back to article Elderly? Disabled? You clearly need a .38" Palm Pistol

In good news for US "seniors, disabled or others with grip limitations due to hand strength, manual dexterity or phalangeal amputions" wishing to pop the odd cap, the Palm Pistol .38 Special is finally available for their shooting pleasure. Two views of the Palm Pistol. Pics: Palm Pistol It's apparently taken nine years for …

Page:

1. Lamb0
    Alert

Use the proper ammo...

and even the .380 becomes a viable defense option - for those of us who choose to accept the responsibility; and are still allowed to defend ourselves with a firearm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LczfeWK9lHw#t=17 Ammo Quest .380 ACP: Lehigh XP Xtreme Penetrator test in ballistic gel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PDQcE-1T40 Military Arms Channel Lehigh & Underwood .380 Xtreme Perpetrator

$1,350 is too rich for my blood, and IMHO one round is not enough! I'll keep my Smith & Wesson Bodyguard. ;<)

Given time, avoidance and 911(or equivalent) are still the best options. However, much of the time some means of defense is required to buy the time. All too often less than lethal options are insufficient. YMWV

2. theOtherJT Silver badge

How on earth do you AIM it?

Or wasn't that considered terribly important?

With no sights and a barrel length of what, an inch? I see that hitting something sort of "over there... ish" When you add in the fact that the people it's marketed to are likely not to have the steadiest of hands I foresee the words "Innocent bystander" turning up a lot in news reports related to this thing should they actually sell any...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: How on earth do you AIM it?

Aim is the least of this product's fundamental design problems.

> Not 3D printed

> No GPS

> Doesn't have a webcam or even a regular camera alongside the barrel

> No internet connection to upload shot pics (see above bullet point) to ishotwhatnow.com

> No IFF or auto-aim

> Less ammo capacity than a Nomad. Lame.

Going to stick with my steampunk Apache revolver until someone kickstarts a decent IOT personal firearm.

2. Diodelogic

It's not meant to be aimed. When someone is attacking you, they have to get close enough to hit you. At that range, "aiming" is not really needed. For heaven's sake, it's not being sold as a target pistol.

3. d3vy

"How on earth do you aim it?"

Read the last paragraph..

3. Esteban

Old news

This all happened in 2008, just Google it. Where do you guys get your "breaking" news?

1. Lester Haines (Written by Reg staff) Gold badge

Re: Old news

So the Palm Pistol went on sale in 2008? No it didn't, just Google it.

4. Anonymous C0ward
    Facepalm

'Murica.

5. d3vy

Whats the saying?

'Murrica!

6. skeptical i

And when the grandkids find them?

Most kids in Amurka know the shape of a gun, and most (I hope) are taught to stay away and notify an adult when they find one (and/or proper handling when they are old enough). Aside from "innocent bystander", I think we'll see "child" and "accident" when this goes to market.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Unhappy

Re: And when the grandkids find them?

Nope:

http://fox2now.com/2015/10/19/chicago-boy-finds-gun-accidentally-kills-3-year-old-brother-police-charge-father/

No doubt the NRA will say the 3 year old should of had one to defend himself, so it's his fault.

7. tojb

suicide special

Am I the only one thinking that the main use for this is when you only want to kill one person, and he ain't gonna try getting out of the way?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: suicide special

As I understand it, killing yourself quickly with a handgun is not that easy. At least one German senior officer tried it unsuccessfully in WW2. The thing is, you only get to practice once.

There are many much easier, more reliable and less unpleasant ways to kill yourself. I've researched them in case I develop Alzheimers - I will know if it happens.

Oh, and a thousand curses on the bishops and the politicians who have ensured that anybody with any sense will have to kill themselves before they become incapable. May the wrathful shade of Sir Terry Pratchett make your lives a misery.

8. Sceptic Tank Silver badge
    Alert

"hit the streets"..... Aiming the thing is still a bit of a problem then?

But if you're elderly and / or disabled, won't your arm come off from the recoil? Just wondering. This may be an equal opportunity weapon.

9. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge
    Joke

Vimes is going to go spare!!

This reminds me of the pistol crossbow from The Fifth Elephant: the one shot nobody expects. Given the short barrel you would almost need to press it against somebody to be sure of hitting him. At zero mm range, almost any ammo can cause severe damage. As such you might go along with Vimes' conclusion that it is a weapon designed to kill, not to deter, as a more fire-arm shaped object might. No doubt, if he found it, he would insert it where the sun doesn't shine.

No doubt various secret services who might find such an object useful have more Q-esque versions readily available

1. Vinyl-Junkie
      Coat

Re: Vimes is going to go spare!!

I believe the more appropriate quote is "Vimes is going to go totally Librarian-poo!"...

10. Vinyl-Junkie
    Joke

I still don't understand...

..why the article has a picture of the NRA Executive Committee at the top.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Stallone has the medical angle covered

Could have got it past the FDA with this ?

"Crime is the disease. Meet the Cure."

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0090859/taglines?ref_=tt_stry_tg

(and I believe Deadpool's ready to back them up on this too...)

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon