back to article Robot cars to hit Blighty in 2015

Robotic cars are set to prowl the streets of Britain by next January without human supervision – as Westminster prepares new rules to allow autonomous vehicles on the public highways of this sceptr'd isle. Today, driverless cars are only allowed to travel on private roads. New laws will allow them out to motor across the …

Page:

1. Rob 44

Re: Here's a thought.

That's true. But any good criminal will realise this countries terrible record for security and will have already backdoored the system or paid someone off for a Ahem mistake to happen at just then right time.

1. Rob 44

I can feel a movie plot coming.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Right up to the point where the central control system re-directs all the cars ahead to form a road-block"

Benny Hill sneaking into the computer room with a tape reel perhaps. Or, Michael Caine in a marvel style post credits scene 'I've got a great idea lads.....lets use a self driving bus next time'.

1. SEDT

Strewth. It'll know your a bank robber when it sees your bag of swag and stripy pullover, and then simply lock you out. Give the tech some credit will you

1. shinanygnz
    Terminator

Will your car kill you to save another?

Have a read of this, quite thought provoking.

http://www.popsci.com/blog-network/zero-moment/mathematics-murder-should-robot-sacrifice-your-life-save-two

Now do you still fancy the idea?

1. Sir Runcible Spoon

Re: Will your car kill you to save another?

That makes really interesting reading, thanks.

However, humans can actually make those kind of decisions too. I was once in a car accident (stupid overtake in the rain) and started fishtailing. Ahead of me a car came round the bend and rather than involve someone else in my folly I decided to drive the car off the road into a ditch.

In retrospect this probably saved my life as well as theirs, but it wasn't part of my thought processes at the time since I pretty much thought I was dead anyway and just didn't want to take anyone with me.

However, to program such behavior (or similar) in autonomous vehicles is going to be fraught with perils.

1. SEDT

You are, of course, blessed with great reflexes, and saintliness. Oh and a lack of understanding of technology.

The oncoming car will be aware of your situation long before seeing your watery ballet, and have taken appropriate action

2. auburnman

I struggle to see a realistic scenario where the auto-car has to 'choose' someone's life to endanger. Any time it is travelling at lethal speeds it should have safe stopping distance in the road in front of it (if programmed correctly) and any obstacle suddenly appearing within that space, such as another out of control car weaving into that lane, takes the 'choice' element out of the equation. The robo-driver can have absolutely perfect reflexes, but momentum will decide whether there is a collision or not.

3. LucreLout

"http://www.popsci.com/blog-network/zero-moment/mathematics-murder-should-robot-sacrifice-your-life-save-two

Now do you still fancy the idea?"

Possibly, yes.

Take the scenario given where you can go over a cliff and definately die, or crash into a car containing more people and possibly die or kill them.

However much I might like to think I'd go over the cliff were I on my own, if my children are in the car, I'm not going over the cliff even if I have to knock a bus full of other peoples children over it instead. No parent is going to choose to kill their child.

So effectively you already have pretty close to the exact reversal of the situation described in that people will do whatever gives them the best chance to survive, even if that means killing you & yours. It's just human nature.

4. CCCP

It's funny how we get obsessed, "I Robot" style, with edge cases of car scenarios where morality enters the picture.

In reality, meanwhile, meatsacks kill each other on the roads at a very steady rate through stupidity/tiredness/distraction, none of which driverless cars suffer from.

Planes land themselves all the time, at least some times, and we seem to be fine with that. I think the difference is pretty much everyone drives, and couldn't possibly imagine a robot doing it better. Pilots, OTOH, are a bit smarter than that.

2. Fuzz

can't wait

So many benefits to a driverless car. Driverless cars waiting at traffic lights can communicate with each other and the lights so that they all set off as soon as the light turns green rather than having to wait for the car in front to get away. Cars on motorways can drive closer together all communicating with one another. Cars can drive with maximum fuel efficiency all the time. Cars can drive places overnight when the roads are less busy whilst their passengers sleep. Cars can drop you off then go and find a parking space which they looked up online. The car park can pack cars in because entry and exit times can be booked so cars can be placed into spaces according to when they need to leave or move themselves around in the car park as required, nobody needs to open doors so cars can be parked very close together. All this and the car can take you home from the pub. The potential of driverless cars is huge.

1. Zack Mollusc

Re: can't wait

A huge beneficial side-effect of all this car-to-car communication is that the problem of different software and hardware and firmware versions from different vendors, all talking to each other swiftly and faultlessly will be solved.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

BSOD

If they've got blue windscreens I'm staying indoors.

4. synonymous cowherd
    Pint

Can't wait

Kit take me to the f@ing pub now, first I'm going to get arse holed then puke on the mats, and finally piss in the glove box; all the while you drive me there, and back. We may also need a detour for some top quality finest body doner with extra special sauce. Faan bloody taastic !!

1. LucreLout

Re: Can't wait

"Kit take me to the f@ing pub now, first I'm going to get arse holed then puke on the mats, and finally piss in the glove box; all the while you drive me there, and back. We may also need a detour for some top quality finest body doner with extra special sauce. Faan bloody taastic !!"

