back to article Google Glass will SELF-DESTRUCT if flogged on eBay

Buyers of Google Glass have been warned they cannot sell their pricey new techno-spectacles on eBay or anywhere else. In terms of sale posted on its website, the advertising giant said a Google Glass was for life, unless you wanted to give it away for nothing. Anyone who failed to follow the rules will have their devices …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

Re: Am I the only one that thinks this is good?

Let me guess, You work for Google?

Why? It's a perfectly valid comment. It's what I assumed, that the $1,500 prototypes are supposed to be for developers, and they want feedback and apps written. Remember people were actually selling invites to Google+ on eBay, when it was invite only. Bizarre, but apparently true. Sorry, I should say offering. I hope no-one was mad enough to pay.

This is common with tech now. Scalpers make cash on getting iPhones into China, before Apple release them there. The same happened with the original Raspberry Pi's. Google would like to try to stop it, which is fair enough.

Obviously I'll have to eat my words if this is Google long-term policy. But as it's almost certainly illegal, I rather doubt that. This being a developer program, I'd imagine consumer law doesn't apply.

Oh, and downvoted for being childish and accusing someone of being a shill. Which is my pet hate.

1. aaronj2906_01

Re: Am I the only one that thinks this is good?

"Once the first few batches have been sold and supply is ramped up, this restriction will probably be destroyed and you can flog your glasses to whomever you desire."

You put a lot of faith into a company that has an explicit purpose of being an AD company to make profits. Not calling you dumb or bad... but I would hold off on holding any company in good light automatically.

My two cents (not worth a dime), Google is not into philanthropy, and should be considered that way.

1. Gordon Pryra

Worthless Small Print

Google's guidelines have been talked about a lot lately. Like where their webmasters guidelines are more stringent than the legal requirements. This is fine where applied to inclusion on their systems.

BUT

Their small print does not carry more weight than a country's laws, no matter what they command you to do It's your property, and If it requires access to Google wallet, and Google wallet is not a subscription based service, then you are free to do whatever you want with the item.

While they will deactivate the item, you will then just lodge a complaint with the small claims court (in the UK anyway) who will then give Google the choice of defending themselves. When they fail to file paperwork on time (obviously they don't want to risk actually going to court) the court will rule in your favor, at which point they will instruct Google to refund the cash it cost you.

1. JDX Gold badge

Re: Worthless Small Print

They can say the device is registered you your id and therefore deactivate it once it's not used by you. Then they would be pressurised to let you re-activate them against a new account.

2. paulll

Re: Worthless Small Print

"Their small print does not carry more weight than a country's laws,"

Quite true. I can't remember though, which Act explicitly requires that, "A vendor of a physical artefact must transfer subscription to any attendant services on sale of said artefact by consumer." Can you remind me please?

2. SuperTim

Simple workaround.

For sale: Google Glass charger. $1500. Includes free pair of Google glasses as a gift*

(worked when I sold London 2012 tickets i didn't want that happened to have accompanying merchandise with them).

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'm waiting for the inevitable "Glasshole punched really hard in the face for ... being a glasshole" story.

1. Mike Smith
      Pint

Glasshole?

Now that's a neologism that needs to be spread far and wide!

Have a beer for that one :-)

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Glasshole?

It's not new. It's even in the dictionary -> http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Glasshole

4. Charles-A Rovira
    Meh

It might not stand up to a constitutional chalenge,

but it probably doesn't have to for very long.

Glass is a "walled garden" developers can build apps in, just like the iPhone and iPad are. The Android marketplace is simply a far too undisciplined Wild West bunch of developers.

I fully expect that the WiFi, BlueTooth tethers that will be built into Glass will interoperate with the sizable (multi-million unit) iPhone and iPad markets once Google works out the bugs..

Google did NOT get to its position in search and in telephony by leaving money on the table.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Video conferencing?

What the hell are people video conferencing a Google Glass wearer going to see? An eyeball? It'll be like conferencing Sauron!

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. BigGreenThumb

Re: Video conferencing?

Your's was the best post of all. An eyeball? It'll be like conferencing Sauron! too funny

3. Tim Jenkins

Due to circumstances beyond our control, unforeseen technical difficulties with the Ithil and Anor segments of the Palantír (TM) network have left our Orthanc node with reduced functionality. There is no confirmed date within the current Age for resolution. Please refer to Avallónë technical support for further information. (N.B. owing to its uncertain geographical location, calls to Tol Eressëa may billed at premium rate)

4. jason 7
      Joke

You buy the Google Face Mirror accessory I guess?

1. Miek
        Linux

The camera is front-facing, who would actually want to see the Glasshole instead of the pretentious 'scene' that they wish to share with you ?

5. TeeCee Gold badge
      Coffee/keyboard

<Insane giggling>

+1 Internets to you Mr/Mrs/Miss/Ms Coward.

6. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Perhaps I want people to think I'm Sauron. It would help with getting the Council to do something about the pavement parkers.

7. spold Silver badge
      FAIL

Ah you will need the video conferencing add-on - think head band with a bent coat hanger stickiing out front and a mirror dangling off the end....

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Equal footing please

Dear CWFDNE.

You can have my money, but if I don't like what you do with it, I can have it back.

So there.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

That explains why they seem to be US limited for the moment - such a restriction would be illegal in most of the rest of the world.

8. Number 8

This all sounds very familiar.

"resistance is futile"

9. James Charlton
    Facepalm

Locked up

Google have this locked up in the wordings. If you buy teh device and use it then you cannot sell it on. Ifyou buy it as a gift you cannot use it before you would give it to that person. The device can only ever have one owner from new. Unless authorised by Google. So selling USB cable with with free google glasses doesnt work either as it will already be registere. Yes this is wrong and I do not agree with it hence not buying one ever unless they change this. Plus you can only own one device ???

10. alain williams Silver badge

How long before they are rooted ?

Once you can do that you can do what you want to it; doesn't matter what google try to do with it.

If you have rooted it (and it talks to non google servers) and google tries to disable it -then surely they are trying to damage your property and could be prosecuted.

11. Arly

Good luck to Google

For those of you who have purchased a Google Glass don't fret. The product transfer restrictions that Google is attempting to enforce violates the well-established "First Sale Doctrine" and are uninforceable under established U.S. patent, trademark and copyright law. Google has just invited a class suit which will likely cost them more damages than any profits they might make selling the product. My recommendation to Google is to fire your corporate ambulance chasers and hire some real attorneys who are familiar with U.S. intellectual property laws.

12. macnay

GMAIL

There was this type of hype when Google launched GMAIL, people were selling GMAIL invites on eBay in the same manner of hype. It's predictable.

13. Svarog
    Black Helicopters

Let's NOT buy the google glass

If Apple was selling thousands of phones a week (like some other manufacturers) they wouldn't be such apple-holes. I won't buy a product in the first place as I didn't buy iPhone (I waited to get a good unclocked android when android became a solid product - v4 = ICS). So wait untill Baidy glass or something else comes along without the restrictions. I'm European but I like the american moto of vote with your wallet. Well, vote with your wallet, don't buy this product and you'll see how google will change their mind. One of the reason of high price of apple products is the second hand market. If you can't sell your iPhone 4 for a good price you won't be buying the 5.

1. kyza

Re: Let's NOT buy the google glass

Since you're not one of the 1500 Americans who've bought the Explorer, V1.0 of this product none of this need concern you. You can't buy one yet, and there's nothing to indicate these would be standard TOS for a commercially available product.

As someone said above, I also suspect that this is a being done to both limit the prospective secondary market one what was a raffled product and that for a full commercial release reselling would be permitted.

2. opaque

Re: Let's NOT buy the google glass

Thousands?

Try millions

http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2013/04/07/apple-iphone-analysts-estimates/

14. Pat 4

I have to wonder if that's even legal!

You can't legally limit what people do with their own private property. (within the bounds of law... obviously)

15. Ikoth

Apple

I'll wait for the Apple version thanks.

They won't be as authoritarian or draconian as...... Oh wait.....!

16. Greasemonkey
    Flame

Bloody Advert!

There's a bloody advert in the top right hand corner which obscures the article text down that side. It won't go away & can't be closed. If this is what the Reg is heading for, I'll be off!

1. Crisp

Re: Bloody Advert!

Have you heard of AdBlock?

1. JDX Gold badge

Have you heard of the idea that adverts make money for sites?

1. MrXavia
          Thumb Up

Re: Bloody Advert! @JDX

Yup! that is why I don't use ad blockers, but I do block third party cookies, if I click on a link, it will take me to the site with a tracking token,the site gets paid, and I don't get annoying ads for things I've already brought!

2. Crisp

I only block the badly designed intrusive ads.

I still read the product reviews.

3. A J Stiles
          Thumb Down

I have, but here's the thing: I don't care. It's *my* screen, and *I* will decide what I get to see on it.

In fact, if I've blocked an advert for your company, that actually means I'm more likely to buy from you, since I tend to avoid companies who advertise to me on general principle.

4. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

@JDX "Have you heard of the idea that adverts make money for sites?"

Says the man who obviously has never fast forwarded, changed channel, turned the volume down, gone to make a cup of tea/coffee or otherwise made a conscious decision to not have to sit through adverts when watching a tv programme - because that would make you a hypocrite wouldn't it - due to the fact that "haven't you heard of the idea that adverts make money for tv stations?"

So I'll give you the benefit of doubt and assume you are not a hypocrite, and therefore you may feel entitled to moralise and tell other people what they should be doing (this is still debatable) - but can I add that I'd hate to watch TV round your house.

