back to article Scottish council muzzles 9-year-old school dinner photo blogger

A Scottish council has been accused of crushing free speech by banning a nine year old girl from blogging about her school dinners. School Dinner by Glasgow blogger Veg, credit Martha Payne, used with permission Lunch at a primary school in Scotland: The first photo on the NeverSeconds blogpost that prompted a national media …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Read the second last post on her blog about the cookery school. Same cost for the meal but better quality. Not just about milking for profit, but about a lack of care. Though I suppose uncaring grunts cost less that someone with an ounce of empathy and some skill.

2. EyeCU

Yep

Have a look at what the Hairy Bikers did for meals on wheels. They proved decent home made food for the same cost with just a bit of effort.

1. Tom 7

A campaign of FOI requests

for nutritional information especially of pictures of meals that our tax goes to paying should loosen them up a bit.

Fight bureaucrats with bureaucracy - its the only thing they respect.

1. Rampant Spaniel

Re: A campaign of FOI requests

Tom, you are a genius, great idea!

2. Return To Sender
    Thumb Up

Sound of Council in high-speed retreat...

Just heard an interview on World at One; council leader chappie has said he's told the minions to withdraw the ban immediately. Methinks some reactionary twonk in the council's about to get a kicking for this!

3. Climbing Kid

U-Turn!

U-turn announced on Radio 4 world at one by the council.

Good news!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: U-Turn!

Just beat me to it.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Breaking news

BBC News channel have just reported the ban on her blog has been lifted.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Good..

as it was fucking unenforceable anyway...I'm more annoyed that her dad didn't have the cojones to tell them where they can stick their "ban".

6. Dangermouse 1

What's particularly great about this story is that in the last 24 hours, the donations to "Mary's Meals" on Martha's justgiving page have gone from £2000 to £26,900. In fact it went up by a few hundred quid in the time it took me to type this!

7. AndGregor
    Megaphone

fire them all !

Just the fact that an official acting on 'our behalf' deems it ok to attempt to, in their eyes, silence a 9 year old really pisses me off. Jobs and contracts, I.e. the person weak enough to be pressured into this action (the job) by the contractor forcing the 'food' onto an unsuspecting child or children, our children ! All should be fired immediately with no chance of providing a pathetic excuse. I want to see heads rolling into a deep fat fryer, mars bar in ear optional.

1. Rampant Spaniel

Re: fire them all !

That is one of the things that galls me the most about these scenarios. They never learn their lesson and they always escape any form of punishment. Right now they are patting themselves on the back about how well they managed the situation (that they created) and working out how it justifies a pay rise.

If I screwed up like that I would be sacked, hell I would resign if I ever had a head teacher go and tell a kid who was doing nothing more than telling the truth that she was doing something wrong. I know truth is a very flexible term to a politard, but it makes me sick that some kid was told off by someone she should respect on the orders of some coward of an uncivil servant, without the balls to do it themselves, for doing something we tell kids they have to do.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

She can blog on her own time

There is no God given right to blog in school at lunch.

1. Rampant Spaniel
      FAIL

Re: She can blog on her own time

Did you actually read any of the stories before rushing to jab at the anonymous muppet button? She didn't blog during her school dinners. She took a picture of her food and when she got home she then wrote her blog (assuming it wasn't her father writing it).

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: She can blog on her own time

Are you clueless? She must have a really good camera to take a picture of the food at school from her home...

9. Cheshire Cat
    Go

Gone viral...

Seems to have gone viral; donations now over ukp80,000 and rising.

Of course the idiot who set the policy to silence criticisms like this will get off scott free, as usual. However, the council now look even stupider than usual.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like