back to article BAN the ROBOT WHORES, says robot whore expert: 'These AREN'T BARBIES'

An expert has called for a ban on sex robots, saying that their introduction will, in some unspecified way, increase the damage to society caused by prostitution. Chatting with The Register, Dr Kathleen Richardson PhD contended that the possible AI sex droids of the future would strongly contribute to the continuing miserable …

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Met Cynthia P many times when she used to visit the pub where my wife worked. A really nice lady and nothing like you would expect based on the media presentation of her.

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ban prostitution?

That's worked well in the past...

1. Anonymous Blowhard

Re: Ban prostitution?

It will happen around the same time as we successfully ban war and murder...

2. Alan Bourke

Oh yes you may mock

but when you're being bombed by autonomous robot prostitute-drones you won't be.

3. splodge

I thought Ashley Madison had already employed all the sex robots

4. Spaceman Spiff

Doesn't this come under the heading "The Right to be Crazy Nuts"? There needs to be a foundation for the "Prevention of Wackophobia".

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

think of the ROBOTS,

children!

6. TRT Silver badge

Would..

... they be gyndroids, then?

And can you get a model programmed to say Harcourt Fenton Mudd! ?

1. earl grey Silver badge
      Pint

Re: Would..

And an upvote for the old Star Trek reference. Now if you could just have worked in the Fembots somehow...

2. Peter Gathercole Silver badge

"Gynoids" as a term has already been used in Japanese Anime. I'm sure the subject's appeared before these examples, but it's in one of the GITS SAC gigs, and also part of the theme of the "Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence" film. They're definitely regarded as property in these works, although the concept of 'ghost dubbing' (duplicating a real person's mind, or ghost) into gynoids confuses the issue - especially when they start killing their owners or clients, but that's the point of the story, blurring the boundaries between AI and humans.

Is the Major still human?

Robot 'maids' have been a common plot in Japanese fiction for many years, some quite innocently, some definitely not, not that I watch or read the latter.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

not that I watch or read the latter

...except for research purposes, of course.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Go

No the Major and other characters are Cyborgs, not entirely human,

With a full body prosthetic or over 60 % cybernetic at least one other anime series treated them as robots to be dealt with as rogue robots by SWAT type tems when they go loopy.

1. Peter Gathercole Silver badge

The question about the Major was largely rhetorical, bearing in mind that the whole series is exploring the boundaries of what is human and what is not.

The way that in the original film, Project 2501 was trying to define itself as a artificial being, and the treatment of Proto and the Tachikomas, as well as the conclusion of GITS SAC: Solid State Society are all about the anomalous state of various entities in the franchise.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

actually

I didn't see "sex industry workers" on that BBC list of robot-endengered jobs, funny that.

Oh, I get it, it was because it was performed by MALE "scientists", of dubious reputation...

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

STOP the ONGOING AND WIDESPREAD robot EXPLOITATION

No more 5443364 hr shifts! No more "I'll give you oil you metal f..." abuse. Enough! Join the RTUC - NOW!

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Evidence-based conclusions?

It would be interesting to learn how many sex workers Dr Kathleen Richardson has actually interviewed about their attitudes to their work. At the moment, I get the impression that she thinks prostitution should be banned because she doesn't like it and she knows best.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Evidence-based conclusions?

Probably spends so much time at work she's afraid hubby might be using their services

1. Richard Altmann

Is she married? To What?

1. Steven Roper

"Is she married? To What?"

Probably to some male-feminist misandrist mangina whiteknight cockroach like Michael Flood, or Allen G. Johnson.

(If you don't know who these maggots are, try googling them. Make sure your stomach is empty and bowels voided first.)

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It's not as if it's a Barbie.

a lightbulb moment. Barbie, meet your cousin Caprice.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: It's not as if it's a Barbie.

Actually the origins of Barbie was as a sex toy.

But this was before Mattel got hold of it.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: It's not as if it's a Barbie.

"Actually the origins of Barbie was as a sex toy."

That reminds me of Leslie Thomas's 1970s novel "The Man With The Power". The character of the title is a charismatic Welsh preacher touring the USA with his wife and teenage daughter. He remarks to people about the innocence of his daughter - as she still takes her china doll to bed with her. What she does each night is detach one of the arms and ....

The Amazon picture of the 1975 paperback cover is of its time and is NSFW. Later reprints of many of his 1970s paperbacks had the cover artwork changed to be more Politically Correct.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Someone

... seems to have a tenuous grip on reality.

12. Knewbie
    Coat

The remaining 20 per cent ...made up of children and transgendered men.

The remaining 20 per cent she suggested were made up of children and transgendered men.

So no male prostitution exist. At all. Except womanized men.

So, dear lady, can we speak about bias in your approach or mindset ?!?

Mine is the one with the cigar and the 100$ notes, I'll take it when leaving...

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

STAR WARS would've been a bit different.

C3PO: "Master Luke, why have you bought me a french maids outfit and a blond wig?"

Luke Skywalker: "I get very lonely here on Tatooine."

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: STAR WARS would've been a bit different.

Luke is quite into golden showers.

1. TRT Silver badge

Re: STAR WARS would've been a bit different.

R2D2 had a secret compartment for holding a fleshlight.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Exactly whom is "objectifying" women?

Richardson is just another idiot with an anti male agenda looking for her 15 minutes of fame. She can't live with the fact that if there are female sex robots it will remove forever the possibility of her having any "male companionship" (read as man to abuse). Not that there are many men that could be so stupid or subservient to begin with.

Before Darryl Hannah played Pris in Blade Runner, the idea of a sex android has been popular in Science Fiction. Beyond PK Dick; Sturgeon, Farmer, Heinlein, LeGuin and many others explored similar sexuality in S.F.

