back to article Cameron's F-35 U-turn: BAE Systems still calls the shots at No 10

So there it is: done. As this is written, defence minister Phillip Hammond is on his feet in the House of Commons, trying to justify the fact that he and his boss, David Cameron, have decided that the Royal Navy's new aircraft carrier (maybe carriers) will not now have any catapults or arrester gear in order to save money. This …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: £57million

Why waste munitions shooting them down? Given the dismal safety record of VTOL aircraft (primarily the Harrier, but including the Yak 38, arguably the V22 and other largely development types) they won't need to shoot them down, merely wait for them to drop out the sky. If the Harrier hadn't been invented in Britain, our papers would have queued up to christen it "the flying coffin" or something similar.

Before anybody reaches for the downvote button, have a look at this link below and question why our idiot government is proposing to buy a kite that combines the most expensive, complex attack aircraft ever developed with VTOL, given the Harrier experience:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Harrier_Jump_Jet_family_losses

Now you can downvote me!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

One could say that hitting a bird isn't really the fault of the plane and

"crashed after being hit by 35mm cannon shells "

"crashed after being hit by a Blowpipe missile"

"crashed into the sea after running out of fuel"

all are a bit unfortunate but not really the fault of the plane

Many of the others where down to poor weather or flying conditions, particularly on carriers. Speaking of which, all the aircraft were operated way beyond their operational limits in the war so you'd expect a few more issues there. Speaking of which again...why did we abandon the FSR1s??? in favour of an all out RAF GR x

Ok so im nit picking here, there does seem to be a lot of issues, all be it many of which didn't appear to be down to the aircraft its self, but you have to admit that as the revisions of the plane moved on, it did get more reliable, according to that list :)

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Harrier loses are double other aircraft type, largely due to the single engine. Nothing compared to helicopter loses however which are 16 more deadly.

The Harrier is flown by the USA, Spain, Italy and India. they don;t hate it either.

1. Pete 2 Silver badge

Over the horizon

The key to understanding this decision (or any government decision, come to that) is that by the time this carrier comes into service and it's shiny new aircraft arrive - either horizontally or vertically - there will have been an election. No government has the ability or will to look further ahead than the next ballot, as they'll either be out of power or have new and more interesting problems to screw up solve. By that time, or even further ahead when/if an enemy emerges that needs the might of an aircraft carrier's planes to defeat it, nobody will remember who decided what (and those who did decide will all be on the boards of various defence companies, anyway) and how to bring them to book.

I expect this decision was not driven by strategic thinking, but by expediency: JFDI or CYA or both. As it is, the chances of a government official being able to outwit a company that's dedicated its existence to squeezing as much money as possible out of it is slight. Even if such a brainiac politician was in the right place at the right time, the defence suppliers only have to wait until the next election for that person to be reshuffled and replaced by someone more "amenable".

2. Fading
    Stop

F18 -seriously?

Damn thing's almost as old as I am. I'd rather invest in UK aerodynamic engineering than some other countries old tech (the export versions will probably be crippled in some way - about as useful as those bloody awacs we were saddled with - if nimrod was given the amount of time those were it would have been a world beater). Defence budget should always be spent at home unless there is a bloody good reason not to.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
      Devil

Re: F18 -seriously?

But it's a known quantity and works bloody well against bearded people on donkeyback.

Or you can buy Russian... a little Su-33, comrade? That would be a show.

2. IanPotter
      Headmaster

The modern F-18E/F Super Hornet first flew in 1995 which is actually quite recent by modern standards.These are not updated early airframes either, the E/F (F being the twin seat version, with the back seat being fully mission capable not just a trainer) but new built with a larger wing, longer fuselage, more powerful engines and modernised avionics.

It replaced a whole slew of other types in the US Navy (including the F14 Tomcat and A6 Intruder) saving them bucket loads in operating costs. Hell they even use them for inflight refueling using buddy packs and the G version adds electronic warfare capabilities.

Useful piece of kit really.

Rafael would also be useful as we could cross train and qualify with the French. What happened to the idea of sharing the carriers with them anyway, they're not going to buy the F35 so no cats kills that idea stone dead.

1. ElReg!comments!Pierre

Re: F18 -seriously? (IanPotter)

What is funny about the Rafale is that IIRC it spawned from the splitting of the pan-european project (the other side giving birth to the Eurofighter). Again IIRC 2 of the main problems that led to the split was that the Rosbifs wanted longer range and the Frogs wanted multirole.

