back to article Microsoft: It's not Metro, it's Windows 8

Microsoft has racked its collective brains to come up with a replacement name for what it had formerly called its Metro user interface, and after much deliberation, its new moniker will reportedly be ... Windows 8. Veteran Microsoft watcher Mary Jo Foley was the first to report the name change, citing unnamed industry sources …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. RICHTO
          Mushroom

Re: Have you even tried it?

If you were a good sysadmin, you would use the remote tools for everything and install Core Server only on Server 2012 with no GUI. There is normally no need to RDP to a 2012 server, and you should not install the GUI unless actually required...

1. Cameron Colley

@RICHTO

Who said I installed anything on the server, who said they were Server 2012 [I'm not a time traveller]?

I work with the mixed, evolving environment I'm given, as do most sysadmins who don't work for small businesses.

Doesn't alter my problem though does it? Pulling up the menu in Metro blocks the screen and hitting start through RDP is harder, concrete examples that post I was responding to asked for.

Anyone want to tell me what the benefit of hiding the Start Menu button is? How about the benefit of forcing Metro instead of the Start Menu (and, no, "I like the widgets" does not count as a benefit of _forcing it on people_)?

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Re: "50% boot times over Win7"

Oh, so that's an important argument because . . . you spend all day rebooting ?

My Win 7 on SSD boots in two seconds. Well it did when I first installed it. Now it takes a full six seconds.

Galls me, but I only boot once a day, so it's not really that important.

Windows 8 can boot in less than one second if it wants, I do not care for its tiles. And if moving with the times implies using a PlaySchool interface then I'll be a happy dinosaur, thank you.

And that's an objective decision. We're talking about an OS here, not flying cars. OSes are still made for managing apps and interfacing with hardware, not inciting religious zealotry. An OS is a good OS if it does not get in the way of using the applications people need to use. Moving with the times is not replacing the UI of said functionality with bigger icons. Moving with the times would much more be Microsoft placing its OS code in the public domain in order to let people skin its interface however they wanted it.

Fat chance that'll happen though.

Go on running after your shiny-shiny things and spouting useless religious comparisons. I'm sure you're feeling very righteous.

1. h4rm0ny

Re: "50% boot times over Win7"

"And that's an objective decision."

Well it's not really answering the poster's question though, is it? You didn't give an objective reason why to dislike Windows 8, you gave a reason why the the very much faster boot time is something you personally don't care about. Note the "you personally" in there. That makes it a subjective opinion, not an objective one.

So you say you personally don't care about one of the advantages in Windws 8. That's hardly answering the poster's question of how Windows 8 is so objectively bad.

2. hplasm
          Windows

Re: "you spend all day rebooting ?"

It is Windows...

1. Danny 14
    Trollface

hmm

Just call it "new windows" works for other firms....

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

How about "Double Glazing"?

You get one full size window or two panes, split as we dictate.

1. RICHTO
        Mushroom

Re: How about "Double Glazing"?

Only for Metro Apps which are designed to work like that. There is still a desktop for everything else...

2. Brent Longborough
    Pint

Maybe a better name would be...

... iWindows?

3. Shonko Kid
    Coat

Windows Wolf

They should copy Apple totally on this, except use types of dog (dogs chase cats...). I eagerly await Windows Coyote, but will probably skip Hyena or Chihuahua.

Numbers are for squares!

4. Shonko Kid
    Joke

Rock, Paper, Scissors

They should name each subsequent version after the one that 'wins' the previous one, this has the added advantage that by the time they're onto the next pass of Windows Rock, customers who bought the first one are actually ready to upgrade, having skipped the previous 2 'new versions'.

5. Piro Silver badge

A right royal mess...

Suits the whole Windows 8 UI really, an absolute cluster..

6. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

The obvious name for Metro all along was...

...Windowpains.

7. Joerg
    FAIL

Not even a name they can come up with for their lame fraud...

The awful unusable Metro now is names "Windows 8" user interface... seriously ?

So.. now people will tell "Windows8 with the Windows8 User interface" ?

