back to article Ten ancestors of the netbook

Come 2015, we’re told, the netbook will be dead and gone, out-evolved by the more fleet of foot, more desirable media tablet. We shouldn’t mourn the netbook’s passing, though. It has had, in one form or another, a good innings. While some folk may look back to the category’s debut in 2007 with the launch of Asus’ Eee PC 701 - …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. mickey mouse the fith

Re: Any HP 320LX love?

"Get yourself another one - they pop up on ebay fairly often."

I probably will at some point.

One thing puzzles me though, all the pictures i can find online of the HP 320LX show it having a green tinted lcd screen, im pretty sure mine had a paperwhite screen and indiglo blue backlight. I think it even boasted about the new, updated white screen on the box. I know it was the one that could be upgraded to the next version of wince via the included cd (the slightly cheaper version Dixons sold couldnt). Did I have a rarer updated unit, or is my memory just crap?

1. PdV
    Holmes

keyboard for me...

slabs are Perfect for reading + viewing.

For other WORK, I need a keyboard, and all sorts of connectivity (ssh!).

Netbooks were just the ticket, and some form of "laptop" will have to remain around for those of us who try to do real stuff beyond the read/view/twat/fazebook/managermail.

Maybe the popularity of slabs shows that most of those slab-touting trendfollowers only do "passive" tasks, if tasks they do at all...

2. welshie

HP Omnibook

No mention of the HP Omnibook 600C? This was a neat little machine that could run windows, and as a pointing device had a pop-out little mouse-on-a-stick thing that sprung out of the right hand side of the machine. Interesting form factor.

3. Herby

Yes, the Tandy (Radio Shack) M100

When it was introduced back in the day (1983 the Wikipedia article says) it was pretty advanced for its day. They were gobbled up by many a journalist simply because they had built in word processing software that allowed field journalists to write stories and (with the built in 300 baud modem) send them back to the home office.

In those days you didn't need much more than that to be a field journalist, so that is what you used. Sure you could write small basic programs, but it was the connectivity, built-ins, and portability that made it work.

Trivia: This was the last project that Bill Gates himself actually worked on.

Personal trivia: I still have one of these controlling my pool motors at my house. Amazing what you can do with a little bit of software.

4. John Moppett
    Unhappy

Another one missing

Is the IBM TP240. I have one of these and it is as portable as an EeePC, but could do everything that any W98 PC could!

5. John Fielder

Acer ZG5

Still got an ald Acer One, 120gb hard drive version. Only just been replaced by a Surface. Quite liked Ubuntu on it, currently running 13.04 happily.

6. Adam Hammerton
    Facepalm

Sigh!

Quote - "EPOC, of course, would go on to become the foundation for Symbian OS, now owned by Nokia and relegated to its feature phones."

Due to the very best efforts of Nokia (read Elop), Symbian is very nearly, although thankfully not quite, dead. When the time for the final obituary does actually come can El Reg please make sure that someone who actually knows what Symbian is/was (hell, maybe even someone who actually uses it) is involved.

For hopefully the last time :- SYMBIAN IS A SMARTPHONE OS! and is NOT used in Nokia feature phones. S60/Anna/Belle (Symbian) ARE NOT S40 (featurephone OS)!!!

1. Dave 15

Re: Sigh!

Sent that info as a correction, a polite note back apparently the cock up is fixed

The BBC are not immune either their stupid cretinous reporters also had the latest nokia s40 as a symbian device and needed correcting.

Would love to know the not quite dead bit... no development at nokia due to stupid elop but is there something going on outside? I had a request for some info on symbian - the sort of technical stuff that implied someone was going to use it again... I'd be happy, very happy to see that. Compared to these hellish variants on the desk top windows and desk top unix os's symbian was really epoc32 which was properly designed ground up for smallish embedded devices (not so small as nucleus etc but at least not desk top sizes and powers).

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'll be so sad when my netbook dies

Samsung N140 here, nice matte screen, keyboard perfectly type-able, reasonable battery life, got it running Linux Mint for carefree web use without concern about catching anything, my perfect companion for evening use in the armchair or a little reading at night in bed to tire myself out before dozing off. Yeah, and that :)

I'm not a passive web user. I type a lot. A tablet just wouldn't cut it for me. A laptop would be annoyingly large compared to this.

