back to article World's only flyable WWII Lancaster bombers meet in Lincs

Aviation history is being made in Lincolnshire today as the only two airworthy Avro Lancasters in the world met up at RAF Coningsby this afternoon. The two World War II bombers – one operated by the Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum (CWHM), the other by the RAF's Battle of Britain Memorial Flight (BBMF) – are due to rendezvous …

Page:

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. asdf

Re: Lancaster vs B17

Well opinions are opinions I guess. Still really as much as anything what won the war was UK Commonwealth and Russian determination and the vast scale of American production. We could build shit back then and the first Germans to realize they had lost the war were the U boat captains when they saw the number of Liberty ships heading for Europe. Note that I don't really mention Japan. They were clueless to attack us and we could probably have beaten them in two years if not for the much more dangerous Germany which is what really worried us.

1. Lapun Mankimasta

Re: Lancaster vs B17

And if they had been Confederate Ships they would've been Slavery Ships. /SNARK OFF

Actually, speaking from a Pacific perspective, the Japanese lost the war but won the peace, and they remade Asia. After the WWII the European empires in that part of the world collapsed.

And the Japanese rather punctured Churchill's reputation - sinking the Prince of Wales and the Repulse - which led to the total collapse of British power in Singapore ... no, the British presence in the Pacific was quite secondary to that of the Americans, and that was largely possible to the Indians not going over to the Japanese, and the Australia New Zealand combination providing an unsinkable aircraft carrier for the Americans to retake the Philipines.

1. DanceMan

When I was a lad, I used to see and hear piston engine aircraft flying over Vancouver in the 50's.The sound gets in your blood. My dad was a tool and die maker during WWII building aircraft here in Vancouver. My cousin in northern Alberta was part of the team that rescued a Canso (Catalina) amphibian from the Arctic that is currently being rebuilt to flying condition. I got to crawl through it this spring.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

A flight or two of Phantoms going in and out of RAF Wildenrath made a fair bit of noise over my school play ground in the 70s. As did the air displays they would put on - including the obligatory pair of nodding Harriers mucking about not very far from the crowd.

Watching Starfighters n Phantoms (Luftwaffe) and all sorts of other bloody great military noise makers was how I grew up. Leopards, Chieftans, Lucks, Saladins, Saracens and others would run up and down the road. Oh and Gazelles, Jaguars, Chinooks and others also filled the air.

Dad used to blow things up for a living (ATO) before settling down to quieter pursuits like blowing things up in demos at the local ammunition depot.

Wonder where the tinnitus came from ...

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Excellent, nostalgic page(s) of comments, thanks all. For me, the childhood aircraft sound of choice was the whine of Sea Harriers landing at RNAS Yeovilton. Certainly not a relaxing sound, but a distinctive one.

4. BoldMan

Looking forward to seeing these ladies at Dunsfold over the bank holiday weekend!

5. Rich83
    Thumb Up

Harriers

I remember being taken to the end of the runway in London to watch Concorde taking off - still one of the best engineering feats our country has produced in my ill-informed opinion. My dad's aunt was one of the very few female engineers involved in the prototype 'flying bedstead' which lead to the Harrier, another example of engineering at its best and one that nobody else seemed capable of replicating (with a single engine at least, as I understand it). The USMC must have been laughing when they picked them up from us at that price...

Anyway, here's a pilot's account of flying the SR-71 at otherworldly speeds, I can only dream... http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/vetscor/1981814/posts

1. MrT

Here's another...

... Brian Shul giving a great account of his time as a pilot, and how nearly burning to death in a crash changed his outlook on life. He's the SR-71 pilot in the famous LA Center speed check story, which he mentions near the end (it's an hour long, and please ignore all the 'trendies' at Le Web who can't do anything unless it involves a smartphone or tablet). Brian is also a photographer and it seems he has more photos of the SR-71 variant of the Blackbird family than anyone outside of the Skunkworks, many included in his presentation in this video.

1. cortland

Re: Here's another...

SR-71? I recall around 1978 or so seeing a primary (not transponder) return on an FAA surveillance radar display our detachment's civilian techs were responsible for. IIRC, the PPI returns were far enough apart to equate to some 2000 mph. They didn't need clearance above 60,000 feet.

6. Andrew Taylor 1
    Devil

If you want to see the Lanc

Go to the website posted on Page 1, the RAF website does not acknowledge anything involving the 2 Lancs that occurs north of Watford.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Delicate sound of thunder

Two Lancs in formation to the soundtrack of 8 merlins; poetry to bring a tear to the eyes of grown men.

