back to article Guardian lets UK spooks trash 'Snowden files' PCs to make them feel better

GCHQ spooks reportedly rocked up at The Guardian's London headquarters and oversaw the destruction of some computer hardware - because the machines may have stored copies of documents leaked by whistleblower Edward Snowden. The move came after the newspaper's editor-in-chief Alan Rusbridger refused to comply with demands to …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Rob Crawford

Maybe they heard of quantum entanglement

and therefore mistakenly believed that destroying one copy would cause all other copies to vanish as well

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Relax. They're just filming a new saturday afternoon program for ITV. "You've been detained". You'll all be laughing at how you got caught out when they air it.

3. a cynic writes...
    Coat

Next week's BOFH...

"...for the umpteenth time the concern is that personal data is destroyed in line with ISO 27001: 2005. We accept, albeit reluctantly, that you have the data and will run stories based on it. Even you realise that there's some things that shouldn't be broadcast or you wouldn't redact them."

"So you're not going to arrest me?"

"No", Agent Smith sighed "we're not going to arrest you. We just want to make sure that equipment you no longer need is disposed of securely".

...20 minutes and 3 wrong turns later...

The big boss was clearly confused, as he struggled to remember my name. "This is er....our...er..."

"Hello, Simon"

"Hello Dave, what brings you down here?"

"Security audit basically. We need to make sure you don't leak the data that was leaked to you. If I could take a copy of the secure destruction certificates I'll be on my way."

"No can do...we do it in-house I'm afraid. Stephen can show you if you like?" I say as I pick up the Head Beancounter's Macbook

...Five minutes of the PFY with a sledge hammer later...

"I think I can safely say that's securely destroyed" said Dave as he brushed plastic fragments from his suit.

"So everything's OK" said the Big Boss

"Yes, we can call off the black helicopters. Thanks Simon - pint later?"

4. Nick Kew

Only the KGB?

Thought experiment: suppose they had successfully destroyed the Guardian's copy of everything, and any copies they'd made or distributed.

Might that leave the KGB with the only remaining copies? Can't imagine Snowden got his asylum without going through an interview with Russian police, and in his case that would mean something more than a bog-standard immigration officer. Seems likely they demanded copies - maybe all copies and originals - of everything.

That's what you get by putting a man so totally at the mercy of a foreign power. If he could've returned home without facing Manning's fate, none of that need have happened.

Should we conclude that TPTB are happier for the KGB than the Guardian to have its secrets?

1. kyza

Re: Only the KGB?

It's the FSB now.

Same personnel, new logo.

2. John G Imrie

Should we conclude that TPTB are happier for the KGB than the Guardian to have its secrets?

Yes. The KGB wont let the rest of the Russian population know what's in the documents.

3. SoaG

Of course not! PRC got their copy first remember, and I wouldn't be surprised if they shared with DPRK. Frankly, I'm a little surprised Snowden isn't sipping an umbrella drink on a beach right outside the wire of Guantanamo.

5. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Gimp

Wonder if they turn up on YouTube. CCTV is everywhere, right?

Funny how the people so keen to destroy our privacy are so protective of theirs?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So this can only fuel the development of secure email and a more secure internet.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"So this can only fuel the development of secure email and a more secure internet."

We (tech enthusiasts) may think that.

Ms Bloggs and your gran don't have a clue about what is going on and will not be discussing.

So the reality is, No, this will not fuel the development of secure email and a more secure internet.

even if paranoid computing becomes mainstream, "the Feds" will always demand backdoor access in the name of keeping us safe from terrorists.

2. Alan Firminger

I suspect that all calculated encryption is fallible.

The only way we get to converse privately is using a one time pad. That might be perhaps a pen drive full of 4kb files of random numbers, one at sender and at recipient. When the sender has used the next files in the drive they are wiped.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Are we sure they were UK spooks?

Perhaps they weren't UK spooks. How would you confirm their identity?

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Re: Are we sure they were UK spooks?

Half the journalists had been at Eton and Cambridge with them?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Are we sure they were UK spooks?

...and knew the nicknames of the GCHQ people.

"Hello, tosser old sport, last time I saw you you were beating a fag because you felt like it. Come down in the world since then, haven't you?"

8. Jens Goerke

That explains their previous steps

So that's why they they wanted their subjects to be disarmed - they're playing the long game.

9. Pen-y-gors

Use the cloud

Next time the Grauniad are asked about this, how about they say that it was all uploaded to Amazon S3 - "but they've forgotten the name of the account", and then get GCHQ to smash all of Amazon's hard drives...

10. Mr Young
    Mushroom

I'm increasingly convinced...

Governments have 'something to hide' (how innocent of me to take this long); Detaining partners of journalists "just because" stinks of total fucking hypocrisy when all I hear is 'I've got nothing to fear'. Well fuck them and stop abusing all of us in anyway you can think of thanks...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Big Brother

Re: I'm increasingly convinced...

