back to article NEW ERA for HUMANITY? NASA says something 'major' FOUND ON MARS

Perhaps to give the President time to act in advance, NASA says it will unveil a "major" discovery it has made on our planetary neighbour Mars later today. Nobody knows what the discovery could be, but there has to be at least some chance that at last, alien life has been discovered on another planet than our own. The US …

Pirate

Prometheus....they found it....Prometheus

Then some sod whom has been floating in space for 9 months, gets there and gets done over by the advanced bacteria that invades them in which we do not have any biological defence for.

hmmmm

who can we send first......

Silver badge

Bah!

The yanks have found the wreckage of Her Majesty's Cavorite Sphere Ares, lost with all hands on the disastrous Mars Expedition of 1889.

Silver badge

Pollution

They have discovered nitrogen dioxide generated by alien diesel engines. That's why the whole planet is a brown-red colour.

Go

Funding

I know it's old but here goes.

In a bid to find more funding to ensure future space missions, NASA are to announce the discovery of oil on Mars...

On a similar notes, finding water gives an energy source and Oxygen for future missions, so that's dandy. There may even be other items we can make use of.

Iron Sky's Helium 3 sub plot jig wasn't really that far off the mark.

Homo Naledi remains found on Mars!

Didn't see that coming, did you?

Anonymous Coward

Re. Homo Naledi remains found on Mars!

H. Naledi were the Ancients, dintcha know.. the legends of a lost city were true but it actually sank beneath the quicksand waves on a completely different planet. Namely Mars.

(scuttles back under a suspiciously crab shaped rock)

Allow me

Allow me to end the speculation. They found Elvis.

I'm surprised that no one has suggested Mysterons yet.

We know that you can hear us ...

Silver badge

Not rocks, socks

They might have found the other end of the wormhole where all my socks go to or come from.

I put pairs into the washing machine and I always end up with either an odd sock or two dissimilar socks.

Ridley Scott in: NASA bods free tickets to see The Martian shcoka!

I'm sure the former Hovis Bread commercial man had nothing to do with the timing, but I bet the 'shouty' marketeer types thought that all their Christmases had come at once...unless (of course), it's a rock.

He's not dead

"You know Elvis is dead right?"

"He's not dead, he just went home."

Silver badge

Older references

They found the skeleton of a 'Gentleman from Virginia'

New Scientist has just tweeted we'll learn what the spectrometer on board the MRO has found. The mars (sarcastic) rover also tweeted it's all about something from HiRISE.

EDIT - Ah there you go, flowing water found.

EDIT 2 - (probably)

Silver badge
Coat

It's a tripod mounted war machine of course. Or, more likely, the remains of one that didn't pass the inspection before they were buried here on Earth umpteen thousand years ago.

Mines the one with the Kindle loaded up with classic sci-fi in the pocket.

In case it's not mentioned above (SPOILER ALERT):

It seems that what's going to be announced is the presence of water (sometimes) on the Martian surface.

Its actually 'running water'- according to the press release from a few mins ago.

Great.

Water. Now can we crack on and colonise the damn planet, please?

Silver badge

Re: Great.

We need a great deal more than just water to colonize the planet. Water's a start, but even our most theoretical current terraforming tech isn't quite up to that task yet.

Bronze badge

No, because they've not actually proved it yet... only that rocks show possible signs. Possibly.

Silver badge
Joke

Could it be possible the water is a spill from a McFlurry?? McD gets everywhere you know.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Forums

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2017