8. Pen-y-gors

Impressively long lived

It's amazing that they can keep two Lancs flying for nearly seventy years! Sadly not true for other aircraft - Vulcan XH778 is still going now, but next year she'll hit the buffers because of the rules about flying hours for some of the airframe components, and that will presumably be that. Keep an eye open for her at shows this year and next, as it'll be your last chance

More at http://www.vulcantothesky.org/ - they need £200K to service her for next year's displays.

1. Vic

Re: Impressively long lived

Vulcan XH778 is still going now

XH558.

but next year she'll hit the buffers because of the rules about flying hours for some of the airframe components, and that will presumably be that

The wing modifications last winter are sufficient to keep the airframe going for about 7 or 8 years. The problem is the engines - there's little life left in them, according to Rolls Royce. And RR need to sign off on the engines for the aircraft to keep flying. The project expects to fly the 2014 and 2015 seasons, but that's the lot, unless some sort of miracle occurs. The display has been modified to minimise throttle movement, which gets the most out of the engines, at the cost of airframe fatigue.

http://www.vulcantothesky.org/ - they need £200K to service her for next year's displays.

It's a great charity, and they're always short of cash. The remaining flying seasons are not yet paid for :-(

Vic.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What has thiz got to do with IT?

I like fast cars but I wouldn't expect to see an article about formula one on el reg.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

The last time looked, a vulture is a bird - most birds fly.

2. JimC

to do with IT...

Three pages of posts and counting says we're interested...

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

See them together on Jersey

Due to fly together in the display in Jersey

http://www.jerseyairdisplay.org.uk/news/showarticle.php?articleID=181

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-jersey-28012462

Should be good!

11. Daedalus

Lucky me

I have actually been on board the Canadian Lanc, and I didn't have to pre-book or stand in line for hours either! Ah the joys of living in an undercrowded country! And add in a B-17, B-24, and a B-25. And a Canuck Avro Anson...

12. Neil Barnes Silver badge

For what it's worth

The gent who twenty years later became my godfather was an aircraft mechanic working on Lancasters first in Canada and latterly at Scampton.

As a child, my train set speed controller was the cabin lighting dimmer from a Lancaster. (When he died, I donated the part and a number of other souvenirs back to one of the reconstruction groups.)

13. Lapun Mankimasta

There's a Lanc sitting inside the Australian War Memorial in Canberra. Used to go look at it on occasion. "G For GEORGE" is awesome.

https://www.awm.gov.au/encyclopedia/george/

http://www.awm.gov.au/collection/RELAWM31788/?image=1#display-image

https://www.awm.gov.au/units/unit_614.asp

Then just a few years ago I got to sit inside a Bristol Freighter's cockpit at Wigram, and thought how it must've been for the big bombers as well, with the engines roaring in your ears ...

1. Vic

Then just a few years ago I got to sit inside a Bristol Freighter's cockpit

<plug mode="shameless">

I've been sitting in quite a few cockpits lately. If you think a vulcan is cramped, you should try a Harrier :-)

I've joined the Boscombe Down Aviation Collection. It's one of the few museums that actively encourages you to try out the exhibits.

If you're anywhere near Salisbury, and interested in aviation, it's a load of fun. But I'm not entirely objective here - I like planes :-)

</plug>

Vic.

1. Chris 69

You can sit in cockpits at Bournemouth too.

Well worth a visit just to scare yourself by how small a lightning cockpit is!

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@Lapun Mankimasta

"G For GEORGE" was from 460 Squadron RAAF (which was an International squadron in WW2), my Dad was an RAF member of this squadron as a tail gunner on Lancasters.

After the war the Squadron leader commented that the losses they had suffered was equivalent to the entire squadron being wiped out 5 times, it's said it was safer statistically being in the infantry than it was being in Bomber Command at that time, and nearly all these guys were in their early 20's.

14. TWB

Grandad built Lancs, Dad did Vulcans

My grandad worked at Avro Woodford during the war buildling Lancasters - I have a great picture of about 40 men all standing in front of one Lanc in various forms of attire - one looks like a gardener, another a grease monkey, some are in smart office clothes, one looks like a secret service agent....There was this story in our family that my Grandad was involved in the bouncing bomb stuff, but he is no longer alive to ask and I don't know how to find out more (now that I am more interested...)

My Dad then worked on the Vulcan - doing his engineering apprenticeship with Avro - we love the sounds of both aircraft even though I have such mixed feelings about bombers being a bit of a ~peace loving hippy~....When I see+hear the WWII memorial flight fly past, it brings a lump to my throat and yet I would not describe myself as particularly patriotic or proud of being British.

Anyone any ideas how I find out more about my Lanc photo?

1. Dan delaMare-Lyon

Re: Grandad built Lancs, Dad did Vulcans

I'd start with these good folks:

http://www.avroheritage.com/Avro%20Heritage%20Goup%20News.html

D.

