back to article The iPHONE 5 UNDERMINES western DEMOCRACY: 5 reasons why

Thinking of buying a new iPhone 5 after it gets announced later today? Don't. Owning it will mark you out as an easily-led simpleton - and worse, the purchase will undermine western democracy. Our last digest along these lines was published prior to iPhone Day last year, but as it turned out - and who are we to say just why - …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Re: Weird...

Haha, the batteries haven't failed they just want the latest iPhone and that's how they get one.

Anonymous Coward

Re: Jai, I agree but with this qualification......

"Unless you work in the desert, it's not hard at all to top up a phone at some point in the day. It's even easier with USB leads being standard so you can charge up on PCs and not worry about being caught out using someone's power socket."

Or you could just carry the spare battery (you can get them for less than £10 btw) and not have to top up at all during the day. Seems easier than carrying a 1 metre USB lead + 30 pin adaptor + 3 pin mains adaptor and then having to hunt down a power socket you can use for free without getting into trouble.

Linux

Re: Weird...

The "you must be a mechanic fallacy".

You don't have to be a mechanic to benefit from the fact that the guy next to you can be one. The fact that you can be means that he can be and he can do all of the hard work for you.

Although more than anything, a product that isn't "geek hostile" is likely to have more thought put into it. The demanding user will be considered. It doesn't have to be a "geek". It could just be someone that puts the product through it's paces. You can do that without being a "geek" or a "mechanic".

Apple's "let's lower the bar" mentality is what led me to hack and jailbreak my iPhone. It should not have been necessary but it was. It was just a reflection of Apple ignoring the serious user. This made an iPhone more of a bother than an Android.

Silver badge

2nd battery (was Re: Jai, I agree but with this qualification......)

A few years ago I was using a basic Nokia 6310 phone. I think that's the model number. Anyway, it had pretty good standby time for the most part--probably about 2.5 days. The big problem with it, though, was that if it went out of coverage it meant that it ramped up the power to the GSM radio so if I forgot to turn it off or keep it on charge during the day (we had very bad coverage where I worked), I'd have a flat phone by the end of the day. That's the first reason people want a replaceable battery--as a backup in case they get caught with a flat battery and no easy way to recharge once they notice it.

The second reason is that batteries deteriorate over time. A three-year old phone won't last as long as the day you bought it. I agree totally with the article here--it does seem like a very cynical ploy by Apple to keep you on the upgrade cycle to the next shiny, when really all that's wrong with the 3-year old phone is that it needs a new battery.

Happy

2/10 for the effort, but I'll still put my pre-order in.

Anonymous Coward

1 idiotBadge coming up!

Anonymous Coward

"1 idiotBadge coming up!"

So named because it's coming FROM an idiot who can't even type properly!

Anonymous Coward

""1 idiotBadge coming up!"

So named because it's coming FROM an idiot who can't even type properly!"

AC == idiotPhone owner. Stop the crap and be man enough to stop hinding behind AC, otherwise your comments are just puffs of hot air!

Preaching to the wrong crowd...

Lewis, we all know this already, (apart from the chumps who are pretending to be techies reading this on a fruit device convincing themselves how deluded we all are)

Get this up on the BBC or in the metro or that stupid i paper from the Independant, might actually filter through a few indoctrinated brain cells...

Anonymous Coward

Re: Preaching to the wrong crowd...

"...or in the metro or that stupid i paper from the Independant"

Print is dead!

Silver badge

3rd most read article on the BBC website just now (probably partly due to being on the front page of Reddit)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-19557497

Says much the same thing.

Trollface

Sorry Lewis, I take it back, looks like you already greased a few palms at auntie ;)

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-19557497

Anonymous Coward

"Print is dead!"

Well, in your world, it was never all that alive, I suspect. Not exactly Oscar Wilde, are you?

Thumb Up

“Print is dead!”

Thank you, Dr Spengler.

Anonymous Coward

I love how others get it, but you! ____________ ERM ____________

Sharp as a tack eh?

FAIL

Just like the El Reg Staff then

"As a commentator on the sci/tech/biz scene, unfortunately, he doesn't do so well. Sadly he has shown that he has only a very weak grasp - often none at all - on how various technological things actually work" Stephen Fry - just like the staff at the Register

Re: Just like the El Reg Staff then

citation(s) needed

Re: Just like the El Reg Staff then

Have you ever read an article on El Reg that taught you something? No? Are you a super genius perhaps?

I didn't think so. Maybe you don't know anything about tech and the words just fly above your 'Nerd' head.

Happy

Hilarious but...

...wasn't this supposed to go out as a Bong article?

Mushroom

Hurry Hurry - get them quick before the possible ban !

At least two companies are already working on court filings to get it banned as they claim apple copied them.

If these companies are successful I wonder what the withdrawal symptoms will be like ?

Re: Hurry Hurry - get them quick before the possible ban !

A doctor a day to keep the Apple withdrawal away.

Stop

Re: Hurry Hurry - get them quick before the possible ban !

It won't happen. Even if Apple broke into another company, stole their phone, copied it exactly, and began selling it as the iPhone X - all with full sound and video recording them - the iPhone wouldn't be banned from selling. Now, they may get in trouble, don't get me wrong - but they won't be banned. How else would the judge make phone calls?

Silver badge
Devil

" As such Apple hysteria is hurting our economies and undermining one of the main things supporting our way of life."

Oh well.

Don't you think after the economy bubble, kept afloat by politicians and central banksters (the former with increasingly highly stained pants, the latter with increasingly large cars) via cheap credit and "bailouts", it's a bit late to complain?

Silver badge

Tried not to get involved but

The 2nd Number 2 bullet point (I presume it should have been Number 3?) is actually the one of most relevance. By not providing an SD or similar slot, Apple are extracting the Michael a tad. I am not aware of any other supplier (no I'm not going to go into Manufacturer vs Designer vs Supplier) who still plays that way and it is hard to see it as other than a way of controlling price for capacity and/or methods for transferring data.

Thumb Down

Re: Tried not to get involved but

" I am not aware of any other supplier (no I'm not going to go into Manufacturer vs Designer vs Supplier) who still plays that way"

How about Google with the Galaxy Nexus phone and the Nexus 7 tablet. No SD card on either of them.

It's also quite useless on newer phones like the Galaxy S3 since you can't actually move stuff like apps to the SD card.

Atho....

It's not often I use words like this but, what are you talking about you moron? It's perfect for quick file transfers and putting in one of the small library of cards containing which ever TV series you wish to switch to.

Yes, Google also fucks up

Anonymous Coward

..or for your metric buttload of music (including a load of Metric, but no Butthole Surfers, in my case), and all the offline map data and other crap that I carry around.

Hell, the multi-gig downloads from various games too. Most of the content on my phone is stored on the SD card. Not sure in what sane universe it's "useless".

This is the same argument as the closed garden one - if lots of people pay for crap from one company then there is every incentive for other companies in the same market to match them.

Its this race to the bottom that perverts the capitalist rationale ( it also looks very like the "good enough" attitude that MS has always been roasted for ).

You can put videos on an SD card and put the SD card in the Apple Camera Connection Kit and watch the videos from there. Do this all the time, but I use my iPad because watching a movie on a phone isn't that great, even with those dinner plate sized android phones.

Silver badge

Re: no SD on Neuxs or Nexus 7

Yes, Google also fucks up

The way I see it, the lack of an upgrade slot was a deliberate design decision to achieve two things. First, since they're basically subsidising the hardware, they want to keep costs down. Second, they don't want to piss off the other Android suppliers by making a phone or tablet that's too good (again, particularly if they're subsidising the cost). I'm only surmising this, but I feel that they want to produce something that's a pretty good showcase for Android, but want to avoid being accused of "stealing" the market from other Android makers. So I see the lack of an SD slot here as being kind of a middle ground, with the assumption that if users want to upgrade, they'll check out the other android manufacturers.

Thumb Up

It's brilliant because it's true.

Thank you for the mid-week smiley.

Now... let the flame war begin!!!

iSheep.

Anonymous Coward

Re: It's brilliant because it's true.

Only Androidiots like flame wars, they can't hold a reasonable argument.

Anonymous Coward

"Re: It's brilliant because it's true.

Only Androidiots like flame wars, they can't hold a reasonable argument."

Your rantings suggest that and idotPhone user could?

Mushroom

Pff. Everyone who isn't unhealthily pious and over-protective of their phone brand enjoys a good flame war.

The more unreasonable the better :)

Anonymous Coward

Oh look another bonehead fandroid foaming at the mouth over this "article". How many comments have you posted here and on other Apple stories? 1000? Don't you have a life or something?

Aren't you a good example of fanboi cleverness.

Also, I'm fairly sure it's 'Fandroid.'

Silver badge
Gimp

Re: ...they can't hold a reasonable argument.

But they can hold a phone any way they like...

WTF?

Point number 1 means I can't take this entire article seriously. What a load of link bait and pandering tosh.

WTF?

I was hoping to read some good reasons not to buy the iphone 5

but got none :-/

Oh well, I'll just have to mindlessly buy it. Especially as I don't want a memory slot, or a spare battery (4 days battery life from my iphone 4 will do me), and I'd happily be bummed by Stephen Fry.

Also, do I want an android phone with poor battery life, poor ui, piss poor management of push data (no I don't want to configure each app to 'poll' every X minutes chewing up battery life), and even more piss poor touch response (but awesome custom keyboard options - I do miss that).

Thing is, I don't need a pc in my pocket, I need a phone that can do a few extra things reliably (and of course condoms if I meet stephen fry).

Anonymous Coward

Re: I was hoping to read some good reasons not to buy the iphone 5

Do you know what you are talking about?

Anonymous Coward

5 reasons for publishing this article

1. Page impressions

2. Page impressions

3. etc...

Anonymous Coward

Re: 5 reasons for publishing this article

One word: adblock

Anonymous Coward

Re: 5 reasons for publishing this article

You forgot:

4. Profit

Silver badge
Happy

People doing irrational things with money?

Shocking

Makes you wonder what fashion is all about

Re: People doing irrational things with money?

oo, I know the answer to that one.

Fashion is about removing choice from the consumer.

Anonymous Coward

" It makes no sense that the iPhone (which is in many important respects less good than other smartphones) should command such an outrageous price premium among consumers"

It gives the idiotPhone owner some status (you hear it from the 'tards all the time on 'ere).

Anonymous Coward

IdiotPhone? Is that something out of Asus, like the PadFone?

Anonymous Coward

"IdiotPhone? Is that something out of Asus, like the PadFone?"

No! I said idiotPhone. Like your not owned by one?

Anonymous Coward

IdiotPhone aka ObviouslyPhone!

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2017