Both resulting projects started at the same time, with the Rafales reaching operation before, costing much less, and, quite ironically, being all over Syria while the Eurofighters lacked range to do anything useful... oh, and addition of proper air-to-ground capability to the latter will be added at a huge cost some time in the future, at which point the Eurofighter will be as capable as the Rafale has been for quite some time now. But hugely more expensive. Design by committee really is a funny thing.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

You cannot launch a fully loaded Rafael off their carrier, though. Not enough steam power.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. ElReg!comments!Pierre

> You cannot launch a fully loaded Rafael off their carrier, though. Not enough steam power.

That's hardly a problem with the plane. Besides, you cannot launch an Eurofighter, fully loaded or otherwise, from any carrier in the world.

The Rafale really is quite a good aircraft. See:

http://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/flight-test-dassault-rafale-rampant-rafale-334383/

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

"Besides, you cannot launch an Eurofighter, fully loaded or otherwise, from any carrier in the world."

Probably not true. If you have enough power to weight any ski-jump aircraft would do. Such as the new Indian carrier, it has a ski-jump and Mig-29's. No cat.

The EF could launch off that. And our new carriers for that matter.

3. IanPotter

"Again IIRC 2 of the main problems that led to the split was that the Rosbifs wanted longer range and the Frogs wanted multirole."

Well that and they needed a carrier capable design as well. Good sense as it turned out...

3. SkippyBing

That would be the Nimrod that was over 10 years and some billions of pounds over budget when it was cancelled, I don't think you could conceivably have given more time to it, ditto the AEW version that was another clusterfuck through trying to do things on the cheap rather than using a suitable airframe for the job.

I'm also not sure why all the knockers are tied up on the age of the F-18, the Super Hornet is only about 10-15 ears old and to be honest aerodynamics hasn't advanced that much in the intervening years, hell the F-35 is in some ways inferior due to the stealth aspect.

As it is we're now tied to a specific aircraft for the future carriers, if they fail we've got two large helicopter carriers. No one's making Harriers any more and they're antiques now anyway in terms of systems and sensors

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

It fulfills Lewis personal agenda and most of the posters have bought it hook, line and sinker.

The rest of the military have looked at the F-35b and seem convinced its the best thing to buy, a UK pilot on PPRUNE who has flown both in simulators is pro-F-35b for a whole host of reasons. The range and payload in practice are not that much different and the flexibility and training saving it offers is massive. The conversion cost was $5billion for both ships, seems like bullshit to me but apparently the US government insisted the UK go through US contractors which added to the cost.

If any version is going to be cancelled due to lack of interest its the C model. The F-35b offers unquiet capabilities and cost savings whereas the C avergage.

5. do the work

Disappointing, ill-thought through and frankly ignorant comment. Have you never heard of comparative advantage http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparative_advantage ?

Of course in the ideal world - which doesn't, never has or will exist - what you say would be true. But in the real world of finite resources, saving money by buying foreign kit like F-18 Super Hornet off an existing production line gives us more money to buy more kit to do more things and/or to better pay our service people.

Viewed rationally, as a slow-growing nation in continued economic decline, we don't actually have the luxury of choice - if, that is, you accept our military effectiveness is still important and a force for good.

3. fLaMePrOoF
    Black Helicopters

I'm reminded of the following quote by Sir Sydney Camm re the demise of the TSR-2 in 1965...

"All modern aircraft have four dimensions: span, length, height and politics. TSR-2 simply got the first three right."

BAE have the fourth dimension pretty much wrapped up where UK defence is concerned :o(

4. jason 7
    Mushroom

So annoyed I've written to my MP

I've asked why is it that the MOD and it's partner in crime BAE is allowed to waste so much money in blatantly obvious scams and bluff calling without any criminal or civil proceedings against them.

Maybe a few more folks should ask a similar question to their MP?

5. Eduard Coli
    Childcatcher

No surprises

This must be that "Industrial Military Complex" that Eisenhower (and I'm sure others) have talked about.

1. Yag

Re: No surprises

This is even worse actually : An Industrial Military Complex Monopoly.

The classic Industrial Military Complex will only petition for more spending, but the competition would keep the prices a bit less ludicrous (heck, we're talking about military procurement!)

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

juggling costs

its ok , any budget overrun can be balanced by supplying ground troops armour made of egg cartons.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Anyone have a clue what an American carrier costs these days? Would it be cheaper to ask for them to add another to the production line than buy this megafiasco?