2. Peter Simpson 1

Re: Grandad built Lancs, Dad did Vulcans

Have the same problem with Mum. She did crypto work at Nebraska Ave (either German or Japanese codebreaking or support of same). We have a lovely photo of her and her coworkers, posed in front of the chapel on the gorunds, in their dress uniforms, with (of course) nothing written on the back. I went poking around, found a museum in Florida that has a bunch of the Naval Security Group records, and sent them the photo. Their reply?

"We have one just like it. Can you identify anyone for us?"

All the OP-20-G stuff came out after she died, and now that I know more, I have a whole bunch of questions I would love to ask her. Greatest Generation, without a doubt.

15. JimC

The warbird scene is amazing now. I was reflecting last week that 50 years ago I would ask my mother to take a long cut past Tangmere to pass the gate guardian Spitfire, just to see one, but last week there were one or two Spitfires over her house every day...

16. Paul Barker 1

About 20 years ago I was with a party of schoolchildren and others spending a day restoring the daub (clay) panels of a thatched Lincolnshire 'mud-and-stud' building located on the other side of the road at the end of RAF Coningsby's runway when the BBMF came in to land over the building preceded by the dull throb of the six merlins (1xSpitfire, 1xHurricane and 1x Lancaster) before the noise rose to a crescendo as they burst into view, a few feet above our heads…

The kids had enjoyed mixing up the mud for the repairs but their day (and mine) was made truly unforgettable as the Memorial Flight roared overhead and the Lancaster's pilot waved at us from the cockpit !

17. Alfred 2
    Happy

Art

Is it me or does anyone else think of these aircraft as works of art as well as impressive feats of engineering?

I think the Lancaster, the Mosquito and the Spitfire were beautful pieces of machinery.

18. Peter Simpson 1
    Black Helicopters

As long as we're talking about planes overhead

Spent the last two weeks on Martha's Vineyard. There are two biplanes with big old radial engines that run sightseeing trips over the beaches daily. You don't even need to look up when you hear them to know what they are.

Also overhead twice last week: a C-17, three V-22 Ospreys and two helicopters with fancy paint jobs, as the Obamas came in for their summer holidays. Those Ospreys sound strange, and you can hear them coming a mile away. They don't look like they should be able to fly. One of them came over with its engine pods in transition between forward and hover modes.

19. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Blenheim to fly again... soon

The sounds of the Lancaster Merlin engines in brilliant, we hear a lot of them over Cambridgeshire. I've had the pleasure of flying a Spitfire, and I must say it's an awesome place to hear a Merlin engine from.

For air buffs, the Blenheim will be flying again soon (Bristol engines).

20. Peter Ford

WTF is that!!!!?

I've seen both of these Lancasters in their natural habitats: the BBMF one flies over us at least once a year usually with his two pals, although I was buzzed by the Lancaster whilst kayaking up the river Medway when it flew over the War and Peace show one year - the title is an approximation of what was said as it came over from behind at treetop height... nearly fell out of my boat!

The Canadian one I saw whilst walking around a lake near Banff: in that case it was "I'm sure that's a Lancaster bomber - WTF is it doing here?". It was a little higher flying between the hills, so the noise wasn't quite as dramatic, but still very distinctive.

21. Ethangar

The memories

About 25 years ago I was at the Hamilton Airshow to see all the wonderful old warbirds. Bought a ticket ( proceeds to the museum etc ) for a ride in one of the warbirds. AND WON! Got to go for a 30 min flight in the Lanc. Its deafening, cold, cramped... And it took weeks for me to stop grinning like an idiot :)

22. ari

mmmmm warbirds

It would be utterly amazing to see two Lancs fly in formation...might make me cry a little.

I've seen a few warbirds fly, but last sunday I finally got to see a Spitfire fly, do a little fake dogfight, flybys, and other light stunts.

It was so BEAUTIFUL! I felt like I was ten years old again just gazing into the rainy sky and grinning.

My faves have to be the Mossie, Spifire, Lanc, Beufighter....and so on

Anyways, Vulture central should definitely post stories such as this one!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: mmmmm warbirds

Three would be better, if only they could get the 3 million needed to get the other one licensed, for now it just gives taxi rides.

23. Blearghhh

A late comment, but...

The Canadian Lancaster overflies my house on a semi-regular basis, given that it lives just a few cities over from me. The engines are very distinctive - you can't miss it when it happens.

If you're really interested, have money to spare, and don't mind going to Hamilton, Ontario, you can take a flight on the aircraft yourself: http://www.warplane.com/visit-cwhm/vintage-aircraft-flights.aspx

24. Vladimir Plouzhnikov

Duxford Airshow

This weekend and the Lancs are scheduled to both fly on Sunday.

Sadly, I won't probably be able to go there this time...

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon