back to article How Apple's Lion won't let you trash documents

Apple's Mac OS X 10.7 is branded Lion. The Lion may be king of the jungle, but from where we sit, it's the king of bungles. A case in point. Someone emails you a document, and you open it in, say, Apple's Pages app for a look. You read it through then, having done with it, you quit Pages. You no longer require the document so …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

How to prevent apps in Lion from opening previous window states when quitting

Command-Option-Q

Should save some grievances.

2. Nick Pettefar

Lion!

The two most used programs on my Mac were Text Edit and Preview. Now both are broken and I really don't like using my Mac. I am trying to fins good substitutes for these programs but it's hard.

I used to love my Mac but now I'm a bit depressed about it.

Why is the Hardware Editor writing about software?

3. Bard
    FAIL

User error

I'm not sure of the details of what you did, but I've been creating, using and deleting documents for a couple of months on Lion now, with none of the problems you've described.

Perhaps you've gone out of your way to find a hole to pick at?

The only thing I can think of is that you closed Pages, without closing the document first. Which meant, when Pages started again, it knew it had had that file open and therefore retrieved it.

Lion doesn't let you delete blah blah - the real case here is 'tech journo incapable of opening mind to new (and arguably, better) file system paradigm'.

4. TheOtherHobbbes

Interesting that Microsoft

tried file versioning in Longhorn (as was) and completely failed, in a 'We give up' kind of a way.

Also interesting that Lion Server is similarly broken - er - I mean the result of an advanced and thoughtful redesign.

Someone in Cupertino clearly said 'Let's make our next OS updates suitable for utter idiots.'

Problem is, while many users are a bit dim, there are now literally billions of users who understand how file saves work.

With the new shiny JesusFS that Apple has foisted on everyone, most of them are going to be confused - *very* confused.

So - what's the point of the change, exactly? I suppose there's some rationalisation that this system brings a real user benefit, but it seems so clumsy and user-hostile that it's hard not to see it as a Microsoft-style passive-aggressive fuck you to the users.

Which is all well and good, but it's odd behaviour from one of the world's biggest IT companies - and it makes you wonder what else the Big Fruit has planned.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like