back to article Anonymous hacks Westboro Baptists over Sandy Hook protests

Anonymous has posted personal data of many members of the Westboro Baptist Church and is promising to shut down the religious sect after it announced plans to protest the funerals of those killed at Sandy Hook Elementary School last week. "We have unanimously deemed your organization to be harmful to the population of the USA …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Trollface

Couldn't happen to a nicer bunch of people.

I mean, what can you say about a bunch of people whom even the KKK brands as, and I quote... "Hatemongers". There aren't enough spoons in the world for this amount of irony.

Re: Couldn't happen to a nicer bunch of people.

You know something is bad when the KKK come out and act like the good guys.

Silver badge

Re: Couldn't happen to a nicer bunch of people.

Wasn't there a case a few years back when the KKK got permission to stage a demonstration march, but near to the time decided to cancel it? The cops had prepared to police the event, and when the KKK called it off, the cops decided to sue them for the cost of their unnecessary preparation: The KKK were sued for NOT putting on racist march!

(I know this because it formed part of my post-doctorate in "What some bloke told me down the pub", so please correct me if wrong)

Bronze badge
WTF?

Ignore them...

Anonymous might be able to shut down WBC's servers for a while, but they won't succeed at stopping their protests.

Given that WBC ignore rational argument (obviously there is no connection between homosexuality and the murder of innocent children), a better strategy might be for everyone to just ignore them. Just blank them at their protests, give them no media attention, don't sue them and eventually they may give up. This is the strategy that was adopted by the media after several terrorist groups in Iraq captured Westerners and threatened to behead them.

Another possibility is that the WBC could be agents trying to provoke a public outcry against themselves, working on behalf of forces who would like the law changed to curtail freedom of speech. The strategy of ignoring them would avoid falling into any such trap.

Re: Ignore them...

Easier said than done if your child was murdered

Silver badge

Another possibility is that the WBC could be agents trying to provoke a public outcry against themselves, working on behalf of forces who would like the law changed to curtail freedom of speech.

No, they're vigorous defenders of free speech. They're method of operation is

1) show up at a funeral and behave as vulgarly as possible

2) wait for some upset family member to beat the crap out of them

3) sue for assault

4) never have a real job because the income from your lawsuits allows you to live a comfortable life.

It works well for them, sadly.

"Easier said than done if your child was murdered"

Shoot them instead

The courts would have a hard time finding a jury who wouldn't think it was a justifiable homicide

Trollface

Westboro Baptist Church

Are a bunch of Trolls of the worst sort.

Don't feed the trolls.

Silver badge

Anonymous vs. Westboro Baptist Church.....

It's ALMOST enough to make me forget my commitment to free speech and cheer on Anonymous.

Angel

The end is near!

Well WBC will be shut up in about 3 days, as we all will be - end of debate :)

This post has been deleted by its author

Anonymous Coward

UK has a constitution

@JDX

While the UK is one of the few countries not to have a single written constitution, you are mistaken if you think that means we do not have one. We do have one it's just a little hard to track it down. It's made up from the Magna Carta, the bill of rights, the settlement act, the parliament acts etc.

MJF

1. outrage people 2. sue for free speech 3: profit!

The group, which has barely 100 (mostly family) members, also has a lucrative sideline in suing those who attack them, of whom there are many.

Sideline? Isn't that actually what they're about? The more people they provoke, the more opportunities to keep the money rolling in.

MJI
Silver badge

How come noone has shot them?

I am surprised no one has put a WBC out of everyone elses misery.

Silver badge
Unhappy

Does this make Anonymous cowards?

Why would you need to be anonymous to against this group is beyond me. If I lived in the states I would happily break a few windows at the church, or to put it another way - put the church beyond economical repair.

*I use the word church in a loose meaning, as whilst it is a congregation of fucktard minded twazzocks it isn't a collection of people striving for world peace.

Silver badge

Re: Does this make Anonymous cowards?

Their church (I'm not going to blame the building for the people who use it as a base of operations) has been bombed at least twice (it was twice last time I checked, years ago). It failed to shut them up. In fact, if anything it's made them more obnoxious since they occasionally play the martyr card because of the bombings.

Joke

I like the WBC sign that has the raster colors on it, not very christian though is it.

Headmaster

As opposed to the vector colours?

Think you meant Rasta, short for Rastafarian.

indeed I did. used to writing raster more than rasta to be honest

Silver badge

>not very christian, is it?

Rastafarianism seems to have more parallels with Judaism than Christianity.

The only good vigilante is Batman.

Anonymous, are you Batman? No? Shut up, then.

On the other hand, WBC deserve everything they get, so full steam ahead!

Oh, I'm so conflicted...

WBC

I don't like them very much

Anonymous Coward

In the self-righteousness stakes, they seem neck-and-neck...

Distraction?

While there may be people who genuinely adhere to this WBC insanity, it perversely distracts from the issue at hand.

The appearance of such a group acts conveniently like those odd persons from Porlock, no?

The WBC may illustrate some of the dangerous undercurrents that shape a society which witnesses frequent slaughter of the innocents. Otherwise they should be treated with the contempt they so clearly deserve

Facepalm

On the slight chance that someone from Anon is bothering to follow this

When you use a text-to-speech program, sometimes you need to deliberately misspell words so that they are pronounced correctly.

Take "defaming", for instance, which text-to-speech often (and in the video) renders as "defamming".

Use "defaiming" instead, and you're likely to get a better result.

Thumb Up

Yay Anon

Anon will make the world a better place one little fucked up piece at a time

Anonymous Coward

WBC are scum

But they are sure doing a great job of undermining religion.

They show it up for the complete nutjobbery that it is.

FSM speed to that!

Silver badge
FAIL

Re: WBC are scum

Scum speaks to scum.

You're willing to exploit the deaths of children to "undermine religion".

Were he to exist, his noodly appendage would recoil from you in disgust.

This post has been deleted by its author

Looks like the hack is off for now

Just checked, and while Shirley's Twitter account has been taken down, the GHF website is back up and not being blocked. I imagine that won't last for too long, though.

Silver badge

Actions against WBC

I'm suprised that no one has lobbied for WBC's status as a charitable organisation/religion hasn't been revoked yet. No shortage of history of that in the USA and there is little doubt that it could be proved that they aren't christians, let alone baptists. I've known a lot of baptists/methodists and whilst they are largely gullible religious types they don't generally have a nasty bone in their bodies and spend a lot of time spreading their "message of reconciliation, peace and love". I don't think WBC fits that image at all.

But, seeing as they haven't been rejected by society and the church yet, I have some advice for the Anons from Machievelli..

"If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared."

Big Brother

Re: Actions against WBC

There is another petition for the US Gov to investigate their tax exempt status.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2017