back to article It's true, the START MENU is coming BACK to Windows 8, hiss sources

Microsoft's forthcoming wave of Windows updates will streamline the OS and will even see the return of the much-missed Start menu, according to new reports. Rumors that Redmond is planning a new round of updates to the various forms of its OS first surfaced last week, with ZDNet's Mary Jo Foley reporting that Microsoft will …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Paul Crawford Silver badge

Re: Too late

"In the end they got Vista more-or-less working properly"

Yes, and then they sold it as Windows 7 rather than upgrading the poor suckers who had been visted.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Too late (to stop whining about Microsoft!)

Paul, You obviously have rarely used Windows 7 or are just a Linux Shill/Microsoft Hater.

If you had used Win7 for any lenth of time you would have known that it fixed most of the objections of Vista with the exception of UAC. Win7 DID make UAC ALOT less annoying however and did not mess up file permissions like Vista did.

If you haven't figured it out by now, FWIW, no one should ever do an "upgrade" on any OS. It simply never works as well as a clean install does. You should always buy the "pro" version when buying Windows, it's just the better part of valor.

There were significant improvements to security and overall operation in Win7 that changed too much to consider a "Upgrade from Vista".

Win7 is actually about the best OS MS has done since XP Pro and before that Win98SE..

The fact remains that you cannot fix things in an OS without changing the code and that costs time and money. Therefore, you have to pay for it. You always have had to with Apple. Don't even bring Linux into the argument as it has almost always been "free" if you don't consider all the time it takes to make it work with hardware drivers.

2. Michael Habel

Re: Too late

The same thing has happenend to Windows Hate. That's why we call it Hate, instead of Eight..

1. Jim84

How about one version of windows

With an option to turn a windows 7 style start menu or modern interface on and off, and another clear option to turn automatic updates on and off.

And make it work across ARM and Intel chips.

I'm no expert, but I don't see why this is so hard to do? The only logical reason I can come up with is that Microsoft wants a large library of touch based apps for its windows 8 ecosytem, but is afraid that if they allow a windows 7 style interface on desktops and laptops no one will bother to create these. A better strategy might be to get loads more windows 8 phones and tablets out there in peoples hands by creating (or getting Samsung or some other OEM) to create a heavily subsidized 'hero' phone and tablet that they make little margin on, much like google did with the Nexus 10 tablet.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

WTF?

"A second version of Windows will be aimed at customers who want a more traditional PC experience,"

Would you please go and 'f' off Microsoft! Why can't there just be a single OS that can be customized? So tired of being a mouse on a Microsoft carousel. I'm a MS veteran, but no more. I've asked others on here how to switch to Linux and they've educated me. So I intend to end lock-in and welcome freedom..

3. Justin Otherhacker

Swap left and right click actions on the start button

Ooops, sorry, have I let the 8.2 cat out of the bag ?

4. Alan Denman

They are simply copying Apple's consumer dictat.

Quite obviously, as far as the consumer goes, the PC is to become history.

Looks to me like Linux's time has now come.

5. Baron Ebaneezer Wanktrollop III

But...

As a long time PC admin / user, read Amstrad PC1512DD - CGA, I couldn't afford the EGA with all it's splendid colour, I've tried W8 on the desktop and it's complete garbage like most of you say. But I've also tried it on a HP slate which I take it is its native environment and it's ermmmm well garbage. First thing I did after doing all the VTech swipe bollocks was open up WIndows Explorer - touch friendly? Really? Maybe if I filed my fingers down to needle sharp ocelot digits then perhaps I'd reach 5% touch accuracy.

As I've mentioned in other posts, as a long time Mac hater I now have an iMac (eBay I hasten to add) as I've just had it with Windows. All I miss is the ability to play the odd decent game but everything else is the way it should be.

Microsoft! apt get-a-grip

6. BigAndos

If this is true...

I will buy it in a second. I've held out on Windows 7 for now as I can't be doing with the horrid UI. However, I had a play with the developer preview edition of Windows 8 and it seemed promising in some ways. I have an Asus zenbook with Windows 7, I installed Windows 8 in a virtual machine and it ran like a dream even with only 1GB of RAM allocated. It booted up supremely quickly too.

