back to article BOFH: Dawn raid on Fort BOFH

bofh_pic You know, sometimes I wish someone just had the balls to say they want a new iPad cos it looks cool. That they have no clue of what the f$*# they’d use it for, but their kids think they’re great and they can’t be stuffed forking out the money themselves for one so they figure the company should just get one and …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

And they never seem to be compatible with the good old clattery PS2 keyboards.

1. Daniel B.
    Go

An HP Jornada

The one time I had one "assigned" by my employer, was because we got a handful of Jornadas from one of those boxes.

But hey, that one had useful stuff like:

- a SCSI PCI card

- internal SCSI cable

- DDS4 DAT drive

- a Palm Tungsten

some other stuff, but those are the ones that we actually used.

2. Alien Doctor 1.1
    Boffin

"Corporate Wasting-Money-on-Pointless-Shit"

That immediately reminded me of the Onion News Network report "Sony Releases Stupid Piece Of Shit That Doesn't Fucking Work" - a classic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AyVh1_vWYQ

Thanks for the memories.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: "Corporate Wasting-Money-on-Pointless-Shit"

YEAH over the top!

3. Will Godfrey Silver badge
    Happy

All so true, absolutely. What is more, I bet if you took a look around where you are sitting right now, you'd find your own similar accumulations of crud.

4. IT Hack
    Pint

Zip Drives. Now there was a complete waste of money and time.

Nothing better than a post pub pint.

5. Admiral Grace Hopper

I still keep a reel-to-reel tape kicking around to scare the youngsters with. I used to laugh at the old fart who kept a reel of punch-tape for similar purposes. I am horribly aware of what I have become. And why was there no Centronics lead in the box? Surely everyone has one of those somewhere?

1. Anonymous IV
      Thumb Up

It was a card day's night...

I still have about three trays of unpunched punch cards. They're bound to come in useful for making notes on.

6. jon 72
    Thumb Up

Lest we forget..

All the assorted junk that used to perch on top of the old crt monitors, oh the tears throughout the office when the IT dept upgraded everybody to flat screen and made the sylvanian families homeless. The following morning I was screaming as over two hundred assorted furry critters, gonks and small teddy bears re-appeared in my office with a post-it note asking for asylum. I've still got them lurking in several boxes.

7. Frumious Bandersnatch
    Windows

"turd divination"

I'm sure there's a word for that. I'm guessing "scatomancy".

What I'm sincerely hoping for is that there's also an app for that.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

help in front of the buss

I'd like to help muppets when they are standing near the 3 phase electrical buss!

sarc... okay okay

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

8 1.5" floppies.

Every day I use em Bay-Beeeeee! img205.imageshack.us/img205/5342/pict0007lj.jpg

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: 8 1.5" floppies.

Oh I see I fucked up on the de(st/s)(c/r)(u/i)ption 8.5" floppy

"the program in that photo is called "pagination" is what runs off that particular disc I tooked the photo off of. She runs on the 2x @ dual 8.5" floppy drives (what does that take up 3'?) + the CPU box, iut's a laundrymat of power sucking hell for floppy disk0rz. Wee ha ha.

2. Decius
      Trollface

Re: 8 1.5" floppies.

Security violation! That visitor isn't wearing his badge!

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I work for a WEEE waste/refurbishment company

so I see a lot of your old junk. We've had half a dozen Mac Classics with failed safety test stickers, an Epson HX-20, couple of CUB monitors for the BBC Micro, a sealed set of Windows 3.11, a boxed set of MS Office 4.2 (somebody actually bought that on eBay), Token Ring cards, a fossil record through the ages of tape backup drives, a PPC640, a Compaq Portable III, a fecking great LED sign panel and of course lots more.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I work for a WEEE waste/refurbishment company

re: eBay

You would be surprised from your list of what would go on eBay.

Certainly the Mac Classics and Cub monitors, once listed as spares/repair would have high interest...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Me again. We have a member of staff who mostly does eBay- we're getting through it, slowly!

