back to article Virtual sanity: How to get a grip on your home PCs

Virtualisation can have a role in the home computing environment. Personal computers are kind of crap at migrating (or duplicating) your settings, applications and data from one system to another. Virtualisation can remove some of this grief. In the consumer space, Windows PCs come preloaded with crapware. The shiny new …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Aqua Marina

Hmmmmm

What VM software are you running, and how many guest OSs can it host at a time.

Using Dual Screen RDP, how did you get aroudn windows either opening up smack between the pair of them (half on each screen) or even opening up spread across both fullscrees?

1. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

Software: Windows Server 2008 R2 / hyper-v.

I used to use esxi, but went to hyper-v after the licence change. Now my vhost is not only a vhost, it is an htpc as well. (Hooked up to my projector). The thing plays a 1080p video on the projector whilst the PlexServer VM is transcoding 2 720p videos for other members of the house to watch and still serves our personal virtual machines just fine. Total hardware cost: $750.

I absolutely adore Sandy Bridge.

As to dual screen RDP; the issues you mentioned have not been sol ed. When you access the VM from so many different devices, the windows will end up in odd places on the next device.

I wish I had a better solution; I hear Windows 7 has much better multimon support than XP.

I should check that out some time...

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. mikejs
    Meh

multi-screen?

I'm also interested in how multi-screen RDP works in practice for this sort of thing. Is it two separate windows, one for each monitor, or is it one really wide window? If the latter, then it's not very good solution - it's impossible to maximise to one monitor, for example.

I have two primary systems (work and home). One has two screens, the other three. Each has various tweaks to ensure that particular apps go to particular screens, and as the number of screens is different, these are different tweaks on each system.

This is a specific example of the more general case of sometimes needing app and OS configs specific to the device you're trying to use, and having the same settings everywhere is actually a problem, not a benefit.

1. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

http://www.windows7hacker.com/index.php/2010/02/how-to-use-dual-monitors-in-remote-desktop-session-on-windows-7/

3. Zippy the Pinhead
    Happy

2 thumbs up!

Two thumbs up to the author for suggesting Classic Shell! A most excellent replacement for the crap that is foisted on us in Windows 7.

4. Gordon Fecyk
    WTF?

Yet another piece of third-party "required knowledge?"

"shiny new notebook comes out of its box and goes straight onto the bench for a quick memtest, dban, and a clean reinstall of the operating system."

I use Ghost for this but I suppose any imaging application will work including the provided ImageX. Win7's a dream compared to XP for preloading drivers.

And Ninite? Yet another "everyone administering Windows needs to use this?" msiexec /i installer.msi /passive works for me, assuming the developer bothered to use the damn installer built into Windows to package it. I've given up on developers who don't bother to learn how to use the OS instead of fight against it. *ahem*oracle*

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like