back to article IT guy answers daughter's Facebook rant by shooting her laptop

An angry American IT pro has responded to a rude Facebook post from his daughter by riddling her laptop with a fusillade of bullets and posting video of the shooting on YouTube. Here it is, with the incensed dad leading in by reading out the offending Facebook post and offering a few points in response before emptying his . …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Anonymous Coward

Q. Why Americans need guns?

A. To protect themselves from other Americans.

Happy

No, we have them to protect ourselves from anonymous cowards and criminals who think what we have they should have.

UK

Didn't the crime rate go up in the UK when the new anti gun laws came into effect?

Boffin

Actually, gun and violent crime remained constant, no increase or decrease.

Big Brother

@AC 12:47

The right to bear arms is enshrined in the US constitution to protect the freedom of the people.

I accept that the Dep't of Homeland Security is eroding that freedom rather too much, but over-ambitious rulers are kept in check by the thought of an armed populace.

Why do you think our ruling elite here in the UK are so vehemently opposed to any kind of arming of the electorate?

Concern for our well-being? - If so, it would be the first time ever!

To save us from ourselves? - see comment above!

To ensure that armed bad guys can't hurt us? - ask any cop involved in Trident how effective that is.

To prevent a serious rising by a pissed-off electorate? - getting warmer!

bringing guns to a carpetbomb fight

See, the gun laws were enacted when government oppressors would have been using guns as well. The guns won't protect you against government oppression now; they have microwave weapons, tanks, rocket launchers, B52s for carpet bombing...... your 45 magnum is going to feel VERY inadequate...

Silver badge
FAIL

RE: Not That Andrew

Oops! Looks like you forgot to read the news before preforming your perjudices:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/1440764.stm

You may also want to know that Germany has a lower number of guncrimes per head of population than the UK, despite having less stringent gun laws. Then again, you've probably spent a long time avoiding any such truths.

This post has been deleted by its author

Re: RE: Not That Andrew

I stand by my point. Gun and violent crime have remained constant in the UK. Gun crime only increased 40% in the 2 years following the gun ban if you consider arrests for possessing a previously legal weapon. Aside from those, there has been no statistically significant change since 1997.

Re: Re: RE: Not That Andrew - I was wrong, they did decrease

Actually I was wrong in my above posts, but not in the way you believe. Firearms offences have actually decreased.

I found some more up to date and comprehensive statistics. From 2005/6 to 2010/11 it would appear that firearm offences in England and Wales have decreased from 11,088 to 7,024. If you include airguns which most official statisticss include by default, the decrease is from 24,094 in 2003/4 to 11,227 in 2010/11

see http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/publications/science-research-statistics/research-statistics/crime-research/hosb0212/ (pdf warning)

Thumb Up

A real-life, Texan version of

Red Foreman.

My imaginary huge Stetson is off to this gent.

Big Brother

That'll learn her

I wonder if he backed it up before installing Microsoft hollow point? :D

Silver badge
Devil

The 45 was missed out, sadly.

From the Windows toolbox article...

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/02/09/windows_tools_of_the_trade_not_always_best_for_the_job/

Silver badge
Coffee/keyboard

Microsoft Hollow Point

Genius sir :-)

Thumb Down

Seems overreacting runs in the family.

Seems overreacting runs in the family.

Thumb Up

As a supporter of gun control,

I really think he should have used a chainsaw!

Looks like he hit his target just fine, so I'd say he had perfectly good gun control.

I think it was way overreacting, though, and it'll be completely ineffective unless he also homeschools her and imprisons her in the house - because this could easily be the catalyst for running away, and now any adult friends that she may have know to hide her from her parents.

Silver badge

Metal dulls the chain and then it takes about an hour to properly sharpen it again.

If you're against such things as home protection, I would suggest a sledgehammer instead.

Just saying....

:)

Nah

That would dull the hell out of the teeth on the chain and you'd spend HOURS re-sharpening it. Chain sharpening is a royal pain in the baskside (at least for me).

Coat

@ Armando

I know the chain needs to be clenched tightly but you really shouldn't be using your backside.

Linux

Plenty of other farm tools available.

> If you're against such things as home protection, I would suggest a sledgehammer instead.

A common kitchen knife or a pitchfork also does nicely.

Although I heard that the Brits also want to do away with proper kitchen knives too...

@Hermes Conran:

Given that grouping, I'd say his gun control is pretty damned good.

This bloke thinks he can get respect by force.

What a twit.

Silver badge

Hello?

This is what <insert your government here> does already.

RE: This bloke thinks he can get respect by force

His kids, his rules!

Looking at the number of parents who are allowing their kids to go running round rioting and causing real public disturbance its nice to see a parent taking the job seriously!

My parents would have have killed it with fire as we are in the UK and didn't have guns but had an open fireplace, and rightly so, disrespecting ones parents publicly in like this deserves a severe reaction, mainly because my parents (and clearly this guy felt the same) would like to think they had bought me up better than that!!

If you have kids then ......

....... they must be the obnoxious little shits popped out by liberals, you know the kind, when you are anywhere public and the brat is throwing the almightiest of strops all the parent does is say 'Tarquin, we have discussed this before and you know these actions create friction which will not aid in the resolution of your current displeasure of not being able to fill the trolley with sweets'

From what he stated in the video he had punished her previously for similar actions and said if carried out again the punishment would be worse. Judging by the daughters post it seems she doesn't have any respect already. As for getting it by force? Not so, he was merely being inventive in the way he carried out the punishment. I come from one of the last generations where punishment was a fair few hard whacks on the arse from my dad (now that was punishment applied with force), and I have nothing but the upmost respect for him.

"From what he stated in the video he had punished her previously for similar actions and said if carried out again the punishment would be worse."

