back to article Homeopathic remedies contaminated with REAL medicine get recalled

A batch of homeopathic remedies have been recalled in the US after it was discovered that they contained real medicine. Terra-Medica is voluntarily recalling 56 lots of homeopathic drug products in liquid, tablet, capsule, ointment, and suppository forms after it was discovered the alternative treatments potentially contained …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Government by Homeopaths.

That would assume they wish for facts to be told and health to be had. Though I would hope they were honestly mistaken, as doing it out of spite is unthinkable.

2. Turtle

@ Bahboh: Re: Government by Homeopaths.

"Both the Health Minister [,,,] and the clueless Shadow Health Minister [...] BOTH believe Homeopathy. It's time (real) doctors spoke out and had them both sacked."

I used to have a fairly positive opinion of Prince Charles until I learned that he is a big proponent of homeopathy and other alternative quackery. Good luck getting him sacked...

1. LaeMing
    Childcatcher

Stop knocking homeopathy!

It is a known contributor to the forward-going health of the human gene pool.

I know it is all very PC, in this age of 'everyone gets a trophy so no-one feels left out', but stupid people dying by their own hand in ways that don't take undeserving others with them is, ultimately, good for the species as a whole.

2. pacman7de
    Facepalm

Homeopathy: no Ingredients, no Testing, no Facts ..

So-called homeopathic remedies may be the only products given a free pass to say they’re intended to treat disease, without any proof at all that they work”. randi.org

3. GBE

Did you hear about....

Did you hear about the homeopath's patient who forgot to take his medication?

He died of an overdose.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

There are different definitions of homepathy

There are some substances that do in fact seem to provide useful value while there is also a lot of "snake oil" sold for great profit. The reason why legitimate homepathy is not further researched is because Big Pharma can't patent any common health aid thus they can't reap fortunes. It's always about the money...not about healing.

1. Boris the Cockroach Silver badge
      FAIL

Re: There are different definitions of homepathy

The reason big pharma cant patent homepathic remedies is because its very hard to patent water, but in any case, if it worked as claimed, then all they'd do is add a spot of food colouring to it and patent that and flog it for $100/dose

But in any case , whats the remedy for the following

1. 90%+ blockage of the main stem of the left cardiac artery (anything that takes longer than 4 weeks kills the patient)

2. deep seated staph infection in graft doner leg. must be able to bring staph numbers down enough in 3 days so that patient can leave ITU

And as a final question

3. Multiple fractures in patients right femur and tibia, single facture in left tibia and severe damage to left knee.

When homopathy can cure that lot I'll use it instead of calling 999.

Boris

<<has more scars than he would like

1. Squander Two

Re: There are different definitions of homepathy

Look, homeopathy is bollocks, but so is that argument. Endocrinology can't cure any of those ailments, either. Doesn't mean it doesn't work.

You really don't need to put all this extra effort into coming up with convoluted criticisms of homeopathy when "It's just water" works so well.

2. Stevie

Re: When homopathy can cure that lot I'll use it instead of calling 999.

Or you could just stop wrestling combine harvesters, Boris.

5. badger31

How do they clean their equipment?

1. M Gale

I guess they stick it in an autoclave, where it is blasted with superheated medicine under pressure?

6. Big-nosed Pengie

"Homeopathic remedies normally consists of highly diluted solutions of natural substances water"

I fixed that for you.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

People don't actually drown in water

They die from a massive homeopathy overdose!

(Sick joke, just like homeopathy)

8. Allan George Dyer
    Flame

I like the way...

they always talk about "natural substances", but penicillin is perfectly natural, not that I'm suggesting eating mouldy bread is a guarantee for good health. Other natural things include lions, malaria and molten lava. I am not responsible for any injury that may occur when attempting to dilute a volcano.

9. Tom 7

Dont flush your homeopathic medicines

otherwise the sea will cure everything and the nutters will have to find real jobs.

10. Scroticus Canis
    Happy

No allergic reactions reported...

So even homoeopathic penicillin is ineffective?

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

How do you become a homeopath?

How do you become a homeopath? Swimming in the same pool that other homeopaths use?

12. Robert Carnegie Silver badge

Of course

Of course they've put real medicine in their homeopathic slosh. It means that their stuff works. So you will get homeopathic headache cure with a proper does of acetaminophen in it, I bet. So everybody's happy, but it costs more than when it's called Tylenol. Still, if the customer's satisfied.

