back to article Contractors who used Employee Beneficiary Trusts are in HMRC's sights

The British Government closed a window of opportunity for tax-efficient folk about a year ago that was beneficial to, and widely used by, contractors: the Employee Beneficiary Trust. Only now, though, has HMRC begun chasing those who had employed this shelter. A demand for money on income generated five years ago dropped …

Page:

1. dotasscandal
        Facepalm

Re: 99% of you are missing the point

You did not read my post, did you? I'll say it again: Under the APN (Accelerated Payment Notices), it DOES NOT MATTER what the mechanics of the "scheme" are.

Please read the legislation: http://hmrc-apn.info

All the matters is that he declared participation in the scheme on his tax return (which was the right thing to do).

You are looking at the specifics here, and completely missing the big picture: HMRC DOES NOT LOOK AT THE SPECIFICS OF THE STRUCTURE. Look: there are about 40 000 people that used various employment structures from 2000 to 2012 (after that year, the law changed) to protect themselves from IR35. 99% of these schemes where REGISTERED WITH HMRC under a system called DOTAS. They had what is called a SRN ("Scheme Registration Number"). The condition for HMRC to deliver a SRN was merely their belief that the structure could produce a "tax advantage" of some sort (even if only as a side effect). This "loan" thing is only one of the hundreds of variants of contractor structures.

Now the purpose of this "SRN" system has been turned on its head, and it is now used as part of a big cash grab by HMRC, who needs to find money wherever they can.

The key point is that the validity of the author's scheme is UNDETERMINED. IF there is a court case and HMRC loses (which is probable, because they have lost ALL cases involving EBTs to date!), they'll have to repay this "Accelerated Payment" with interest.

It is precisely because HMRC does not have a case that they led Parliament to introduce this highty controversial "pay first, argue later" retrospective legislation (more than 10 concurrent Judicial Review procedures ongoing or in the pipeline - which is unprecedented for ANY piece of legislation in the UK)

1. neil-t

The real point here is that the schemes were notified to HMRC in taxpayers' annual returns. HMRC has sat on this information for years, refused to negotiate with scheme providers to resolve open enquiries made on tax returns (a formal way for HMRC to be able to dispute the return in future).

HMRC has never sent out warning letters to scheme users saying they are liable to be pursued for income tax and NIC on the amounts disclosed (loans amounts from EBT schemes were disclosed annually in P11D forms).

2. neil-t

You are simplifying complex tax planning to the level of a drunken pub dispute. That aside, the 2008 budget shut down this particular loophole. Why do you think there's a whole industry of tax accountants, lawyers, planners, advisor and so forth ? To exploit loopholes in poorly drafted, massively complex tax legislation. If the tax system was radically simplified as they've done in Estonia then wouldn't we just all pay what was due and have little wiggle room? Write to your MP or join a pressure group There's no point complaining on here about it.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

IF

"the tax system was radically simplified as they've done in Estonia"

THEN

"a whole industry of tax accountants, lawyers, planners, advisor and so forth"

might have to find real work that they're qualified to do (?), or seek unskilled work in a flooded market, or GAIN PERSONAL EXPERIENCE OF STATE BENEFITS (sorry, recruit-ad mode for a moment there).

What's not to like?

1. Dan Paul

Don't you have a Statute of Limitations law there?

Here in the states, we have a statute of limitations that defines how long any agency has before you are out of anyones jurisdiction. It varies from ruling to ruling but a good bet is seven years.

If you steal money and, they can't tie you to the crime in that seven years and you wait to dig it up, they usually have a hard time getting any case against you.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Don't you have a Statute of Limitations law there?

No.

The thing here is that HMRC can simply say they "intend to look into your tax return" (they have one year from you filing it to do that). They do that fairly routinely, generally just before the cut-off date, in order to protect their position.

From that point on, it's completely open ended. The taxman is not bound by any deadlines (you'll understand in a minute why this is a problem)

What happened in a a lot of these EBT cases, the taxman sent an "inquity letter", then did NOTHING (no requests, no letters - litterally sat on their hands) for 10 years (and in doing so, conveyed that they took no issue with these "contractor schemes")

The following website has some interesting first-hand stories of guys caught in this mess (one is mine)

https://www.dotas-scandal.org/testimonies/

The retrospective legislation that the article talks about was, many suspect, largely brought about to cover up the taxman's inaction in closing up the tax loopholes that made these schemes prosper in the first place.

In theory, what they demand here is merely a "payment on account" that they have to repay you if and when your scheme is proven to work by the courts. Yet this "payment" can be massive and mean bankruptcy for many.

What HMRC are counting on is that most will never see their day in court, since a lot of the companies that provided these structures 5-10 years ago have now closed shop.

1. gnasher729 Silver badge

"What HMRC are counting on is that most will never see their day in court, since a lot of the companies that provided these structures 5-10 years ago have now closed shop."

Clearly HMRC should allow people to avoid any tax payment by paying their loans back to HMRC then, and everyone is happy. I mean it was a loan after all, right? And a loan has to be paid back?

1. neil-t

I'd suggest taking a step back and doing some reading to understand the very basic of loan based EBT structures. Nobody has borrowed anything from HMRC therefore nothing is owed on that basis.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Look up tax law in the US

The IRS can go back an unlimited number of years for tax evasion. They can only go back seven years for mistakes/corrections or whatever, but if you aren't paying your taxes or are doing something illegal to reduce the amount of taxes you owe, they could go back 50 years if they wish.

An interest free "loan" that you never had any intention of paying is so utterly clearly a scam I can't believe the author of this article was defending it.

2. Phil Endecott

Rangers Football Club

The only other time I've heard of Employee Benefit Trusts was in the context of Rangers football club, who were using them to "pay" their players. There was a major court case with HMRC about this which the club eventually WON (to my surprise). I wonder how/if this Gibralter scheme differs from what Rangers were doing?

FT story: http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/c53a8272-c25d-11e4-bd9f-00144feab7de.html#axzz3hOpAQKbL

1. dotasscandal

Re: Rangers Football Club

Phil, you are missing the point that it doesn't matter what "the Gibraltar scheme is (or rather was) doing".

HMRC doesn't even look at that. All they look at is that the guy has, in all honesty, declared membership in a structure they deem to be "tax avoidance" (regardless of whether this was a primary motive to join).

The specifics of the scheme are not even taken into consideration when HMRC sends out an "Accelerated Payment Notice" retrospectively ("retrospective advance payment"...an oxymoron if there was ever one!).

Oh, and about Rangers... HMRC lost twice already, and the case has just been heard again in Court of Appeal a couple weeks back. They're expected to lose for the 3rd time.

What you have to understand is that EBT were a very common remuneration structure 10 years ago, and there isn't anything particularly "dodgy" about them. Most commenters here are judging a reality of 2005 with eyes of 2015, which doesn't make sense.

2. neil-t

Re: Rangers Football Club

They won at the upper tax tier but it's still ongoing in the higher courts. It's an important case for HMRC. They'll go all the way to the supreme court.

3. batfastad

Fair share?

So in law, what is a fair share? It seems like most people here seem to think that fair share should actually be more than the amount that someone is legally liable to pay. I'd like to know how many people make additional voluntary donations to HMRC.gov.uk over and above their legal minimum requirement to fulfil their fair share.

Loopholes exist. The people who are responsible for the loopholes should do their job and close them, not whinge about people using them.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Fair share?

Allowing a company to loan people money and consider the amount loaned as an "expense" against taxes was the loophole. If it was truly a loan, at arms length and therefore intended to be paid back, then it was a loophole that may have had a purpose. Allowing a "loan" that was not arms length and not truly a loan since there was never any intention whatsoever to ever pay it back was not "using a loophole" it was a tax evasion scam, nothing more.

You are trying to change the issue by complaining "what is a fair share"? A fair share is what you would have owed if you used this loophole as intended, and actually paid back the loan at some point. Given that you did not, your fair share is what you would have owed if this loophole did not exist at all.

4. batfastad

Overpaid

Well I've massively overpaid on stamp duty since that law changed recently. And the personal allowance has increased over the last 15 years of my working life so presume my old tax returns are being automatically re-assessed according to current legislation and my refund is in the post?

Nope. There's only ever one winner.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

One of many reasons I now live in Australia

The ATO isn't perfect but it is certainly a lot better than HMRC! Also being able to claim expenses on PAYG tax is great.

Plus IR35 doesn't exist out here (we have something much less ambiguous called PSI), When I was in the UK as a contractor it was always an edge case and a worry that HMRC might decide that I fell within the bounds of it and then decide I owe them another 20% tax on everything I had paid over the previous 5 years, it's hard when you work 35 hours for one client and then have 3 or 4 other smaller ones that HMRC seem to think "don't matter" when it suits them but perfectly happy to collect the tax on earnings from them!

6. Not a contractor

Not "approved".........

Many posters have suggested that as the contractor who signed up to this arrangement was told that the scheme was "approved" that this means HMRC had agreed to it.

This is simply not the case, HMRC will not agree to arrangements of this nature without going through every inch of detail and even then it will not sign-off on such arrangements.

A lot of providers say the scheme is approved on the basis that someone (probably a professional) has looked at how it works and said, based on legislation, it can work. Again though, was the professional told everything ie that its disguised remuneration in the form of a loan that never gets repaid.

HMRC have been aware of these arrangements for a long while but found it difficult to challenge and as such in 2011 new legislation was introduced to specifically target these types of arrangements, hence the reason why HMRC is now actively chasing those individuals who participated.

1. dotasscandal
      Facepalm

Re: Not "approved".........

Not exactly. In fact, all these structures were duly registered with HMRC, and all of them had what's called a DOTAS SRN ("scheme reference number"). I remember VERY CLEARLY that when I was offered this as an IR35-insultated trading vehicle, I DID CALL HMRC, WHO CONFIRMED THAT: "as long as the scheme is registered, it's valid". I'm CERTAIN I'm not the only one.

So, contrary to what you are writing, they KNEW ALL about it. They just were fine with all of it for years.

Ironically, these SRNs are now used to send these retrospective "advance payment" demands to individuals.

http://hmrc-apn.info

2. dotasscandal
      Facepalm

Yes, HMRC had agreed to it.

You see, in these days, there was (still is) a system called DOTAS (look it up).

Any provider that wanted to market a "contractor structure" (IR35-insulated trading vehicle) had to submit an application to HMRC, who would *examine the scheme*, and if they were happy with it, would assign it a SRN ("Scheme Registration Number").

You then had to declare the SRN on your tax return.

The aim of this system was, literally, to help HMRC keep tabs on what structures are out there, and help them close legal loopholes where need be.

I remember *very distinctly* giving a call to HMRC back in 2005 to ask about one of these structures, and be told that "if it has a SRN, it's legit"/

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"I remember *very distinctly* giving a call to HMRC back in 2005 to ask about one of these structures, and be told that "if it has a SRN, it's legit"/"

An apparently simple change to "if it already has an SRN, it's already registered with us, nothing for you to do" doesn't half change the meaning of that conversation, does it. Still, easy mistake to make.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Any provider that wanted to market a "contractor structure" (IR35-insulated trading vehicle) had to submit an application to HMRC, who would *examine the scheme*, and if they were happy with it, would assign it a SRN ("Scheme Registration Number")."

Hmmm. Who should readers believe, dotasscandal's posts here or the Law Society's published position on their website since 2011?

"if they were happy with it" isn't how the Law Society's published advice sees it.

"if the scheme was already registered. Such registration is no guarantee of any tax implications" (marginally paraphrased) is how the Law Society's published advice sees it:

Source: Law Society DOTAS FAQ in 2011: section 5, Scheme Reference Numbers.

http://www.lawsociety.org.uk/support-services/advice/practice-notes/disclosure-tax-avoidance/

1. gnasher729 Silver badge

That website that you linked to contains the telling sentence

"The allocation or notification of a scheme reference number does not indicate that HMRC accept that the scheme achieves or is capable of achieving any purported tax advantage."

Having a scheme reference number only means that the promotor sent a description of the scheme to HMRC, and got a reference number back.

But even if this scheme was completely legit (and I assume it is), part of the scheme is that you received a loan, and HMRC couldn't just say "we don't believe you that it is a loan", because there was no evidence for that at a time. Instead they can wait ten years and say "you got this loan ten years ago, could you please show us when you repaid it? You didn't? So where are your plans to repay it? You haven't got any? Well, in that case we will assume that when you talked about a loan, you were in fact lying to us, and it was never a loan, but just normal salary".

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Interesting Variation on Loan "scheme"

I am a contractor, and I have always thought this scheme to be very dubious. I would never have considered using the scheme as described, as it is a clear-cut tax-dodging scam (but apparently legal).

I did hear of a far better variation on this scan, though - the money was loaned in Zimbabwean dollars! Obviously, the recipient of the loan would convert this back to a less hyper-inflationary currency immediately.

The neat thing about this is that the recipient can then pay back the loan in a couple of years - in Zimbabwean dollars and, due to hyper-inflation, do this using the change from a tenner after buying two pints.

Not saying this is any less dubious, but you have to admire the deviousness of the scheme.

1. neil-t

Re: Interesting Variation on Loan "scheme"

How many listed companies for example have NEVER used tax planning? It's been part of our corporate culture for many years. It's good that the government are making it clear that these tactics are not acceptable but at the time they were. So many large companies have avoided paying billions by clever tax planning and secret deals with HMRC. Private Eye has pages of journalism every fortnight on this topic.

2. gnasher729 Silver badge

Re: Interesting Variation on Loan "scheme"

I once read a story (long time ago) about a company paying a large part of the salary in sovereign coins, which are in fact legal tender. So they handed over ten pound sovereign coins, which you could buy for £174 and sell for £162 each with a quick web search, and paid taxes etc. for £10. And then that loop hole was closed.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like