back to article Google doesn’t care who makes Android phones. Or who it pisses off

Google could use defeat in the Oracle case to take Android proprietary, reckons analyst Richard Windsor, who thinks development for this watershed event is already well underway, as we reported last week. Google would then be able to bring the ecosystem up to date much more quickly than it does today. Last year’s Marshmallow …

Page:

1. illiad

Re: Be careful what you wish for!

yes, this the major problem with an otherwise great OS... android is getting the 'windows disease' in a bad way...

They foist an unwitting buyer with tons of upgrades, that the poor person has no idea about... most likely scaring them to apple!! :O :O

Then the app devs ALSO do the same thing, oblivious to the fact that they are for an OS that is 2 years older than the one on the phone!!!

I am still the owner of a Gs3, with ALL updates switched off...

1. x3mxs
    Holmes

statistics....

"Statistically speaking, the number of people who upgrade their 5.x Android to 6.x is almost zero".

Realistically speaking people can't upgrade because the phone manufacturer won't release the new version OS and even if they do, the phone provider will ensure it get buried...

So that if you want to get the new Shiny OS you got to renew the contract and get a new Shiny Phone...

I bought myself a Nexus 5 and albeit it's hasn't all the bells and whistles I had in my Samsung, I am kept up to date really often, with all the security advantages....

And once this phone will die, I won't surely go back to Sammy ....

2. Jim84

The big handset makers will fall divided

If the big handset makers (Samsung, Sony, LG, HTC etc) could get together and promote an alternative open Android, they could probably pull it off.

But committees are difficult and slow, so this will probably never happen.

About the only way this could ever happen is if Microsoft brings back Nokia Android X and really pushes it, but that isn't likely either. I think they are hoping that x86 somehow spreads to the mobile space. It looks more likely that ARM instruction set chips will spread to the laptop desktop space. Why do google's chrome OS laptops run on x86 and not ARM?

1. Charles 9

Re: The big handset makers will fall divided

I don't think so. I think the two spheres will remain divided: x86 on the bigger stuff, ARM on the smaller stuff. Institutional momentum and a lot of legacy stuff will keep the desktop firmly on x86, plus there's little need for crossover: the desktop world and the mobile world are different enough that it's extremely difficult to picture an all-in-one, particularly if you run into the conflicting demands of performance and power savings.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like