This hints to me that underneath the crud of the modern UI, Windows 8 has the best underpinnings of any MS OS. It is the first one I've encountered that runs MORE smoothly on the same hardware as an older MS OS.

7. davidp231

Windows 8.2

Surely it should be Windows 8.11?

8. Shady

At this rate...

... Windows 8 will be *almost* as good as Windows 7 by 2025

9. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

Microsoft, why can't we have EL-Reg mode?

The one where you get everything designed to make 'Joe Sixpack' have a good experience disabled by default and we get proper 'classic' mode (from Win 2000) back? You know, just to get us whingers here off your back?

Then when you have fixed your desktop can you make Server 2012 (or 2014) look like your 2008 Version?

A lot of people run software NOT produced by Microsoft and therefore does not fit in with your remote management [redacted].

10. Greg D

I had to Google how to find the Control Panel...

I've been fiddling with computers since I was 6. Professionally for the past 10 years.

I have used all kinds of OS, from the CLI up. Usually takes me no more than 5 minutes to familiarise myself with any new (to me) OS GUI and find my way around.

I was asked to setup my friends Win8 PC the other day, and I spent 10 minutes trying to find the Control Panel.

After a Google search, it turns out I have to move my mouse to the top-right corner of the screen and use the slide-out menu. Of all the hair brained UI ideas, this has to be the worst. What kind of imbecile thought that this implementation would be a good idea? It's completely unintuitive, requiring pre-requisite knowledge of the UI. In fact, I hate everything about the Win8 UI, especially the new tiled start menu replacement thing. I find it completely pointless on a PC.

1. 404

Re: I had to Google how to find the Control Panel...

Dayum - where have you been? Win8's been out for a bit already.

;)

1. Greg D

I've been happily using Windows 7 x64 since 32bit XP became too limiting for me.

I have avoided Win8, for several reasons. I did have a play on a VM in my lab once, with Win8 RC1. Dont get me wrong, I was happily accessing the control panel .cpl's via the run prompt (and all the MMC's I normally use). I just couldn't locate the GUI shortcut to it.

MS engineers need some lessons in HCI.

1. Roland6 Silver badge

>MS engineers need some lessons in HCI.

Perhaps they just need to read the Windows Style Guide...

Given that MS haven't updated the Windows Style Guide, I would assume that MS didn't expect the Win8 UI to be around for very long before it got replaced by something else...

2. Wanda Lust

Try leaving the mouse aside, hit the start/menu key and type c o n t r o l

Much, much faster.

You want a File Explorer window, hit the start key and type e x p, that'll even get you IE.

And so on.

HTH.

1. Michael Habel

Faster compared to what exactly? It takes me just Two Clicks, to reach the Control Panel, One from the Start Button, (which I take it you too must hit), and the Second over the Control Panel? I'll have been in the Control Panel, long before you've typed in the "n" in "c o "n" t r o l".

The ONLY way you'd ever win this fight is by pwning noobs with Windows Hate who can't find anything, 'cause MicroSoft thought it would be more fun to troll their Users by playing hide the Soapy Sausage on them...

2. Dave K

Although you are correct, having to resort to the search box to find basic functionality and underpinnings of the OS which have been there since the early 90s (and maybe even earlier) is a sure-fire way of accepting that the UI is a complete failure.

1. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

More to the point not everyone things in the same way. Thus, search is incredibly non-optimal (to the point of being deleterious) for a great many individuals. There are 7 billion people on the planet. Given human diversity, one input methodology does not fit all.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I managed to find the control panel by using Windows key and R then typing for it, but bugger me if I could find out how to shut the damn thing down... "Oh just close the laptop lid" my niece helpfully said... "that's the only way it switches off". She'd only be using it for 5 months though....

One thing I didn't get in the article was this bit -

The idea appears to be that Microsoft will tailor slightly different versions of its operating system for different audiences, rather than the one-size-fits-all approach it tried when it launched the touch-driven Windows 8.