17. John Lilburne

Who gives a shit ...

... about something one isn't going to spend money on anyway.

18. chart2006

This draconian requirement by Google may just be for the test version of the glasses as I don't see this continuing once the official consumer version is released. I look at it as a way for Google to shore up the distribution of the developer version to prevent consumers from obtaining them. This isn't all that bad of an idea because developer versions tend to be unstable and Google doesn't want to provide much support to the device when in the hands of someone who has no patience or knowledge of how to troubleshoot. I would do the same thing but again for the consumer version that would change.

In all honesty though I wouldn't want this as I already have a cell phone but I would love a pair of glasses that can connect and project my home screen to my eye. The idea would be similar to plugging your phone into an HDTV only wirelessly and in real-time. I would like to keep my phone in my pocket and make all commands from my glasses. The reason for syncing is because I may not always want to use my glasses whenever I want to make a phone call or play a game or other things.

19. Christian Berger

Yet again, that's why we need free software

It's a logical consequence of what happens if you don't have free software. Android may be open source, but it's just to hard to get your own image onto a device to really make it free.

As long as we don't recognize our natural right for free (as in speech) software and hardware, companies will continue to bully us around just like Google does in this example.

It's even more extreme when you look at the device itself. Those are machines that can see and hear everything you do. They can collect data on everything you do, and they have to in order to provide useful service to you.

The German constitutional court recently has derived a new right for the "integrity of data processing systems" in wake of the use of trojans to spy on people. They rightfully concluded that if they would allow them now, it would be possible to buy future devices like hearing aids or implants.

We need actually free software now for those devices, not just some open source code lying around on some server. People must be able to change the code and service any way they want or choose between a number of different versions provided by different people. If we don't do that now we will end up in a dystopian future.

1. JDX Gold badge

our natural right for free (as in speech) software

Americans haven't even decided healthcare is a natural right, most of the world doesn't consider a roof over your head a natural right, and you think "free software" is a "natural right"?

Maybe those with no healthcare and nowhere to live could do with some of what you're on.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: our natural right for free (as in speech) software

> Americans haven't even decided healthcare is a natural right,

Depends what you mean by a natural right.

One definition, which I probably prefer, is that you should be able to get on with what you want as long as it doesn't affect others negatively (however you might define that). Anything else, which involves the necessary input of others (like healthcare, social security) is probably excluded on that basis because it necessarily involves affecting the freedom of others.

Despite that, any country that puts defence (insurance against a possible aggressor) miles ahead of healthcare (something that everyone will need at some point in their life) really needs a reality check.

That the most powerful western nation (at the moment) doesn't have the best healthcare available to all Americans as a social service is just bizarre.

And for those that say it's about choice and freedom, well you can't choose your police service, your fire service or your army so the concept is not exactly a new one is it?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Yet again, that's why we need free software @Christian Berger

It's worse than that dude. Let's start with not making code illegal because it can be used to circumvent security controls. That is the courts fault. (WRT some countries like Germany) The people's fault is being idiots and allowing fuckwits to control them because they are too lazy to think for themselves. (WRT to the military/industrial complex, TV, politicians who pass stupid software patent laws, inhumane rabid tech fans, the self-destructing, non-human entities, etc. See what I did there... o))

20. Mystic Megabyte
    Meh

Would you accept one as a gift?

Personally I would not. Please use the up/down buttons to vote, Up for Yes, Down for No

21. graeme leggett Silver badge

Why "sell" in the first place

Just make it a indefinite rental period, and all those lovely restrictions become enforceable.

Though I bet even with the restrictions on selling in place, someone will try and sell one, and someone will buy it - if the price is right.

1. Arly

Re: Why "sell" in the first place

FYI, in the mid-1990's many of the fledgling software companies tried to circumvent U.S. law and the "First Sale Doctrine" by characterizing a consumer software product sale as a lease,a restricted license, or a restricted "rental". This attempt failed since these transactions had all the characteristics of an actual sale. These so-called "licenses" were called "shrink-wrap licenses" which referred to software licenses where the terms of the license were concealed from the purchaser until the the shrink-wrap packaging was removed and the box was opened. The majority of U.S. state laws found these types of licenses to be invalid and unenforceable. The software companies tried to circumvent state law by lobbying for federal legislation to permit such licenses but this effort failed due consumer opposition and U.S. legal precedent of the Uniform Commercial Code and the "First Sale Doctrine" which forbids restrictions on post-sale product transfers whether software or hardware

22. Miek
    Linux

I guess that, even after you've purchased the device, it actually still belongs to Google. I would have thought that such terms are unenforceable in the UK.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

It probably is in the US as well, since they have a similar "First Sale Doctrine" which limits the seller's influence after the sale.

23. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Self-destructing video glasses?

Good morning, Ethan!

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.