driver...

Silver badge
Happy

screw driver.

Our IT folks are running short of keyboards, and the looks they are casting in my direction are not friendly ones...

Silver badge
Unhappy

"drivers for the case screws "

DON'T GIVE THEM IDEAS!

"This device has been serviced by an unauthorised dealer. You have voided your warranty"

Silver badge

"One day Windows will need drivers for the case screws too.""

Apple actually do this. Who else remembers the special long Torx driver for the SE/30 and Classic? And then there's the Pentalobe screws on iPhones.

What is the point other than being needlessly obstructive? You open it, it's now your problem. A Warranty Void if Removed sticker is simple and obvious.

Silver badge

"Our IT folks are running short of keyboards, and the looks they are casting in my direction are not friendly ones..."

You might want to invest in some cling wrap to cover your keyboard before reading El Reg. It never pays to get the BOFH's attention. :)

JLV
Silver badge
Joke

Not everyone knows about those.

“Well, you can't drink your screwdrivers, can you?”

“What else would you suggest that we do with them?”

"Vodka and orange juice.”

Silver badge

Apple actually do this. Who else remembers the special long Torx driver for the SE/30 and Classic?

The earlier Macs needed a special tool to remove the back. Except the business my friend worked for were too tight to pay for one. John first had to make sure the customer was out of the room* before performing the following trick. He'd place the Mac screen-side down on the floor. Then he would rapidly strike opposing sides of the machine with his fists while simultaneously lifting them slightly. With a very loud bang that would pop the back off what was a very expensive machine.

* Usually this was achieved by asking for a cup of coffee. On a bad day he'd get so high he couldn't sleep when night came.

Happy

Shrug

For what it's worth, I have a Surface Pro 4 on Win10 pro and a self-built desktop on Win10 Home, both fully patched with the aniiversary update and subsequent KBs.

Neither have any issue with my Kindle paperwhite, Android phone or any of my cameras when connecting via USB 3 or 2.

The desktop is only used for gaming and photo editing, the Spro is basically the same exept for the gaming.

Maybe it's a confuence of various bits of other software causing the issue? I dunno. I don't tend to install much exept for updates to the stuff already there.

Capture 1 pro, On1 Photosuite and a bunch of games from Steam.

Gold badge

Re: Shrug

"Maybe it's a confuence of various bits of other software causing the issue?"

A lot of USB3 chipsets (or their driver stacks) are still fairly crap in my experience, and by "fairly crap" I mean that the USB 1 and 2 functionality is broken, leading to random disconnects or other trouble.

Re: Shrug

And I evidently have issues spelling except.

Every year I celebrate the day I moved away from Windows to OSX.

Now I spend my time doing my job, not f*cking about with my tools.

Silver badge

bastardised shit

"I recently [installed] the summer Anniversary Update for Windows 10 on both my laptop and my desktop which went without any errors."

should read:

"i recently upgraded a previously upgraded operating system. i have shit sat on top of bastardised shit. it installed without any errors, well, any errors like stopping me from opening a browser and checking my email. the deeper, underlying total fuck up nightmare that my installation has now become is invisible to me except when i try and do something other than browse the internet"

this may be only for some value of the total number of "upgraded", but i'll bet its happening on fresh installs too.

Silver badge

Bah!

Booting with paperwhite lugged in: machine does't hang looking for a bootable windows image?

Connecting paperwhite while machine is sleeping: paperwhite isn't erased and bricked in that order?

Progress, then.

The weird thing is that in previous fails, Millenium and Vista, they backtracked in a single generation, XP and 7. Now we have 8,8.1,8.2,10, and no sign of them giving up.

Maybe just me, but i'd say this points to someone's ego just plain not being able to accept their "new shiny" was actually a turd from the go.

Given that business is about profit, maybe it's time said person is shown the door... For shareholders good et all.

Makes a change

There was a time when the headline would have read "Plugging device into Windows 98 does not cause BSOD" I would have said Windows 95 but it did not really know what a USB device was.

Silver badge
Linux

I have a Kindle paperwhite and have NOT had any computer problems

I transfer all my books to my Kindle paperwhite by plugging it into the computer. Haven't had a BSOD or any other computer problems like that for over a year.

Of course, I'm running Linux Mint. No data slurping. No ads. It just works.

I'm hoping that Yet Another MS Cockup encourages more Windows users (and I used to be one) to try out Linux Mint. It installs dual boot so you can take baby steps if you need to. "Computer Users of the World, Unite! You have nothing to lose but your BSODs, ads, spyware and crippleware!"

Re: I have a Kindle paperwhite and have NOT had any computer problems

This can't be repeated too often: anyone who's still afraid of Linux, still mired in the propaganda about how "it's not ready for Prime Time," needs to realize that Linux is already far easier to deal with than Windows.

Linux installs in minutes, not hours. It's free of all the nags and crapware and DRM. It has built-in support for an astounding range of devices, and it doesn't break when you update it (at your convenience, not some idiot's halfway round the world). It Just Works. What's more, the UI - depending on which one you choose and how you configure it - can easily be more like Windows than Windows itself. For example, Mint's MATE UI comes with an alternate 'Start' menu that mimics the beautifully simple hierarchical menu of pre-XP Windows. You don't need 'extras' like Classic Desktop, because the desktop is already 'classic' in ways Windows has forgotten about.