Kitt: Screw you Michael. I'm not getting covered in puke while you bang some kebab shop supermodel on my bonnet.

MK: Kitt, Kitt. Where the feckin' hell are you going!

Kitt: I could have been Kate Moss' run around.

5. Chris G

No change there then!

For many years when driving in the UK and other parts of the world, I have noticed cars negotiating roads and traffic apparently without the presence of an actual driver so I thought it had always been permitted.

I wonder will there be a requirement for the car to have an occupant with a licence or will the car have to pass a test?

6. Yemil

I'm looking forward to the riderless bicycle.When that is introduced I won't have to bother with those infuriating bicycle clips and riding through puddles that send mud and water splashing up one's backside. I won't have to bother with being run off the road by lorry drivers that seem to do it for sport either as I can let the bike go off wherever it pleases and just concentrate on walking the dog.Maybe one day there will even be robotic dog leashes and I will be able to just stay in bed while it takes the dog for a walk.The future looks more exiting by the minute.

7. snakey

I hope the on-board software will be a tad more reliable than Win8, else picture all the gravestones engraved with variations on 'Passed away whilst trying to reboot...

8. Securitymoose

Driverless vehicles for towns? Aren't they called buses?

Save all the costs - a DC is not going to be cheap - by banning cars completely from the cities and boost public transport so that people really don't need them.

That will never happen of course - the government would lose the revenue streams from road tax, speed cameras, congestion charges, fuel tax as well as all the other pointless fines levied on the easy targets of car drivers. Safety? Bullshit - only 0.5% of all deaths in the UK in 2009 were caused by road traffic accidents (http://www.racfoundation.org/assets/rac_foundation/content/downloadables/road%20accident%20casualty%20comparisons%20-%20box%20-%20110511.pdf). No, it's definitely the revenue they are protecting, not the driver.

Supposing they did follow my suggestion, hell, they might have to start concentrating on the real issues of cancer, heart disease, drugs and crime instead, but those are too much like hard work.

9. NomNomNom

Am I the only one who does not believe this hype about driverless cars?

This happened a few weeks ago. I was driving along a 60mph road. Ahead of me was a lorry parked in the opposite lane. Of course I see this ahead and start slowing down. Presumably an AI could do that too, I'll give it that much.

I notice a workman is standing in front of the lorry holding a pole that says "STOP". So of course I stop, and knowing the implications of this I leave enough space for traffic coming the other direction to pass. My human brain has learned this pattern of "workmen managing traffic" and I know on the other-side of the lorry is a workman holding a "GO" pole.

What would a driverless car do though? Would it stop and leave enough room for other cars to pass? Or would it ignore the pole and continue going through at 40mph only to break sharply when a car from the other direction pulled into it's lane? Then what? The driverless car presumably isn't going to reverse. So it's blocking the traffic. So the meat in the driver seat has just shit themselves and is fumbling to regain control.

I've said it before. If modern AI were really capable of driving a car then WHERE IS THE FRICKIN AI in simpler settings?

The dearth of decent AI in video games speaks volumes about the true capability of AI today.

10. ContractorBikerScum

Did they try that test where...

a motorcycle filters in between two of the buggers at 60mph when they are doing 30?

I will.

I'll also try the 'kicking-the-wing-mirror-off' critical appraisal technique I use sometimes too.

Wonder what it will do.

1. SEDT

Re: Did they try that test where...

Hopefully, crush you to a pancake

1. ContractorBikerScum

Re: Did they try that test where...

I reckon the collision avoidance software will either make them stop dead in the lane or vear off and stop dead (presumably before hitting the bus stop full of kids playing on their tablets)

Either way it is possible that some biology will rear end them as they have panicked and reacted in a way that your average London driver will not anticipate.

I've got sticky out bits on my bikes so there'd be no crushing, just a lot of mangled Google metal.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

...Robotic cars are set to prowl THE STREETS of Britain...

The Gods must smiling on me!!!! There's no chance then of them invading South Shropshire! How's it going to stay in its lane when there IS only one? ... and that combine headed towards you is not going to back up! How will it identify and locate a 'hedge nudge' to snuck into while the darnn thing goes past? ... if it gets out of that unscathed ... just watch out for the caravan of novice horse riders mincing down the lane around the next corner! Hey! Who are they going to wave at and thank as you drive carefully by... taking due regard for the VERY soft shoulder and the puddle YOU know doesn't hide a pothole and is very shallow.... have these things got side scan radar fitted? Perhaps there will be a market for guided tours of the urban areas by us country bumpkins to see these wonders of modern technology that can't tell a quagmire from a horse doo! Good luck guys..

12. soniam1254

Disabled Access and Robotic Cars

Hello

This is great news esp for elderly people of members of the disabled community :)

I hope that the project will also consider designing wheel chair accessible robotic cars in the future?

Sonia

13. gildedtumbril

The name Austen now belongs to a Chinese car maker. It could soon reappear on Britain's roads.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like