And "Windows Server 2012 with the Windows8 User Interface" ?

And "Windows Phone 8 with the Windows8 User Interface" ?

Seriously?

At Microsoft they must be using some very strong drugs nowadays...

8. Barry Tabrah
    Happy

And thus..

Coffin, meet nail. Nail, this is coffin. You're going to be spending a lot of time together. In a deep, dark hole. Covered with dirt. Where nobody will ever see you. It's been fun.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Said before I expect

But I'll say it again the "Previously know as Metro" apps should be called

W8 Apps - beause that's what I seem to do once I've called one up.

10. Syed
    Facepalm

Going backward

@Author wrote "...will be known as a Windows 8-style UI going forward."

How about writing this as "...will be known as a Windows 8-style UI".

The word 'will' indicates future tense so there is no need to 'go forward' -- ever.

</GETS OFF SOAP BOX>

11. Mikeoh
    Joke

Wait...

As this will be a phone OS then in text speak we can call it w8

12. marklar
    Alien

Oh, here on Marklar, we refer to all people, places, and things as marklar.

13. Lallabalalla
    Facepalm

My god they are such DICKS

That is all.

14. Scott 2
    Thumb Up

They should just call it LCARS.

15. marklar
    Alien

Marklar

Oh, here on Marklar, we refer to all people, places, and things as marklar.

16. Justicesays
    Joke

Call them this:

Tablet apps should be referred to as "Tapps"

desktop apps as "Dapps"

The Windows advertising team as "Twats"

Windows 8 Tapp

Windows 8 Dapp

Windows 8 Twats

Sorted

17. Richard Ball

Bing

They should call the interface Bing.

It's a trademark they own, and that is doing sod all at the moment.

1. Nuke
      Facepalm

Re: Bing

Like Bing Crosby then, a 1940's smoothie with ears that stuck out, singer of that cheesy song that supermarkets put on endless loop for 2 months before every Xmas.

2. Nuke

Re: Bing - OMG, not that Guy Please

Like Bing Crosby then, a 1940's smoothie with ears that stuck out, singer of that cheesy song that supermarkets put on endless loop for 2 months before every Xmas.

18. Tony Paulazzo

Call it what you want, if you have a second screen (as I do), you can extend it (to the right only), duplicate the main screen and use it as the only screen, but you can no longer make it the primary screen...

So, useless for games (assuming screen1 to be a laptop), unless there's a non obvious way of doing it.

PS been using it for months and I still think the start screen is an abomination of UI design, luckily there's a 'ClassicShellSetup' downloadable to give me a start button back.

Obviously, would prefer the option from MS at install.

1. RICHTO
      Mushroom

Then that would be the preview - not the final version...

19. JCB
    Happy

LIDL?

Perhaps if the Metro group won't let MS use their name, MS could talk to the other German groups and then we could have either the Microsoft LIDL interface, or Windows ALDI. I suppose it is too much to ask to ask if Tesco would give up their name.

20. Seb123
    FAIL

Do they think people are stupid?

"Microsoft has tried to spin the change by claiming that Metro had only been a code name used by developers all along, and that it had never intended to use the term with the general public."

Why bullshit like this when it's all over the place and was mentioned externally to the public on countless occasions? Do they think people are stupid?

Seems like they still need to run a big copy and replace all over the place...

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/br211386.aspx

21. Levente Szileszky
    FAIL

Ballmerian world of utter incompetence...

...is finally hitting everybody on the forehead - how long until the clueless yet arrogant bald fatty with anger issues is finally out for good?

22. RetroTom
    Stop

'Windows 8 Interface?

Can I be foolishly optimistic and hope it means this turd of an interface has already been dropped from Windows 9?

23. Si 1

Well this makes things much easier

Now I can just say I don't want Windows 8 in my Windows 8.

24. Boris the Cockroach Silver badge
    Linux

why not

call it "Windows CF"

As in windows cluster f**k

Or windows Fubar

etc etc

25. Lghost
    Linux

W849 ( again)

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.