back to article Furious English villagers force council climbdown over Satan's stone booty

Outraged villagers in Bucks have forced the local council to ditch plans to shift a millennia-old boulder they believe was originally part of the Devil’s foot. The Soulbury Boot is believed to have been cut off from Satan’s lower quarters in an ancient fight between Lucifer and the locals in Chapel Hill, Soulbury. It is also …

Legal nonesense...

I hope the locals campaigning against the removal of this rock remember that the devil is in the details.

Gold badge

Re: Legal nonesense...

You mean that this rocky problem could also lead to outcomes to their detriment, and then the boot would be on the other foot, with a hard to shift obstacle in their way - and then they'd be between the devil and the deep blue sea?

Anonymous Coward

Love the comment in the original article..

"Let's bear in mind this is about one person who's crashed into this stone in over 11,000 years"

You can't fault the guy for the accurate risk assessment, although I note that in earlier days it had a lamppost nearby. Maybe it's worth re-establishing that one, that would also provide power for a huge sign with a massive arrow pointing at the stone, just to make it clear to other minimally talented drivers.

That ought to suffice for another 11,000 years.

Silver badge

Sue the glacier that put it there!

Anonymous Coward

"Sue the glacier that put it there!"

That's sexist - why can't a generic glacier be male? ..or is it like the C&W song?

Silver badge

Rock? That's not a rock.

It's barely a grown-up pebble.

Silver badge

Re: Rock? That's not a rock.

Depends how far it extends underground...

Rename the road "Highway to Hell"? Or "Highway to a small bit of Hell's boss"? Or "Look, we know it's just a rock, but we can all pretend, can't we?"

Coat

Rename the road ...

Spinal Tap way?

Silver badge
Coat

"Depends how far it extends underground..."

It's the tip of an underground rockberg!

(rockrock??? hmmm...)

Bronze badge
Devil

Belief?

Nobody seems to have remarked on the fact that the article asserts as fact that the villagers "believe" that the rock was part of Satan's foot.

Gold badge
Devil

Re: Belief?

Be careful. The last person to argue this (or that normal people don't marry their sisters), got burned in a giant wicker shoe.

A rock in the road???

And nobody questions why the road was built around the rock in the first place?

That's what you get when you subcontract. Lazy shoddy arse work

Anonymous Coward

Re: A rock in the road???

"That's what you get when you subcontract"

Maybe the owner didn't want to sell.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/china/9696468/Chinese-home-with-easy-motorway-access-and-ample-driveway.html

Silver badge

"Maybe the owner didn't want to sell."

Or :http://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/wiki/index.php?title=File:M62_Stott_Hall_Farm._-_Coppermine_-_16890.JPG

Silver badge
Thumb Up

@Doctor Synax Upvote for mentioning Stott Hall Farm (and beating me to it).

I used to drive past there regularly on my way across the Pennines to York.

Who took the sword out?

Silver badge

Damn metal thieves!

This is the work of the devil, as he did walk near(ish) by

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Devil's_Footprints

Upvote

Just for referencing one of my favourite tales out of the Readers Digest book "Strange Stories, Amazing Facts" which was the first book I read that really got me to open my mind and think critically about things, and contained reports about that phenomenon.

Got me into a proper interest in the paranormal, UFOs, myths, and the explanations thereof - great stuff for a young mind to stretch into.

As a result of all that, I also know far more than is healthy about the occult and the paranormal. Always great for polite conversations.

So upvote for bringing back some fun memories! And if you see that book in a charity shop/on eBay, snap it up.

Steven "doesn't believe in ghosts and things, but they are fun to think about" R

PS: Put a bloody traffic island around the rock, this shit isn't difficult, unless you work for the fucking council, where breathing and walking at the same time is considered the height of personal achievement.

Anonymous Coward

Re: Upvote

As a result of all that, I also know far more than is healthy about the occult and the paranormal. Always great for polite conversations.

More to end polite conversations :)

Does the indelicate driver weigh the same as a duck?

Anyway, burn the witch!

Ah, the charm of local traditions from local places....

In my world

Motorists crash into lamp posts, illuminated keep left signs (other types of illuminated street signage equally vulnerable) bridges, each other, pedestrians, cyclists (I know, I've weakened my case)

We could paint everything yellow and erect barriers around it but that still wouldn't solve the problem that 99% of motorists think they are above average drivers

Anonymous Coward

Re: In my world

"We could paint everything yellow and erect barriers around it but that still wouldn't solve the problem that 99% of motorists think they are above average drivers "

And ... more than half of them are right (assuming that the 1% who don't think they are better-than-average drivers are probably all correct)

Stop

There's always one ...

A friend of mine used to live in Namibia. His work used to involve driving across a bit of the Kalahari desert that was so flat and empty that there was no road - you just took a compass bearing and set off.

In all those kilometers of emptiness there was one tree - a baobab. It was such a distinctive feature that it was marked on maps. Then one day someone drove a truck into it, irrecoverably damaging the thing.

If that tree got hit, then a rock in the middle of a highway stands no chance. Sooner or later some idiot will always come along.

('Stop' sign, obviously)

Anonymous Coward

I would put it to you

that all the 'bloody moron' comments here are from those majority drivers who think they're nigh-on if not actually experts at it - and so are complacent drivers, i.e. accidents waiting for a place to happen.

And not (veteran) bikers.

Silver badge

Re: I would put it to you

It's not (just) the fact he hit it that people are mocking. It's because he doesn't see any blame on his part and is suing for damages.

Silver badge

Devil connections...........

You do all realise that the "Devil" connections will date from pre-Christian pagan religious rituals, and that the stone may well have been a sacrificial altar, with young maidens having their throats cut while being held down on it.

Personally I think the tradition should be revived, so that anyone who damages the sacred stone gets sacrificed to the old religion. That should solve the problem of drunk women driving into it

Silver badge

Re: Devil connections...........

According to wikipedia, the devil connections are believed to have been made up by a previous pub landlord in order to get more people coming into his pub.

In other words it's all about the beer, which as we know is sacred to the FSM.

"It's hard to tell who's Old Harry when everyone's wearing boots." - G. Eliot

I say put

A constables office in front. Then there is no question of idiocy!

Bloody bureaucrats!

It's not an "obstruction". It's a "traffic calming measure". It's been there for fucking centuries, and because some gormless, inattentive twat ran into it they're going to move it?

The guy who ran into it should be charged for any scratches to this irreplaceable historical relic!

(Just noticed this: In total, your posts have been upvoted $FOO times and downvoted $FOO/6.7 times. Must try to be less agreeable.)

If...

...you don't see a 2ft high boulder in the middle of the road, one has to wonder what you are doing behind the wheel.

MJI
Silver badge

There used to be a lamp post

That would have stopped people trying to dent the rock.

That would be safer and allow people to watch it at night having its roll around

No council would move Ayers Rock if someone ran into it. If The Soulbury Boot is declared sacred by the villagers that ought to ensure it stays put. Maybe they should apply for World Heritage recognition to be on the safe side.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Forums

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2017