Microsofts current OS approach is far from a one size fits all. Yes the interface may be similar and the kernels all morphing to the same standard, but the runtimes are different and rarely compatible between RT / Phone / Full fat and that is a nightmare for developers.

Whoever takes over needs to make some big and brave decisions. They need to pick a course and stick to it instead of this half assed approach we've seen over recent years. They never even got close to their write once run anywhere dream.

4. Semaj

Right click the start button (bottom left hotcorner if 8.0)

You will be happy.

Very under-reported (and non-obvious) but useful feature, which should have been in Windows since XP.

The context menu on the start button is cute, but no replacement for a start menu. It's a nice-to-have in Server 2012 R2 (for those few instances that you run with a GUI and need to administer from time to time), but it doesn't even begin to address the issues that exist with the UI...

2. hplasm
        Meh

"Right click the start button (bottom left hotcorner if 8.0)..."

With a finger ??

1. gazthejourno (Written by Reg staff)

Re: Re: I had to Google how to find the Control Panel...

Use your middle finger, duh.

(yeah, it's a slow afternoon)

Mushroom

I know how to fix slow afternoons...

#doom

5. Vociferous

> I have used all kinds of OS, from the CLI up.

That's your problem. The more experienced you are, the worse and less intuitive Win8 seem. That's why "I bought it for my 8 year old daughter and she loves it!" is a standard retort to any criticism against Win8.

6. ScottK
      Coat

No, the "proper" way to get to the control panel is of course to press the Windows key, then type NCPA.CPL to bring up network settings (other CPLs are available, I just happen to use this one the most). You then go to the address bar and go back up a few levels to the control panel. You then drag this to your desktop as a shortcut for future reference.

Of course, if you are in a nested RDP session then the Windows key probably won't pass through. At this point, you can instead create a desktop shortcut to your favourite CPL instead, then do the address bar thing.

So much simpler than the old way of doing things (Start Menu -> Control Panel). Get with the times!

11. CheesyTheClown

Ugh!!! Yuck!!!

The start menu is for loser babies. I like the new interface and would prefer that we don't get the damn thing back :(

1. Greg D

Re: Ugh!!! Yuck!!!

Tablet user? Get orf my land!

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Startisback and Modernmix is a necessity

Got both Startisback and Modernmix installed. Spent several days searching on the internet how to find all the functions on Windows 8 in the beginning. I got Windows 8 on my portable. My desktop PC still use Windows 7. I think I will wait a couple of years before I install Windows 8 on my desktop PC.

1. Dan Paul

Re: Startisback and Modernmix is a necessity

Honestly, why would you or anyone else PAY for Startisback or Modernmix when Classic Shell is available for FREE?

I personally bay for RetroUI because Classic Shell doesn't make Metro Apps windowable.

1. Michael Habel

I'd personally _pay_ for Windows 8 if MicroSoft wold just fix the things in Windows 8 that these Commercial "Add-ons" do already. But, then who'd use much less be tempted to wright any MicoApps for their (Cr)App Store then?

13. Amorous Cowherder
    Facepalm

WIndows 8 makes it fun again!

Can't see the fuss myself, I hated Win8 at first but I persevered and I actually think Windows 8 is probably one of the best MS have actually made. I use XFCE on a Xubuntu for 8 hours a day plus Java Desktop on Solaris, which is a truly awful experience I also have an OSX powered Macbook, I still like coming home to Win8!

I like fact that you can't easily find anything, makes computing fun again! We got so safe and comfortable, ha ha! So you can't find stuff easily, so what?! Jesus when I started on a Dragon32 back in '82 you didn't have a bloody clue what to do, certainly nothing to help you but a black blinking cursor! However I made an effort to learn what all those BASIC commands did and if you do it enough you learn it.

1. Michael Habel

Re: WIndows 8 makes it fun again!

I can't report on the Java Desktop, as I've never used it. But, if you think XFCE is One of the worst Destop Environments, then you Sir are sadly mistaken! Perhaps you meant to say the least flash of all the Desktops. That's certainly true. Which ironically makes it One of the best most stable Environments you could hope to work in!

