back to article Ten... Kitchen Gadget Treats

Reg Hardware Gizmo Week logo small Most of us actually have more gadgets in the kitchen than anywhere else in the house. And looking at the list here, it’s easy to see why. There are gizmos for every conceivable task, from opening a tin of beans to knocking up a homemade Scotch broth. Most of the gizmos here are genuinely …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. jake Silver badge

Re: Daily bread

You're not going to get proper focaccia out of the pan of a bread machine. That shape of loaf is not focaccia, nor will a proper focaccia recipe bake properly in a bread machine. It's a hydration & bakers percentage thingie. If you're using the machine to mix and proof the loaf, and then do the final form by hand & bake in a proper oven (preferably on a stone!), I apologize.

On the other hand, you can get a KitchenAid 600 Professional for under US$300, if you know where to look (factory refurb). I find that making dough with the mixer makes for less commotion in the home kitchen than a bread machine. The cleanup is easier, too, IMO, although this might be subjective.

I make pasta, dumpling and biscuit (scone) dough in an aging Cuisinart ... Gift from my MIL. Only things I use the silly contraption for ;-)

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

£145 for a toaster?

I'd want Talkie Toaster for that, hang on maybe not.

And a "big fridge", come on guys.

My beer fridge is bigger than that.

2. andy mcandy
    Trollface

i quite like nescafe alta rica

too much effort arsing about with "real" coffee, especially at work or home :)

3. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

22 quid for a wine temperature gauge?

I managed to pick up something that looks pretty identical from Deal Extreme for a couple of quid. Works fine as well.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Fridge

Knives and the Fridge for me.

Living in a shared house with a crap fridge for 4 years. As soon as I've got my own place decent Fridge is first thing that's coming my way!

As for Coffee I'm going to put it out there. I love instant Coffee. Definitely the more expensive ones not the cheap ones.. Not that much of a fan of poncey filter coffee. To be fair though that may just be because no where and no one actually makes it well in the UK. If I have to drink it I have a Latte which is often luke warm with burnt milk, rather than just luke warm with burnt coffee...

5. CraigW

imperia blades

But does the Imperia have plastic blades?? They are pish compared to the good old steel ones that they used to use.

6. 0laf
    FAIL

£140 to make some soup! FFS get a £10 pot (or wok even) and a £3 hand blender job done.

And don't get me started on toasters. Who makes one deep enough to do 4 slices of Scottish plain bread in one go? Best bread for toast ever and you can't fit it in the fricking things.

7. Andus McCoatover
    Windows

Didn't any of you folks get married???

Absolutely vital wedding prezzie is a slow-cooker. It's a MUST-HAVE! (I love mine, use it weekly. Not microprocessor-controlled hence lack of IT icon)

After a few years, you'll also need a small child to assist.

This'll explain:

http://peasandthankyou.com/2010/04/08/defeating-the-purpose/

(It's excellent food, by the way - one of my hobbies)

1. jake Silver badge

Re: Didn't any of you folks get married???

Got two as wedding presents. Re-gifted both unused.

My slow-cooker is a fire-brick lined pit in the yard off my kitchen.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like