2. Isendel Steel
      Joke

....and a cuddly toy.......and a sandwich maker.....

11. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Trollface

Emptying the backroom cupboard.

Well I just finished taking apart a HP laptop with nonfunctional screen, two ACERs about to fall apart and a DELL Inspiron from before the war with fully dead batteries.

I now have a large bag of metal/pastic/mainboard/cabling/screws trash as well as an assortment of loose CPUs, TFT screens, harddisks [the 20GB IBM Travelstar from the DELL rattles, so I think the heads aren't properly parked], RAM SODIMMs, two WiFi modules and an ATI Rage module of 2001. As well as a Li-Ion battery packs.

The recycling center beckons.

Can I do anything useful with the WinXP/Win2K keys?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Emptying the backroom cupboard.

Not legally (have a look at the Microsoft Registered Refurbisher scheme if you want to sell old machines with genuine Windows), and there are better ways to pirate it (pilfer a genuine volume key from work/school).

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Emptying the backroom cupboard.

You appear to have described my office.

12. skeptical i
    Happy

No SyQuest disks?

Before Zip, there was SyQuest: 5-3/16ths inch cartridges (the actual disks are ~5.25") that weigh almost a pound each and contained a whopping 44MB of data (they got up to 200MB last I knew, before Zip walked 'em off the portable storage market plank and into the briny deep).

Also, how about a "mouse" that has the ball under the thumb instead of underneath (Kensingtom, I think)? No potential tendonitis issues there, no sirree.

"Superfloppies" that could somehow store much more data than the average floppy but required a superfloppy drive else they'd be written upon like a "regular" floppy and any superness removed therefrom.

Various scanners, from then-top-of-the line Sony beasties with a big fat SCSI connexion to the cheap-jack free-with-a-purchase USB connected ones.

I don't suppose there's any way to quickly strip old power/ connector cables of their casings and harvest the copper within, is there. Damn.

Punch cards: my dad always had a stack of 'em on his desk and I always liked making more holes in 'em. Oops.

1. Andy 115

Re: No SyQuest disks?

I don't suppose there's any way to quickly strip old power/ connector cables of their casings and harvest the copper within, is there. Damn.

----

A friend was offered a machine only last week for doing just that!

Apparently it worked on the principal of chopping the cable into very short lengths (approx 0.5mm long) then vibrating (I think) to separate the PVC from the copper, depositing each in a container, copper for weighing in, PVC for making into traffic cones IIRC.

He was offered it for a couple of grand.

13. elgeebar

@skeptical i... "I don't suppose there's any way to quickly strip old power/ connector cables of their casings and harvest the copper within, is there."

Electricians used to save their scrap cable then have a bonfire before taking it to the scrapie... Obviously frowned upon these days due to the billowing clouds of noxious smoke it creates... most scrapie's I've dealt with recently, will take insulated copper so don't worry about it.

14. Wombling_Free
    Thumb Up

So you HAVE met my clients...

"a rat-eating madman who also publishes horoscopes based on turd divination."

It's amazing how much money one can make in the turd divination field, especially if you can get a daily column in an Evil-Empire fishwrapper! (don't say his name! he'll buy the reg out!)

15. Marshalltown
    Thumb Up

The box

I built my son's first and second computers out of that box. All I bought new was a case. For an OS I used PC-DOS 3.?, and it worked fine for playing X-wing and TIE Fighter.

16. Meph
    Coffee/keyboard

IT Archaeology

I see your box of random ancient IT gear, and raise you a matched pair of 512Mb EDO RAM in original packaging, _with_ the original installation instructions no less.

They were salvaged along with an ancient file server with 8 x 25Gb SCSI disks that had regrettably not survived their mothballing experience.

17. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Whats in The Box?

Todays box brings forth a brand new in box 1981 HP Barcode Wand.

Not much of a market for these on fleabay I bet. Might be best kept as an antique.

18. This post has been deleted by its author

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like