back to article Reg hack prepares to live off wondergloop Soylent

In the latest attempt by denizens of Silicon Valley to free themselves from the shackles of normal life, a startup has created a meal replacement substance named "Soylent", and this Reg hack is going to spend the next seven days trying to live entirely off the stuff. Soylent Corporation launched in May with a funding campaign …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Silver badge
Thumb Up

Re: New cocktail?

That might depend on his condition the following morning.

Mushroom

Make it with Gin.....

and call it "Sin". Looks and sounds bloody awful but for those who find eating a chore I'm sure it will be ideal. In fact it looks exactly like those diet shakes that various companies were flogging a few years back. If it tastes anything like them then eating your own sick is preferable,... and the after effects will turn you into a human hovercraft called Mr RumptyPumpty Bottyburp Fartypants. The icon is what happens when you walk past a naked flame.

Anonymous Coward

As somehow who spent 5 months on a VLCD (Very Low Calorie Diet) drinking nothing but water and eating nothing but meal replacement shakes and soups, which are pretty similar to this stuff, I can assure you it's perfectly possible to live without real food for extended periods. Not much fun, but doable.

My advice would be get yourself a really, really good food mixer, I went through a fair few before I found one that mixed the powder in a sensible amount of time and was rugged enough to survive so much use.

ACx

Soylent: Soon to be seen handed out job centers UK wide.

Silver badge
Stop

Potatoes & milk?

ISTR that it's possible to live indefinitely off potatoes and the occasional bit of milk - presumably that would be easier and cheaper to manage than this concoction?

Live? Exist.

Uncle Slacky, that can only be done with certain varieties of potatoes. Perhaps the most (in)famous of those is the Lumper, which for that very reason was widely grown for domestic consumption in Ireland in past centuries, and which was nearly wiped out by Phytophthora infestans in the 1840s. I think that a descendant of the Lumper is now being sold again in Northern Ireland.

Anonymous Coward

Try mixing it with Eat Water Slim Rice - 7.7Kcal per 100g - to make 'rice pudding'.

Wow, that seems like the holy grail of non-food. A thing you can eat that has bulk and fills you up but almost zero calories.

Though on further reading it's chewy and it smells bad...

Anonymous Coward

One amazon reviewer compared the texture to tape-worm segments.

Yummy.

Anonymous Coward

Are the photos in the article before or after pictures?

Boffin

Nutritional Vodka?

Didn't I once hear that the alcohol in vodka prevents the absorption of the nutrients in any accompanying liquid? I thought I was getting a decent dose of Vit-C until I heard that 12 years ago.

Re: Nutritional Vodka?

The alcohol in vodka is, well, alcohol (ethanol, ethyl hydroxide, call it what you will). It has quite an effect on various efficacies of food ingestion, usually negative. There's a lot of research about it.

The main problem is that alcoholics tend to neglect their actual food intake in favour of alcohol.

Making some bizarre alcoholic cocktail with this goop will reduce, but not remove, the amount of available useful nutrition.

Many alcoholic drinks are a little nutritious (beer, for example is, and has been called, liquid bread). Vodka, being distilled loses much of the other stuff that pops along in beer.

Silver badge

Re: Nutritional Vodka?

Beer as "liquid bread" was significantly lower in alcohol content than the stuff you buy in pubs - and a hell of a lot yeastier. I've drunk middle-ages recipe brews. Some could be regarded as "chewy"

The main reason for drinking beer was that it was safer than drinking water - people hadn't cottoned on to the fact that it was boiling the water which made beer safe.

Happy

Re: Nutritional Vodka? @YAC 12:15

"The main problem is that alcoholics tend to neglect their actual food intake in favour of alcohol."

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

"Many alcoholic drinks are a little nutritious" And don't forget the resveratrol in red wine. I'm sure that red wine should count as one of your five a day!

Silver badge

I've heard you can get your complete nutritional requirements

from 20 pints of Guinness and a glass of orange juice a day.

I think I'd prefer to try that and become a novelist and not a hack for the reg!

Silver badge

If it were green...

It woudl remind me of the scene in the Thomas Crowne Affair where Rene Russo pours a class of glop and drinks it after a trip across the pond.

Maybe it was the stuff, who knows.

As for "cooking" it, the stuff looks like pancake batter, so maybe it is salvageable after all. It probably does contain ingredients from my two favorite food groups: Sugar and Preservatives.

I hope that someone records the before and after weight to see if one can lose a few pounds.

Silver badge

Pancake?

What if you cut back the water, blend it until the proteins get sticky, mix in a bit of baking powder, and cook it in a skillet?

Anonymous Coward

"It leaves behind a thin, greasy residue that is cloying and caused us to swallow repeatedly."

A bit like the Obama administration's response to the NSA scandal, then.

Silver badge
Devil

That bag of Soylent makes me want to say.....

Edward G. Robinson, is that you?

Silver badge

It interests me a bit

Not to replace food, but to keep a few packs in the back of the cupboard for those days when I really just cannot be bothered.

But I'm not convinced my stomach can take it. But I'd give it a try.

Defication

The only thing that I am interested in about this product is what your stools look like after eating nothing but this stuff for say, a month.

If this product could assure me a perfectly double-tapered, golden brown shit every time on a clockwork schedule, then I would heartily partake. Otherwise, I just don't see the benefit.

Silver badge
Happy

Re: Defication

I imagine they would more likely resemble breezeblocks, and be more worthy of the name 'bench' than

'stool'

I can't see how this is any different from Nurishment or any other fortified protein shake type thingie. I've lived off nothing but Nurishment and redbull for a couple of days.

But 3L of that gloop? Noo thankyou. If they can get the volume down to 1L a day or even into pill form then it's worth considering, but as it is, you may as well have normal meals.

Anonymous Coward

Lol

On the flip side, apart from the smell it looks EXACTLY the same on the way out as when it went in.

I did read somewhere that the great apes eat their waste, in order to extract the maximum useful energy from the undigested plant matter.

Also if a way could be found to generate the protein, carbohydrates etc directly from available plant matter (cough hemp /cough) then it could go a long way towards one day colonising Mars etc.

Red Bull SO need to look into this, imagine that. "New, Soylent Bull. Now with 400% more roughage."

AC-DC x520

You have to mix it with clean water, you have to chill it

Sounds a lot like cooking to me. Well, food preparation at least. Would rather invest that time and effort into (beans/cheese/marmite) on toast, nature's true super foods.

As a sufferer of Crohns disease for the past 7 years..

I can quite honestly see this being useful for me - I quite often have periods where I am not quite having a flare-up, but could really do with 'resting' my digestive system - but those horrible complan / fortisip things are quite revolting after a few days. This would suit me perfectly as an alternative, being able to add my own flavouring to it.

Not sure I could live off the stuff permanently though....

Silver badge
Facepalm

Re: As a sufferer of Crohns disease for the past 7 years..

Yes. People who consider this a replacement to all food, all the time miss out on the true strength of it. Helping those that need it, and not those who think they do because it's a fad/cool. I still baulk at the internet a no matter how impossible/obscure/bizarre the idea, you'll get 100 people on Kick starter funding it as the "greatest most useful think ever". If someone posted a chocolate Kettle, the replies would be "it will solve world hunger" and "obviously it's to help global temperature trends". I don't know if I should laugh of cry...

" As Rob himself says, I may enjoy beer, but I don't want to drink it twenty-one times a week"

between this and the untested frying status of this gloop, it's clear their research team need to come to Scotland for a couple of months.

Anonymous Coward

Research?

Dear god, has anyone commenting (seriously) actually read into this at all?

It's not so much a food substitute as a diet free from the crap that our standard processed food contains.

I'm trying it because I'd like to see if it does anything about my lethargy and lack of brain power.

Anonymous Coward

Re: Research?

What? Wait? Huh? Did you just?

"a diet free from the crap that our standard processed food contains."

