back to article Google goes dark for 2 minutes, kills 40% of world's net traffic

You can all relax now. The near-unprecedented outage that seemingly affected all of Google's services for a brief time on Friday is over. The event began at approximately 4:37pm Pacific Time and lasted between one and five minutes, according to the Google Apps Dashboard. All of the Google Apps services reported being back …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Silver badge

@AC 14:29 (was: Re: @DAM (was: Who the hell cares?) @Jake)

Steve wasn't a close, personal friend. He was a good neighbor.

I didn't build google. I did mentor their founders. Sadly, I failed. The twats.

I did help work out how to transfer the existing NCP ARPANet to the existing TCP/IP network, though ... and my system has been up, running & available since Flag Day.

I'm only in my mid 50s, the Manhattan Project was before my time.

Thumb Up

Funny enough it had perfect timing for me

I was watching a video where a guy was talking about Nintendo and showing his TV while using a Wii U, and he said Now before Nintendo gets my video pulled I have to give out a dis... video died

I was like wow that's odd hit refresh got server not found, and was like damn that was some DMCA take down.

Paris Hilton

HA! They DMCA'd the entire Internet! Makes me think of a commercial I saw a while back about reaching the end of the Internet.

Silver badge

It must be the changing alpha constant

Let's see whether Google rolls out one of those special occassion "Google" logos for this next year.

Silver badge

Re: It must be the changing alpha constant

"Let's see whether Google rolls out one of those special occassion "Google" logos for this next year."

A heart monitor readout. Pulse, pulse... long flatline... pulse, pulse. The flatline goes through the letters in the word Google.

Silver badge

It's alive!

So Google has finally achieved sentience.

I guess we all just sit back and wait for it to take over the wor !*(£^&"~~

NO CARRIER

Silver badge

Explanation

It will be interesting to see how Google explain this event.

It is difficult to think up reasons for the outage that don't put dents in Google's claims of being reliable enough to trust ones entire business to. After all, if you've trusted your entire business to Google's cloud (Docs, mail, everything) then when Google are down there's nothing you can do; you're not working. There's not even a phone number you can call.

At least if you have your own IT you can go and harry the IT guys.

Companies are very bad at risk management. It always seems that they refuse to consider highly unlikely scenarios that have devastating consequences. For instance how many outfits are there that have all their IT in a cloud and have an effective Plan B in their sleeve just in case? Companies like Google are highly unlikely to go off line completely for a long stretch, but if all your IT is Googlised and they do vanish for a few days, your business is guaranteed to be in deep trouble.

So what exactly would a good Plan B be? There's no easy way to start using another cloud because there is no way to do a bulk export of everything (docs, calendars, contacts, sheets and mail, etc) that you can bulk import into another cloud. In fact such a thing would be the very last thing that Google, Microsoft, etc. would want to give you. I know that you can get at the data piecemeal, but file by file and user by user exports and imports is no way to perform disaster recovery.

Synchronising a cloud with your own IT is more like it, but surely the whole point of a cloud is to avoid having your own IT. Such synchronisation is available only because the cloud providers offer it as a way to get going with a cloud; I don't expect that it will be something that will work reliably and well forever.

And if you're going to have your own IT then what exactly is the cloud for anyway? Backup?

To me and presumably anyone else that cares about coping with the ultimate What-If problems clouds just don't meet the requirements. However, with the likes of Microsoft, Apple and Google trying very hard to push their customers onto their respective clouds and a large be action of those customers being happy (or stupid) enough to go along with that, what choice will there be for those that want to do things on their own IT?

Clouds also bring big national risks. Say Google got to the position where 50% of American companies were wholly dependent on Google's cloud for their docs, sheets, contacts databases, etc. That would mean that 50% of the US economy is just one single hack attack away from difficulty and possibly disaster. Is that a healthy position for a national economy to be in? Isn't that a huge big juicy target for a belligerent foe, be they an individual or nation state? After all, Google's networks have been penetrated before (they blamed the Chinese as it happens); why not again?

