back to article Windows 8.1 becomes world's fourth-most-popular desktop OS

Windows 8.1 adoption is speeding up, with the operating system now the planet's fourth-most-popular, according to Netmarketshare statistics. With January 2014 now behind us, the firm has totted up the results of its ongoing observations of just what browsers and operating systems hit the world's web servers. Those explorations …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Jess

Re: people just simply like the XP interface.

They do?

I prefer the windows 2000 interface. (My favorite interface is the RISC OS one)

Windows 8 with classic shell and everything that jumps to full screen removed, would seem to be a quite acceptable system. However, when Microsoft were offering it at a sensible price the horrid interface seemed intrinsic, so I didn't buy, and so I have prepared a Linux Mint Boot drive for my PC.

1. Sanctimonious Prick

Hackers...

They found all the bugs in XP, which MS was obliged to "repair." Now the NSA cannot get into them (XP computers).

2. WatAWorld

Where's Linux and MacOS on the graphs?

Where's Linux and MacOS on the graphs?

1. Chad H.

Re: Where's Linux and MacOS on the graphs?

Yes, where is OS/2 on a WIndows Market Share graph?

2. Hans 1

Well as others said ... Microsoft market share.

When you consider that the latest Linux release is still less bloated than XP SP0, as in, HD footprint, I have trouble with all these commentards crying over XP.

@dan1980

The thing that makes me go mad ... for some reason, starting with Vista, when in an overview you have to left-click before you right-click.

3. CowardlyLion

If you follow the link to netmarketshare you can see the data in a variety of ways.

Desktop OS share gives Windows 90.72%, Mac OS 7.68%, Linux 1.6%, Other 0%

So Linux at 1.6% has about 1/6th the market share of Windows 8 (inc. 8.1) at 10.58%.

http://www.netmarketshare.com/operating-system-market-share.aspx?qprid=10&qpcustomd=0

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"So Linux at 1.6% has about 1/6th the market share of Windows 8 "

Difference is that the 1.6% got off their ars*s and installed Linux, built a new machine with Linux or found a supplier ( like I just did) that would provide a Windows-free laptop for a £60 discount.

4. Jess

OS X was released about the same time as XP, and it is on the 10th version. I know of users of 10.4, 10.5, 10.6 and 10.8. If all the users are as spread out amongst the versions as those I know, then it will be spread out to insignificance, when you are differentiating on point versions. (Linux has no chance at all with such measurements)

3. hungee

XP is dead, it's pining for the fjords.

When will these same commentards realize that just because you don't need it that the rest of us shouldn't have to put up with bloody XP.

I work on a help desk and when someone says "I'm not very good with computers" you can be your bottom dollar they are on XP. That is the company you are keeping.

Windows 7 is more stable, it just is and all your wishing and hoping ain't gonna make it so. It boots faster. It is a better operating system and I for one are glad that Microsoft are not going to spend my money that I pay them in license fees supporting a dead operating system. Get over it.

FFS.

1. frank ly

Re: XP is dead, it's pining for the fjords.

"I work on a help desk ..."

Have you tried turning it off and then on again?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: XP is dead, it's pining for the fjords.

I work on a help desk

Q: "Hello, I have a problem"

A: "Your computer is too old, buy a better one"

You call that "help"? I could get that sort of help from PC World, FFS.

4. Chad H.

Anyone remember that story about a month ago that said the small dip in XP proved it was on its way out....

Wondering what the small increase in XP means... everyones coming back?

5. ecofeco Silver badge

A word on the decline of XP

As I've said before, I work and have worked for some of the largest companies in the world and believe me when I tell you that this will be the year XP is retired en mass.

...and I will be the guy fixing the screwed up new images.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: A word on the decline of XP @ecofeco

"As I've said before, I work and have worked for some of the largest companies in the world and believe me when I tell you that this will be the year XP is retired en mass."

Well, since this is the Internet I'll take your statement about your experience at face value! Though I do wonder whether that experience really validates the forecast ...

6. A Non e-mouse Silver badge

I remember going into a Three store a year or two ago. I noticed their in-store desktops were still running Windows 2000. Support ended for that years ago.

I suspect Windows XP will be around for an even longer time after official support ends...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I was recently asked by one of our clients, to implement an integration solution to send extracted data from one application, to a reporting solution on another application.

