back to article A UK digital driving licence: What could possibly go wrong?

Security vendors have welcomed plans to trial digital versions of the UK’s driving licence. The DVLA (Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency) is working on a digital version of its driving license for smartphones, to serve as an "add-on" to the existing plastic card. DVLA chief Oliver Morley tweeted a snapshot of the prototype …

Silver badge

Switching to a smartcard licence ...

... and making it mandatory to carry whilst driving (as in every other civilised country in the world) would make more sense.

Re: Switching to a smartcard licence ...

If it's that feckin smart, why does it need me to carry it round ?

F.Off with Mandatory ID by whatever door you came in.

We are civilised because we trust each other, we don't need to prove our id, our actions speak louder than words,pictures and Official ID.

Do you really trust your Goverment to do 'The Right Thing' without oversight ?

Silver badge
FAIL

And that's why there's so much car related crime in the UK compared to elsewhere: anyone fool can drive vehicles around without any documentation whatsoever. Carry on!

That's just silly.

You're saying only bits of paper can drive cars. Are you asserting google driverless ought to eject the human?

Unhappy

I've had only one positive experience of the DVLA.

At one time I had two cars where the Road Fund Licences (I'm not quite old enough to remember when the tax was spent on roads) expired at the same time.

Both renewal forms arrived in the same envelope!

The second car is somewhat elderly, and, although the paperwork has progressed through old-style logbook, through V5 and then to V5C, the DVLA continually have problems dealing with it. At one point the "VIN" written down at the MOT testing station didn't quite match that derived from the Logbook. Obviously the same vehicle to anyone with Common Sense, but not to the DVLA. I took copies of everything, including pictures, to their local office for them to put in the internal mail. I got a tax disc while I was there (built before 1973, so no charge) without problem, but they lost the package, resulting in another threatening demand from Swansea.

Having resubmitted my documentation, Swansea sent me another V5C.

The following year, I went to the post office to get a tax disc. Having learned by now, I have everything scanned, including the "receipt". Six weeks later I get a demand from the DVLA to return the disc. Apparently the post office clerk was in the wrong for copying the taxation class from the V5C onto the disc. The DVLA had incorrectly changed the class on the V5C from "Historic" to "Not Licenced", and were complaining about the fact that I, and a post office employee, believed them. I sent off the scans, but refused to send the disc until I had a replacement (and yet another V5C).

I'm glad that these days I don't have to show a disc; I just have a reproduction of one from when the car was new. In those days everything was dealt with in person at a local office. Remember that "Handing in on the first will not do"?

Re: I've had only one positive experience of the DVLA.

I know your feelings. I got so sick of trying to register a motorbike I gave up and just made up a reg. the local plod knew who I was anyway. Nobody seemed particularly bothered back then.

Actually, "back then" wasn't all that long ago. Bum!

Silver badge
Coat

"DVLA chief Oliver Morley tweeted a snapshot of the prototype driving licence on his iPhone"

Why does Simon Moffatt Oliver Morley have a driving licence in the name of Neil Evans? I think questions need to be asked!

(Just got that correction in before the edit window closed!)

Silver badge

"Sorry, Officer... I can't show you my license because I'm using my phone to record this traffic stop!"

Hilarity ensues.

What an insane way to run a Motor Vehicle regime. I pay C$90 for my annual automobile license renewal and and C$90 for my 5year driving license. Our Ministry of Transport doesnt care about anything else, although I do have to tell them about my insurance. And I do it all over the internet if I dont think my picture needs changing. Otherwise, I go for a 1 hour (in queue) visit to my local Service Ontario office and have a new picture taken. The new drivers license shows up in the mail in a couple of weeks. If I sell my car, I keep the plates and then visit the Service Ontario office and give 1/2 of the owner ship paper to the new owner to take to the Service Ontario office to register the vehicle in their name

They can't stuff you realistically because you need to drive. UK gov *thinks* mass transit is in order so we get taxed.

My car used to do 26mpg around town. It now does 18mpg. Traffic calming. I'm likely to ask for an inhaler next time I see the doc.

Silver badge

Bah!

@ShadySid crashed speed trap + peelers in pursuit. tweet us a DL tootsweet TVM #schtum.

Silver badge

And I thought the California DMV was bad...

Nothing compares to this nonsense. Yes, we here in sunny California have this miraculous public service bureau call the Department of Motor Vehicles (commonly referred to as the DMV). They issue drivers licenses and vehicle registrations. Licenses are issued every 4 years (I believe the last one cost $15 or so) and vehicle registrations (which include vehicle property tax) are anywhere from $50 to much more (newer cars). Other than the lines in the local office (about 1/2 day if you don't have an appointment) they aren't too bad. If all you need to do is simple payments, online with a credit card will do, and you can even change addresses as well. The nice drivers license (generally accepted as identification) has a nice mug shot (for quite some time since 1950 I guess) and they changed to color back in the 70's. Luckily you can keep your old license (while they make you a new one you get a note saying "in process") and you go from there. My experience is that they have been relativetly error free (they do serve a population of over 30 million, so I suspect that there are some errors). Overall it has worked out well. The current form is a nice mag-stripe credit card size thing with ALL sorts of validation stuff (holograms, raised signatures, etc.). We haven't gone to virtual (stored on an iPhone) ones yet, but you never know with the younger set so attached to their devices.

