back to article David Cameron turns water cannons on social networks

David Cameron picked on social networks in Parliament this morning, when he told MPs – who were forced to cut short their holidays following four nights of looting, arson and violence in England – that he was considering such tech being barred when used by baddies. "Mr Speaker, everyone watching these horrific actions will be …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
    Megaphone

Quick and easy solution

Just take away their bloody Raspberry/ipwn or whatever and ban them from having said item again (its paid with by benefits) for a minmum of 2yrs.. Vodafone / Orange Everywhere and O2 could share the costs of a database matching IMEIs with billing addresses etc.. So if they attempt to take another contract out... bollocks.. dosent work too great with PAYG Sims....

I can sense another costly disastrous IT project coming along!

1. keithpeter Silver badge

Command and control?

So they 'borrow' someone else's.

How long is it before someone writes an app for each platform that can send messages using strong encryption to another copy of the app on another phone?

Perhaps using sms to send the encrypted messages, perhaps an ip protocol? No central server. Just a single plain text sms to swap keys. BBM without the server.

William Gibson "The street finds its uses for things"

2. Armando 123

Oddly enough

Y'all are making the same arguments we gun owners make.

Just think about it. That's all I ask, just think about it.

1. Debe

I've considered it.

Thought about it, what you seem to be asking is to draw similarities between something that was designed for communication and something that was designed for threatening and killing.

While Social Networking can be used for bad and good (although often pointless and insane) reasons. Guns have a single reason for existence, that reason is expelling small objects at high velocity… which really only has a single practical use.

3. Morteus
    Big Brother

Oh Lord, please help me to keep my big...

I accept, that as one of our country's leaders and shining example of reason and virtue, Mr. Cameron feels obliged to comment and suggest ways of dealing with the issue, but shouldn't it be something more than a knee-jerk draconian swipe at media platforms?

Think it through Mr. C... think it through...

Big Bro, 'cos we know where this can lead...

4. Anonymous Coward
    Megaphone

Subtext

"Free flow of information can be used for good. But it can also be used for ill."

Who then gets to decide which is which?

5. b166er

Hmmm

Jarvis Cocker's 'The c*nts are still running the world' springs to mind.

6. