back to article Oi. APPLE fanboi! You with the $10k and pocket on fire! Fancy a WATCH?

High-end models of Apple's Watch, which apparently has its official release tomorrow, could carry a price tag of at least $10,000. But the 18-carat gold wristputer won't have additional fancy features, according to the Financial Times. Instead, it will apparently come loaded with the same functionality as Cupertino's Apple …

Anonymous Coward

Re: Why is iWatch battery so bad?

The battery is a fraction of the size.

Performance of the device and power usage will have been scaled back accordingly. But if it's too simple and weak then it won't be successful.

Samsung's own watched don't last long either.

Re: Why is iWatch battery so bad?

> I understand what you are saying, but there is 1 major problem: nothing on the iWatch is V1. Its all mature technology, its just a different package.

So the comment I heard on t' radio, that "the iWatch is the first piece of new technology that Apple has produced since the iPad" is untrue?

Who cares

Some like watch A, some like watch B. Doesn't matter if its, expensive, cheap, functional or beautiful! What matters is if it does what you need! If it doesn't then don't buy it. Jeez, wish these things would talk about the tech.

Silver badge

Re: Who cares

@Joe 48 - Agreeing with you.

Slow day on the 'nets. There may be some type of CES or other show going on, but let's all talk about a non-functional piece of wearable tech.

Anonymous Coward

The worst thing is the cost will be high and the lifespan low.

It's using a battery with a realistic lifespan of 2 years.

$10000 is unlikely

Nevertheless, a high price serves a purpose. A gold designer watch declares "if you mate with me, there will be money for some fun, and for the child". Any other functionality is incidental.

The latest news is that Apple's 18 carat gold is not an alloy with other metals, but a composite with lightweight ceramic material. Still 18/24ths gold by weight, but only about 7/24ths by volume. See how Apple gives you less, but still gives you what you want?

The main purpose of the watch is to handle 95% of interactions without taking the iPhone out of your pocket/bag, and to register notifications instantly instead of next time you happen to look at your phone. It's the iPhone giving us back our lives at last.

Anonymous Coward

Re: $10000 is unlikely

Going by a school friend of mine who grew up to be one of the flash watch wearing dudes, more likely "if you mate with me I'll spend our income on junk until the flat get repossessed".

Re: $10000 is unlikely

... but he apparently fooled the girl, which is what the watch was for.

Anonymous Coward

Servicing and changing the battery?!?

This is an Apple product we are talking about here. It will be virtually impossible to open by design and the battery will be glued into place so it can't be changed.

jai

What, no Douglas Adams quote?

“Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy lies a small unregarded yellow sun. Orbiting this at a distance of roughly ninety-two million miles is an utterly insignificant little blue green planet whose ape-descended life forms are so amazingly primitive that they still think digital watches are a pretty neat idea.”

― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Silver badge

Re: What, no Douglas Adams quote?

'I have a well-deserved reputation for being something of a gadget freak, and am rarely happier than when spending an entire day programming my computer to perform automatically a task that it would otherwise take me a good 10 seconds to do by hand.

'Ten seconds, I tell myself, is 10 seconds. Time is valuable and 10 seconds' worth of it is well worth the investment of a day's happy activity working out a way of saving it.'

Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See, published 1990,

Sackcloth

I assume that the snickering Casio-wearers on here wear only hessian sacks? After all, the only function of clothes is to keep you warm. Spending money on anything beyond that function is just throwing money away, right?

Re: Sackcloth

Close - Primark

Anonymous Coward

Devices....

I have a Swatch - tells the time great - I do have other watches though but the cost to repair crystal glass fronts or change battery/waterproof too expensive.

I don't see that much of a market - I am already carrying 2 phones (one of those an iPhone 5S) and a tablet. For Telehealth - there are already good (sub £100) devices to take blood readings/heart rate/weight/oximeters)

If the Apple (or any other smartphone manufacturer) watch could connect to Bluetooth headsets/take calls/calendar/have Spotify app then I'd be all for it - and leave the phone at home...

Silver badge

Re: Devices....

There are watches that have 2G/3G/4G radios, but really the radios only consume yet more power. They tend to be bulky, compromised products.

Quite a few smart watches have local storage and Bluetooth, so can be used to play music.

Silver badge

Price estimates keep going up!

At first it was $5K, then it was $10K and now they say "at least $10K". Is everyone competing to estimate the highest price? Regardless, if they sell something like this I imagine it'll include free or very cheap upgrades/swaps to the latest model. That's comparatively cheap and will get a lot more takers for it than it would otherwise (though there is still a market for stuff like that with no upgrade path, or all those gold plated gem encrusted aftermarket phones from companies like Vertu wouldn't sell)

Disposable?

I can't wait to go to swimming with this on. And when the battery dies - more landfill! Joy...

Re. Disposable?

There probably is a way to change it.

Also the battery on the Watch is a variation on LiNiMn used in power tools so stable, very long lived and good for >1500+ charge cycles.

Wonder how Apple get around the "No Li-Ion sent by post" issue?

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Forums

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2017