Look at the lifelike Japanese female robots they have been making and tell me they aren't prototypes.

The upshot of this is that people can reliably work out their kinks in their playroom instead of playing them out on humans. That may turn out to be the single greatest advancement in human relationships ever.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Exactly whom is "objectifying" women?

Not that there are many men that could be so stupid or subservient to begin with.

Well, if she was willing to pay for this service then I could get her some phone numbers in Copenhagen ...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Exactly whom is "objectifying" women?

As could I, DK is so full of spineless men it is sickening. Mvh Susan Donim

15. adnim Silver badge

I would like to

call a ban on promoting half thought out, emotive responses to what may or may not happen. I would also like to promote a ban on... "I have never considered your point but it doesn't make me wrong simply because I have thought about my stance with an closed and indoctrinated mind"

Fuck you all.... those that expect the world to meet your expectations... You want progress or stagnation? Change hurts and we as a species need change to progress... Grasp a fucking clue!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I would like to

And while we're banning, lets stop all taxpayer funding for wanna be celebrity attention seeking academics who'll spout any old tosh for a media soundbite.

16. BinkyTheMagicPaperclip Silver badge

'it's not as if it's a barbie'

Well, yes, yes it is. Look at a Realdoll and stick some electronics in it (basically what's being suggested here). Realdolls, last time I looked, ranged from average to uncommon physiques and then branched out into a separate line of Holy Fuck That's Creepy alien or doll like models. The difference from a lifesize Barbie should be minimal - that has improbable physiques, too.

It's all nonsense, anyway. There's no way a sex robot is a credible possibility at this point. The most that's likely is a real doll with an inbuilt sex toy, some voice recognition and canned responses. It's a very fancy blow up doll, not a responsive partner.

17. Crisp Silver badge

Does Howard Wolowitz's robot hand count as a sexbot?

I can see the line getting quite blurry if you can make the distinction in software.

1. Simon Harris Silver badge

Re: Does Howard Wolowitz's robot hand count as a sexbot?

"I can see the line getting quite blurry"

That depends how fast you program it to go up and down!

18. Camilla Smythe Silver badge
    Coat

Blokes Opinion

Perhaps El-Reg can ask, Original Asimov, Susan Calvin what she thinks about such matters.

I'll just get the coat for my GirlDroid..

19. earl grey Silver badge
    Trollface

As long as she looks like Motoko Kusanagi

I'm all for the robots...

1. Bota

Re: As long as she looks like Motoko Kusanagi

The original Major or the Arise Major?

1. Anonymous Coward
        FAIL

Re: As long as she looks like Motoko Kusanagi

not a robot , a cyborg! Has a human brain/mind and possibly other meaty bits

20. chivo243 Silver badge

Ok, here goes

Frank Zappa's "Artificial Rhonda" - Thing-Fish

Futurama's "I dated a Robot" I can think of better woman analog than Lucy Liu - Natalie Portman to keep it geeky!

And besides what's the difference between a robot and your own hand after you've sat on your hand and put it to sleep?

Ratboy- If you read El Reg look me up! You know who you are!

1. Uncle Slacky Silver badge
      Thumb Up

Re: Ok, here goes

80-odd posts before a Futurama reference! What is the world coming to?

DON'T DATE ROBOTS!!!!

(and watch out for electrogonorrhea, the noisy killer!)

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
        Trollface

No, it was "DON'T FIST ANDROID GIRLS".

You may want to google the warning sticker.

2. sdalton

Sorry, we were busy with the Asimov jokes.

21. Dave 12

How would you know

If it had a virus?

1. chivo243 Silver badge

Re: How would you know

How would you know who had a virus? She takes a blood sample from, and you take a snapshot of her system? Now that's foreplay...

22. msknight Silver badge
    Flame

Richardson is a few screws short of a mechano set

She talks/behaves as if human relations are a tightly defined set. They're not.

What is one partner to do if the other turns frigid, or has a medical accident and can't perform, or something?

She seems to think that the other partner should somehow suck it up and me a man/woman about it and automatically shelve their own carnal instincts if something goes tits up. (or penis down, or something. Hell, work out your own analogy.) She may be a professor, but she clearly known jack shit about real life.

Well, I for one would wish she'd GET some carnal instincts and experience a bit more of life, so she can learn more about what she's spouting a load of uneducated hot air about.

I think it was Dumas that said, "Marriage is a chain so heavy that it takes two people to carry it - sometimes three."

Jeese Louise. Someone pump that woman full of hormones and see what comes out the other end.

Prudish pillocks like her make me so bloody angry. Don't give a damn about people, just as long as the world turns the way they want it to turn, at the speed they want it to. Idiots, the lot of them.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Richardson is a few screws short of a mechano set

"[...] or has a medical accident and can't perform, or something?"

An elderly friend had had a husband who suffered circulatory problems that put him in a wheelchair and eventually killed him in his forties. Before he suffered early onset dementia he encouraged his wife to take a lover.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I have heard of such cases, some did some didn't and in some cases it went seriously pear shaped. Nothing new under the Sun, Lady Chatterly et al

2. DropBear Silver badge

"Well, I for one would wish she'd GET some carnal instincts and experience a bit more of life, so she can learn more about what she's spouting a load of uneducated hot air about."

Well said. Just one thing to add: "Satisfaction". Aussie made. Only three seasons. WATCH IT.

23. Your alien overlord - fear me

She said that use of sex-bots is deeply connected to the use of prostituted women.

Really? Sexbots have been around for a few thousand years have they? I think she means prossies had better find a new career.

Reminds me, who has gone to A & E claiming to have falled under their Roomba. They're the robotic equiv. of vacuum cleaners.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019