No, Linux can't take over every task from Windows. But it can take over a great many of them (e.g. Calibre for e-books) - and the ones it does take over tend to work easier and better than on Windows. Not everyone gets this yet. I was at a Linux developer conference this week, and as far as I could tell by peeking over people's shoulders, I was the only one carrying a Linux device.

I've been a Windows lover since version 3.0. Today I run Linux on two portables, Windows on my main desktop. More and more, I look forward to using the portables, and dread returning to Windows.

"Linux installs in minutes" - quite

On this i7 laptop even a heayweight like OpenSUSE took just 15 mins to install from a slowish USB stick (complete of course with a goodly selection of office/graphics/photo/multimedia/internet progs. and admin tools). After that it depends on how much updating your distro needs and how fast your connection is. But it's all usable whilst it does this.

As to whether you need Windows - well I don't and my interests are photography including developing RAW , video editing, and all the usual office stuff + a vast array of scientific software most of which is developed on or compiled for Linux.

Silver badge
Happy

"After that it depends on how much updating your distro needs and how fast your connection is. But it's all usable whilst it does this."

As I type a kernel update is installing itself on a couple of my openSuse VMs.

I can happily carry on with stuff I'm doing in them, and when the update is done, it will let me postpone the reboot for as long as I wish.

In other words, even a fundamental update such as one to the kernel doesn't get in the way of work in progress.

Silver badge

There some pretty good, if somewhat obscure, photo software available on Linux. Some of it is commercial.

Silver badge

"No, Linux can't take over every task from Windows. But it can take over a great many of them (e.g. Calibre for e-books) - and the ones it does take over tend to work easier and better than on Windows. Not everyone gets this yet. I was at a Linux developer conference this week, and as far as I could tell by peeking over people's shoulders, I was the only one carrying a Linux device."

But where are the games? Many of us won't and likely CAN'T move until progress is made there.

Anonymous Coward

The problem is exactly that 'obscure'. You don't know the quality of them. How good the profiles for cameras and lenses you don't know. Were the professionally made, or are they amateurish ones? Community efforts may be great, but are not always the proper solution.

Can I use also third party plug-ins and tools which could simplify, streamline and improve the workflow?

Support for output devices can be an issue as well. My displays and printers comes with vendor supported software for OSX and Windows only. Calibration spectrophotometers as well. Sure, there are third party software that *may* work with them (sometimes losing some functionalities), but why should I risk?

Why spend many thousand of dollars on quality hardware, and then risk less optimized results using software that tries to replicate original functionalities with no direct access to the product specs, especially in an OS where proprietary drivers are frowned upon?

If my aim is to deliver the best products to my customers, ensure consistency, and be able to access fully external services for what I can't produce in-house, I won't take a route that can hamper my business.

Galaxy J1 Mini. No BSOD. Insta reboot.

Not every time, but three times now I've plugged it in to charge and had my machine immediately restart.

Silver badge

Ubiquity leads to iniquity

At some point in the past as windows became for most intents and purposes, ubiquitous, MS decided that they had reached the point where they owned the World and no longer had to give a rat's arse what the Users thought needed or even wanted.

That point seems to be a while before Vista was forced on the Users with KY and a rubber glove, incredibly, they managed to overcome Vista but I don't think it was because we wanted something better so much as they had an attack of serendipity.

By now, having given the World hope with XP and 7 they are really insistent on letting us know who's the boss and who the bitches are. Well there are an awful lot of bitches out there who, having been shafted repeatedly are likely to tell the boss to go screw himself.

10 having superceded the non-event that was the 8 series couldn't be a clearer way of telling the World to 'Fuck off 'cos we don't need you no more'. So let's go!

My next move is Mint and a new email to get away from the intermittent 'something happened at our end' crap called Outlook.

Windows

What's next..........

http://www.infoworld.com/article/3108405/microsoft-windows/microsoft-changes-win781-updates-pushes-even-harder-for-windows-10.html

http://www.infoworld.com/article/3108572/microsoft-windows/a-peek-at-the-future-of-windows-7-and-81-patching.html

Oo-er missus.

JLV
Silver badge

a slow motion trainwreck

Not directly related, but did anyone notice that Win10 doesn't support the old .chm help file format? Really great when you have old software that still runs, but w.o. help files.

The best thing one can say about 10 is that it is not 8. But really MS is doing its best to frustrate as many of its loyal users as it can. I mean, the Linux folk are elsewhere. The Mac folk too. They are not coming back. They won't be pleased regardless so they don't matter much to MS.

But this constant stream of fairly high profile glitches and annoyances, along with telemetry, security holes, churn in system UI, bad system UI is not doing much to keep existing users around on Windows. No, they may not care about FOSS principles and on Linux. They may not be stylish and cost-unconscious and on Mac.

They may not be cutting edge IT and they may not even really know what an OS is.

