back to article Spanish village called 'Kill the Jews' mulls rebranding exercise

Residents in the Spanish village of Castrillo* Matajudíos (Castrillo Kill the Jews) will vote on Saturday on whether it's time to change the name of their small hamlet in the province of Burgos to something a little less offensive. Castrillo Matajudios as seen on Street View A sign of the old times: Castrillo Matajudíos as …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: anti semitism question

"Those aren't fairly tales"

Those rules are largely claimed as being passed directly from 'god' to man. That's a fairy tale to those of more limited gullibility....

1. BlueGreen

Re: anti semitism question @All

Thanks to everyone for the comprehensive and thoughtful answers.

1. Heathroi
    Big Brother

While religion is not entirely necessary to begin chopping people into little bloody bits, (although it has been know to assist ) a State of some sort definitely is essential.

2. All names Taken
    Happy

In one of the shops in our high street is a cushion. It's in the window, on display.

It has words on the cushion and they go a bit like this:

Women are not meant to be understood, they are meant to be spoilt.

3. phil dude
    Boffin

the answer is in the question @Bluegreen

Labels are the problem. When you can be "cast" because of your parents perceived beliefs or organisational affiliation, it makes it very difficult to be treated as a normal human.

I thinking of Mel Brooks "History of the world part I" right now.

P.

4. Gene Cash Silver badge
    IT Angle

And to bring it back around to IT, my wi-fi has been named "Kill All Atheists" for years. Nobody's ever said anything.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

There are no atheists in the IT foxholes.

5. Paul Hovnanian Silver badge

They can have Fucking, Austria when they pry it out of my cold, dead hands.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@Paul Hovnanian

That's more or less what Kurt Schuschnigg said in 1938. Amazingly, he survived WW2, but it was a very close thing.

7. JustNiz

>>> Castrillo* Matajudíos (Castrillo Kill the Jews) will vote on Saturday on whether it's time to change the name of their small hamlet in the province of Burgos to something a little less offensive.

Yeah they should definately drop the Castrillo part. It might offend anyone called Castrillo.

8. All names Taken
    Paris Hilton

Going to the darkside?

If so, do it properly?

(Only 160 kg)

http://www.yamaha-motor.eu/uk/products/motorcycles/mt/mt-07.aspx

(Note: dear moderators there are no pecuniary interests in this post - I am merely a potential customer of an MT-07 for which I will probably have to pay full costs anyway )

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Going to the darkside?

"develop linear torque" (from the website)

Yamaha have developed a motorcycle which completely rearranges spacetime around itself. That's the dark side all right.

9. Don Jefe

In Between

It's good that the town is named this way, and it's good that somebody got around to deciding it might be offensive. But they're so late with the change it's kind of offensive to change it now. I'm getting hints of misguided tourism efforts. It's surely not the case than people just woke up and decided to change the name of the village they've always lived in.

If nothing else, the fact such a place exists is kind of a good reminder that things have gotten out of hand in the past and can do so again. I'm not one to advocate for showing grammar school kids Holocaust photos, but little cultural oddities like this are what tie the events of tomorrow to the events of the past. It's important. Besides, things like this help prevent the revisionist histories so popular on the West.

10. Fink-Nottle

Welcome to Castrillo Matalosamericanos

(twinned with Tehran)

11. Big Al
    Mushroom

Matamoros

While this is all very wonderful, politically correct and generally fluffy, don't expect any changes to take account of Muslim sensibilities.

Saint James Matamoros, 'the Moor-slayer', is patron saint of Spain, and is also commemorated in, for example, the name of the city of Matamoros, Mexico (next door to Brownsville, Texas).

1. Matt Bryant Silver badge
      FAIL

Re: Big Al Re: Matamoros

"While this is all very wonderful, politically correct and generally fluffy, don't expect any changes to take account of Muslim sensibilities....." Big difference - the Jews didn't invade the Iberian Peninsula and attempt to forcibly convert all the Christians in the area to Judaism. The Diaspora also didn't force the European kingdoms to almost bankrupt themselves fighting to expel them as they had to do with the Moors in the Reconquista.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

i think you missed the point

the artical was promoting health!

The un healthy action of eating chocloate eggs and lazing around in large groups hearing some body talk about peace and love, verses a ritual of getting licoured up and going out and beating up on a minority group of your choice, which is exercise and stress relive, much healther tho you may not belive that in the morning.

Counting the lumps and bruses, multiplying that by the degree of hangover you will be able to work out how much of a good time you had ang checking face book will probly help bring back some of that lost memory.

As for the name change may be change it to "kill all insert minority group of your choice" and we can keep relogion out of it.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

IT angle?

Where is it? Aha! I found it! How to get a bunch of opionated people to leave comments on an online forum. Something about Jews will do.

14. chris lively

Question about the actual story: why doesn't the mayor have the balls to just change the name himself? Seems like something he ought to be empowered to do.

Or at least just have a list of 5 different names and ask people to vote on which one they like ( with the current name not being a choice)?

15. Robert Baker
    Big Brother

What about all the other potentially offensive place names out there?

Wetwang, Les Arses, Nether Wallop, Pratts Bottom (those three could be twinned)... the list goes ever on and on.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Childcatcher

Enough, please

Just face it; People are just no good, most can't stand to admit/use their constrained free will and will slope sholder it on to any convenient belief system (not just religions listen to Unix users) and so those who should know better, but are vile, use the system for their own gain - and being psycos if that involves hurting others then so much the better. All you have to do is convince people the "other" is not really human and the slaughter can commence.

As for names, yes perhaps that hamlet should change its name, its almost as bad as Staines Wetwang etc - but that's their choice - if they want to take it. Ridicule might help,

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like