1. M Gale

Re: Of course

acetaminophen

Paracetamol!

Grumblegrumble bloody Americans grumble.

1. Robert Carnegie Silver badge

N-acetyl-p-aminophenol

if you're fussy.

When I buy it, it is "paracetamol", and usually the acceptable supermarket brand. But a large proportion of Register readers only speak American, and the rest of us are surely smart enough to look it up, so I translated.

As for them putting this or other real drugs into "homeopathic" pills, that's only a theory - until now, apparently.

In any case, do not take more than one of these drugs together - they are the same stuff and it doesn't take a lot to make a deadly overdose, as your liver dies and rots inside you. I've also heard an argument that taking this stuff and caffeine could be a risk - including with tea or coffee - but that was based on a test tube trial. I suppose they can't very well do an experiment with people.

13. southpacificpom
    Coat

Fucking hippies...

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Homeopathic A&E - always makes me laugh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMGIbOGu8q0

15. Clive Galway

What I really do not get...

If homeopathists really believed it, there would be no point in selling it.

If it gets more powerful the more you dilute it, then surely by definition any sample of it you are selling is more powerful than your "stock", thus making the bottle that it came in more valuable than the contents of it that they sold you.

Furthermore, it would be impossible to use anything for the container, as it would be "contaminated".

Washing it would only make it worse.

IMHO the way to get rid of these snake oil salesmen would be to sue them.

Surely if you sued them for contamination of products (ie contaminated with a different homeopathic cure than the one you bought), then it would be impossible for them to disprove the case without arguing that homeothapy is bunk?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: What I really do not get...

The secret to big business and fraudulent business (are they different? Oh well, this is not a dig at them, but an observation) is to never make a legal claim unless you can legally back it.

Thus medicine works, because it makes legal claims that actually do happen.

Some alternatives never make a claim, so you can never make a legal challenge.

Some big companies have T&C to defend themselves.

So it's finding those who neither pretend to have a product, or pretend to be above the law.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I've always rather liked the idea of suggesting to homeopaths that as a solution to the energy crisis, they try homeopathic gasoline...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@David W - You used the term "gasoline" so are clearly not from around here 8)

I note that the US int al has a lower standard RON than the UK according to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating although I seem to remember that we actually have 95 as standard and 98 is the fancier and more expensive stuff.

Perhaps (and I am making a pretty massive leap of supposition as to your country of origin) you are already in the grip of homeopathic gas peddlers - do you find that your car suddenly starts to work when it's refuelled ?

Amazing.

Cheers

Jon

1. Joseph Eoff

In the US, the octane rating on the pump is determined by testing for the Research Octane Number (RON) as used in Europe and testing for the Motor Octane Number. These two number are then averaged ((R+N)/2)) to give the octane rating at the pump. Since Motor Ocaten is usually 8 to 10 points lower than RON, you end up with a lower number for the same qualtiy gasoline.

Look at any gasoline pump in the US. It will say Octane ((R+N)/2), whereas the pumps in Europe are all marked RON.

You get the same quality of gasoline, its just a different number.

1. Squander Two

> You get the same quality of gasoline, its just a different number.

No, it's different stuff (though I don't know the details of what the difference is). American and European engines are set up differently to cope with the different fuel types. Ship your European car to the US (or vice versa) and you need to have it converted.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Bull fucking shit. You have to figure out the correct octane rating, and you probably want to check the ethanol content. The ethanol content could be a problem if where you are in the US only offer E10, since there are quite a few european cars (and no few US ones) that don't like that much ethanol. Same problem as in Europe, though. The octane thing comes down to the different way of figuring it, and that's all.

2. Stevie

Bah!

Squander Two, you are full of Ethanol. European cars work just fine on US gasoline (unless they are so old they need unleaded which can be hard to find, but even then).

Do you think Top Gear brings a ship full of good old English Petrol when they come over to do yet another daft European supercar drive in some redneck place?

And what do you think that nice Geordie bloke from AC/DC runs his Bentley on?

Sweet Azathoth's Nebulous Nodes.

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

If you think that placebos for humans are bad enough

I know someone around here who has found enough gullible customers that he can actually make a living selling "homeopathic remedies" for animals !!