They are obviously scared shirtless (as it seems are most major European governments) that something will come out that compromises the gchq's activities, or causes the NSA such a blow that the gchq has to go looking for another sugar daddy.

For instance, not picked up here on el reg were all the references to "fveye" (if I am remembering synonym accurately) in the audit report and training materials that came out late last week. That stands for "five eyes", and my understanding was that means that any example of querying/surveilling proceeded by that designation meant those capabilities were available to each of the now famous "five eyes". The gchq can't have been happy to see that pop out.

11. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Operational Inteligence

Duncan Campbell described something similar 25years ago when the police came and seized the computer he was using when investigating something.

They proudly carried the monitor of the PCW out of the house but left all the boxes of floppy disks.

12. Pascal Monett Silver badge

OK, let's sum things up

A whistleblower escapes to another country after revealing publicly damning evidence that world society is under a total surveillance scheme without any regard for individual privacy, contrary to the very legal foundations of said country.

After the initial shock period, spook centers around the world work in concert to lock down the leak, find the whistleblower and silence him.

In order to do so, authorities have demonstrated that they are now willing to :

1) force ambassadorial entities to stop and prove that the whistleblower is not on board

2) harass and intimidate people related to the whistleblower, or that are in professional relations with him, using clearly abusive pretexts

3) abuse state powers and proceed to destroy private equipment without any justification

What is next ? Night visits to anyone who has contacted the whistleblower, with complementary beatings ? Some "unfortunate" accidents ? Waterboarding people who have read about this whole affair on the Web ?

I have the very unfunny feeling that, for the first time in recent history, Goodwin's Law should be invoked.

Because it is starting to look like the Gestapo have not disappeared at all. They have become Gestapo Incorporated, and they are watching you from your local Beating Center.

You will behave, Citizen.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I am not British, so maybe I am offbase with this:

Frankly, if I were the Queen, I'd blow a fuse over hearing a story such as this. I would call the PM in and demand an explanation. I know the Queen is not the political ruler of the country, but her opinion counts to both the people and the government and I know Queen Elizabeth II is very thoughtful and conscientious of Great Britain's system. If I were the Queen, I'd warn the PM that if I EVER heard of another occurrence such as this, I'd make a public statement of my dissatisfaction with the government's handling of same, calling it almost a level of embarrassment on the overstepping of governmental power.

What the hell is going on with our governments? The only answer is to throw them ALL out, vote for a wholesale changing of the guard, get all new politicians in even if they are loyal to the same party. But that won't happen - the voting power is still with the people yet they constantly vote back the same individuals who abuse the power we give them.

We've caused this on ourselves.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

re: if I were the Queen

I would certainly be worried about my security - what with Brazillian terrorists being released into the country and such.

At my next weekly meeting with the PM I would make sure I had a couple of beefy members of the Scots and Irish guards standing behind him with their sabres drawn.

2. Anonymous Dutch Coward
      Linux

If I were the UK queen, I'd rather emigrate to Iceland. Seems a lot better for one's mental health than trying to get to change civil servants/security services to change their ways.

PS: Shame there's no polar bear icon...

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"What the hell is going on with our governments? The only answer is to throw them ALL out, vote for a wholesale changing of the guard, get all new politicians in even if they are loyal to the same party. But that won't happen - the voting power is still with the people yet they constantly vote back the same individuals who abuse the power we give them.

We've caused this on ourselves."

Said this for years but most just think I'm a nut!

It's only when you, rarely, hear what is really happening that small numbers of people sit up and listen. But the great unwashed just don't give a shit and will say "meh" and go back to posting shitting links to kittens and kids on Fakebook.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Not the queen, Charlie boy would be on the phone. Except that he doesn't like us very much, he is already consulted on laws and we don't know what he has said.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Stellar security

And we wonder how the data leaked in the first place?

A typical 7-year-old smartphone newbie could do better!

Intimidate! Intimidate!

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Old drives?

I suppose they just took some old 200MB drives from old PCs and smashed them up for the spooks to see while they hid the real drives.

16. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

"You've had your debate. There's no need to write any more.”

Did someone from HM government seriously say that? Maybe its just me, but that seems just a tad at odds with the concept of "democracy".

And then they show up on premises to smash some hard drives that probably don't contain anything more seditious than sedoku sheets?

You Brits have it even worse than we do in the U.S.!!

1. TheAincient

Re: "You've had your debate. There's no need to write any more.”

My understanding it was a quote from one of the bods from GCHQ, so from one perspective it was a government man.

The point is, it indicates an serious dis-respect for democracy and the people of the UK.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Unhappy

The really sad thing is that my grandfather used to be a director of radio interception for GCHQ back in the 50s and 60s. I'd like to think he would think this kind of authoritarian stongarming would be pretty stupid. He was the kind of guy who would never hurt a fly and basically your somewhat eccentric Brit technologist stereotype.

But then again he was also something of a company man....

1. Richard 12 Silver badge
          FAIL

Your grandfather would definitely have been against it, don't you worry.

If nothing else, it's a bloody stupid thing to do.