I have a one word reply to that, but I'll give 4 and take your pick:

Veg

Fruit

Staples

Meat

Anonymous Coward

Re: Research?

None of those 4 are processed food.

Re: Research? @AC 17:42

There's a depth of meaning in that last line!

Unhappy

bad eating. Its simple.

A Cheeseburger is 99¢ and a salad is $6.99 to $10 and they wonder why we are all fat.

Silver badge
Headmaster

Re: bad eating. Its simple.

A cheeseburger is addictive and a salad is not (one triggers our "I'm full" response in our biology, the other does not). They KNOW what they are doing.

Bronze badge

Student food.

Looks like a chewed pot noodle.

If you chew a PN before it's "cooked" it'd be a powder...

I guess this is what you get when beer meets funds.

WTF?

Mind Mash

Over 50 years ago our English teacher told us that reading science fiction would rot our minds. He was SO right. Whatever is in this crap can't be any cheaper or more healthy than, for example, rice and dhal, let alone egg and chips.

Devil

Get Sharty

I'd like to know the gauge of straw that it can exit through. (Purely for educational purposes)

Silver badge
IT Angle

I'm buying

1000 crates of this stuff, not to eat, but to sell to the survivors of the coming zombie apocalypse.

Silver badge

Re: I'm buying

To eat or throw at the hordes of the undead?

Anonymous Coward

Blatent Futurama reference

Bachelor Chow - now with added flavour!

Send a sample to the sheriff

I can see one potential group of large customers - Law enforcement. This can be used as another way to make life behind bars unpleasant so people don't want to go back. It has its advantages. It comes in powder form so you can store a lot of it in a small space. Also it won't quickly go off if you don't put it in the freezer. The people who mix it with water don't need to know how to cook anything. The cost of cooking (gas, maintaining the stove) can be avoided. Also there's no need for eating utensils that inmates can use to make weaons. Also there's a huge savings on dishwashing - fewer things to wash. I say the soylent people should send a sample to Maricopa County sheriff Joe Arpio with the reminder he can safely add green food dye to it.

Zot
Happy

Well I eat to live.

So I would resort to spooning the powder in my mouth, then drinking some water to swill it down - maybe jump up and down to mix it all up a bit! ; )

That way I can carry on with what I'm doing instead of wasting my life boiling things until they're soft or fry things until they're brown. Not to mention the bother of actually spending time eating something and then washing up those centuries old cutlery devices and plates.

Get with the times guys, beige goo is the way to goo!

Pint

Re: Well I eat to live.

Not to mention the utter time-wasting process of removing caps from beer bottles?

I'd prfer to waste the time.

WTF?

This stuff looks frightening.

The first thing that occurs to me is to try freezing the stuff into popsicles and having it as a frozen treat.

-Or freeze it into ice-cubes and use the ice-cubes to cool down other glasses of the stuff.

I guess a brave/foolhardy chef could also try baking it into a cake or bread or something.

Perhaps blending it with some actual fruit and/or milk as well.

-Just don't try to blend it with beef, bovril, tabasco and a brick. I don't foresee that ending well.

--Hilariously, but not well.

Perhaps boiling ramen noodles in the stuff.

-I don't imagine that would be very good, but as long as you're already engaging in ill-advised culinary and gastrointestional experimentation.

See if it can make imbibing Alka-Seltzer any less godawful.

Mix it with apple cider, if any can be located.

-Alternatively, forget this nonsense and just drink the apple cider, because apple cider is the stuff.

Chill it down thoroughly, mix it with Jello-O powder, custard and/or pudding, serve as a desert treat.

-Possibly with fish sticks, if you're feeling rather peculiar and/or Gallifreyan.

--Or chill it down that thoroughly, mixed with your choice of other powdered cooking ingredients and use it as dip for cookies.

Meal replacement

In what sense is this a "meal replacement"? Surely it is just a meal.

Costs too much

I wouldnt mind giving it a try but $65 for a weeks worth is Waaay too much.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2017