back to article Not sure if you're STILL running Windows XP? AmIRunningXP.com to the rescue!

If you're wondering who is still running Windows XP in this day and age, given that support for the OS is ending soon, the answer is it might be YOU! Or at least, so Microsoft suspects. But fear not: Redmond has stepped up its outreach program with a new website that's designed to get to the bottom of this mystery, once and …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: Typewriter and Abacus are not running XP

I thought those things worked at 300 baud?

1. Miek
            Coat

Re: Typewriter and Abacus are not running XP

Mine are set at 9800 baud, 300 baud is for the older models.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Steve Martins

CanMicrosoftExtortMoneyFromYou.com

Is it me or does this smack a little of cryptolocker?! Give us money or risk losing all your data...

just saying.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Causing confusion

Laplink PCmover Express for Windows XP "will not migrate your apps."

Windows Easy Transfer just the same then (and available on Vista & 7 too).

Guess Laplink paying MS for the link/advertising.

4. MisterHappy
    Facepalm

Good old Microsoft

Can't even get that right, sent this around the office and my colleague checked out our 'legacy' testing PC.

Windows XP SP2 using IE8... 'You are not running XP'

*sigh*

1. ElReg!comments!Pierre

Re: Good old Microsoft

> Windows XP SP2 using IE8... 'You are not running XP'

I bet you a pint that you're using one of the 64-bit versions of XP. These are based on another kernel (Windows Server 2003's kernel, AKA NT5.2) and the website doesn't recognise their useragent string as XP (I tried, to answer a question higher in this thread). Apparently only NT5.1 is recognised as XP; it was the "consumer" version.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

In the middle of an XP to 7 migration.

Massively under planned by our projects team.

I want to cry

6. Col_Panek

Whew!!! That's a relief

openSuSE 13.1 replaced my Win7. At work, Mint over XP.

Hasta la Vista, Microsoft!

7. Richard Lloyd

User Agent Switcher in Firefox easier than installing a VM :-)

I installed the User Agent Switcher extension in Firefox and set it to "Internet Explorer 6 (Windows XP)" and managed to get the "You ARE running Windows XP" on a CentOS 6 desktop running Firefox :-)

Of course, being a Microsoft site, there was no way in hell they were going to tell you that there were any other routes away from XP other than installing, er, Windows 8.1?!

1. ElReg!comments!Pierre

Re: User Agent Switcher in Firefox easier than installing a VM :-)

He who controls the proxy... don't need User Agent Switcher Firefox Extensions. Also, we spit on the Extension's general direction. Firefox extentions smell like elderberries, and we block them.

I like the proxy, and I like Perl. OK, I don't like Perl one bit, or the Proxy for that matter, but the lusers don't like me using Perl, especially on the Proxy, so I kinda have to do with it. To annoy them. It's all about power, you know.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I see Microsoft still haven't upgraded the Windows 8 Update Assistant. It brusquely informs me "platform not supported" and then quits despite (a) running fine on a similar but inferior and slightly older system from the same manufacturer, and (b) the subject system meeting all published specs for either Windows 8 or 8.1.

Sigh!

Guess I'll be staying with XP.

9. JustWondering
    Facepalm

Upgrade

Those unaware of which OS they might be running should be prompted to upgrade to the Etch-a-Sketch tablet. To reboot, just turn it upside down and shake it.

1. ElReg!comments!Pierre

Re: Upgrade

Aw c'mon, we don't get to have fun _that_ often. Don't be such a wet towel, let us prod promotionnal websites for inconsistencies -and fight over those. "Sysadminning" ain't a fun job, but someone has to do it. And you don't want to take your sysadmin's petty distraction away, you really don't. You may become it. You wouldn't like it.

10. Shane Sturrock

Not a reliable test

I am not running XP apparently - but I am although I'm using Chrome rather than IE8. If I use IE8 then it correctly figures out that I am running XP, but not with Chrome.

11. Michael Habel

Now all I need to do is find the Useragent(s) on unsuspecting Computers and change then to read XP... For Teh LULz

1. ElReg!comments!Pierre

> change then to read XP

Atta boy. Here, have my current one, it reads IE6 on XP SP2 (drop the "SV1" for an earlier version):

Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1)

12. Paul Hovnanian Silver badge

http://amirunningxp.com/

I wouldn't be surprised if that site goes through an IPO in the next few years.

13. senrik1

Ran it on a Windows 2000 server.

and it definately got it right, and wrong.....

yes, it states I am not running Windows xp......

on the other hand, support for windows 2000 ended a while ago.

14. A41202813GMAIL
    Megaphone

Not Dumping XP Anytime Soon.

XP, FOREVER !

15. Rick Giles
    Linux

Microsoft Fail

Oddly enough, both mine and and the guy in the cube next to me had our XP systems report as not XP by that wonderful website. Then we reloaded the page and it did.

Thank you for not disapointing once again Microsoft.

Bastards.

16. kitekrazy

How about another website

A website that has Are You Running Windows 8? Then it says Sorry We'll Do Better Next Time.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like