As the data contained personal information, (names, addresses etc), it was classes as Confidential, so policy dictated that it must use a secure protocol.

We had been told the reporting application was a Windows server box. So we chose FTPS as the protocol, as it's built into MS IIS.

We were then told by the app support team that they couldn't do FTPS. We asked why?

Response: "It's a Windows 2000 server, so doesn't support it".

This being with a client that has a £50M + IT budget, and this server being used it turned out for business critical reports?! Still no idea why it wasn't tech refreshed years ago!

AC as they read the Reg also.

7. Matt 52

Not to be picky, but...

When I saw those stats I didn't believe them - less than 10% of "world market" for Android, iOS, etc? Couldn't be true. This is important, because if I don't believe one number then I have zero confidence in any of the other numbers.

Checking the referenced, source these stats are only for *Desktop* browsers and not for *All* browsers.

A small thing, but it makes a big difference when trying to evaluate whether or not I believe the article...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Not to be picky, but... @Matt 52

"Checking the referenced, source these stats are only for *Desktop* browsers and not for *All* browsers.

A small thing, but it makes a big difference when trying to evaluate whether or not I believe the article..."

Going by the article's title, it's talking about desktop OSs. As far as I'm aware that would exclude iOS and Android. I know it's become fashionable to slag off articles in here that don't pander to your own prejudices, but this is just weak.

1. Adrian 4

Re: Not to be picky, but... @Matt 52

It could do, then, with statistics on the use of desktops vs. other systems. Otherwise it risks choosing the dataset to provide the answer it wants.

8. Bert 1

Charity PCs

This is a tricky one.

I just took delivery of 2 PCs to ship to Africa for a charity project (very little money well targeted.)

These have OEM versions of XP re-installed on them (Data wiped, effectively a factory restore).

I took the view that Linux would be counter productive given they'll have NO SUPPORT, and the whole world uses MS. We are not about to waste money on purchasing updated windows versions, which will very likely run slowly on hardware with a shipping date of 2003.

I very much suspect I am not alone in shipping XP on old PCs to developing countries.

Given the number of these (on slow connections and unpatched), THAT is the scary part of this.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Charity PCs

Linux has no support? What?!?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

For the most part, Linux has no support if there isn't a geek around who knows CL and/or whichever distro. For the most part the only support Windows needs can be delivered via the 'net. Put it another way the issue with Windows is security, while the issue with Linux is stability.

Meanwhile, fanbois, you down-vote to your heart's content! Think of it as a survey concerning a different kind of stability.

1. Chemist

"while the issue with Linux is stability."

WHAT !

2. Anonymous Coward
          Linux

> For the most part, Linux has no support if there isn't a geek around who knows CL and/or whichever distro. For the most part the only support Windows needs can be delivered via the 'net.

Can't someone delivery Linux support over the 'net?

I'm pretty sure that you can get network support on Linux, what with it running most of the worlds web servers.

And just exactly what kind of support do you think they'll need in Africa?

Stopped working? Just reinstall it from scratch and off you go.

I run Linux Mint on my work laptop. From start to finish, complete reinstall in 15 mins and I'm working again.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Things like when the updater stops working. I've elicited that on about half a dozen distros/versions over the last three or four years. Had it on one where the updater was broken from the start and the first thing you had to do was update the updater, i.e. use the CL.

I guess we can assume that PCs supplied with Linux will come with network adapter's that do work from the off, as opposed to; after lots of under-the-bonnet stuff by someone who knows what they're doing, or, simply; can't get it to work, ever.

And, I'll tell you, most of the time you don't half have to do some searching to find the fix for these things. They're never addressed in the official documentation or the site of the distro; they are never addressed as bugs, only reported as such; the only way you find fixes are in forums; in forums you usually have to read page after page after page of postings in two, three, four forums until you find the fix that does work, and more often than not it's a link to the web-site of some guy who has done far more on this than anyone officially connected with the distro. At that point you quite possibly have to download a file or files from another site to perform the fix and you _definitely_ have to go CL from this point in. It sure helps if you've done it before! Like, say, been using Windows since MS-DOS was a familiar component of it. And this almost certainly won't involve _just_ using the CL, like updating via it; it will involve editing executable text files or similar.