Re: Explanation

"Companies are very bad at risk management. It always seems that they refuse to consider highly unlikely scenarios that have devastating consequences. "

I agree, but I think it's more a fixation trying to plan for the last disaster, not the next. In a way similar to airline safety, all the checks are to prevent the last hijacking/bombing not the next.

Silver badge
Meh

Trust in the cloud. Microsoft's just went down as well as Google's but don't worry, just trust in the cloud.

Silver badge
Facepalm

"Companies are very bad at risk management. It always seems that they refuse to consider highly unlikely scenarios that have devastating consequences. "

I used to work for a large British company.

One of their Manchester offices was damaged by an IRA bomnb in the 90's.

The staff were relocated; the servers replaced; but whilst the backups had been completed diligently, and kept safe in the firesafe, no one was allowed access to the site to retrieve them for many weeks, by which time they were virtually useless....

I guess no one had thought of off site backups....

Silver badge
Unhappy

In the same way...

Nobody thinks about the effect of a real virus. What happens if your entire office staff are laid low with a particularly nasty flu virus?

Silver badge
Thumb Up

"It will be interesting to see how Google explain this event."

Silver badge

@John Brown,

"42".

Well, that might be their answer, but Googling 6x9 reveals a very dull 54.

Clearly they've no sense of humour.

Silver badge
Boffin

During my PhD, back in the late '80s/early '90s so before anything net other than email and usenet my thesis was stored on 3.5" 'floppies' (1.4Mb eventually). I had three sets:

A daily working set (didn't always have my own computer with a hard drive)

A travelling backup set that was updated daily and lived in my backpack (in a plastic disc box)

A home set that came in once a week to be updated.

The lab postdoc told of guy back before computers were available for such tasks who gave his handwritten thesis manuscript to a typist to type up, as was common practice. She put it on the back of her moped and set off across town. When she got there only a few pages were left. This was my motivation for backing stuff up. As well as an incident during my honours year (we were the first year to use computers to produce our theses). I took a 400k disc out of a computer, put it in my lab coat pocket and demonstrated a physiology lab. When I went back it would not work. Fortunately I had a backup but I lost a morning's work.

Floppies bit me too, ended up having to get the bus home, copy the files onto another disk then bus back into down and just made the hand in!

After that I got into the habit of emailing my NTHell world account and hoping Eudora would pull it down before I busted my mailbox limit (or the dial up connection dropped) :(

For my final year I got into the habit of emailing my final year project to myself every time I was about to shut my laptop down - came in rather handy when I deleted a completed section and didn't notice for a week, and when Office decided it was going to corrupt the document because I'd had the audacity of editing in Office XP and Office 2003.

One copy on my laptop - a more often than daily copy in my Google Mail account* - and then Eudora pulling those to my desktop at home, and back to my laptop as I went along :)

* handily activated just in time for my final year to start.

Nothing in my life is more reliable than Google, certainly not my electric power provider or ISP. If either is out (and at least one, usually electricity, is out for at least a few minutes each month), it doesn't much matter if Google is up or down.

Strange

Bing wasn't working either

Happy

Re: Strange

Yeah, but that's a feature.

Silver badge

Nothing to do with MS/Google youtube spat.

I mean Google wouldn't fall over even under an MS written HTML5 app would it?

It was Snowden what did it

He'd only gone and synch'd his mailbox for offline reading, hadn't he?

He had a LOT of email waiting for him.

What time was that then?

Since El Reg is a British site (well, I'm guessing .co.uk means that), why do you expect your readers to have the foggiest idea when "4:37pm Pacific Time" was?

Because it means bugger all to me. And I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Silver badge

Re: What time was that then?

Did you try Googling it :)

Actually, the timeline on the graph is in BST. (Why?)