Top kek let's compare WIndows Hate, to the Great Micro Computers of the '80's! As if the Corpoates have all the Time, Money & Energy to retrain their entire Workforce on MicroSoft's whims! Seems to me that someone has almost, all but, forgotten all that stink that got kicked up back when Office 2007 landed and, dumped that awful Ribbon UI on us?

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Missing the woods for the trees

For me adding the Start Menu back is the wrong thing to do. Now before people start negging I appreciate people want it back and Microsoft was wrong to ditch it this early but clamouring for it back diverts attention away from the main issue, the Start Screen just isn't good enough.

While I'm happy with the Start Screen there's too many issues with it and number one is that its a desktop replacement that doesn't do what a desktop should and Microsoft should be focusing on getting that working.

There needs to be a "Metro" File Manager and Control Panel.

There needs to be a facility to pin folders and individual files to the Start Screen.

There needs to be the option to change the appearance of the start screen such as skins or colour coding apps based on column or app type (Green for games and purple for sports/news for example).

They need to expand the idea of "hubs". The games hub should allow you to add non Windows App Store games for quick launching and the Music Hub should automatically add other services to it such as Deezer and Nokia Music so that you aren't cluttering up your Start Screen.

And for the love of God Microsoft sort out the Charm menus! The Right and Left side swipe menus should be a single swipe menu at the top of the page with a clickable icon for mouse users, just like it is on almost EVERY OTHER WINDOWS SOFTWARE. Replace Devices with a "Send to" option and restrict Share to emails/social media/ messaging.

Simply adding the Start Menu to the desktop won't make the OS better and it won't get customers back as its not fixing the fundeemental problems that are pushing customers away.

Re: Missing the woods for the trees

Your list of band-aids on top of band-aids still don't sort out the issues others of us have with a giant, useless app chooser taking up the entire screen...or indeed apps that take up the entire screen.

Here's a thought: you bring back the start menu and you fix metro. It's called choice.

Choice is only a bad thing if you're a religious zealot. You know, the kind so obsessed with women's vagina that they will torment entire nations in order to ensure an unwanted baby gets born but them work with furious vengeance and anger to ensure that no social safety net exists to care for that same child once it's emerged into the world? Yeah, I lump all you "anti-choice" types in the same group of obsessive-compulsive sociopaths.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

So just so we are clear, you are saying that people who remove a woman's right to take ownership over her own body and then punish them for it are no worse than someone discussing whether a consumer product should have a button or not?

Just so we're perfectly clear, I believe that anyone who advocates removal of choice from someone else is in the same bin. Remember that in many corners "right to life" belief is non-controversial and viewed as socially positive. They would be insulted to be associated with the kind of people who would tell you what you can and cannot buy.

Regardless of which choice you are denying someone, if you advocate denying some choice, you're a douche.

Personally, I believe that right-to-lifers are both the "anti-choice" sort of douche as well as the "misogynistic fuckbag" class of douche, a twofer that makes the more douchy than your regular "my preferences should determine what you are allowed to purchase" douche.

I do understand that in some (rare) instances choice needs be curtailed for the common good. You shouldn't be allowed to choose , for example, to own a nuclear weapon. But restricting someone else's choice when the impact of the other person's decision doesn't affect you in the slightest really does smack of douchbaggery, regardless of how extreme the context.

If you strip away the misogyny portion of the debate and put it to one side, what's so different about telling someone they must have a baby? Or that they must get married? Or they they must not go to school? In each case it is one person forcing their will on others where, ultimately, the result of that other person's choice doesn't impact the douche in question at all.

Why is it somehow more acceptable when corporations become involved? I don't view capitalism as a get-out-of-jail-free card for unethical behaviour. Authoritarian douchbaggery is authoritarian douchebaggery no matter how you dress it up.

Microsoft is free to make a start menu, or not, as they choose. I wouldn't force Microsoft to fix Windows 8, even if I could. They have to want to. I can, however, show them that there are consequences (such as alienating their user base) for each action...but it must be Microsoft's choice.

