back to article Reg hack uncovers perfect antidote to internet

I was on holiday last week, and as is the local custom, I took the chance to disconnect completely from cyberspace, shut down the PC, and retire to the alfresco chillax zone of the Special Project Bureau's mountaintop headquarters for a few well-deserved beers. Mercifully, I don't suffer from internet withdrawal jitters or …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Pet Peeve
    Facepalm

This is disturbingly familiar

Before I got older and saner and hired people to do a proper job of things, I had a problem in the sewage vault by my house. If you don't know what a sewage vault is, it's a 16 foot deep pit about 10 feet square PIT that the house gray water lines dump into on the top, and connects with the city sewer on the bottom, with valves on the bottom side so if the sewer fills to capacity (which used to be frequent in Chicago before they replaced 110 year old sewer pipes), you don't have a geyser coming out of your storm drains and showers.

Well, one day the valve broke. Pumping out the water wasn't too bad (fortunately this isn't SEWAGE sewage, that goes out a different route), but when the vault was finally empty, I said "someone's going to have to go down there and wrench out the valve, aren't they?".

Like Lester, the folks all gave me a blank look meaning it was gonna be ME climbing down an extension latter through a 3 foot wide access hatch, down into the nastiest stench I have ever experienced. I was just smart enough to demand that we rig up a fan to blow fresh air down the hatch, making it survivable, or I think I would have passed out before I got the first bolt off.

And then after getting the valve back from the welding shop, I had to go down there AGAIN. A few years after that we had the whole thing replaced with an automated system and a guy who comes out every year to do maintenance. The joys of owning your own home and being young and stupid!

2. MissingSecurity
    Pint

H&S BS...

You go through each day travelling at god knows what speeds, with tons of steel feet from each other, and your concern is about H&S regulations for a backyard project?

Me thinks yo need to get out more...and watch out for that well, we go some brick laying to do.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: H&S BS...

Yes, I do travel at high speeds in a tin box. I've also done it on Kawasakis, Suzukis and Triumphs for years - probably a darn sight quicker than you've been doing it in your tin box.

But then, I do it in leathers and a lid - my equivalent of shoring, a hard hat, etc.

I've also spent plenty of time working on sites and "backyard projects".

There *is* H&S bullshit, no doubt about that. A high-vis jacket on a wee project like that is pointless. Wearing a hard-hat when you're, I dunno, tiling a floor or something, is just stupid.

But taking precautions such as not standing in the bottom of an unshored, relatively loose-sided looking, undercut foundations at the top, just dug pit, which has already got water leaching down it is *not* bullshit.

That comes down, the man dies. No question. And it happens - plenty.

Sadly a friend of mine learned the hard way about safety on building sites. Don't think he'd be thinking "bullshit" right now either.

The on-the-road equivalent of standing in that pit is *not* you driving in your tin box. It's far more akin to you standing in between the lanes on the motorway.

3. Sweaty Hambeast

Where can I get a job like this?

Let's see:

warm climate (mostly)

donkey breeding

donkey workforce

lots of butch mates down the taverna

forefront of space exploration

sideline in writing articles for a well-known website

Who do I have to sleep with in order to get a job like this? (N.B. Anyone who answers "Orlowski" will be sent back in time in a handy TARDIS to suffer at the hands of the Moderatrix!)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Where can I get a job like this?

I miss Ms Bee. I hope she's keeping well.

And safe from us lot.

1. Mike Perrin
        Black Helicopters

Re: Where can I get a job like this?

http://www.sarahbee.co.uk/index.html

4. Sweaty Hambeast

PS Banner

As a complete aside, I like the effect on the banner :-)

5. Mr Young
    Happy

Wish I had a shiny 21st century hat and vest?

But NOW you have a brand new well and nobody got hurted ye! Just how did us humans get this far? I for one am looking forward to hear if it works well etc

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

In the UK, an abstraction license is required to permit taking water out of the environment, be it a massive hydroelectric scheme or a pokey wee hole in the ground like this. Isn't Spain subject to the Water Framework Directive as well, and as the area suffers from drought, wouldn't this kind of kind of abstraction be highly regulated?

1. J.G.Harston Silver badge

Only if it's - off the top of my head - more than 50cu.m per year.

1. Andrew Alan McKenzie
        Coat

Abstaction licence

Not off the top of my head...

n the UK you can pump up to 20 m3/day without a licence - assuming that it's there to be had and that your pumping doesn't adversely effect your neigbours (although if it did that would be a civil issue).

If pumping less than 20 m3/day about the only requirement on you is to lodge a geological record if you go below 15 metres.

7. jake Silver badge
    Pint

In 1869 ...

... my Great Grandfather dug a well "5 foot square and an honest 30 foot deep, with a two foot sump in the North West corner". His diary, on my lap as I type, goes on to describe the "otherwise useless first cuts of the Redwood logs, flat side to the walls" that he used as bracing (with hand drawn diagrams), and that the sump was for the hand-pump that my Great Grandmother operated to keep the well dry as he dug. He reported "a good twenty foot of water" about three days after the bottoming out entry ...

Fast-forward 130 years ... In 1999 the water level was still ten feet from the surface, but that particular well was only 14 feet deep. There was no trace of the bracing, although my eldest Uncle remembered seeing it as a small child. The visible sides were still square, though. We used the well for irrigation & the loo. Every now & then, a small critter managed to commit suicide by drowning, and thus cause the water to stink, and the water had a lot of iron in it, which stained the plumbing & allowed the growth of iron-fixing bacteria, which also stink. So I decided to do an update.

Taking G-grandad's diary at face value, I located a 30-foot long by 4-foot diameter corrugated plastic culvert. I drilled 1.5 inch holes into it at roughly 1 foot intervals over the lower 15 feet. Then I wrapped the bottom half in two layers of landscape felt, separated by a 1-inch PVC "boot". After getting it poised over the well, and with a good supply of 3-5 inch river rock and 3/4-1 inch pebbles on hand, I started agitating the bottom with a two-man gas-powered auger (post-hole digger), with a large homemade "paint mixer" at the end of an extendable shaft.

I pumped the generated muck out with a trash pump. Took three days. After the first day, I was terrified that the walls would collapse ... I got lucky. The well is, indeed, "five by five, and an honest 30-foot", with a 2 foot sump in the corner. I put a foot of pebbles in the sump, and dropped a 2" PVC pipe with a brass strainer into it, then topped it up with more pebbles. I can both aerate the water to precipitate out out the naturally occurring iron, and inject chlorine from the bottom up if I need to "shock the well" using the 2" pipe.

Next came 3 feet of 3-5 river rock. Then I lowered the culvert, and shoveled in the rest of the river rock between culvert & earth. Naturally, I didn't have enough rock ... After getting enough to fill it to within about 6 inches of the top, and to put about a foot into the bottom of the culvert, I sealed the outside edge with concrete leaving about three feet of culvert exposed.

Added a hinged lid & lock, a bit of plumbing, a Sears 1.5HP pump & a largish pressure tank, and we're back in business with a 19 foot long, 4 foot diameter store of water. As in G-granpa's day, I can empty it & it'll be full again in under three days. With the aerator, the water is clear & clean. I haven't had to use the chlorine option (yet). The Lab at Berkeley has reported the water fit for human consumption every year for the last dozen years. It tastes sweet, kind of like Hetch Hetchy water.

Beer, because it makes good beer, too :-)

8. Marshalltown
    Pint

Kipling

With a well that shallow and neighbors, the first thing that crossed my mind was the line from Kipling, "My sceptic and well drain into each other, oh, why have the fluxes afflicted my mother." Good luck with the water.

9. Derk
    Happy

Want one

I have no need of a well. Where I live we have too much water. First I'd start with a well, then keep digging and digging, extra rooms, tunnels to other places, need to keep it secret. But where to put all that earth?

A bloke along the street from me has a huge underground "romper room" in his back garden. He is a musician, so he and his mates can go wild in there and the neighbours in our street of unassuming 1930's semi's hear and know nothing.

1. Sweaty Hambeast

Re: Want one

Would that more people would be so considerate!

10. Tim Worstal

How very strange

The Portuguese builder you use that is.

There are many similar wells around my area of the Algarve (yes, El Reg does seem to hire people who live in warm climates with lots of cold beer etc) and they all have another concrete ring or stone walls coming up above ground. To thyree foot or so.

It's to stop the kiddies and mutts etc falling in you see?

Something else that does worry me though. The "traditional" picture of a well. You know, in the Janet and John stories. OK, so round brickwork up to waist level. Two upright beams supporting the roller carrying the rope and bucket. And then a little roof over the top.

Why does anyone want to keep rain out of a well?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Happy

Re: How very strange

"Why does anyone want to keep rain out of a well?"

You don't get much rainwater into an uncovered well.

You do, however, get incredible amounts of bird poo.

1. Tim Worstal

Re: How very strange

Ah! That explains that then.

Ta.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

These golf course's in spain look upto my standard of play

Just needs a flag in it now, no reason a well can't look like a oversized golf-course hole now is there, least would have the Tee in IT aspect covered *groan* :)

12. Will Godfrey Silver badge
    Happy

So...

You used three sections of tubing.

Well, well, well.

1. Lester Haines (Written by Reg staff) Gold badge

Right, you're banned from El Reg for a month. Hand in your pass at the desk...

13. harmjschoonhoven
    Coat

Re: rain in the Atacama Desert

The Atacama desert may be one of the driest places on earth. But when it rains, it comes in torrents.

The ALMA observatory was also affected by a recent snowstorm.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/southamerica/chile/9083614/Worlds-driest-desert-hit-by-heavy-rains-causing-floods-and-mudslides.html

I will take my raincoat.

14. Wensleydale Cheese

A great story, thanks.

It beats the heck out of weeding, which I was doing last weekend.

15. Aldous
    Trollface

party like its 2006

so how many millions did you get from an EU development grant to build the well?

16. P. Lee
    Trollface

Call me back...

when it looks like this: http://www.atariage.com/2600/screenshots/s_Miner2049er_1.png

17. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Holiday?

So ... Lester took a break from playing with the Internet to play with a series of tubes?

Damned if I can tell the difference.

18. Gordon 8
    Thumb Up

Well

It's the SPB bunker entrance carefully camouflaged to look like a well.

1. Lester Haines (Written by Reg staff) Gold badge

Re: Well

Blast... you've blown our cover.

19. Mad Hacker
    Coat

From the Danger Mouse episode "Where There's a Well There's a Way"

Colonel K:

Leave Well Alone

Now for Penfold:

All's well that ends well.

Where there's a well, there's a way.

Well I never.

Avast ye lubbers! The white well!

Well, well, well.

Get well soon.

The narrator:

[Does that make you] the Prince of Wells?

If [you] found it occupied by a large yellow and black striped insect would it have been the Well of the Wasp?

Gets coat...

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like