Radio interception worked because neither end knew whether GCHQ was listening in - they might suspect, but they did not know.

Marching in at all defeats the point.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"The point is, it indicates an serious dis-respect for democracy and the people of the UK"

And this is surprising? These are the people who kept files on Labour Ministers (but not of course Conservative ones).

The recruitment base for Intelligence officers (not the technical staff, as revealed by Spycatcher, which I was careful at the time to read in the US) probably has a very high intersection with the right wing of the Conservative Party and the families who, in the 1930s, thought a dose of Hitlerism would sort out the country. Would one expect their perception of the world to be anything but warped? On the contrary, a reasonable hypothesis is that secret police everywhere are pretty much the same, and what they get away with depends only on the extent to which the Government is more representative of the population as a whole. This really is one for the Lib Dems to unite on with Labour.

Notice that UKIP is silent on the subject, presumably because they appeal to the core demographic that's in favour of a bit of oik-bashing.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

It's a bit like Rupert Murdoch dismissing all those allegations as being a waste of police time.

Do you think these people take their real world behaviour from the films they watch? It could explain a lot. I vaguely recall an article some years ago suggesting that some members of the Manchester police believed that various TV programmes were a realistic portrayal of policing in the US.

17. Nifty Silver badge

Don't worry, a copy of the trashed data will turn up on a rubbish dump on one of GCHQ's own unencrypted hard drives.

18. Maty

Still think Britain is a democracy?

1. jason 7
      Meh

We in the west havent had real democracy for decades. Only an illusion of it.

Whomever you vote for the same old agenda goes on. The few cherry picked bits of differing but irrlevant ideology is just there to let us know the difference.

Pick a western country and you'll see the pattern. Look at Bush/Obama/Cameron/Brown

Same song, different tempo.

Bit late to change it now though.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"We in the west havent had real democracy for decades"

W B Yeats said it, after being disillusioned by the Irish Civil War:

"Hurrah for revolution, and more cannon-shot

A beggar on horseback lashes a beggar on foot.

Hurrah for revolution, and cannon come again

The beggars have changed places, but the lash goes on".

19. Christian Berger

If you ever thought your government could be trusted

You now know you can't.

20. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Good news!

You're not paranoid!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Good news!

The Daily Show already used the above as their segment title when talking about the NSA. They didn't mention gchq though.

21. Furbian
    Unhappy

Sounds hilarious..

... but this just isn't funny, guys in (jackboots?) turning up and trashing hardware, and the whole 'you've had your fun' etc. exchanges.

Looks like the 'government' is acting with impunity. This is simply wrong.

22. SoaG

Yeah...that'll work...

I'm sure those HDDs contained the only copies in existence other than on Snowden's personal laptop. None of the data is stored a dozen different places on the internet...

Here's a hint for the cops. The only likely reasons the entire trove isn't all publicly available, are that releasing a bit at a time A) keeps Snowden in the public mind so he feels safer and B) it sells a LOT more papers. If the US feds don't work out something with Snowden before the effectiveness of that strategy inevitably wanes due to the public going SQUIRREL!, it will all be available via wikileaks/torrent/etc.

23. Forget It

Quite satisfying that a MacBook was the whipping boy.

24. Richard Boyce
    Facepalm

Just following orders

I wonder if those GCHQ "security experts" were just ex-soldiers who were hired by GCHQ solely because they could be trusted to obey orders and keep their mouths shut. No understanding required.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Just following orders

No, British soldiers are trained to follow the rule of law. Unlike the Met, they are not even allowed to shoot people who aren't pointing guns at them.

More likely Serco or G4S, I would think. They have form.

25. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Where was the Guardian's BOFH?

...me thinks this would have ended differently if the BOFH had been in that day.

1. Intractable Potsherd

Re: Where was the Guardian's BOFH?

>KZERRT!<

26. Only me!
    Black Helicopters

Not China Only One Agent Here!

Comments on Le Reg here.

Comment Blah, Blah, Blah

Up Votes 42 Down Votes 1

Comment Blah, Blah, Blah

Up Votes 17 Down Votes 1

Comment Blah, Blah, Blah

Up Votes 6453738 Down Votes 1

Conclusion.....1 British agent is on the case of Le Reg!

1. Intractable Potsherd

Re: Not China Only One Agent Here!

More likely, it's Matt Bryant desperately showing that he isn't "sheeple" who are wrong in our distrust of the government he seems to implicitly trust!

1. Matt Bryant Silver badge
        FAIL

Re: Pothead Re: Not China Only One Agent Here!

"More likely, it's Matt Bryant desperately showing that he isn't "sheeple" who are wrong in our distrust of the government he seems to implicitly trust!" So, you show me where this mythical threat from The Man is, without just spouting a load of leftie bullshit and conspiracy theories, and then I might take your posts as anything more than paranoid delusions. And pointing to the other sheeple that have been spoonfed the same paranoid delusions is not evidence of anything other than the gullibility of the herd mentality.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like