Me? I'm afraid that you might need to insert your license in a slot to get a vehicle to work, and it will broadcast on request to the policeman following you the details. It might get scary in that case. Or as was mentioned above "what could possibly go wrong?".

Re: And I thought the California DMV was bad...

That sounds terrible. This is supposed to be the land of the free?

We're moaning in the UK because some of us have to pay <$100 to renew some shit we're not forced to.

Yes, we might get arrested for not having it but it isn't illegal.

Anonymous Coward

DVLA

Is it because they're Welsh or that they're civil servants that they're so good at their jobs?

Silver badge
Black Helicopters

NFC?

Why would you need NFC on a driving licence, unless you were planning on extending the licence's purpose to other areas?

Lolz

I'm (Now) a 55 year old trucker. When you get to the age of 45 you have to go or a FULL medical to make sure you're not going to die at the wheel (or less likely anyway).

I received my "Section 88" at the beginning of March. My Licence expired the day before my 55th birthday (DOB 20th April) so I quickly had my medical and sent it all off.

3 weeks later the replacement still hadn’t arrived so I did the online check and it showed my LGV had expired.

So I phoned them up and was made to feel like a naughty schoolboy for asking about it.

Basically they said "You've got nothing medical wrong with you so you're ok to drive" But that won't wash when you're stopped by DVSA at 02:15 on a rainy monday morning and they check online and... Your licence has expired !

They impound the wagon !! So our company wouldn't let me out on the road. Miraculously the shunter had a load bar fall on him and was off for a fortnight so I covered in the yard for him.

The licence still hadn't arrived or the online version updated two weeks afterwards and the shunter was due back. I had to get them to Fax our company a "Section 88" cover note for me.

I got my shiny licence back last week with my nice UK flag on it !!

I really don't hold any faith in the licence being digital !!

http://i.imgur.com/WJ0Qh4J.jpg

Anonymous Coward

Oh dear God.

As someone who in the not-too-distant past was contracting at the DVLA I can attest to the fact that they really need to slingshot Oliver Morley into the sun. Less time dicking around with "fashionable apps" to make your balls look bigger, and more time actually sorting basic processes out and fixing the existing things that aren't even fully implemented yet (Verify for one!)

FAIL

Re: Oh dear God.

Verify. Don't get me fucking started on that.

Turned out I needed to sign up to it to submit details of changes in personal circumstances for an adjustment to my tax code via gov.uk or whatever bullshit name the Web 2.x types have dreamt up this week.

Why they can't passport across my Government Gateway ID that I've been using for well over a decade for Tax, VAT, blood doning and God alone knows what else and thus should be more than good enough to verify my identity I can't fathom. Other than sheer incompetence and lack of understanding. Oh yes, see "Web 2.x types".

Anyways, go through all the rigmarole, 30 minutes later get verify from the Post Office because I distrust them slightly less than the other providers on offer. Of course, they've ambled off to the credit reference agencies for info to ask questions that might confirm I'm who I say I am. Go back to the gov.uk site, sign in, submit the changes. Sorry, for some reason I totally forget now the changes I want to make can't be submitted here. Please call us or write.

So I go back to the old HMRC site with my GG ID. Happily submit the changes via that route which is mercifully still working, new tax code issued within 2 weeks, no painful phone call or expensive letter required.

Someone please put the almost-entirely-still-Beta-flagged gov.uk and the crowd who work on it at the Cabinet Office out of our misery ASAP and tell HMRC there's (comparatively) little wrong with what they're doing at the moment and rip-and-replace is NOT required after all.

Bronze badge

If you can't even get it together to get a driving licence why should you be allowed to vote?

I'll stick with my pre-photocard all-paper licence for as long as it remains legal thank you very much.

It's a government department...

...I would be more inclined to ask "What could possibly go right?"

Silver badge

What's the point?

A driving licence has only one purpose, to show that you are licenced to drive a vehicle. You need to show it to a car hire firm if you're renting a car, or to a police officer when requested. In the latter case you have 48 hours to produce the licence at a police station.

That's it. So why would it be 'handy' to have it on a phone if you're only going to show it to someone once in ten years?

A driving licence is NOT an ID document. Same with passports - their only purpose is to be shown at borders to allow you to enter a country.

When someone asks me for photo ID I say i don't drive and don't have a passport, and what are they going to do about it. This is the UK, ID is an alien concept. If I say who I am that should be sufficient for anyone, unless they know to the contrary.

David Cameron

10 Downing Street

London

TRT
Silver badge

You get pulled over...

Can I see your phone? Oh, that came to hand rather easily... Whammy you with a mobile use fine.

Devil

Elementary...

Well, combine it with ANPR/speed camera and facial recognition...

"You have....FIVE...points remaining on your licence...."

Windows

Back to the old days?

"Good Consternoon, afterbul! I'm not as drink as you thunk I am"

"Can I see your driving licence"

"Hic - here"

"Where's your counterpart?"

"She's getting rat-faced in the pub, naturally!"

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Forums

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2018