back to article Sit back down, Julian Assange™, you're not going anywhere just yet

Head WikiLeaker Julian Assange™'s latest bid to move off Ecuador's couch and back into normal digs has failed: a Swedish court has upheld the arrest warrant against him on allegations of sexual assault. Assange's lawyers filed a petition to withdraw the warrant on Tuesday, in hopes that the WikiLeaks founder could avoid …

Page:

1. ElReg!comments!Pierre
          Devil

Re: Operation Winkle

Just to be the devil's advocate, such comments here present are most probably more illegal in the UK than anything Assange may or may not have done in Sweden. Under current antiterror laws the very act of posting such calls to/threats of arson (on El Reg or elsewhere) carries a bigger penalty than what Assange may risk if he's charged in Sweden. So... ready to pack, chaps?

Just to, you know, put things in perspective.

1. auburnman
    Flame

Also, £6M? Bollocks.

A dozen bobbies should be more than enough for a round the clock stakeout. Round it up to 20 just because. Make the generous assumption that the poor low ranks, probationers and others who have pulled this beat get the national average salary of £25Kp/a. In fact let's call it £30K because London. That gives us 30x20= £600K/year, so it should have cost much closer to £1.2M for the two years Assange has been holed up. Even if I've massively underestimated the London salary, you could pay your bobbies £45K/annum and still come in under £1M/year.

If the Met genuinely think they've spunked £6M on this, someone needs to go over their accounting policies asking serious questions.

1. Psyx

Re: Also, £6M? Bollocks.

"If the Met genuinely think they've spunked £6M on this, someone needs to go over their accounting policies asking serious questions."

Oh yeah, the figure is inflated as all hell. No doubt on that.

2. JaitcH
    FAIL

That £6,000,000 would have been better ...

on helping the needy, or Seniors.

The Tory government has no sense of priorities.

3. mmeier

The funniest element in the Martyrdom of St Julian

is that until mere days before the swedish judical system became interested in his sexual behaviour he was trying very hard to get permanent resident status in Sweden.

Can one of his followers explain to me WHY the wise, all-knowing St. Julian would try that in a country that is obviously evil and just waiting to deliver him to the hands of the great satan (aka USA)?

1. Tom 13

Re: The funniest element in the Martyrdom of St Julian

Now, now! Don't go using logic or anything. This St. Julian we're talking about here. Last time I checked he ranked higher than Snowden among the Progressive Saints. Why he's almost up there with Alger Hiss and the Rosenbergs.

4. 33rpm

Lick my

Sweden and the UK, still licking the US's boots. If this was a whistle blower under the Bush and not Obama administration he would be a hero.

1. Psyx

Re: Lick my

THANKS OBAMA!

5. Eugene Goodrich

Couldn't the UK and Swedish police solve all this?

Couldn't the UK and Swedish police make some sort of binding assurance to Assange that he won't be handed off to the USA? Then he can offer himself up for justice for his sex crimes (and bail jumping*) as discussed without worry of being punished by another country for the leaks.

If Sweden still wants to prosecute him for those sex crimes, that is. Isn't it a big question whether they actually care or it's just an excuse to render him to the USA?

(* Not sure if it will be a good bail jumping defense in the UK that if he hadn't done it, he'd get a life sentence or death in the USA.)

1. Adam Inistrator

Re: Couldn't the UK and Swedish police solve all this?

"Then he can offer himself up for justice for his sex crimes"

seems you are a uk/us gov shill since you willfully ignore the fact he has not committed any sex crimes. Ever heard of INNOCENT UNTIL PROVED GUILT you primitive?

1. mmeier

That rule applies to the court (maybe, not all systems use it) not to an individual!

2. mmeier

Why should they make a special deal with a fugitive criminal? He gets treated by the book that is ALL he can expect. NO specials!

6. Anonymous Coward
    Holmes

I wonder how long this is going to go on.

6 million Sterling is a pretty expensive stakeout, but I agree with previous commetards who point out that price isn't really an object, unless you want to start granting get-out-of-jail free cards to those who are wealth or diplomatically/politically connected. Assange is wanted for two counts of sexual assault, and he did skip bail to hide in the Ecuadorian embassy.

At least out of all this we did find that the GCHQ can spoof local cellphone base stations. There was that story that they deployed a base station near the Ecuadorian embassy, but they forgot to reset the base station after it's last mission in Uganda. The next thing you know, central London was getting cellular service courtesy of Uganda Telephone, or some such name. Benefits of empire, I guess :)

Well, I hope Assange's couch get bedbugs! I'm betting that he will still be under house arrest two years from now.

P.S.--Also I thought it was pretty lame that the defense attorney argued that Assange cannot be physically apprehended, so the charges against him should be dropped.

(I'm sure Sherlock would have this wrapped up in time for tea!)

7. Raven2043

He;s a weasle....period. If the US really wanted him as bad as he thinks,he would be in the US now...I'll put this bluntly "If the US wanted to harm him he'd be DEAD"...No matter where he chose to run and hide.

8. Adam Inistrator

fcuk the law

since uk has adopted european laws we need to adopt european attitudes to the law which is fcuk it instead of respect it.

9. opaque

I feel sorry for the Ecudarorian Embassy staff having to put up with all this rubbish more than anyone else. I'm really surprised they've not drugged him and then dragged him onto the pavement in the night.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like