back to article Windows Phone 8 support to end in 2014

If you're shopping for a new mobe on a two year contract and like the look of a Windows Phone, chances are you'll be compelled to undergo an OS upgrade or face using a handset that's not supported by the end of your deal. The Reg offers this advice with a tip of the hat to Italian site Plaffo, which pointed out a Microsoft …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Magnus_Pym

Surely it would be better...

... to announce the new OS before announcing the death of the old one?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Perhaps more importantly

If your phone works and doesn't have any crippling bugs why on earth do you need 'support'?

Personally I like to buy stuff that works out of the box and does what it says on the tin! Sure I expect a few flaws to be fixed ... but I also expect that such stuff should only take a couple years max to sort out.

The truth of the matter is that if you bought a phone two years ago, it's hardware is out of date and incapable of 'being the same as a new phone', accept that fact because it isn't going to change any time soon.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Perhaps more importantly

Really? You can't see how an internet connected device doesn't need to be updated/have security holes filled?

3. RyokuMas
    FAIL

Here we go again...

Way to undermine your developers, Microsoft. Having spent months in uncertainty regarding the future of XNA and just about settled into Monogame (or other alternatives), we're now told that WP8 support will end in less than 18 months, with no word of what it's successor will be (if any), much less whether we will have to go through the same saga again of whether or not we will need to start over with our game code.

I'm beginning to get the feeling that the last couple of months I spent working on Android to get used to Monogame (in advance of setting up for WP8) might be time well spent!

4. Spoddyhalfwit

I expect to get swathes of downvotes from the fanboys but here goes.

The fact is that Windows Mobile was crap and bombed. But Windows Phone is actually rather good. Its innovative too, it hasn't just tried to provide a cheap Apple knock off.

Note: I'm not saying Android or iPhone is rubbish, so don't start a tantrum.

I've resisted having a smart phone for years (though had iPod Touch and iPad2), but liked the Lumia enough to take the plunge. I'm not disappointed with it. Few things they need to add, like VPN support in particular.

Microsoft aren't going to bin it, certainly not yet. They might not be shifting as many as Apple or Android (and perhaps never will) but they are shifting way more than they did with their older phone software.

As a developer I'd much rather them switch to a model of regular upgrades and cutting support for old versions than have the situation we do with XP where we're still having to ensure compatibility in our software for IE6&7. And despite the reg article, it looks pretty much like this is what is happening, with other sites already reporting on WP8.5 development.

Why do people get so uptight about their favoured OS that they want others to be denied choice? I really don't get it, its all a bit primary school, which reminds me - down vote away.

1. RyokuMas
      Coat

I'm all for choice...

But I'd rather not spend 6 months having to learn a new framework and rebuild my libraries to be able to develop on the new version, only to find that in another year or so, I've got to do it again because the version I've written on will no longer be supported.

2. Michael Habel
      Stop

This smells of massive Copy Pasta!

5. Tom 35

So what will happen to...

The "your phone, tablet and computer all running the same UI".

How long before they all drift apart?

6. IGnatius T Foobar

support costs

It's pretty simple. Why should they spend all of that money keeping Windows Phone 8 supported and upgraded when it's cheaper to simply pay for phone upgrades to both of the people who bought a WP8 device?

7. The_Regulator
    Mushroom

MS Stated WP8 Handsets Upgradeable to WP9 (or whatever it is titled)

Reg writers seem to be about as trustworthy as a middle eastern dictator on a bender.....just because WP8's lifecycle ends (as do all major phone os revisions) does not mean they just say screw you now your on your own.

WP8 users will upgrade to the next revision and continue to receive support from there.

The amount of drivvel and rhetoric coming from this site is incredible, who the hell pays your salaries, you should be fired for writing garbage like this.

1. RyokuMas
      Stop

Re: MS Stated WP8 Handsets Upgradeable to WP9 (or whatever it is titled)

Link?

Until I see an official statement from Microsoft saying "Yes, there will be a WinPhone 9 (or 8.n, or whatever they want to call it), yes, it will run on existing WP8 handsets and yes, all your current development tools will continue to work", I'm sticking to the cynical side of the fence.

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me, and all that...

8. Levente Szileszky
    Go

It is HILARIOUS...

...seriously, I have reached the point that I am having crazy fun every time when I read the next retarded, idiotic, counter-productive crap like this from the utterly broken, clueless Ballmerian megacorp. It is really the beginning of the end, unfolding live, in slo-mo... I BET they will screw up the next Xbox - anyone dare to counter my bet? =)

9. dervheid
    Meh

A turd

is just a turd, regardless of what other name you give it.

10. Ron Christian

not just the OS, perhaps the apps as well

As many have pointed out, Windows phone users have already been orphaned twice -- Mobile 6 -> Phone 7 -> Phone 8. Phone 9 (or whatever) will most likely need new hardware to run, but will they even retain the API and GUI from Phone 8, or will this be yet another complete departure? As I see it, MSFT is between rock and hard place. If they merely do an incremental upgrade on WP8, they risk furthering the mistake of going to it in the first place. But if they radically depart yet again, they risk losing whatever customer and developer base they still have.

I'm basing this on absolutely nothing, but I envision MSFT engineers coming out with something extremely usable, which management will reject in favor of doubling down on some new funky interface for the sake of differentiation in the marketplace, requiring people to buy yet another device for the questionable experience. And few will.

11. Someone Else Silver badge
    Coat

Marketdroid drivel

It's also notifying the world of its intentions with admirably ample amounts of time to prepare for the upgrade.

...whether you want to, or not.

There fixed it for ya....

12. mickey mouse the fith

Chill out

Even if your phone doesnt get an os upgrade, it will still work until a component fails, and im sure gsm/3g is going to be around for quite a while yet. Your handset isnt going to suddenly stop working just because its not being updated anymore.

13. Stuart Castle Silver badge

Backwards Compatibility..

"Microsoft's history is one of remarkable consistency when it comes to backwards-compatibility. It's very hard to imagine it would step away from that policy on mobile phones"

True up until Windows phone 7 and 8. 7 wasn't compatible with previous versions of Windows CE/Windows Mobile and Windows Phone 8 is not compatible with 7 either.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like