back to article Microsoft promises free terrible coffee every month you use Edge

Microsoft is so keen to attract users to its Edge browser that it will pay people to use it. Folks in the US can earn credits that can be spent in the Microsoft online store on things like three months of advertisement-free Outlook and Amazon cards. Microsoft won't let you just run Edge and cash in: it will monitor user's …

Edge?

I had totally forgot about that

Anonymous Coward

Re: Edge?

You must not have Windows 10 yet... Microsoft will not let you forget it. They won't even let you remove Edge from the add/remove programs utility, like it is essential to the OS being able to run or something. They even write "Microsoft preferred browser" under it on the search bar... in case people couldn't figure out which browser they prefer.

You mean like the way iOS won't let the user remove Safari? Or Android won't let the user remove Chrome or the Google app store? I'm amazed that techy people waste so much time worrying about whether they can remove software that isn't doing their machine any harm and that they can simply choose not to use.

Silver badge

"They won't even let you remove Edge from the add/remove programs utility, like it is essential to the OS being able to run or something."

I wonder what EU competition regulators will make of that. They didn't like it when MS pulled that trick with IE.

Silver badge

"I'm amazed that techy people waste so much time worrying about whether they can remove software that isn't doing their machine any harm and that they can simply choose not to use."

Well, that outs you as a non-techy. Not that we had any illusions.

You couldn't uninstall Internet Explorer either. What's your point?

They want to give you a reward for using it?

Let me see what's going on here.

Microsoft Edge. Shite.

Starbucks coffee. Shite.

Since when do you reward people for using shite with shite? The clue's in both names.

Silver badge

Re: They want to give you a reward for using it?

Since when? Since, I dunno, the last 100 years?

Silver badge
Joke

How do they stop people with tools like selenium from starting a script and walking away?

BTW if Robert Rankin hears about this I wonder if he (or Elvis and Barry) could sue.

Silver badge
Alien

Upvoted purely for the Elvis & Barry-the-cosmic-sprout reference.

My goodness, it's far too long since I read those. Thanks for the reminder. Must also read "Apocalypso" again.

Icon looks a bit like Dilbert Norris, the rub-tugger --->

Silver badge

Odors

The odor emanating from this dim idea will gag the stoutest of stomachs. This reeks of desperation especially considering that Edge is only available on one OS. If Slurp wants people to use it they need to release to many more OSes and versions.

$260 since Feb 2013

I've gotten $260 worth of Amazon $5 cards since February 2013 when I started this. I certainly don't mind the 5 minutes a day it takes. It usually takes around 3 weeks to acquire enough points for another gift card. Might be slower once they change though, since I am not on Windows 10.

Silver badge
Happy

Re: $260 since Feb 2013

Ha, that's nothing, I regularly see postings on other sites' comment threads telling me how their "sister's cousin's boyfriend makes $4000 a month working for google"....

Anonymous Coward

Re: $260 since Feb 2013

It takes less time if you use a script bot on Chrome. Bonus - You can still use Google for actual searches.

Anonymous Coward

Edge has possibilities to be a great browser. But the UWP structure made it strange. I regularly use Bing to search videos. It's better than Google from this side. But of course duckduckgo is default.

Edge is not a universal app. Yes, it is on all Win10 devices, but it's part of the OS install itself, not a UWP.

Anonymous Coward

I didn't say anything about it being UWP app. I said it has UWP structure. It works/behaves just like one of them and in it's core it is also a lot like them(as far I know).

@franwick

"Edge is not a universal app. Yes, it is on all Win10 devices, but it's part of the OS install itself, not a UWP."

You have been misinformed. Edge is a universal / UWP app. It's just not updated or listed in the store.

bjr

You dont' know what bad coffee is

You are obviously to young to know what bad coffee is if you think Starbucks is terrible. Before Starbucks American coffee was swill. I'm old enough, 62, to remember what coffee was like before Starbucks. We didn't know how bad it was and my parents generation, who had been through the Great Depression and WWII, didn't care. They only cared that it was cheap and plentiful and that's what was sold in the US. I found out what real coffee tasted like on a trip through Italy in 1980. I was young and staying in cheap pensiones. In the morning they gave you a cup of coffee and it was nothing like the mud that was served in the US. Even the most expensive restaurants in the US served awful coffee. The only place that I knew of that served a decent cup of coffee was a mafia hangout in the North End of Boston. Starbucks changed all that. Starbucks changed the culture so now there are craft roasters everywhere and anyone can make an excellent cup of coffee,

As for Microsoft, it's truely sad that they have to pay people to use their browser, and it's a sign of real desperation that they have to give away $5 cups of coffee, that's real money, as opposed to giving away cloud storage space which is virtual money.

Silver badge

Re: You dont' know what bad coffee is

Starbucks always was and is shit. Starbucks changed nothing except to convince people to pay too much for shit coffee.

Windows

"The only place that I knew of that served a decent cup of coffee was a mafia hangout in the North End of Boston."

