back to article iPhone 4S is for failures who work in coffee shops - Samsung

Not content with the trans-continental patent lawsuits, Samsung have struck another blow at Apple. This time somewhere it might hurt - its branding. A new TV ad for the Samsung Galaxy SII showing from today in the States sticks it directly to the iPhone, by suggesting that the Jesus mobe is an over-hyped pricey status toy for …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Thumb Up

I love my Apple products...

...but that Samsung sure looks the business.

I don't get the hate from either side, It's good that manufacturers are competing like this, it's better for everybody,

Stop

the best device is the one you like using

I was a Blackberry user for years, then moved to the iPhone.

Plenty of things annoy me about the iPhone but overall I like it far more than the 'berry.

I tried other stuff, including Android, and it was missing something FOR ME.

Either the build was not good, or the screen not nice, or too big, phone not clear enough - overall, I couldn't find an Android device I enjoyed using OVERALL.

Not about being a conformist, on the contrary, I love supporting the underdog, as long as the underdog has something special that can enhance my day by day life.

I think Microsoft may have a chance against the iPhone with their new paradigm UI in Windows 7.5 Mango, it's a fresh approach.

I'll let fanbois be fanbois and go back to my 4S.

I upgraded from a 3GS (that I used the hell out of and it still looks like new) and I really like the new phone.

No battery issues, I get easily 2x the life of my 3GS.

The screen is incredible.

The graphics speed way better than any other phone out there (for the Android fanbois, why don't you check out some benchmarks and some actual games).

The upgrade process was as seamless as possible, all automated.

It's not just the device - it's everything supporting the device.

The only thing I'd change?

I still don't like the fact that it's essentially 2 pieces of glass with a metal spacer in between.

Unless you have a case it will break with a high degree of certainty if it falls on something hard.

D

Same here

Couldn't call myself a "fanboi" by any degree.

Exclusively used Nokia's in the late 90's/Early 2000s because I was used to their menu and predictive text system.

Switched to an LG Viewty when they came out as they looked cool - hated the phone in the end due to the insensitivity of the touch pad.

Sampled a number of other smart phones and finally settled on a iPhone 3GS as it seemed to do everything I wanted with the least amount of hassle FOR ME.

Due for an upgrade next month – might just take a free phone off o2’s hands and either give it away as an Xmas present or stick it on eBay. Nothing wrong with my current phone, and I’ve got a iPod dock on my car radio that allows me to use the iPod and Sat Nav on the phone through the car radio.

I don’t understand the “hatred” that both sets of fans have against each other. Get a life!

Anonymous Coward

Where are the hipsters?

Dunno, I love my iPhone but I'm also an engineer, I don't use hair product, and I wear trainers almost all the time. I don't know how everybody got the impression that iPhone/Apple users are all lazy hipsters--maybe because of all those Justin Long commercials? I know a handful of actual hipsters and none of them have iPhones. Actually they all have late-model Android phones now that I think about it.

Anonymous Coward

This is about as annoying as Apple's "I'm a Mac" and "I'm a PC" commercials, and for the exact same reasons.

People have different needs when it comes to phones. I don't care that some people like Apple products, they're normally the type that cares more about how the phone looks than what the processor speed is. Why would anyone want to be a snob about that? The cult of Apple is weird, but they're not bothering me.

These comments have been the best bit

Thanks everyone.

--posted from my Pre 3

If you want people to switch...

...you don't insult your intended audience. That's Samsung's biggest mistake with this ad.

That said, I had a 3GS, upgraded to the 4S.

I've seen numerous Android phones, and have yet to see any with the dpi resolution of the iPhone 4/4S screen (though I'll admit, in polls, most people tend to care more about physical screen size than pixel depth, so Samsung has, from a marketing standpoint, the "right" idea hyping their physically larger screen - end result is they have a pitch point that plays on their audience's ignorance).

Some brands lock you into a specific version of the Android software with no upgrade route (whereas Apple will let you upgrade as many times as the phone is capable). Some brands are heavily DRM'd (at least Apple will allow you to load any video or song you wish). At least you know what you're getting with an iPhone.

Anonymous Coward

This ad changes nothing (but it's funny)

No android user is ever cool. This is because the only reason you buy one of these is because either (a) you're hung up on the OS, (b) you don't appreciate good design or (c) you're poor. These are all uncool traits. Cool people have iphones because they (a) don't care about the friggin' OS (b) do appreciate good design and (c) have money. Now if you've followed this far without hanging up you'll realise that acoording to rule (a), apple fanbois are uncool too. That's why this is a good ad. It's telling the truth, which is that simply having an iphone does not make you cool.