Similarly it is my choice as a customer to protest and lobby until I convince Microsoft to change their mind. When someone says to me "I believe you should not be given the choice" the rest of the sentence doesn't matter. You're a douche.

You might be a douche with added douchiness because of what choice you want to deny, but there is a base level of douchiness simply to the act of wanting to deny someone choice.

1. Lexxy

Trevor,

On the topic of right-to-lifers, respectfully, does the unborn human fetus get a choice?

@Lexxy pretty much all scientific research shows that in the first trimester the unborn fetus is less aware than the snails that clean my fishtank. So no, it doesn't.

That said, I'm not entirely deaf to the right-to-lifer point of view. If they are prepared to create a social compact wherein a woman who is forced to bring an unwanted child to term is compensated for several times her salary during the period of the pregnancy (to make up for opportunity cost of career advancement as well as her regular salary), post-partum counselling, and we are prepared to provide a rich, supportive, caring environment for the child - including paying for all it's needs until it is done post-secondary - I would consider that they may have achieved a compromise worth putting the issue to a referendum.

That said, under no circumstances would I support forcing a pregnancy to term if it had a risk of harming the mother. The right to choice of a living, sentient and sapient woman trumps the "right" (and I use the term very loosely) of a non-sentient, non-sapient clump of cells.

"What could be" is not an excuse to restrict, restrain or harm people who are here, now. That child "could be" the next Hitler. It could be possessed of any of a hundred thousand genetic abnormalities that means it won't make it to term, or suffer SIDS shortly after birth.

When large amounts of peer reviewed science - not the odd paid-for-by-the-right-to-lifers crank - shows that fetuses within the first trimester have the ability to choose, this might be a different conversation. Until then, we're arguing about the right of something roughly equal to bread mould that "might, one day" be more versus the right of a living, breathing person.

Now, if that isn't enough politics for one day, I could get started on the insanity of the US's refusal to install mandatory background checks on firearms or ban automatic weapons, despite support from 95% of the population...

1. Lexxy
                Unhappy

Trevor,

Thanks for your reply. For me life is more than the sum of its parts and your clinical perspective (and attitude) on this matter saddens me deeply. We know its a bunch of cells - but we don't know why it's alive. That spark of life which we take away we can never give back.

I reject your arguments that it's about the "here and now" on the basis that in such circumstances the "here and now" is a living entity which will*, without interference, develop into a human being with thoughts/feelings of his/her own. I was granted this life. You were granted this life. Would you not argue for your chance to sit here now and debate this with me? Even if your lot in life is to die at a terribly young age (even still within the womb), surely you deserved an honest shot?

I don't have an answer for some of your more difficult arguments (what if it endangers the mother, what if the child will be born into poverty etc.) and I'd like to meet someone who does - but all I know is that in conclusion I'm glad I'm here, I'm glad I'm alive and I'm glad nobody made a choice to take that away from me.

* Before you jump on me (abnormalities, miscarriage, could be the next Führer enacting a 4th Reich blitzkrieg of Nazis mounted on dinosaurs), as far as I'm aware in general most foetuses go on to develop normally, be birthed normally and live normal mostly uneventful (in world stage terms) lives.

Hi Lexxy, well this is the classic debate, isn't it? I don't believe life is mysterious. I can tell you exactly why those cells are alive. I can explain it all right back to first principles. With enough science the need for religion evaporates.

I also don't hold that a clump of cells has the capability to make a choice. If they do, what then a mouse, a moose or even a biofilm? What makes one non-sentient, non-sapient clump of cells more important than another? My fish is more aware than a fetus. My cat more aware than a 3-year-old child. What makes humans sacred?

I was not "granted' life. That implies a sky fairy doling out lots which is - ultimately - absurd. I am the result of trillions upon trillions of chemical interactions and nothing more. My conciousness is an emergent property of those chemical interactions and humans are not the only animals that are both sentient and sapient.

By all tests, Elephants are likely just as sentient and as sapient as we are. Corvids most likely are close enough for jazz as are cetaceans and our cousins the other Great Apes. I do not hold humans to be exceptional. I do not hold myself to be exceptional. Holy hell, man, I'm mostly bacteria. Organisms we gleefully kill by the quadrillions without a second thought are absolutely critical to making sure the very chemical processes that keep my body alive continue to function.