@bjr

Sounds interesting. Was it expresso based (Gaggia machine) or did they use mokapots for each order? Or filter? I assume that the - er - management were from Naples or Sicily.

PS: local franchised Starbucks in the coach station can do reasonable filter coffee when I swing through on the early morning commute. Depends who is on.

Silver badge
Headmaster

expresso espresso

Anonymous Coward

It is reminiscent of the Rodney Dangerfield line from Caddyshack, "This is the worst looking hat (browser) I have ever seen. You buy a hat (browser) like this I bet they give you a free bowl of soup (cup of coffee)"

Silver badge

$5 cups of coffee, that's real money, as opposed to giving away cloud storage space which is virtual money

Uh, venerable ancient ... you know ... about that US dollar....

Then I guess my local coffee shop must be really desperate. Every time I go in I see a little pile of rewards cards that entitle the user to a free coffee after 10 or so coffees are purchased. And Macy's must be really desperate and hard up, since every time I buy a shirt there they try to get me to sign up for a rewards card. And don't get me started on United Airlines and their frequent flyer program. Must mean that all their planes crash and I shouldn't get on one, if they have to stoop to such levels to gain customers.

FAIL

"But they do it too!"

This is such a schoolyard retort! Anyone that defends someone like Microsoft's atrocious privacy invasion practices with the defense that Google/Android is "just as bad" is:

A.) Completely failing to address the point raised

B.) Presenting a false choice

People very concerned with privacy can leave that beaten path and install vanilla Android/ModOS/some clean ROM with little effort, or pay a techie to have it done. Nobody is making you install Google Play services. You can get apps from lots of places.

Re: "But they do it too!"

It's not remotely childish. I looked through the EULA for Windows 10 that has everyone up in arms and it was virtually identical to the ones Apple gives you when you buy an iPhone and the one Google gives you when you buy an Android phone. Yet I don't see 1000 stories all over the web about how Google and Apple don't care about your privacy.

As for installing another OS or ROM on my computer or phone, no thank you. I'll stick to the one that came with my computer, the one that provides me actual support with a real person on the phone, and not waste my time whining about the "Windows tax" of maybe $50 I paid for it.

Bronze badge

Cut it out already

While you are at it sort out the issues when printing pdf's from within edge.

I'm getting really pissed off at customers complaining about long \ more than 5 minutes to print pdf's. It works fine from foxit and acrobat reader and for some reason its extra clicks to set the default app to anything other than edge. Most users can't figure out how to do it, now it's part of our call out procedure to check that they are NOT using edge ffs, like I haven't got enough to do.

Silver badge

Fuck off MS (Marketing Sluts)

I hate, HATE these waste of fucking time marketing gimmicks that nickle and dime us and that actually benefit nobody.

Re: Fuck off MS (Marketing Sluts)

Then there's a simple solution for you: don't sign up for them. I'll keep right on getting my $100+ per year for using Bing Rewards, use it to pay for Prime, and use the money I save that way to Microsoft's Groove Music service.

Anonymous Coward

It is just bad brand marketing on MSFT's part.... I guess there isn't much else they can do to get people interested, but they are basically establishing Windows, Edge, Bing as concretely inferior to Google's offerings. Also, they can never ever stop providing these "rewards" or people will feel cheated.

Anonymous Coward

It is pretty crazy that MSFT can be paying any random person $100 a year to use their stuff and enter searches, probably more in some cases as if people are really into this they could get a bunch of accounts going at the same time and script searches, etc. This has to be costing them a fortune. It was just a US program so it was somewhat limited, but now they are opening it up to the internationals.... There is no way this can continue forever though, if you think about it. MSFT can dip into their Office and Windows cash pool for awhile to subsidize all of this other stuff, but they can't pay a billion people a $100 a year ($100 billion to Amazon and Starbucks). Even if they are paying a few million people that amount, they have to be running well in the red in these divisions.... If Google wasn't their competitor (and soundly beating them), this would be a big anti-trust issue.

Anonymous Coward

Another way of thinking about this though is that MSFT is making you work off the amount you paid for your copy of Windows... whereas Google just gives people the OS.

Right...so if one supermarket offers me green stamps and other doesn't, it must mean the second one sells better products?

Companies create and end rewards programs all the time. The only way they could make me feel cheated would be if they refused to honor rewards points I had already earned. So far Microsoft has not indicated any intention of doing so.

I would say that this move concretely establishes the superiority of Edge. I know Google is tracking me all the time when I use Chrome. With Edge I am tracked only if I sign up for a rewards program and am signed into my Microsoft Account. Meaning that I can turn the tracking off whenever I want to by simply signing out of my account.

In other words, Microsoft treats you as the customer and lets you decide how you want to pay (cash or in time). Google just treats you as the product. Google's free giveaway of Android ought to be illegal under antitrust laws.

Anonymous Coward

"Right...so if one supermarket offers me green stamps and other doesn't, it must mean the second one sells better products?"

