back to article 'Zombie bullets' fly off US shelves after wave of undead attacks

Special ammunition optimised for fighting zombies is selling like hot cakes in the USA, according to reports, following sensational media coverage of incidents involving flesh-eating and similar undead-esque behaviour. In particular, fears of an imminent zombie plague were stoked by the recent case of Rudy Eugene. The 31-year- …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. tekHedd
    Pint

We're not really sure what stops zombies...

The problem is that you don't really know what exactly will cause the zombie apocalypse. Will you need deep penetration or an expanding round? That's why I'm partial to Doubletap Ammo's 10mm "Equalizer" round.

http://www.doubletapammo.com/php/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=42

Still, a machete only needs occasional sharpening and doesn't need reloading.

2. Steven Roper
    Go

Did nobody spot this?

“I mean, I’ve heard of guys who buy it just because they think the packaging is cool and they set it on their cube and they don’t even own a gun,”...

I mean, what kind of workplace (other than a gun shop!) would allow you to display a box of LIVE FUCKING AMMUNITION around the office? Jesus, the 'Elf 'n' Safety mob would have a fucking field day, not to mention the cops hauling your arse down the station for endangering the public or enabling terrorism or something.

But then, I live in the Nanny-State Commonwealth of Ausfailia, where we have many people similar to the pathetic hand-wringing AC @ 11th June 2012 16:05 above, and where such behaviour would indeed create a major scandal. I'm guessing in American offices you can stack boxes of bullets 20 deep beside the coffee machine and nobody would bat an eye...

1. Marcel Esser
      Mushroom

Re: Did nobody spot this?

Storing bullets is about 10,000 times safer than storing, say, turpentine.

As a matter of fact, stand still, and I will throw bullets at you all day long. If one of them goes off, I will give you my house.

2. jake Silver badge

When I was at DEC, my Boss & I often went trap or skeet shooting at Los Altos Rod & Gun during our lunch break. On the occasional Saturday, when we came in early in the morning to do destructive testing without scaring hoi poloi, we often did some combat shooting at the local police range with the Palo Alto & Mountain View police Chiefs, sometimes followed by trap and or skeet at the same range ... We both carried the shotguns and handguns, and ammo, into work just off University Avenue in Palo Alto (rather than leave them in the car). The weapons were locked into gunracks on our office walls, and the ammo was in a locked file drawer. The racks & file cabinets were bolted to the steel wall studs. We carried the keys, not security.

But then, we're sane. You idiots discussing "zombies" as potentially a real threat, maybe not so much ... And no, it's not "funny". Firearms are never "funny" ... IMO, of course.

3. laird cummings
      Thumb Up

"I mean, what kind of workplace (other than a gun shop!) would allow you to display a box of LIVE FUCKING AMMUNITION around the office? "

Minus a gun to fire them, they're more safe than your stapler. And they make dandy conversation-starter paperweights.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

In the US, you could even market dog-turds

As long as you put them on a stick and covered them in chocolate frosting!

1. laird cummings

Re: In the US, you could even market dog-turds

Not quite, though you're close. Gotta deep-fry 'em, first.

Learned that from our buddies in Scotland

4. Sir Runcible Spoon
    Joke

Sir

To anyone not jumping on the "OMG what's that coming over the hill? Is it a zombie?" bandwagon please eff off back to the real world, you're bringing me down. Pisstards.

1. Imsimil Berati-Lahn
      Thumb Up

Re: Sir

Here hear!

5. Bernard M. Orwell

Well...

There's a lot of hypothesising and posturing going on in this thread, let's put your theories to the test.

http://projectzomboid.com/blog/

Down the freebie. Play it. Warning: there is no "Save Game" and there is no "Pause Game".

My personal survival record is 8 days and something hours.

This is how you died....

6. Topperfalkon

Simples...

All you need to do is borrow the HMS Astute. Kick off the possibly infected crew and run a skeleton crew. Only come back to shore when you need food supplies and/or fuel rods.

Oh, and don't let the skipper beach it on a bloody sand bar...

7. Anonymous Coward
    Megaphone

Disgusting...

Probably entirely alone in my view, this being a testosterone fuelled male dominated forum.

I find it deeply alarming that something designed to blow someones brains out is being marketed as a joke - the lines between fantasy and reality have become so blurred, it's damn scary.

This only serves to fuel the american obsession with guns and violence, because quite simply, there are people out there thick enough to believe that zombies exist.

These same deluded individuals are allowed, under American law, to purchase firearms and ammunition.

Say what you like about the lack of freedom we have here across the pond, but the one positive we have - and I hope it stays that way - is we're not a gun-toting nation.

I play FPS games - it's fantasy - but I just cannot advocate such relaxed attitudes toward tools that make it so easy to kill.

It's absurdity - complete and utter madness.

In the USA, the naked body is more offensive than a gun.

How fucking sad.

1. laird cummings
      Trollface

Re: Disgusting...

"In the USA, the naked body is more offensive than a gun.

How fucking sad."

Dude.

Have you SEEN many of our bodies..?!

As for firearms? Well you said it yourself - they're tools. Tools are not disgusting - they're just tools. Learn how to *handle* your tools, and you never need be ashamed of 'em.*

*If you accidentally conflate this semi-intentional double entendre with the thought of naked American bodies, you're on your own - I ain't supplying the brain bleach.

2. Mr Common Sense
      Childcatcher

Re: Disgusting...

Not as sad as your tabloidesque comment.

8. zen1

meh

Plastic tipped hollow points have existed for awhile, however I'm rather puzzled by one irrefutable fact: the 5.56 and the 7.62 Cal rounds are primarily military rounds. Signers and followers of the Geneva Convention have all agreed NOT to use hollow tipped rounds in combat, as they were deemed inhumane. I happen to agree with that and I personally own a couple of 5.56 rifles.

Now, I can understand small caliber (.17, .22 and pistol rounds), because I've narrowly avoided being accosted by gaggles of man eating, zombie Canada Geese. (I don't care what anybody says, they DO have teeth). But I would be remiss if I didn't mention Kamakazi squirrels and the occasional psychopathic raccoon.

Anything over a 9mm pistol round is overkill (pardon the pun). Generally when you hit someone with a high powered FMJ rifle round, or shotgun slug, they're down. This includes zombies, based on recent movie lore.

However, I have to give props to the Hornady marketing folks for coming up with that ploy. I haven't stopped laughing about this for at least 10 minutes.

1. laird cummings

Re: meh

"...5.56 and the 7.62 Cal rounds are primarily military rounds..."

Nope.

They're also known as .223 and .308, respectively. They're VERY common civilian calibers.

9mm is a poor choice for varmint hunting - and is generally considered only marginal when fighting people, come to think of it. Varmint hunting requires accuracy, which generally calls for a long-gun. And in many cases, varmints are exceedingly wary,* which means you need range, as well - meaning the long-gun is now a requirement. .17 and .22 are fine for small varmints, but to take larger critters, you need something with a bit of 'oomph' to it.

*One wonders why?

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.