When this darling Samsung dies I'll be really annoyed if I can't find something similar to replace it. I can't believe there isn't enough demand for at last a couple of manufacturers to still compete in some residual market.

8. Irongut

Apple eMate 300

Wow what an ugly piece of crap that was.

9. Dazed and Bemused

NEC MobilePro

Having owned various flavours of Jornada (820, 680, 720, 728) and an EEE 701 all of which I liked, I still think my favourite mini-notebook type device was the NEC Mobilepro 900C - it managed the to marry the "quite small" and "usable keyboard" aspects with more success than anything else I've used.

10. Jim Wilkinson
    Pint

Maybe not netbooks but...

Just dug under the office desk and found - Psion 5, Psion Revo, Sony Clie NX70 & Clie TH55. All used as 'netbooks' to keep information and make notes at meetings, diaries etc.

Best of these IMO was the Psion Revo (Plus) with a usable keyboard, clear screen a menu bar for the apps and a neat clamshell design. Pity it didn't catch on. But it was a good tool at the time and way better than lugging round a large and ugly laptop running MS-DOS.

11. Bruce Woolman
    Linux

My EEEPC 900 lives in the kitchen

There, hooked to a pair of ten-dollar speakers, it serves as a wi fi appliance to stream radio. It is also the only computer I take on holiday these days. This because it has solid state storage. I can, and do, sometimes bung it into the checked baggage to simplify security checks. I upgraded the ssd, which was dead slow, and it dual boots XP and Linux mint. Both run with enough speed for a normal experience. Not true with the original ssd hardware, which was almost unusable. I tried traveling a few times with the old Samsung Slab, but found it to be inadequate. So the cheap little Asus joined me again. It fits into an important niche a tablet or a smartphone just does not fill comfortably. IMHO there will always be a market for a relatively small, inexpensive sturdy notebook. The history outlined in this well-researched article demonstrated that fairly clearly.

12. Trygve Henriksen

Got 9(8) out of 10...

Don't have the second on the list, and my Psion MC is the 400, not the 200.

My Toshiba has a dud screen or driver(stripy display), but otherwise they all work.

My Eee701 runs eCs, barely.

The MC400 is a good all-day word processor.

(Nothing comes close to the battery life of a MC400 loaded with 8 x AA alkalines)

Great keyboard, too.

What about the Olivetti Quaderno PT-XT-20 ?

13. solaries
    Thumb Down

Netbooks

This brings up the problem of e-readers how long before plan obsolence will put Kindle and Nook out of business. The book as we know it has been around since the 4 th century ACE how lomg will the e-book last. That is the question.

1. jake Silver badge

Re: Netbooks

e-books were around long before ifad, kindle & nook. See:

gutenberg.org

I've been contributing on & off since the early 1970s.

14. lapogus

eh, where's the Casio Fiva?

15. Christian Berger

Why doesn't that work any more?

I mean seriously, back then they could knock together devices which ran PC "operating systems" which weren't even designed to save power, but still ran for weeks on 2 AA batteries. And all of that was done with, by today's standards, trivial technology, which is far less energy efficient than anything we have today.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

TEN ANCESTORS OF THE NETBOOK - Apple eMate

regarding the Apple eMate, I seem to remember reading somewhere that Apple was working closely with or funded UK inventor of the windup powered radio, Trevor Baylis, with a view to using this technology in low powered devices. Not fruitful I guess as we are yet to see such a device. Perhaps the iWatch.

17. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Wot? No PC110?

Nice to see the Libretto mentioned, but no IBM PC110?

Similarly, this was a Japanese only item. With the footprint of a floppy disk it was a handheld but ran DOS and Windows as it was a proper x86 PC.

They go for crazy money on eBay these days.

My old Toshiba T2130CT sits between netbook and notebook size.