Thumb Up

@ Nicho

Good analysis.

Meh

yawn

just another device, and another "i'm better than you" run of childish advertising.

Fail Samsung.

not exactly "winning hearts and minds" there are we?

Trollface

Meh, they both suck donkey balls.

I'll wait till my contract is due for upgrade and get the HTC Zeta instead. Either that or whatever phone has the best internals at the time.

As for the whole 'merican' yuppie revival, screw that I would rather spend my money on doing fun stuff that trying to always have the latest fad.

Stop

I think that sums up

what everyone with half a brain already knew.

Exclusive mighnight launches, hype and fashion does not make a great phone. TECHNOLOGY does.

crying wolf

Apple have spent many years looking down their noses at alternative brands. Fanbois should stop their moaning that they're getting some crap thrown back.

And where's my fekkin coffee?

Marketing fun

Good heavens - you chaps (mostly chaps, I suspect) take your shiny toys rather seriously don't you? I really can't imagine how sad you'd need to be to line up to buy a phone - redefines the expression. I think the advert quite justifiably took the piss out of such patently needy, juvenile behaviour.

Yes, Apple products are lovely, this is being written on a MacBook Pro and the phone in my pocket is indeed an old iPhone 3Gs, but you babies really need to get out more (actually, preferably less, I hate tripping over you while you stumble along the street gazing at your phone with rapt adoration).

Facepalm

well...

...4 million mugs out there will to fund more of granny smiths latest...

oops...

will = willing

iPhone

Apple have sold the iPhone largely on "Image" and "lifestyle", and accusations of pretentiousness go with that territory. If you are too fashionable and end up believing in your own image, somebody will blow a big rasberry sooner or later, which is what samsung have sone in this ad. Apple should probably take it in good humour.

I have never used a smartphone.

Meh

They're just playing Apple's game

It's really just a straightforward & opportunistic swipe at Apple's somewhat increasing difficulties with the launch of new products, which is inevitable considering the demand and the competitive landscape in this market now. It's just like an old Mac v. Windows advert - fair, critical, highlights faults and plays on insecurities. In the end, people will buy what suits them - whether for features or dreams.

WTF?

My two pennorth

2 years ago I took out an iPhone contract. Happy with the phone, did all I wanted it to do. I recently renewed my contact and opted for a Samsung Galaxy S2 this time. I figured if I was tying myself into a new 24 month contract then I wanted a phone that felt different to my iPhone, otherwise I might just have well have not bothered upgrading and stuck with my 3GS.

O2 have ubnlocked the iPhone and I now have a PAYG Voda sim in it, for those occasions locally where the O2 coverage is flaky (mainly the local villages). I dont class myself as a fanboi of either camp, they're just phones FFS.

This post has been deleted by its author

Silver badge

Ironically enough...

... the Samsung Galaxy Note (the one with 5" screen and stylus) might become a better tool for 'creatives'. Apple don't seem to have thought of making a sketching-taking device for the market segment that originally saw them through the 1980s... not since the iDevices have been making them so much money.

Its possible that this vid was Samsung's inspiration:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVmmYMwFj1I

"This thing is huge, yeah it's pretty massive"

Why didn't they just say there's a direct correlation between screen size and owner penis size?

Must order my Samsung Galaxy Note today.

If you queue, you deserve the abuse

Anybody who wastes their lives sitting outside a shop, waiting to buy something which they can walk into that same shop a week later and just pick up off a shelf, is an idiot and deserves ridiculing.

And that applies to any product, regardless of manufacturer.

Happy

Have thought about queuing for an iPhone release...

..and buying a mouse.

Holmes

At the risk of being labelled a fanboi I’ll out with it. I’m an open source user at every turn I can be. As such Android is the closest thing to that I can use mobe-wise. I picked up the HTC Sensation about 4 months ago and haven't looked back. Since I’m not biased to either Sammy or HTC (though I may be slightly anti-I-b*ll*cks) I can honestly say that of the big players I much prefer the HTC

Apart from a few battery life issues initially (easily sorted by an app or two and not being an idiot) I really have had no issues. In my experience when asked why they bought an iPhone most users (most NOT all) can only reply "'Cos it's the best innit!"..........I weep for the human race sometimes!

Anonymous Coward

Wait, did reg just say 'ass'?

I sincerely hope you meant donkey.

