back to article Windows XP market share GROWS AGAIN, outstrips Win 8.1 surge

If you don't believe in the undead, think again: Windows XP may be just over a month from its much-publicised demise but is now Microsoft's fastest-growing operating system in terms of market share. For that zombie-like assertion we can thank Netmarketshare's new data about operating system market share. As we reported in …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Titus Aduxass
    Meh

XPs in developing nations?

> Anecdotally, a great many XP machines reside in developing nations:

And here we still have 10,000 XP desktops (and 3,000 IE6s for god's sake) and we're NOT in a developing nation.

The IT triumph that is the "PC refresh program" has just been put back. Again.

-sigh-

2. Ian Ringrose

Click on start

Click 4 from the top

Move pointer 1 inch to right

Click again.

This is how a lot of people have learned to use computers, most real life users don’t even know the difference between the OS and some bit of software that come freely installed with the PC, or was installed from a cameras setup disk (that they no longer have) 3 cameras ago.

So even giving them a new XP machine will totally confused them, as something will be in a different place or will not be the same.

However give them an apple tablet and they understand that as it is not “windows” they will have to make an effort to understand how it works. As everyone tells them how good apple is they will also be more likely to want to learn it.

1. revdjenk

So...when MS had the chance to do things differently on different hardware, when they released their first tablet in 2002, they absolutely missed it. The motion for opening menu and clicking on sub-menus, as you so succinctly shared, was brought over from the desktop...

...and we saw how great that worked!

2. Darryl

I find a lot more users are of the "Click the 3rd icon in the 2nd row of icons on my desktop" variety. The ones who complain that they don't have such-and-such program on their computer if they don't see a shortcut to it on their desktop. People like this could probably work quite well with a properly organised Win8 Start page.

3. weenoid

At home I have an 8 year old PC running Windows XP that I have absolutely no intention of replacing/upgrading any time soon. If need be I'll disconnect the thing from the internet seeing as it's mainly used for developing, listening to music and watching videos anyway. I'll just use my netbook (running Windows 7) for web browsing/downloading.

To everyone wondering why people with ancient hardware don't simply upgrade - my answer would be that I can't justify shelling out for functionality I either already have or don't need.

4. Jeff Green

It is high time that companies were required to provide access to software maintenance for as log as a product is in use, this could either be inhouse or they could simply publish the source code and allow others to do the job for them. It would be interesting to see which way Microsoft jumped.

5. Ramazan

Only yesterday night I managed to reset password for my WinXP JP edition using live-build, ntfs-3g and chntpw, and today I get the news that "Windows XP market share grows again"

6. AstroNutter
    Happy

XP isn't dead as much as MS would like to say

I honestly don't care if MS stops supporting XP. I currently have two machines that use Windows XP. One is a laptop that I use for Astronomy, my answer for that machine is to shutdown the networking stuff, and use a USB stick to copy files on and off if required (which isn't often) It doesn't need to attach to a network for anything other than patchs, so it really doesn't need networking features.

The other machine is currently being used as a Server for my home. Lots of movies on file shares, CCTV running and a personal SVN repository. The CCTV software isn't compatible with a newer windows release, so would have to go out and replace that part of the system before I can upgrade from XP. This machine is sat behind a firewall, and there are pinholes for very specific purposes. I might end up doing that if/when I decide to upgrade the hardware. Or just drop the CCTV functions and install linux. That has all the other features, that I'd need so not really a big deal.

From my perspective the thing about MS not producing patches anymore isn't really a problem, I'd need to do something silly to expose that xp machine to attack. If I completely stop using it for web browsing, that will limit the potential for attack even more.

I wouldn't mind betting that there are a huge number of Windows XP installs that are in similar situations, and just before MS are stopping the support for them doesn't mean that anything is going to suddenly stop working on them. Just means that as time goes on the likely hood of being able to update them for 3rd party software will go down also.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What are the other 10% not shown in those stats?

Server versions I suppose?

Or quite a few people on older than XP still?

8. This post has been deleted by its author

9. Tank boy
    Unhappy

Microsoft missed the boat, as per usual

MS could be printing their own money if they had come out with even a modest upgrade to XP (for a nominal fee of course) and keep it afloat for a couple more years. Call it XP2014 or V.2, whatever, just let people keep what they got and more importantly, what works.

Win 7 isn't awful, but they really went off the rails with 8. So now I have to wait around for a new sucky Win 9 (codenamed; Aw fuck it, we just want your money), and deal with this mess that is 8.1 until they can work the kinks out. I didn't know what all the fuss was about until I got my new laptop, now I do. I'm sure 8 is great on the billions of tablets that they've managed to sell, doesn't translate to a laptop, and for my old ass, I really don't want to learn how to use a new OS.

Now get off my lawn and give me something good!

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hoorah for Linux!

http://www.netmarketshare.com/report.aspx?qprid=11&qpaf=&qpcustom=Linux&qpcustomb=0

Oh dear. It looks like their home-made hobby system is even more fooked. 1.48%, down from 1.7% a couple of months back.

No doubt the Reg commentard zealots will be explaining this away as bad data.

1. ElReg!comments!Pierre

Re: Hoorah for Linux!

Linux types all use "Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1; InfoPath.1)"as their useragent just to annoy MS.

11. James Loughner
    Thumb Down

Hardware hardware hardware

It is all about the hardware. Many machines that run XP just fine won't run 7 and above. I have a nice IBM Celaron 512 meg machine, perfectly fine hardware. No way you can install 7 on less then 1 gig and expect it to work and totally forget 8 for the same and so many other reasons. So I'd have to buy new hardware just to run something I really don't want. Maybe put Puppy on it :)

I run openSUSE on my main machine with XP in a Virtual Box using 512meg. That is about the max I want to take from the host. I only have 2 gig on that machine so to go to 7 I'd have to drop at least a gig if not 2 into that machine. Since all the mem slots are taken that means totally new RAM.