Your argument seems to rest on the innate majesty of man, an argument which is typically rooted in religion. I reject both religion and the innate majesty of man. Sentience and sapience are the relevant qualities I respect. In this regard I respect an infant human no more (and no less) than I do a dog or a cat. I hold a completely non-sentient cellular mass with less regard than I do my fish.

As much as I respect your right to believe what you will, only science and hard evidence will change my views, and in that view you cannot remove a choice from something that isn't capable of making one. Nobody is a "person" to me until they are sentient and sapient...and frankly, I include a lot more of the animal kingdom in my definition of "person" than those who typically wield religious right-to-life arguments would ever accept.

Complicated world, many views.

2. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

Not at all. As a "Pro-choice" supporter who's travelled down this road with my then partner the "choice" belongs purely to the woman carrying the fetus. Even the partner has no "choice" in the matter, they have input into the decision making process but the choice ultimately lies with the person who's pregnant. I was lucky in that me and my partner agreed on the "choice" that was best for us though we struggled with the consequences and eventually split up because of it.

Choice by its very nature is exclusionary, the choices you make will exclude others and remove the option of choice from them. In my case our "choice" excluded the fetus and that fetus will be prevented from ever making a choice itself. Not just that, the system has the right to make a choice on our behalf, the system tried to make that choice for us and religion wasn't involved. Its frustrating, infuriating and deeply upsetting being sat across the room with someone you don't know judging you, telling you they don't like the choice you made and seriously considering rejecting the hardest choice we ever had to make. It was only with the birth of my daughter with my wife was I able to come to terms with being involved in the decision.

So for someone to try and compare someone posting about a poxy button on a bit of software to the system I had to endure is just disgusting and abhorrent.

Followup to this here.

3. Vociferous

> does the unborn human fetus get a choice?

Ask it. Oh wait it doesn't have a functioning brain, and is as self-aware as a turnip so one can't.

A fetus is a potential future person, not an actual person, and so does not have choice.

1. Lexxy

> it doesn't have a functioning brain, and is as self-aware as a turnip

Well, the same can be said of many adults (certainly given the drivel they decide to post on-line) but I don't advocate their destruction.

As in war, to kill, we must first de-humanize.

Lexxy, I think with that statement any credibility you may have had evaporated. Are you seriously trying to say that an adult human being who is sentient, sapient and capable of processing information about their environment, making decisions, etc is rationally equivalent to a non-sentient, non-sapient clump of cells? That they are the same thing to you? Under what logic does that form?

Let's take one of the most extreme scenarios; someone with a genetic defect leading to mental retardation so sever they would score below 70 on an IQ test. As an adult, that human is still more aware than a cat or a dog. They are well into the realm of being aware of their environment, being able to have theory of mind and a fear of death. Are you honestly saying that even the most mentally bereft of adult humans is the same as a collection of cells without a functional neural network?

A blob of cells isn't human. It has the potential to be human, but the characteristics that make us sentient and sapient simply don't exist at that stage.

Let me put this into context: are you familiar with the concept of stem cells? They are cells in your body flooded with telomerase and which have not had "fates" assigned to them. (Fate assignation methodology is beyond the scope of this comment, however, there's plenty of research if you want to hit up Google Scholar.) The short version of a stem cell is that it can become any kind of cell. Most stem cells could even be used to clone an entirely new copy of the host animal.

Adult humans produce thousands of these things per day. Our brains alone crank out several hundred new brain cells a day, to say nothing of the stem cells lining our guts, our marrow and various other aspects of our physiology: we are constantly being refreshed and renewed wiht new cells thanks to our stem cells. We couldn't be alive without them.

What's really interesting is that these stem cells don't always actually stay put. Every now and again we'll shed a few. One of the places this happens more than any other is our intestines. Or, to put this in a more compact version:

On a fairly regular basis you actually excrete as part of your feces collections of cells that could very easily (under the right circumstances) grow to become an adult human being. Not just any adult human being, one with your exact genetic code.