18. Dr_N

Psion

I've said it before:

With all the technologically advancements since the Psion 5 & 7/netBook came out it's amazing that no one produces a product that even comes near them. Where's my keyboarded 3G enabled touch device with fully integrated apps that doesn't need to be booted or charged up every 2-3 days?

PS You've missed the Epson PX-8 from the list. A cracking 1st gen "netbook" .

19. stu 4

Good article - and an excuse to post my PDA cabinet again

clue - at least 3 in this list are in there.

http://powerlord.smugmug.com/Gadgets/PDA-cabinet/

stu

20. BigTim

LG Phenom

Missed out the LG phenom and the cadre of Windows CE machines!

I had a phenom in 1998/99 and amazed colleagues that I could connect to the net over IrDA to my nokia 6510 and download content at a blistering 14,400 baud (I think data was a flat £5/month unlimited at the time).

The touchscreen and built in word, excel etc were actaully pretty useful for working on short docs on the train and the outlook client was.. OK. IE was fine for basic sites.

It now lives in my son's toy box and though it doesn't switch on anymore the casing has survided many a fall down the stairs.

21. Hardwareguy

TRS-80 ?.

What about the old Tandy TRS-80 from 1980. I had one of these in secondary school.

http://oldcomputers.net/trs80pc1.html

1. Trygve Henriksen

Re: TRS-80 ?.

The TRS-80 Model 100 wasn't a netbook, it was a Laptop/noteBook precursor.

22. David Gillett

A couple of years ago, at a conference, I was sitting next to a friend -- she was using her iPad2 and I my netbook. Someone walked up and asked us how the two devices compared. "There's no comparison." said my friend. I added "You're right -- I've got a real keyboard abd an SD slot." She showed me the third-party Bluetooth keyboard tucked under her tablet. I only learned later that her device cost twice as much as mine; I later spent a pittance to upgrade its hard drive to 750GB, on which I dual-boot between Win7 and Ubuntu Linux.

In 2010, I flew to San Diego for a three-week session at UCSD. I wanted to take at least two full-size laptops, but by taking only my netbook, I was able to fly comfortably with limited luggage. I was not at all certain that it would be adequate, but in fact that netbook met all of my computing needs for those three weeks, except that I had to ask a friend to copy a driver CD-ROM to a USB flash drive for me. I was surprised and impressed....

23. Dick Kennedy

Quaderno - good for two weeks

I was at the Quaderno launch in Italy and got given one of the machines. Loved it and used it extensively until, inevitably (given that it was Italian), it broke. That was a fun two weeks. I didn't know a single journo from that launch whose Quaderno didn't break. In some cases, they found the machines broken by the time they got back from Italy. The screen had a very thin glass covering that would crack if there was a light breeze, or an 'R' in the month. Otherwise a fine attempt.

24. Henry Wertz 1 Gold badge

Microsoft destroyed the netbook

"I think that the problem with Netbooks is that the vociferous naysayers were exposed to the early tiny screen Linux models and found them wanting and have slagged off Netbooks ever since. If they'd tried the much better later models they'd have a different opinion. But then again, the anti-MS brigade never got over the fact that most people wanted to ditch Linux and have something that could run Windows."

What *I* didn't get over was that Microsoft destroyed the netbook. A netbook that has a faster CPU, more RAM, more hard disk sapce, and a large screen, plus cash sent straight to Microsoft, so it's like double the cost? That is not a netbook any longer, that is a low end notebook computer, which had already been on the market for years and were uninteresting despite them referring to these still as netbooks. Then, these still proved barely adequate to run WIndows 7 due to it's bloat (while they ran Linux fine.) So they put even MORE CPU power, more RAM, more hard disk space, and yet more cost. Yeah.

I'm waiting to see the actual specs on these supposed $200 Android thingies -- if I can get Android the hell off and normal Linux the hell on, these should work a treat (although I'd prefer an ARM model to an Atom one I think.)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Microsoft destroyed the netbook

>>I'm waiting to see the actual specs on these supposed $200 Android thingies -- if I can get Android the hell off and normal Linux the hell on, these should work a treat (although I'd prefer an ARM model to an Atom one I think.)

And the technology hipster post of the year goes to....

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like