It is all about the hardware

12. Daniel B.

Easy fix MS

Kill TIFKAM. You'll get a lot of XP holdouts to jump. As it is, they're going to 7 if they can, staying on XP if they can't.

Windows 8.x is a disaster. Kill it.

13. russsh

The final update

...to Windows XP will just disable all your networking. Nice incentive to upgrade. And, sure, there were viruses long before the internet, but I don't recall any botnets from that era.

14. JX
    Devil

Somewhere, in a dark corner of the world, an army of pips from the Apple Orchard..

..is sending gazillions of Apple bots with spoofed XP IE6 user agents to hit up the (s)interwebs.

"Mwahaha... we'll force MS to spend billions on 'educating' computer users..."

Cue cat, glove, stroke, evil snigger

15. Ray Foulkes

Not much to do with Windows 8 (or 8.1)

I mostly use Linux. However I have Windows 8.1 for my CAD machine. I also look after Windows XP which runs Windows games and graphics software, mostly for my Grandson. As far as I am concerned, there is nothing wrong with Windows 8.1 as long as you configure out the MS GUI and put on Start8, Firefox, Thunderbird, GIMP etc. So why am I so reluctant to either ditch the £1000 computer running XP or update it to Windows 8.1?

Because of course there is no upgrade from XP, it is erase everything and start again. I have been putting off the hassle of re-installing dozens and dozens of games and other software (e.g. Paint shop pro) for months (years?). I suspect I will need 3 or 4 weeks of solid work to get back to the same state where most software runs smoothly on Windows 8.1 and some software not at all. I think I will put it off until June, (August?).... I know I cannot escape for ever as games manufacturers abandon XP totally. Apart from the security issue I see absolutely NO advantage to me or my grandson from doing all that work - it is just a Microsoft tax. Maybe I will put it off until Windows 9 is on offer to put off having to do it all again by a year or two.

Had MS made an upgrade path, maintaining installed software, I would have done that in a flash.

1. Tank boy

Re: Not much to do with Windows 8 (or 8.1)

"Had MS made an upgrade path, maintaining installed software, I would have done that in a flash."

Dare to dream.

16. Mr. Chuck
    Mushroom

And now a message from Sirius Cybernetics

As a Linux user I'm just going to sit here and radiate smugness.

17. PixelPusher

Measurement Error, guys

At best these are very scientifically calculated estimates based a sample of machines, not by measuring every machine in the world. If we new the sample size and/or measurement methods we could get the measurement error, likely to be more than 0.5%

Anyway, if Microsoft had any real sense they would just branch off XP. It makes sense. First we had Windows-NT ("New Technology") now we can have Windows-OT ("Old Technology")!

18. Bill Fresher

XP is the number 1 selling item of Office software on amazon uk....

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Microsoft-Windows-Professional-Service-OEM/dp/B000JTDV6M

19. David McCarthy

Just a long line of (arrogant) mistakes from MS

We all took to XP because it was a dependable, reasonably reliable OS to replace 95/98/2000/NT ... and it still is.

Then they brought out Vista. Vista didn't support all the existing hardware ("Not out fault", MS). It was buggy and resource-hungry. The effect on productivity & cost meant the business world largely ignored it. Only consumers were duped. If you don't like the look of the bus, wait for the next one.

Windows 7 arrived. A much better OS than Vista, but still didn't address the XP legacy ("Not our fault", MS). With a bit of fiddling, it can be made to look enough like XP that there isn't a signifcant re-learning effort. But, oh dear, there's still the hardware issues ("There isn't a driver for your hardware? Tough - buy a new computer", MS). And suddenly, some of my applications won't run (even in any compatibility or virtual mode).

For at least 90% of business tasks, an older PC with XP is more than adequate to do the job, especially with so much stuff moving online.

Next, Windows 8 comes along ... huge interface changes ... the world is up in arms ... MS backs down (a bit). Why do they want to change the look so dramatically (with no 'legacy' skin), when they should be concentrating on functionality, security, and making it easy for folk to upgrade?

All the while (Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8), the world is in an extended economic slow down. Result? People don't want to spend on new kit, the installation costs, and re-training staff to do the same thing with a different version of Windows.

Everyone leading MS's marketing since 2007 should be forced to use Windows 2 (in 640kb). Or even MS-DOS.

Instead of leading us by the hand, helping us move from one version to the newest, removing obstacles (surely what any company would do if it cared about its customers) ... MS have at every stage ignore its customer base and tried to force us to move up and buy again.

It's sad there isn't a viable alternative - I'd love to install a non-MS OS which would run all the apps I've accumulated and rely on.

Do we use XP? Yes, and Windows 7. Are we going to rush out and upgrade? Oh, we can't - we have to buy new kit, each with a new OS, and new versions of Office (and a few other things). This is an expense we cannot afford, not at this time.

Are we worried XP is no longer going to be supported? Not really. We protect ourselves and we're careful what sites we visit and emails we open. It's not as if moving to Windows 8 would improve our security more that just a bit.

Dear Microsoft - if you'd like to talk to us about your marketing and customer care strategies, our rates are very reasonable.

20. Col_Panek

If every geek just pitched in...

...and installed Linux on a couple dozen PCs, this nightmare would be behind us.

21. Wobbly

What is a good Android tablet, so can use instead of Windows XP?

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like