1. Boris the Cockroach Silver badge
      Flame

about

$9 billion each, but the first one of the new US carriers will cost 16 billion to cover development costs

Given the size of the ship is 100 000 tons and our will be 60 000, they get 40% more ship for about the same price.

But I'm more concerned with BAE systems.

If the Emal launcher is priced at about £200 million by the manufacturer to fit out our ships with, why is BAE charging £2 billion?

Maybe its time to write to your MP, but dont expect a decent answer since BAE offer such well paid directorships to retired politicians.

Alledgedly.

Anyways... us underwater people used to call those ships 'oggle goggle boxes'.... a couple of decent fish in the side and 'oggle goggle oggle goggle oggle goggle'

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: about

Ford class is $16billion at the moment. Which probably means $24bn once its finished.

Per tonne its more expensive, the $9bn is pure speculation

2. Ron1
        Joke

Ahem, UK gets 40% LESS ship, US on the other hand gets 66.7% MORE ship...

Damn those complicated percentage calculations :-)

3. N2

<quote>Anyways... us underwater people used to call those ships 'oggle goggle boxes'</quote>

just what is wrong with "Targets"?

2. This post has been deleted by its author

8. Dave Bell

Meanwhile, in a sensible world down the other leg of the trousers of time...

I write some alternative history fiction about a country which doesn't make dumb procurement mistakes. The AEW is carried by a Zeppelin. The 'planes have great big radial piston engines. The only thing that stops the planned carriers being sunk by that outfit would be the Type 45 destroyer. (And there were carriers at Midway which launched more aircraft than a Type 45 has missiles.)

This is so obviously wrong that even the bad guys in my stories wouldn't be this dumb. (If they were that dumb, the story would be boring.)

At least the RAF still flies Spitfires.

9. Bradley Hardleigh-Hadderchance
    Mushroom

oldredlion and fLaMePrOoF

I do remember the Saudi Corruption scandal that never (or almost never) was.

And Blair - corruption and the worse kind of criminality at the highest levels.

Neatly tucked under the carpet - nothing to see here - move on.

And the TSR-2. Ah yes, the TSR-2.

Look what happened to that.

Then again, take a good look what happened to Concorde...

'nuff said. nudge nudge wink wink........

10. Seanmon
    Stop

Look

The UK armed forces are a job-creation scheme that can fight a bit, if necessary. Get over it.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Look (job creation scheme)

You mean the jobs that are subsidised by the tune of £13,000 a year each by the tax payer?

1. Seanmon
        Flame

Re: Look (job creation scheme)

Yep. Hey, I didn't say I liked it.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

so how many Billions of £££ for 3 HMS OCEAN's ???

why the F##k piss 6 billion + on CRAP helocopter carriers ???

personnaly i'd tell the yanks to piss off and come back in 30 years when the F35 is actually airworthy and safe to fly, unlike the F22 currently and the alpha version of the F35 as it currently stands.

It took them 40 years to get the OSPREY flying properly (its still liable to scorch the foundations of the helipad and fall out of the sky on occasion, much like the flybywire Chinooks (how much was wasted on that stupid sci-fi upgrade)))

Sake the lot of them.

the next government will undoubtedly be Labour, as 'none on the above' wont be added to the election forms till after 2020...

maybe when the get in they might junk the idiotik decisions that were pushed on the condemned by the yanks, looking to offload all the over the top sprialing costs that they are facing with all these blue sky projects (which will all be scrapped when the USA goes bancrupt)

oh and for the cost they could have just bought 3 Nimitz Class super carriers right off the shelf...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: so how many Billions of £££ for 3 HMS OCEAN's ???

HMS OCEAN cost something less that £400million, its a cheap, short lifetime, slow stop gap.

1. LPF

Is a good thing you posted AC, HMS Ocean is a perfect helicopter carrier without the usual defence mark up, yes it may have a shorter lifespan, but even building another will cost less thn having the defence filth getting their fingers in!

2. KLein

Well if you think our stuff is shit, tell your MoD to buy Chinese.

12. Bradley Hardleigh-Hadderchance
    Thumb Up

Lewis got the hook

Excellent interview Lewis. A bit brief. A bit candid.

If you had been on the Benny Hill show there would have been a hook incoming from stage right that would have caused you to grimace in a trying-not-to-look-embarrassed fashion, legs a waddling in a shuffle style, until you were not so subtly disposed of.