That's right, you poop people.

Well, that is, if you define any random collection of cells that could grow to become a fully independent adult human being a "person".

So, are you "advocating the destruction of a person" by taking a crap? What about by cutting yourself, bleeding and thus causing an uptick in blood cell production which ultimately jars loose a few stem cells that will probably be passed through the kidneys and excreted with your urine? How many "potential people" are killed by a night of intoxication?

Oh, so you don't consider the clumps of cells you excrete, bleed or murder with toxins to be "potential people?" Why, exactly? What differentiates that agglomeration of cells in your intestines from one that happens to exist in a uterus?

Did your mind generate something with the word "natural"? Interesting! But you see, "nature" is jut the result of fundamental forces interacting. The sort of thing that makes a hydrogen bond to a carbon, and those interact with another carbon...amino acids form proteins which cooperate and compete until you have RNA, DNA, cells, biofilms, multicellular organisms...and you.

You're a sack of chemicals and nothing more. That's nature.

What sets advanced multicellular life apart from less advances forms of life is the emergent properties of neural networks. The more complex the network the more complex the consciousness of the organism. Cats, dogs, people, elephants...where do you draw the line? Why?

Ultimately what this really boils down to is that you are arguing that potential people should have rights. But you are only arguing for a specific kind of potential people. Ones that arise under very specific circumstances. In order to grant rights to this special class of potential people you seem entirely ready to deprive actual people of their rights. Why?

What about non-human animals? Which among them deserve right? Why? Why not?

What about "potential people" that don't arise from your sanctioned methodology? Do they deserve rights? Why? Why not?

Your argument is based in emotion and rhetoric. I am open minded. I can be persuaded, my mind changed. I suspect you'll find that most of The Register's readership is the same. The key here is that you have to actually put the effort in. Answer the hard questions. Provide evidence, sound reasoning, logic and rationale.

Emotions of the arguing parties are irrelevant. Rhetoric is irrelevant. Faith is irrelevant. Either you can prove your argument or you can't, if you can't then don't expect to persuade anyone.

In the meantime, I will continue to advocate that women have the right to prevent a clump of non-sentient, non-spaient cells from developing a neural network advanced enough to be capable of choice. (Though I believe that once a neural network has evolved past that point the ethics of termination changes.)

I won't, however, denigrate adult humans - regardless of their mental faculties - by saying that they are remotely "the same" as something that can't think, or feel...or choose.

1. Lexxy

Trevor,

Thanks again for taking the time reply, especially in such detail, bar the opening judgement on my credibility which I have no interest in - If you (and others) think I'm a fool then so be it, at least I had the bottle to speak my mind amongst an audience which, as you mentioned, have their beliefs firmly grounded in scientific method.

Please ignore my previous flippancy in response to Vociferous, I do not believe that an adult and a group of cells in an early fetus are rationally equivalent at all - I simply grow tired of people assuming on the basis of my views that I'm not aware of this. He addressed me like a cretin and perhaps got a cretinous reply.

I, like you, consider myself open minded. Right now, and throughout this conversation, I'm not trying to persuade anyone of anything - how can I claim to have the "right" opinion on something so complicated where forming an argument with evidence, reasoning, logic and rationale deserves more than the 10-15 minutes of time allocated for writing a comment on The Register. I'm simply sharing an opinion, and I am listening to yours. That is all.

You have defined the parameters of our debate in "The Borg" style fashion (to paraphrase: strength is irrelevant. death is irrelevant. you will be assimilated) by defining what is relevant and what is not but I argue that those relevancies are to you and not the topic as a whole. Empathy and emotion are part of what makes us more than the chemical machines you have clearly defined and why as a species we do not always choose the (sometimes blindingly obvious) logical solution to our problems. You may point out the irony that these feelings are a result of a biological process in themselves - I don't however think that this is a reason to ignore them.

I realise that we are now clearly off-topic of the original news story, so I invite any closing comments you may have on our discussion, however, I think I've said what I came here to say and therefore "I rest my case".

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like