But at some point, they may still just get fed up with Windows and leave. I don't see that happening any time soon with corporations. But individuals? What is the patience point when it is just not worth getting another PC with Windows? I suspect that's one of the reasons why tablets are replacing desktop/laptops for a lot of casual users - at least they are on Android/iOS, not Windows.

Silver badge

Re: a slow motion trainwreck

Companies will probably try to keep 7 alive passed its announced execution date. This is an even bigger problem for Slurp than consumers leaving initially. Consumers will be a slow bleeding away to other devices/OSes and Slurp may not spot the trend until too late. Businesses often have 100's if not 1000's of PCs and a few large migrations away from 'bloat will get some attention.

Silver badge

"But at some point, they may still just get fed up with Windows and leave."

And then COME BACK because the software they need doesn't run anywhere else. You might as well be Walking on the Sun...

Silver badge

"Companies will probably try to keep 7 alive passed its announced execution date. This is an even bigger problem for Slurp than consumers leaving initially. Consumers will be a slow bleeding away to other devices/OSes and Slurp may not spot the trend until too late. Businesses often have 100's if not 1000's of PCs and a few large migrations away from 'bloat will get some attention."

Many of them are also held hostage to their infrastructures, and by that I mean all the existing software they have that likely has no substitutes and can't be found in any other OS, likely because they're custom jobs made by companies who (a) must be paid an exorbitant sum for a new version or (b) simply don't exist anymore. And what about the mountains of Microsoft Office stuff full of custom scripts and formulae and delicate formatting?

Silver badge

Not directly related, but did anyone notice that Win10 doesn't support the old .chm help file format? Really great when you have old software that still runs, but w.o. help files.

The writing has been on the wall for .chm help for a LONG time. The WinHelp viewer (the program that displays .chm files) has not been included with Windows since Windows XP (Vista was the first version not to include it).

The WinHelp format was deprecated because it is possible to write malware that exploits the format, so that's not entirely a bad thing. What is a bad thing is context-sensitive help in Windows programs died with the format -- HTML help has never been integrated into applications in the same way, and Windows applications are the poorer for that.

It has been possible to download a Microsoft utility program to view .chm files in Windows versions from Vista to Windows 8.1. There is apparently no equivalent utility for Windows 10.

See this Microsoft Knowledge Base article.

That doesn't help if you have an old application with good WinHelp help but can't view it under Windows 10, of course.

"And then COME BACK because the software they need doesn't run anywhere else. You might as well be Walking on the Sun..."

Why do people keep repeating this FUD? I'm a network and systems administrator. There are only two applications I still need for work that require windows. I very seldom use either. Both run fine in VirtualBox VMs. One actually runs better in a VM than on bare metal, due to quirks in how it's networking interacts with VPNs. There used to be more, but most of them now have Linux replacements. My need for windows has shrunk dramatically over the years.

Crashes and Telemetry

Just had a quick look on the forums linked to in the article. Why is Microsoft asking for dump files, system configuration files, etc when all this stuff is supposedly sent to Microsoft in their Telemetry to help them improve and diagnose Windows 10 issues? Surely they've been automatically sent all these crash reports along with the relevant system details to help them come up with a fix?

I don't get it.

Silver badge

Re: Crashes and Telemetry

"I don't get it."

The crash ALSO crashes the telemetry tool. A failure cascade that takes out both the process AND the watchdog that's supposed to be guarding the process.

Telemetry sends your contacts, e-mails, programs installed, files opened, keys pressed and other such relevant information in order for MS to continually and dinamically provide you with a better experience.

Crash reports and other such nonsense are to be provided by the user in case of crashes.

Silver badge

"Crash reports and other such nonsense are to be provided by the user in case of crashes."

But there's such a problem as the thing that crashes being the crash reporter.

Big Brother

"...It sounds like Windows is trying to mount the filesystem on the Kindle as a removable storage device and getting completely confused..."

It sounds like a driver 'on the wild side'. Think is going to be discretely managed in between two.

You need to be prepared for any eventually with the Win10 beast.

12 July when KB3172985 (OS Build 10586.494) was applied, the system was wrecked. I had to resort to USB and lost all data.

As far a Amazon is concerned, I've ditched my Kindle. When I want to do a free download, Amazon routes it via itself and wants to charge me. It's not so much a tab as a business model for Amazon.

Linux

SOP

Windows QA is astoundingly bad. Written on and sent from the Linux machine that was a Win10 until never ending updates fracked the WiFi and clock for the fourth time.

Silver badge

What's next?

First they took away my webcam, but I said nothing.

Next they took my books, but still I said nothing.

Next?

Configuration (out of) Control

Some people say the BSOD only happens when they plug their Kindle into a USB 3.0 port, others say inserting it into a USB 2 interface triggers the crash too. Some people always get a crash, some most of the time, and others have reported experiencing no problems at all.

In other words, the design of the operating system makes how it interprets and executes a piece of code in one App depends on the specific state some other App provided by some other vendor.

Windows ceased to be an operating system by any reasonable definition of the term long ago. Calling it that doesn't make it so. Do I recall some perceptive commenter using the term "train wreck"?

Windows 10 Anniversary Train Wreck. Has a nice ring to it, does it not?

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Forums

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2018