How to make Evan gibber in under 3 minutes or whatever it was.

Not sure if that is a world record but I laughed out loud. I really did.

13. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Unhappy

Remember there is *price* and *cost*

What will an EM catapult cost?

A hell of a lot less than what BAe will soak HMG for.

Despite something like 18000 staff in MoD procurement (a whole office blocks worth outside Bristol IIRC) it seems *none* of them could make even a BOTE cost estimate on this.

And let's not forget that nice piece of change BAe will be expecting from its subsidiary Dettica when the UK net snoop plan starts rolling.

14. arrbee
    Meh

I expect the Americans are pleased to have us tilt the balance on the viability of their F-35B project - they know our government, of whichever stripe, wont switch to something else even if they deliver 5 years late and 50% over-budget.

I wonder if any of the senior folk involved with the F-35B over there will find some way of thanking those who achieved this result.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

The crucial parts of the F-35B design are British (Rolls Royce and BAE etc). So if there delays the Uk is just as responsible.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

BAE =

BAE = Billions Above Estimate

1. hplasm
      Pint

Re: BAE =

This is for you :)

<-----

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

How many elections to go before these carriers are built and equipped?, somehow I doubt if they will ever be operational with or without catapults before someone scraps them?

1. Jason Hindle

Frightening isn't it

The design hasn't fundamentally altered from the end of WWII but it takes twenty years to build one, if it's being built in Britain.

1. jason 7
        FAIL

Re: Frightening isn't it

Imagine if the UK had to go into a WW2/conventional war type scenario now and ramp up its armaments to cope.

20 years to bring a carrier online?? Back in the 40's they could draw an aircraft or warship up on paper and have it in the air or water within 2 years.

Whats gone seriously wrong since? I dont think you can say technology cos the Spitfire was cutting edge for them and many of the modern avionic systems can be off the shelf.

Oh hang on BAE would say you had to reconfigure all the off the shelf systems from scratch.

So off the shelf avionics - £5 million - BAE reconfig - £195 million - BAE refitting excercise - £234 million - BAE modification/refresh due to 10 year delay - £500 milion........and so on

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"Imagine if the UK had to go into a WW2/conventional war type scenario now and ramp up its armaments to cope."

The plan would be to convert container vessels into carriers. They did this in the Falklands with three ships in weeks. By using certain designs (Maersk commercial container ships,with sufficient flat top area and the bridge at the back) you get a workable solution. The US is perusing this concept which stem from the Falklands (Afloat Forward Staging Bases)

http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=14390.0

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

its actually quite simple

Greed

any other business that operates on a bidding program usually operates like this.

Customer - I want this, how much will it cost

Manufactures - I bid this much

Customer - your the best deal, get on with it

Manufacture - well thanks but that's now going to cost twice as much and run 3 years late

Customer - go fuck yourself and every day your late im changing you £10,000

Manufacture, (A, pulls out and gets fined for wasting our time or B, takes the hit themselves for being frigging idiots.)

yes politicians have a habit of changing what they want, but the point still stands, WTF are we doing getting people to bid for something then letting them get away with ramping up the costs because they placed a bid that was too low and late because they placed a bid that was too soon...

3. The Baron

Back in the 40's they could draw an aircraft or warship up on paper and have it in the air or water within 2 years.

Hard to think of a ship of even vaguely comparable complexity, but perhaps we could take the magnificent HMS Vanguard, the last British battleship, as a reasonable theoretical example?

The basics of Vanguard's design came from the Lion class in 1939. The ship was ordered in 1941. It was launched for initial trials in 1944 but did not enter service until 1946. This despite the fact that its main armament was not built from scratch as originally planned but taken from spares left over from the conversion of other battleships to aircraft carriers.

So that's seven years from design to commission despite being based on an existing design, taking its primary armament components off-the-shelf, and being given "A1" top priority for wartime production by the government.

Alas, I think your two years from drawing board to dock may be wishful thinking.

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

A lot to agree with in this article

However, I don't think the B variant is necessarily a bad choice. A worse/less effective choice? Most definitely but I suspect the aircraft itself could still be very effective in the roles required of it. There is a real issue that affects all aircraft carriers though and that is anti ship ballistic missiles made by bad governments and sold to other friendly bad governments. Unless effective ways of dealing with these are found, I think the modern, large aIrcraft carrier will join the battleship.

1. SkippyBing

Re: A lot to agree with in this article

As opposed to airfields which are really good at hiding from ballistic missiles...

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like