back to article Reg hack to starve on £1 a day for science

As of next Monday, this hack will live for five days with just £1 a day to spend on food, having rather recklessly signed up for the "Live Below the Line" challenge. Inspired by the news that Ben Affleck will starve himself for charity - and also we presume in penance for his part in cinematic outrage Pearl Harbor - I decided …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Silver badge
Meh

Good luck

Been there done that.

You're going to need it.

Anonymous Coward

£5 a week? Easy!

ASDA smartprice long grain rice - 1 x 1Kg @ 40p each: 40p (one cup rice, 2 cups H2O, microwave 15min30s)

ASDA smartprice mixed veg - 1 x 1Kg @ 75p each: 75p (simmer & blend for soup, grill, stir-fry or steam)

ASDA smartprice cooking bacon - 1 x 500g @ 81p each: 81p (stir-fry and add to veg, or chop and add to soup)

Kingsmill 50/50 Pitta Pockets - 1 x 8pk @ 50p each: 50p (stuff with stir-fry bacon plus salad)

ASDA Smartprice Seasonal Salad - 1 x 180g each: 44p (use in pitta pockets or as desired)

H & P Bakers Sultana Scones - 1 x 10pk @ 60p each: 60p (for breakfast or snack)

ASDA Lime cordial with sugar & sweetners - 1 @ 58p: 58p (to put some taste into that tap water)

ASDA Smartprice Variety Pack Crisps - 12pk @ 68p: 68p (because everyone needs a snack!)

ASDA loose bananas @ 68p/Kg : 24p (you'll get 2 or 3 maybe)

Fresh meat? Check!

Carbs? 2 types - Check!

Veg? Fresh and frozen - Check!

Fruit? a bit, but Check!

Snacks? Check!

Something to drink? Check!

Tough times call for tough measures!

Silver badge

This is a flawed test

Kudos to you for trying; however a reasonably well nourished person can make it a week on penny bread, beans, and all the bargain bucket foods.

If you really want a test for science, do it for a month. You'll start noticing the difference after 2-3 weeks (depending on your build) and a week later you'll feel sluggish and it just doesn't improve as you start to realise just how crap the quality of the food if you think you can live on a pound a day. I would change the world "live" to "survive".

Re: This is a flawed test

In punkier times, it was somehow possible to live on brown rice with marmite, and wholemeal chapatis. Frequently, for weeks or months at a time.. Fruit and veg scavenging on the bigger markets added a bit of much needed variety. A veggie diet is unlikely to break anyone's bank, unless they're into overpriced fad foods from exotic places.

Silver badge

Good publicity, but a little unrealistic

I've seen a few web pages on this theme, and the recipes can look rather good. But I'm not sure the pricing is realistic. Price an egg according to the cheapest supermarket price for a box of 30. Have a recipe with component prices taken from four different supermarkets.

How long before all this feeds into the shirking benefit skivers meme that plagues the press in the UK?

Because of pack sizes, food storage, and transport costs, this can become an intellectual challenge rather than any practical assessment. And I recall that J. Hickory Wood made comedy out of the idea, over a century ago, with an account of how a young man may live in London on a minimal budget.

Bronze badge

do it all the time. if you have a £5 note, then its just a bag of potatoes £2.30, a 1kg bag of mixed veg £1.50, and 4 birds eye chicken fillets/steaks £1 in morrisons, if you get a small bag of veg, you can probably get some beef and onion gravy for 60p at morrisons

is all you need to vitamins, or after a few days if you have a life, you will just get psychosis

you do not need breakfast and tea time, and all the other pompus meals most posts in here cannot live without

just the urban pie a day http://s23.postimg.org/3nqd7kh4r/80433_URBAN_PIE.jpg

You just buy milk. You will still get more nutrition than people in poor countries. It is a futile exercise.

Garden...

I tend to enjoy growing veg in the garden (the stranger stuff, like purple podded peas, white/purple carrots, many colours of tomato and so on; the stuff you don't often see in a shop).. Would that count against the £1 a week?

(Written by Reg staff) Gold badge

Re: Garden...

Apparently you have to offset the cost of growing your own against the budget.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2018