That's exactly what it means. Companies who are doing well don't give away cash to get you to come or use their service.

Notice MSFT doesn't have Office Rewards to get you to use Office, because they would just be giving away cash for little upside (even though Office is the brand that could easily afford to hand out cash to customers, certainly the brand that is paying for Bing Rewards).

Anonymous Coward

What? Giving away, i.e. open source, software should be an anti trust issue?.... Ballmer, is that you?

Silver badge

"so if one supermarket offers me green stamps"

I didn't know they were still a thing. Haven't seen them since the 70s or was it the late '60s? I had a couple of full books when they pulled out :(

"Companies who are doing well don't give away cash to get you to come or use their service." Or they are doing well and want to kill whatever competition they have. It amazes how in this whole discussion it's just been assumed that this rewards program "isn't working" for Microsoft. The numbers don't bear that out, as Bing's usage share has climbed from nonexistence 6-7 years ago to a third of the US search market. Microsoft has also made successful deals to have Bing power searches on other devices such as Amazon's Alexa.

"Notice MSFT doesn't have Office Rewards to get you to use Office, because they would just be giving away cash for little upside (even though Office is the brand that could easily afford to hand out cash to customers, certainly the brand that is paying for Bing Rewards)." Actually, in a manner they do, since Office is now bundled with OneDrive storage. I remember a few months back a lot of people got pissed off at Microsoft because they got rid of the "unlimited" OneDrive option bundled with Office and reduced the cap to 1TB. Someone I was talking to in a forum said he was going to switch to Google/Google Apps. I pointed out that the same service from Google Apps (1 TB of Google Drive space) cost $10 a month, or $120 per year. An Office 365 subscription, which includes the desktop version of Office, cost $70. It's amazing how some people are willing to cut off their nose to spite their face.

The Justice Department's entire case against Microsoft was based on its giving away Internet Explorer. Android is based on the Linux kernel but it is not open source since OEMS need a license from Google to use it.

Silver badge

So, who wan't to be MS's low rent biatch?

Unhappy

19 days for one coffee?

The first few weeks after foolishly upgrading to Win 10, I was actually quite impressed with the Edge browser. Many months and updates later, and it nearly unusable. I'll click on a link, wait a few fruitless minutes, open IE or Firefox, click the same link, and get the web page almost instantly.

Edge usually waits until I try filling out an online form several minutes later before stealing focus by finally popping up.

Even if MS were awarding free coffee every day, it still wouldn't be worth using that monstrosity.

Starbucks==Edge==Sucks

You couldn't pay me enough to drink the swill that Starbuck's tries to pass off as coffee, and decades of IE have proven that MS knows nothing about browser implementation. I'm so glad that I have good choices that allow me to avoid either Edge or Starbuck's.

Anonymous Coward

If the coffee is up to the usual Microsoft standard.....

An awful lot of coal dust is going to be exported.

Maybe British coal will see a revival ;-)

Silver badge

Bah!

Once again, ball dropped.

They should have leveraged the "free" Windows 10 mandatory download whether you want it or not technology and taken a leaf from the Chechnyan hacker mafia and gone the "use BING three times today or your hard drive will be encrypted" route.

Is everyone asleep at the wheel at Redmond?

Happy

I'm totally in the dark...

Why isn't Microsoft tempting us with something which really matters to the average consumer? Like, for example, points to be used to shop at Wal-Mart?

Oh, never mind...it just struck me-- not millenial enough. Hog swill trumps butter and eggs every time.

Re: I'm totally in the dark...

$100 a year in Amazon gift cards trumps $100 in "points at Walmart" every time. I don't have to drive anywhere to shop on Amazon and they have much wider selection.

Big Brother

SearchBot

Has anyone running the search bots to game this system checked to be sure it's not spam-searching PTHC and similar? I mean it'd be a good idea to know that before a van shows up outside your door.

Still... It'd be good for laugh. "Here's your $5.00 coffee and violent interrogation. Will there be anything else sir?"

Bing overinflated figures

Having people's scripts over-inflating Bing search numbers reminds me of the Silicon Valley episode where the skinny bloke (I forget his name, he is brilliant but his character is pure magnolia) where they are so happy when their user base is growing. Comedy is best when it is true

Not as bad as you make it sound

The Bing rewards program actually swayed me from Google. There really is very little difference in the quality of results between the two - each engine "wins" from query to query. As a part time photog I do like the Bing images and it is now difficult to use Google as my daily engine. So, point being, if I am rewarded for doing something I do everyday with a product that has equal quality to a product that doesn't reward me, then yes, I want the stuff.

So, on to Edge. I will say the anniversary update version is significantly better than the previous version. It is a very promising browser now that it has extensions (AdBlock Plus is the main one I use). I find Edge to be faster and of course we all know it sips your battery thanks to some MSFT tweets. So, I find it very good (not great) and am using it daily now. Give me the rewards.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2018