back to article Wileyfox Swift: Brit startup budget 'droid is the mutt's nuts

If someone asked me what my ideal smartphone would be I’d say one that costs no more than £120, has 16GB of storage, at least 2GB of RAM, a 5-inch IPS screen, a removable battery, two SIM slots, space for a microSD card, the best iteration of Android available (that’s the Cyanogen OS Android fork, in my opinion) and is …

Re: Only in Britain, you say? Pity.

You have full access to the apps at Google Play Store.

Anonymous Coward

Well, my last phone was Moto G 2014, but as it refunded by Amazon, so I need a new one, but this time it won't be Moto G 2015, as it gone worst (no dual sim in Europe, no compass, no notification led) costs more and as Lenovo is new owner, this means no latest Android updates anymore.

I have looked few weeks for alternative, found none, until now. Storm would be better, but no onscreen buttons, unremovable battery, micro/normal sim/sdcard combo and same battery as swift, doesn't sound great. I'm not so big CM fan, but at least not like a lot other overpriced brands, they provide updates for a long time.

So I will go for Swift, hoping they will sell and deliver phone to Europe and most of all, have decent support.

BTW, seems swift is rebranded Micromax E455, with proper LTE bands - http://www.micromaxinfo.com/mobiles/smartphones/canvas/canvas-nitro-4g-E455

Anonymous Coward

M4 aqua is still the better phone

Sonys changes are subtle but worthwhile ,(also allowing things like tinkering with rgb adjustments to set you desired colour vibrance)

I also prefer Sonys camera and prompt update cycles, Sony also stick another 1gb of memory inside

Android M has the on request permission prompts, do cyanogen really doesn't offer much. (I stopped trusting them when their forums were hacked and attempted to install malware onto everyone PC. If they can't get that right, full OS security is questionable)

Looks like a good phone for the price point.

My concern is Cyanogen - I had this running on an Galaxy S4 and it was really buggy. Random reboots, freezes, etc

Samsung are crap at writing and releasing the drivers for their Exynos chipsets, which is why Cyanogenmod (and other custom ROMs) are buggy on certain of their handsets. And that's why my next phone will not be a Samsung - my Galaxy S3 i9300 will probably never get CM 12.1 (Android L) officially because all the device maintainers have given up in disgust.

Removable battery

That alone is a win for me, though I have to wonder how standard (i.e. easily available at at economic price) a part it is to replace? I think of this things more for durability of the phone beyond what the networks would like to believe is feasible rather than flat day-to-day endurance, though that helps too!

Silver badge

Re: Removable battery

Isn't this just a chinese-market phone with a brit label on it?

Something like the ones at http://www.thlmobilestore.com/ (and probably half of aliexpress)

Anonymous Coward

Re: Removable battery

"Isn't this just a chinese-market phone with a brit label on it?"

There are a lot of them about. See here for other alternatives.

These are sold in large numbers to markets larger than the EU and US.

Unfortunately, we really do live in rip off Britain, where only certain products are advertised.

Only impressive when available

Supposed to be able to order this today, but still no way of ordering at the Wileyfox website. All you can do there is "register interest" (did that, heard nothing).

It is, however, available for pre-order on Amazon, against a 30th September release date.

Probably a great 'phone. Not sure about the communication skills of the company !

Meh

Ooops!

Thanks to El Reg, I too had 'registered an interest' in the Wileyfox Swift....

...had a nice automated email saying it would be on sale on the 22nd September. That's today.

So before breakfast I took a look - no buying options on the site. No explanatory emails lurking in my spam folder, nothing on TwitFace... Oh! Wait a bit!

Someone there has spotted it on Amazon.co.uk with a revised release date of 30th September.

...and here on El Reg, Branta has kindly informed us of that. So it must be true!

Still no purchasing option on the Wileyfox site, still no apologetic email. Oh well.

Now I know (first-hand) what a panic it can be getting products to market, but my feeling is that if they can't be arsed to update punters with money to spend, what chances will we have when we have spent it and want service/updates/whatever?

If we do end up buying one it will therefore be via Amazon, who (whatever other flaws they may have) does have a truly effective returns and refund procedure.

Bit disappointed, but I'll survive. Anybody know the details?

Lovely glossy marketing

Thanks to Notional Semidestructor I found the Wileyfox page on Farcebook. The silence on the missed release date is deafening.

Also noteworthy is the number of unanswered (simple) questions there. I'm thinking that if one was to visit the Wileyfox offices there would just be a cardboard frontage, like a movie set !

I too have spent most of a lifetime in product development, and know only too well how release dates are prone to be missed (to the point where hitting them is actually a rarity !). But to have gone to the trouble of getting together all the marketing videos and sent out review samples, yet not to be bothered to keep potential customers in the loop is just unbelievable.

Anonymous Coward

Re: Lovely glossy marketing

Customer service - we've heard of it.

Amazon says 28 Oct now.

Meanwhile, currently the Chinese apparently have a choice of over 500 phones with 5 inch screens:

http://www.pandawill.com/mobile-phone-c1/android-os-phone-c551.html?sizes=109

Well I'VE GOT ONE

Holy thread resurrection Batman!

But just in case anyone digs this thread up.

I've got a Swift.

It feels solid and well-built, it doesnt feel like a cheap Chinese clone.. CyanogenOS - NOT CYANOGENMOD!!! is lovely and customisable and best of all is not riddling with the wretched bloatware of the mainstreamers, and runs smoothly.

The quad-core processor can handle everything I need it to do. The most graphical intensive thing I run is probably Minecraft PE and that runs fine.

It's warrantied for a year, that can be extended.

This is a 2Gb RAM, 16GB onboard, dual-sim, quadcore 13mp camera phone for 130 quid.

Absolute bargain in my book.

Alert

Re: Well I'VE GOT ONE

Double Resurrection!!!!

"..Absolute bargain in my book..."

An even better one, if you'd waited a month.

Amazon were knocking these out at £99,99 today, as one of their Black Friday deals. I must admit that my trigger finger was itching, as I watched the counter tick down the minutes til midnight, when the deal ended. But then, in a rare flash of introspection, I suddenly realised that I was being played like a cheap violin by world capitalism —and I let the offer expire, with my hands safely away from the 'Add to Basket' button.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2018