Lots and lots of occasions where stopping something mid-way - because it is going to take far longer than you've got - and stopping it breaks it. Things like you can't reboot, you have to reset and when the desktop comes back up the broken thing is still there, and you still can't shut it down. Re-installing as an update doesn't fix it, so re-installing from scratch requires - if the broken module/app/whatever happened after updating the system, on re-installation it has to be updated again and on broadband can take a couple of hours - while if the broken thing is the updater itself or something of similar criticality simply re-installing is no fix whatsoever.

And when you get response after response after indignant, not to say offensive response to comments like this one from the 'bois, the one thing you can take from it is the knowledge they're talking out of their arses.

2. Charles Manning

Re: on slow connections and unpatched

At least they are on slow connections, limiting their ability to be used as spambots.

If they were unpatched and on high speed connections, then I'd be far more worried.

9. Winkypop Silver badge
    Devil

That basic table in the article

Ick!

What, no style sheet?

10. slagmi

So Windows is in a huge decline!

According to these numbers, in 2013 Windows commanded about 90% market share (impossible) and in 2014 much less (trend at least appears realistic). Research to show us what we already knew....

11. Squander Two

Statistics

Is it not a little inconsistent to count 8 and 8.1 separately but XP, XP SP1, XP SP2, and XP SP3 as just one thing?

1. Charles Manning

Re: Statistics

The difference is that Microsoft themselves are pushing the distinction to try distance 8.1 from the marketing shitpile that is 8. MS are saying this is a new OS and should be considered differently.

XP on the other hand was pitched as a linear evolution of a muture product.

12. Mag07

Lol - someone should send a dictionary to Microsoft headquarters - there is a difference between liked or admired by a number of people, or forced onto. It may be 4th most used, but I doubt it's 4th most popular ;)

1. Squander Two

Yes, but the same applies to all of them. Most of those XP users have to use it at work, and I know a lot of them hate it.

Besides, Microsoft don't care why you buy their OS, as long as you buy their OS. "I'll buy it but I don't like it" makes exactly the same amount of money as "I love it so I'll buy it."

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

ATMs

I would hope that a day 1 design principle of any ATM is that the keypads output is never ever available to the OS in native form. In fact really, the keypad together with the card reader should simply be a "PIN verification" module to the OS. Has the user entered the PIN which matches the card inserted ? Yes/No. It's how I would have designed it. Why ? Because it was how I designed it 30 years ago, when I did it as a case study at Uni.

If you can't get the PINs out of the ATM, am I alone in not really worrying ? Whats the worst that could happen. The ATM starts spitting out free money ? Well that's the banks worry.

14. Bladeforce

Yet windows users...

Cry that Linux is fragmented yet here we sit looking at windows xp, vista, 7, 8, 8.1, ie 6, ie 7, ie 8, ie 9, ie 10, ie 11. Office 2003, 2010,2013.....its laughable how fragmented windows and its software is and how much it holds back technology

They built their business model snd yheir business model is ironically biting them in the aris!

1. Squander Two

Re: Yet windows users...

I'm a Windows user, and I have never once in my life complained that Linux is fragmented. The majority of Windows users aren't like me, though: they don't even know what Linux is.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

So a list of historic releases of Windows and other software over the last twelve years is equivalent to a couple dozen current releases of Linux?

That's a bit of a stretch.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"its laughable how fragmented windows and its software is and how much it holds back technology"

But you can take software from ancient versions of Windows and it mostly still works on current versions - just trying doing that on Linux! You get dependency fails all over the show...

15. Robert E A Harvey

"fourth-most-popular"

fourth-most-used, maybe. I see no evidence of popularity.

16. S G

Downgrade rights?

Does this report take into account the users that are being forced to purchase Windows 8/8.1 with the intention of downgrading to Windows 7 and never ever ever actually using Windows 8?

If not, these results are very very skewed.

1. Squander Two

Re: Downgrade rights?

Lots of people bought Vista and downgraded to XP, so the skewing balances out a bit.

2. Steve Renouf

Re: Downgrade rights?

... with the intention of UPGRADING to Windows 7...