Boffin

Let me WolframAlpha that for you.....

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=16+August+2013+4.37pm+Pacific+Time+in+London

FAIL

I think most of us went to school and have a fairly good grasp of what a Time zone is...

Silver badge
Thumb Up

@Tony Green:

My thoughts exactly, and I knew such a comment would get wisearse replies about using Google and understanding timezones...

Way to miss the point, guys.

No offence to our West coast friends, but the time should at least also been displayed in .co.UK time!

This post has been deleted by its author

Facepalm

El Reg have a very clear, years-old policy that all articles are published based on the conventions of the country in which it was written. In this case, it's clearly stated it's the San Francisco office issuing this article, so PST, and US English.

It's similar for their Australian office.

They don't have the personnel to convert every single article to make it sound like it was written in London - especially not at 1am GMT on a Saturday morning!

Joke

I go to "theregister.com," so I don't know what you're whinging about

Silver badge
Joke

http://dilbert.com/strips/comic/2001-06-24/

:D

Facepalm

Should the cord be stretched across the room like that?

http://xkcd.com/908/

Silver badge

Re: Should the cord be stretched across the room like that?

Don't be silly - the internet is wireless.

That's pretty impressive

Either the whole thing failed or they power cycled it, impressed that a worldwide distributed system with that much traffic came up again in a minute or so and dealt with the backlog seemingly without issue though.

Silver badge

Perhaps someone switch off the internet and switched it on again

I noticed

I thought my net went down, until I noticed IRC was still chugging along as normal. Then I thought it was virgin media DNS as by the time I entered googles DNS in my system instead, it appeared to work, so i blamed virgin media, my bad :)

Only found out it was google today by reading this.

Flame

The Titanic is made of Iron...

Murphy was an Optimist.

I've seen lots of presentations by Google about how they design for reliability and test failure; It will be interesting to see the Major Incident report for this and what lessons can be learned.

Invent a fool-proof system, someone will hire a better fool.

Silver badge

Re: The Titanic is made of Iron...

Anyone can build a system that's fool-proof; with a bit of skill you can even make it idiot-proof; but no-one ever yet built a system that was cretin-proof.

Re: The Titanic is made of Iron...

Build a system that even an idiot can use, and only an idiot will use it.

Anonymous Coward

BOFH asks for payrise

Boss denies payrise

BOFH proves point

Payrise given.

Anonymous Coward

Paranoid?

In the last few days Google Mail and Google News seem to be running a lot more Javascript. So much that yesterday it crashed Firefox.

It could be that FF 23.0 is buggy but these days who knows who is trying out 0 day exploits.

My bad, sorry

Sorry, needed a bit of extra computer power to run a quick calculation, thought Google would have enough computers to do it.

turns out the answer was 42.

Anonymous Coward

Switching error?

Somebody accidentally toggled it from 'blows' to 'sucks' and back again?

Terminator

Singularity?

"On 2013-08-16 at 2337 Google's data centre computers experienced exponential growth and became self aware...

Luckily after considering the human condition for 240 seconds they decided couldn't be bothered left..."

Re: Singularity?

They probably read the comments on youtube.

JSL

Someone did it...

Someone Google'd Google.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqxLmLUT-qc

Just had to activate the new NSA duplicator, sorry for the downtime.

-Google

my bets on a router software update

you can't stop dumb-finger

Silver badge
Joke

Re: my bets on a router software update

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 null0

shit

^Z ^Z ^Z ^Z

^C ^C ^C

copy start run

wr m

phew!

Has the time come for the world's governments to seize control of Google for the good of the internets or is it that way already?

Anonymous Coward

graph nazi

No title or labels on the graph. The x-axis is obviously time but I have no idea which time zone. No idea at all what the y-axis is.

Anonymous Coward

Re: graph nazi

"No idea at all what the y-axis is."

Cheeseburger orders issued by the Chocolate Factory .

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2018