Pint

Can we have a coffee bean icon for the barista toting iPhone brigade?

Anonymous Coward

No! That would profane my dark (and slightly bitter) God.

The iPhone 4S is for...

.. people who don't want their very personal data snitched by one of the many Android root kits and scattered to the 4 winds.

Silver badge
Facepalm

Exactly! Only authorized iOS rootkits are allowed to steal their data!

Head in the sand much? About the only thing the iPhone did do first was popular malware, iPhone virii came out well before Android bugs.

Trollface

Hmmm

Does one have to turn up the volume on ones hardware to hear the advert and does the volume stay up if one does ...

Anonymous Coward

"... the Samsung Galaxy Note (the one with 5" screen and stylus) might become a better tool for 'creatives'."

... with huge (physically) pockets - it's too big for a phone - if you want that size get a tablet / iPad.

Anonymous Coward

"I have never used a smartphone."

= you are not really in a position to comment - caveman!

Anonymous Coward

"Excellent analogy. As Skoda make very good cars these days[1], it illustrates how some people are daft enough to wait to pay extra for a similar car with a better badge on it."

They have come a long way but it's still a Skoda and how many Skoda drivers go around thinking you know what even if they had given me the BMW I would rather have the Skoda.

Anonymous Coward

if they had given me the BMW everyone would think I was a tw*t.

There, fixed that for you.

Flame

YOU ARE A BUNCH OF PHONE SNOBS.

Good job Samsung, pointing out how incredibly dumb these fanbois are, it makes me feel warm inside.

YOU ARE A BUNCH OF PHONE SNOBS.

How do you know when someone is calling you from their iPhone?

Because they say "I'm calling you/called you from my iPhone" WTF is what about?

Because they want the whole world to know they have an iPhone.

Obviously you are calling from a phone whether mobile or land line, but do I really really really really really need to know you have an iPhone? GTFOH

I'm not making this up, it happens all the time.

Many Blackberry users are just as guilty too!

I'll call you from my Blackberry..... um...hello.... what you really mean is: "I'll call you"? Again I don't need to know nor do I care what you do it with.

YOU ARE THE BLIND AND MINDLESS SHEEP THAT APPLE AND OTHERS WANT YOU TO BE, THAT WAY THEY CAN MILK YOU FOR YOUR MONEY, AND YOU WILL ENJOY IT.!

Bwaahahahahhaha.

Meep Meep.

> I'm not making this up, it happens all the time.

Never happened to me - I am guessing we move in different circles ;-)

Though I used to see a lot of "sent from my iphone" mails earlier -which was, of course, auto generated.

Trollface

U mad, fanbois?

Trololololol...

Anonymous Coward

But...

..Opera can already do all this... (etc.)

*runs, head-down to avoid airborne rotting fruit*

Happy

Dave Gormon was dead right..

Look at the time on the SII phones, and then look at a few analogue clock adverts, the hands on analogue clocks (mostly) show a hand pointing to 10 and a hand pointing to 2, this is a marketeer's idea.

Make a happy face...

Oooh Oooh

I like to throw my money away on *my* favourite flavour of overpriced garbage. I'm so devoted to my choice of overpriced garbage that I'll denigrate anyone who wasted their money on a different brand of overpriced garbage.

Mine's the one with the carrier pigeons in the pockets.

Anonymous Coward

Samsung would love for people to actually want their phones / products to queue up like this - even 1/10th as much. People buy Samsung because they want today's decent Android handset - there is no loyalty - next time they would buy a HTC or Nokia or whatever.

Anonymous Coward

"if they had given me the BMW everyone would THINK I was a tw*t.

There, fixed that for you."

If you drove the Skoda they would KNOW you were a poor tw*t who wished they had a BMW (and an iPhone).

Pirate

Skoda Owner

I was a happy Skoda owner until I moved to Singapore. (most expensive place on the planet to buy a car, have to buy a certificate of entitlement (lasts 10 years) before you can own one, currently going at over 30,000 sterling for a <1600cc)

The Skoda started in the morning, even when covered in frost, got me from point a to point b, and was a lot cheaper to run than a BMW.

I'm (still) a happy HTC HD2 user (Windows Mobile 6.5) Have put android on it and taken it off again. Don't want fruit on my phone.

Best phone I ever had Nokia 6230, still have it, it works even after 6 or 7 years still get 2 days battery life from it.

You pay your money and take your choice.

Good comment about the Barista.....

Stop

Can't we all just get along?

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2017