1. teebie

Re: If you think that placebos for humans are bad enough

The placebo effect does work on animals, so these remedies are equally effective across species.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"The placebo effect does work on animals"

I can't imagine it would work on cats. I'm pretty certain that mine never believes anything I tell him.

1. jake Silver badge

Other than the obvious "humans are animals" ...

The placebo effect does work on pet animals. But not for the reason that you might think. It works because the animal's owner see that their cute & furry are being given what the owner thinks are "meds", thus calming down the owner. The critter feels the calm from the owner, and so in turn calms down. Probably the most common example of this placebo effect is "rescue remedy".

Somewhat similar is physicians prescribing antibiotics for viral infections in children ... the parent/guardian assumes that "injections/pills will work", calms down, and the kids in turn relax & their body naturally fights off the virus without wasting energy on fear.

18. Wzrd1 Silver badge

Homeopathic bullshit relies upon the inane belief that a trace memory is present in fucking water.

Water remembers when you pissed in it a century ago, if you're that fucking old.

It remembers a trace of antibiotic that was diluted enough to not be noticed by a single bacteria.

This recall is because it wasn't so diluted it couldn't be detected. I read the original recall alert, as I'm on more mailing lists than Cater has Little Liver pills.

It was nearly at therapeutic levels, but sterility and quality was not assured.

So much for some homeopathetic bullshit. Selling Christ knows what level of antibiotic, with shit knows sterility level, as a medicine.

But, the US has The Best Healthcare System In The World.

For either the Queen or other billionaire. Sparse helpings for the ignorant masses.

Hence, patent medicine.

And yes, I'm a US citizen. But, learned from experience what *real* healthcare is from Europe and even from Arabs.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Tell me about "real healthcare." In Germany, your fucking DOCTOR is likely to prescribe homeopathic crap, and a good many of the health insurance comapnies will cover it. That's what european "real healthcare" gets you.

19. Joseph Eoff

Homeopathy and water

In Germany, most homeopathic remedies are pills that have been sprayed with the homeopathic solution. Since the water evaporates, there's nothing left to "remember" the remedy.

Homeopathic remedies in Germany are all required to be marked „Registriertes homöopathisches Arzneimittel, daher ohne Angabe einer therapeutischen Indikation“ which translates roughly as "Registered homeopathic medicine, therefore no indication of intended thereapy" basically "homepathic crap, we aren't allowed to tell you what it might be good for because it really isn't"

There's still an absolute metric fuckton of idiots (including doctors) here who believe in the crap, though.

20. squigbobble

I think I'll start selling...

...homeopathic distilled water. I could make my fortune!

21. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Homeopathy credulity test

My pharmacy sells homeopathy. When I asked the pharmacist whether she actually believed in that stuff, she replied that if I thought that emptying a beer in a pool and jumping in it mouth open I would end up drunk at the other end I was ready for homeopathy :)

1. Joseph Eoff

Re: Homeopathy credulity test

Actually ,according to the rules of homeopathy, you should be able to pour a beer in a swimming pool then drink a sip from the other end of the pool and it should cure your hangover - provided you can find a way to smack the swimming pool on the cover of a leather bound bible. According to Hahnemann, the smacking thing is an important part of the process.

22. The Grump
    Flame

If only the FDA would...

allow optional testing of these so-called "all natural" miracle cures, there would be no doubt what works and what doesn't. I mean, don't expect the floodgates to open at the FDA - very few homeopathic product manufacturers would volunteer their "products" for testing. Right now, they can hide behind the FDA's statement that the FDA doesn't test "food supplements" - that's how they classify these all natural products. That's fine with the Homeopathic Industry - they can finance their own "clinical trials", bought and paid for with the understanding that the result will be favorable, with enough legalese to skirt any legal requirements.

If the cure says "all natural" - save your money, and maybe your life. Like cocaine, God knows what they cut their pills with. I wouldn't put that in MY body.

23. Felix Krull
    Paris Hilton

I had a girlfriend who was into all this crap: astrology, healing, crystal healing, remote healing, homoeopathy, eurythmics, biodynamics, hypnosis, herbal medicine, aura therapy, the works. She ingested 'natural' medicine of all kinds by the decalitre, but whenever she got sick, she went to see a real doctor.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.