back to article Will Samsung's patent court doc leak backfire spectacularly?

Samsung's decision to leak evidence banned from court could hand Apple an automatic win in the warring tech titans' patent trial. The South Korean giant had prepared slides to potentially prove its rival was wrong to claim Samsung had copied the iPhone design - but after the judge barred the evidence from being put before the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. RogerThat

The judge rejected Samsung's fishy drawings because she believed, based on several obvious facts, that they were faked.

1. Grikath
      Facepalm

yeah... And of course the Fruity "Intellectual Property" is of course the pinnacle of innovation, and not using anything that anywhere else in the world would class as "too bloody obvious to be even considered for a patent".

2. peter 45

Evidence? Citations?

3. mhenriday
      FAIL

And, pray tell,

just what were those «several obvious facts and to whom were/are they «obvious» ? You wouldn't care to cite any sources, would you, «RogerThat» ?...

Henri

2. Jurassic
    Thumb Down

Samsung is doing everything it can to lose this case

"The divulged information included a few Apple internal memos and the designs for Samsung's F700 mobe, which predates the iPhone."

Point 1: Those "Apple internal memos" actually support Apple's case, since the "Sony influenced" design was actually contracted by Jony Ive (Apple's designer) in 2006, and the design was not used for the iPhone. Apple also has shown an earlier 2005 design they had that WAS used as the design for the iPhone.

Point 2: Samsung's F700 phone is NOT anything like the iPhone's patented design, and the interface is nothing like the iPhone UI. Even if it was similar (which it is not), Samsung's F700 design came out in February 2007... one month after the iPhone was introduced.

3. David 45

More sour grapes

Surely if the judge didn't actually instruct Samsung to keep the information under wraps, then Samsung are free to do with it whatever they want? Apple are still on the bully-boy track, trying to keep competition at bay, it would seem. Not doing their reputation any good at all. I certainly wouldn't buy any of their pretty-boy, grossly over-priced kit.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Trollface

Wait, I have prior art too!!!

I just checked my old college work from 2003, guess what I found?! Yep, a phone design (Made in Cenima4D) with a single touch screen, chocolate bar type with ROUND EDGES!

Ok, so, where do I cue up to sue Apple and Samsung!?

Does this mean I'm due for millions?

1. applepie
      FAIL

Re: Wait, I have prior art too!!!

I sugest your consult with an Attorney, and good luck.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Wait, I have prior art too!!!

Nah, consider it my gift to them, under the proviso they stop playing like school kids.

5. David Hagan
    Thumb Up

Patent Fraud

I think that to introduce a criminal offence of patent fraud applicable where a party knowingly makes a civil claim for compensation were it can be proven there is obvious prior art or otherwise no legitimate grounds to proceed would prevent this circus of litigation.

1. P. Lee

Re: Patent Fraud

Hear Hear!

Both sides submit all their evidence (prior art, etc) and argument in written form to each other and their own lawyers make a decision as to whether the patents are valid.

If litigation then proceeds to court (still no agreement), new evidence & argument may not be introduced and if the plaintiff loses, the plaintiff-requested damages are automatically awarded to the defendant.

6. petrosy

The fundamental difference between the 2 companies are....

Samsung is not trying to prevent anyone from buying an iPhone.

Apple is trying to prevent everyone from buying anything else. If you Apple fanbois are so upset with Samsung ... don’t buy their products its that simple.

I think Apple are just upset that people look at them with their iDevice as Neanderthals .... The phone looks dated and feels dated. I always see people on the subway using that crappy keyboard to send text messages and click on an interface that looks like a Fischer-Price toy. Instead of dwelling on what Samsung is doing maybe you should be worried about what Apple is not doing.... like innvovating!

7. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Megaphone

In the Year 2000!!!

FABULOUS FIGHTS over WHO DREW A RECTANGLE FIRST on a SHITTY PIECE OF PAPER like retarded SCHOOLBOYS!

BILLIONS upon BILLIONS OF US DOLLARS INVOLVED!

See high-powered LAWYERS ARGUE!

See FANBOIS RAGE! See JUDGES 'SPLODE! See JURYS INFLUENCED!

Starring: STEVE ("DEAD JESUS") JOBS! KOH THE BEAK! Perfidious KOREAN MANUFACTURERS rubbing HANDS! Supporting Roles: USPTO BUREAUCRACY in its renowned DUMB&DUMBER SUPPORTING ROLE!

NOW IN POINTLESS DISCUSSIONS IN MESSAGE THREADS ALL OVER THE COUNTRY!!!

1. N13L5
      Devil

Re: In the Year 2000!!!

Fabulous Summarization... should make a fine Postcard to send to the jurors :D

8. Maryland, USA
    Thumb Down

Gene Roddenberry's daughter learned a similar lesson the hard way

In his will, the late Star Trek creator stipulated that anyone who challenged their inheritance was to receive nothing. Roddenberry's daughter was awarded "only" $10 million and no residuals. She felt she deserved more. Acting on what must be the worst legal advice in history, she challenged the will. The judge wasted no time in awarding her nothing.

9. mhenriday
    Big Brother

After having waded through the material

released by the Samsung team to journalists (http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/1257891/Samsung_unredacted_trial_brief.pdf), I can understand why Apple is up in arms - they obviously haven't got a leg to stand on in this case - but how Lucy Haeran Koh can keep this evidence from the jurors and then assert that this is a fair trial is quite beyond me. Here we have proof positive that not merely the patent system, but also the (in)justice system in the USA is in dire need of reform - but that doesn't come as a surprise to anyone, now does it ?...

Henri

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like