back to article 'Apple ate my music!' Streaming jukebox wipes 122GB – including muso's original tracks

Apple Music users are being warned after one fella says the streaming service deleted more than 100GB of files from his computer. Studio director James Pinkstone said Apple's subscription-based service stripped approximately 122GB worth of music, including his own original compositions, from his machine seemingly without …

Page:

1. Dan McIntyre

I use Amazon Music to buy music and have uploaded all the CDs I ripped over the years to it as well. I also use One Drive for photos and documents.

But I also keep a backup of everything on a separate hard drive which I keep with me at all times in my backpack. This includes new music I buy from Amazon - I have my app on all my machines and devices set to automatically download new music and then this gets transferred to the hard drive at some point too.

Lesson learnt a year or so back when I lost some old photos which I thought had been uploaded to One Drive. Turned out that folder hadn't sync'ed and I deleted the originals on the machine thinking they were in the cloud.

2. Cuddles Silver badge

Why I never use sync

This isn't a problem with iTunes, it's a problem with using "sync" functions at all. If I copy and paste files from one device to another, I know exactly what has been moved and where it's been moved to, as well as what might have happened to existing files with the same names and any other conflicts that might arise. If I use sync, all I know is that some things that were in one place might now be in another one. But I don't know what has actually been copied (all files, all new files, all files that don't already exist in the new location, etc.), where it actually is, or what might happen in various conflicts and edge cases. Worse, even if documentation is available, the software could be changed and start behaving differently at any time. A sync function could do exactly what you want for years, then suddenly delete all your local files one day because someone has decided that's how it should work instead.

The part I really don't understand is why anyone bothers in the first place. Syncing doesn't add any convenience. If I want to backup my phone, it's quicker and easier to just copy and paste all the files than it is to load up some badly written interface software, wait for it to actually find my phone and figure out what to do with it, and then carry out so unknown sync function that may or may not do what I expect but ultimately just boils down to copying and pasting anyway. If there was added convenience I would understand why it seems to be popular, but it seems people are happy to enjoy the added risk and uncertainty in exchange for also being less convenient. Weird.

1. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken Silver badge

Re: Why I never use sync

With the possible exception of the PalmPilot, sync never works the way you want it to. Ever.

2. Seajay#

Re: Why I never use sync

I don't know where you've got the idea that sync is a manual process. If it was, you'd be right that it's not so useful. The reason people bother is that it can be automatic. Automatic is good because it means that when you drop your phone in a lake and your laptop hard drive dies, all those photos you took of your kid's first steps and the novel you just finished are waiting for you on your other devices. You might reasonably say, "that's not sync, that's backup" and you'd be right but you can use it to cut your backup bill. Instead of backing up every version of every file on every device you sync them all to one place then back that up. Also, even if I'm out and about and offline, work I've done on my pc is sat there on my phone if I need it rather than only on a NAS I may not be able to reach.

I'm using bittorrent sync to sync camera phone photos and docs between my desktop, laptop and phone (and KeePass DB, which is the killer app for me). Seems to work fairly conservatively, if a file is deleted on one device it won't be immediately deleted on the others but moved to deleted items and kept for 30 days. I haven't really tested it for conflicting changes. Thanks for the reminder, I will do.

3. Matthew 17

The software has issues but still a user error

If you want a streaming service with no local content then the software will sack off your local music collection. If you're a spod like me that has 15 different versions of the same album and 50 different versions of the same piece then a basic streaming service isn't going to work. If you ever accidentally push the button to let 'iTunes organise your music' and witness the instant clusterfuck it makes of all your perfectly organised files it's instantly clear how such a streaming service isn't going to work. There's little concept of albums, different recordings or performances, they're just tracks, it's 'this song' by 'that artist' that's all it seems to understand, if you have straightforward music listening habits then it might work.

I may be one of those odd people that still buys music but I have 1000's of albums all ripped to the computer and use iTunes to play them, other than the software being really slow and clunky after version 10.x I can't say I've ever had something go missing or lose access to my music. If I'm working on a new song then I'll bounce it as an MP4 to iTunes and copy that to my iPhone to audition in the car, again this is more laborious with all the extra shite they've had to add for Apple Music, it would be nice to be able to switch all the extra features off and turn it back into the good ol' days of the iPod.

But if your music library is important or vital to you, don't run software that you know will delete files!

1. Andy A

Re: The software has issues but still a user error

Windows Media Player is nearly as bad. Several times I have spent ages carefully populating the metadata of an album's tracks only to notice shortly afterwards that some of the tracks have disappeared.

Hunting around often locates the file, badly renamed, in a folder created by WMP called something like "uvva muusik\best traxx in worrrrdl eva", and with the metadata stamped over with something irrelevant which uses the wrong case for every letter, even where a real word appears.

Apparently, Microsoft employ people with this level of language skills ( scyllz ??). The people who ring you pretending to be "Windows Technical Support" do better.

4. ZippedyDooDah

I have it fixed in my mind that "Apple" is an anagram of "Rip Off".

The definition of "anagram" is definitely wrong in my dictionary.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019