So instead of, for example, blocking access to Facebook on her laptop (he works in IT right?) he decided to go for the violent, destructive, solution.

Anonymous Coward

"His kids, his rules!"

Is this a Joseph Fritzl quote?

Dear Bill, it is obvious .....

.... that you have no understanding of IT, because you think just blocking shit works so well. Never heard of web proxies? Tor? For feck sake even GoTo on a friends pc would easily pass any local blocks. Maybe it is because he works in IT that he knew blocking would be useless.

Anonymous Coward

@ Eradicate all BB entrants

He could disable internet access altogether. Not difficult.

Ummm...

..... which worked so well in Libya and is currently doing a fantastic job in Syria. Oh wait .....

Can I have another?

@AC

Harsh but funny :D

Anonymous Coward

I don't understand how this is comparable to Libya or Syria, but it appears that you're suggesting that where the regimes went wrong is that they should have shot the protestors' laptops.

@AC will complete lack of understanding .....

.... I really don't understand if I would be replying to the same person or many different AC's, how can I tell? Whilst sitting there with an AC tag and Guy Fawkes mask are you that concerned for your anonimity that you can't use a handle as a name to post?

Me? I have a handle so all the other lovely reg posters can look at my history and really see how batshit loco I am.

Back to your point, the comparison was in regards to the effectivness of cutting communications access. It didn't bloody work.

Silver badge
FAIL

FacebookIS blocked on her laptop.

Permanently.

Silver badge

Bah!

No, he has a 15 year old and knows he'll won't have her respect for a good few years yet. It's not about respect, at least, not yet it isn't. It's a learning experience, and a valuable one.

What he wants is for her to understand that actions have consequences, even on the "consequence free" internet (where people can and do say anything they feel so much as a momentary impulse to share) and that the consequence of bad-mouthing her parents in a public forum can be quite bad for someone who is living on charity.

I doubt he expects this to stop her internet usage - after all most libraries have internet connected terminals these days - but it has put a serious crimp in her style in front of her friends.

Most of the crybaby posters here clearly have never actually raised a mardy-arsed teen and think they are just "small adults".

And as for the deadly weapon usage, note how far back from anywhere this took place. Note that the laptop was positioned so the possibility of live ordinance going on to damage something else in the neighbourhood were so minimal as to be negligible (hollow point rounds would be fragments by the time they got through shredding the chassis - those tiny holes aren't what is killing this machine - and any that made it out the other side would simply end up in the soil).

Lastly, kids understand force when they don't understand the ethics of reasonable behaviour. No-one has been physically harmed here.

Nice!

"aforementioned enpopment of caps in the hapless laptop"

Nice!

So basically

A "cappedtop"?

Hmmm...

Come America, solving every problem with a gun? It's getting boring now, be a bit more inventive.

Personally I like thermite. Unfortunately that's getting a little popular too.

How about covering it in blood and going shark fishing?

Silver badge

Maybe...

Wait until winter, wehn it;s really cold. Cut a block of ice from the nearest river/pond. Place the laptop on the block of ice. Place the thermite on the laptop. Retire to a safe distance and light electronically (or use a magnesium ribbon fuse and run fast).

If anyone isn't aware of the interesting reaction between thermite and ice, google the Mythbusters episode involved...

Silver badge

Bah!

An excellent and practical suggestion sir, with just two minor problems:

First, it doesn't get that cold in Winter, to judge by the pictures. My first hint was the shirtsleeve motif of the video.

Second He probably hasn't got any thermite to hand, but demonstrably does have a .45 automatic.

Paris Hilton

Judging by his accent, they live in an area where rivers and/or ponds don't freeze enough to cut a block of ice from... But that doesn't mean he can't go to the nearest ice retailer and get a nice big block of man-made ice.

Paris, cuz I'd like to see her reaction laying on a block of ice...

Thumb Up

Awesome!

A nominee for parent of the century! Its really is refreshing to see someone taking action against their snotty nosed , whiney ass offspring.

Someone get that man some bacon!

Really?

The guy is a total, abject failure as a father.

Also can't count his own bullets...

Lol!

Not many parents on this forum, as I can see by the downvotes :-P

FAIL

It's the other way

Vladimir - Not may Irresponsible parents on this forum, as I can see by the downvotes on your post.

@fishman

Responsible parents are concerned with bringing up their children, not with looking for sympathy by complaining to the world about their own failure to do so.

You've missed it ...

He wasn't looking for sympathy, nor complaining to the world ... his intended audience was his daughter and perhaps a number of the teenage frinds to whom she undoubtedly bragged about her video rant ... the world was just invited along for an enjoyable ride.

Really

He is possibly working like slave, if you actually listen to what he says, he had a nightmare as a teen, working and studying in 2 schools and a charity.

Spend 16 years for a person who wants to act like an imaginary Britney (since Britney too worked like a slave too) and right after upgrading her laptop and possibly buy some high end security software to save it from her own idiotic usage scheme, read what she has written about you, her parents to get thumbs up.

The part he is really mad is the daughter referring a poor worker without a name, 'cleaning lady'.

Another thing people seems to miss is he refers to his wife and says she told him to fire one for her too. So, this is really controlled violence against an object, decided by parents.

I know very rich, highly educated, elite people who would force their son, daughter to some luxury asylum middle of nowhere for a lot less, for months. Of course, as they don't have that accent or a gun, it is acceptable.

Anonymous Coward

Hero!

Kids are not always the lovely little cherubs that Granny sees at weekends, they can be right sods at times!

I remember my old man cut the plug of the family micro ( a Dragon 32! ) for two weeks once to teach me a lesson and I had to earn it back. This gent is a hero and I salute him!

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2017