back to article Samsung says Apple lifted iPad from Kubrick's 2001

In courts across the world, Apple has accused Samsung of pilfering ideas from the brains of Jobsian fondleslab engineers. And Samsung has now responded by accusing Apple of pilfering ideas from the brain of Stanley Kubrick. As noticed by inveterate Android watcher Florian Mueller, Samsung recently filed a court brief in …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Paul Shirley

me too

I remember something closer to an iPhone (and advanced one with a borderless full glass face and yes telephony was mentioned) but it's been a long time. Been trying to track down some ref to it for a while now, when the pile got too high I dumped most of my copies.

Seems it's just the 2 of us that remember it :(

1. Torben Mogensen

Level 4 glamour

Apple's main innovation was adding a level 4 glamour to the packaging.

2. Danny 5
    Thumb Up

can't........

stop............

laughing!!!!

3. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

prior art

an overall rectangular shape,

dominant display screen,

narrow borders,

a predominately flat front surface,

a flat back surface,

and a thin form factor.

as in a piece (or pad) of paper?

prior art and self obvious, the judge needs to pull out his black cap and pass sentence on these ridiculous patents.

-Paris, she sort of fits the description too.

4. Mondo the Magnificent
    Angel

BC!

The first ever reference to a Tablet that contained data was in the Old Testament:

Moses ascened from Mount Sinai with the Ten Commandments on two Tablets.. (technicall a download too)

1. Chemist
      Joke

To use an old joke

Moses was the first man to ride a motorbike too

"For the roar of Moses' Triumph was heard throughout the land " or similar

5. janhess

Before 1968

Didn't Moses first have tablets?

1. Danny 5
      Thumb Up

including

rounded corners!

2. Anonymous Coward
      Joke

Moses did...

...and being a first generation of tablets it felt as though you was carrying a brick.

6. Will Godfrey Silver badge
    Go

Just wondering

Are we (at last) reaching the tipping point of stupidity where, hopefully, at last the whole sorry mess will come cascading down?

I'm not holding my breath, but I DO hope so.

7. Mick Sheppard
    Joke

Uh Fiction?

Is this some strange commentary on the whole patent/copyright system that they are using a work of fiction to attempt to prove prior art?

The bottom line is that an Android phone or tablet doesn't have to look like an iPhone/iPad but Samsung have made theirs as close as they can without actually sticking an Apple logo on it. This is no Apple v Microsoft where Apple was trying to go for general look-and-feel but a real copycat attempt at passing off.

1. Zippy the Pinhead
      FAIL

@ Mick Sheppard

However the image that Apple provided to the court of the Samsung tablet was doctored to make the device look MORE like the Apple iPad. If you compare the two side by side they are less similar. Just cause it's a rectangle and it has a black bezel it doesn't mean that Samsung stole the idea from Apple. That's the same crap Apple tried to pull with the Mouse and the GUI. They stole (sorry borrowed for all you fanbois out there) the idea from Xerox. This makes Apple's claim that Samsung stole the idea for the device very weak and in fact it's been pointed out that not only did Apple steal the idea from prior art, but also that this is just the natural shape of a device of this type.

8. Stuart Castle Silver badge

And for their next trick..

Samsung will produce a table like device that is remarkably similar to Microsoft's Surface product, and claim Microsoft copied the idea of a table or desk with large touch sensitive screen from Disney's Tron.

9. TonyHoyle

Apple are playing a dangerous game

Its probably impossible to make a phone (or a pad, which is basically a big phone) without infrongng on someones patent.. that is well understood, and so they al either cross license or turn a blind eye to it.

Then comes upstart apple, who seek to use the patent system to destroy any and all competition. This has two potential results. 1. They lose a signifacant number of patent claims, weakening their position (this has already started to happen - to get a temporary ban on the galaxy s they lost several patent claims in the process, including look and feel ones) 2. The other companies go nuclear on their ass, making it impossible for them to produce iPhones or ipads.

This is going to get a lot uglier than it is now.

10. John Fielder
    Headmaster

The Tomorrow People

Don't forget The Tomorrow People, in the 70's, as previously pointed out on this website, an exact copy of the IPad, they must have used their pychic powers to see into the future and steal the Apple patents.

Are Apple going to prosecute I wonder?

Have they tried to prosecute for coming up with their idea before they did? (would not surprise me in the least)

11. rbryanh

Whimpering Rich People

I have the same reaction to this that I do to the silly games members of the US Congress play for their own amusement while their country falls apart around them.

I'd like to line every last one of them up and slap them in their selfish, foolish, narcissistic, greedy faces, and with each slap, transfer $10K from their personal accounts to a charity that helps young people grow up to be something other than fools.

People who believe life is about the accumulation of wealth are insufficiently mature to be allowed any.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like