There - fixed that for you. :-)

3. Mike Dimmick

Usage stats, not purchase

The source for the data is the User-Agent string detected by the analytics scripts running in the web browser, for web sites using Net Applications for their analytics. It's only capable of detecting the currently-running operating system (assuming the browser isn't lying), it's not possible to tell that a given product key would be valid for a later version.

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Just last night I booted 8.1 - amusingly, solely to install Classic Shell 4.0.2 - and while in there thought I'd sort this Solitaire thing out finally (you know, having to get it from Windows Store? Apparently).

Okay, so I've had a Hotmail account since forever, and used that to create an - I don't even remember what it used to be called - then a Live account. All this in order to download evaluation versions of this or that (although generally prefer TPB to get them). And since running 8.x I've refused to open a Microsoft Account. Last night, in order to get Solitaire from Windows Store, I set about enabling my Outlook (???) account to be switched to a Microsoft Account.

Eventually we get to where they want to send a code - to the back-up account I gave them (a Gmail account) long before Windows 8.x was conceived of; and which I discontinued at least a year ago. So I go through the process of giving them a new back-up account 'because the old one no longer exists (or words to that effect)'.

Finally done. I have to wait 30 days to access the account 'because security settings have been changed (or words to that effect)'.

I do find this genuinely funny because, really, a Microsoft account is worthless. In fact, it's less than worthless, because you have to go through this shit to use it. I enjoyed telling them to close mine. The fucking morons.

1. Squander Two

I rather like Windows 8, but what you've described right there is a major fuck-up. I ran into exactly the same thing setting up my wife's PC: she'd provided a secondary email address many years ago for some reason, never needed it since, and now Microsoft insist on using it for verification even though it no longer exists. The really stupid thing is that they have her phone number -- she has a Windows phone -- but they won't use that for security verification. And she didn't have any of these problems attaching her account to her phone. I think it's a problem with Microsoft accounts in general rather than Windows 8 per se, but 8's reliance on an account to get the full experience means someone at MS really should have addressed this, especially since they apparently did fix it for Windows Phone.

1. Boothy

This is one of the reasons I didn't like Win 8+.

Why would I want, or need, to log into a local PC on my Network, with an Internet email account that rarely gets used?

Let me log in with a proper local account with a name of my choosing, then let me add my Live account once logged in, but this should be optional.

Can't see me moving away from Win 7 anytime soon unless this policy changes.

1. Squander Two

> Why would I want, or need, to log into a local PC on my Network, with an Internet email account that rarely gets used?

You don't have to. Microsoft do not force you to use a Microsoft email address; you can attach whatever address you like to your Live account. I believe I have a Hotmail account somewhere that I haven't touched in years, but my Windows account is under an address on my own personal domain. On top of that, you don't need to use a Live account to log into Windows 8 and you can indeed specify a local name of your choosing. The Live account is useful for certain functions -- the sort of thing you'd expect: tying it to other accounts, paying for things in the app store, syncing with your Windows Phone over the Net -- but not vital.

The problem referred to above is to do with the way Microsoft can insist on verifying your account using an out-of-date email address, not that they tie you to using a particular email address for the account itself.

2. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Let's skirt over the fact that apparently I did not delete that particular Gmail account. Just saw it still in my password manager so thought I'd try it. Guess I never got round to actually deleting it. Anyway so I just set it up again in Outlook (that is, the software installed on my computer, not a new name for 'Hotmail') and synced. So despite the fact I edited my details to change back-up email account - because (or so I thought) the one I originally gave them no longer existed - I find two messages from the Microsoft Accounts team to this previous address asking me to verify whether I initiated this process.

If I don't reply, then I didn't initiate it, therefore it is an attempt to hijack my account.

Let's see. It's one in the afternoon and I have had enough coffee: I fill out a form to get my back-up email account changed, because that account no longer exists. Microsoft email a non-existent account with a link to click which, if it isn't clicked, they won't believe the request is genuine and won't change the back-up email address.

How appropriate when just yesterday in one of the comments sections we were alluding to 'Catch 22'.

Guess I'll mosey on over and see if they closed my Hotmail account like I instructed. Of course, it could be that Google didn't delete that account despite my saying to. But they probably would have - they did all the others; but also, like with their search engine, unlike Microsoft theirs isn't a pile of wank.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like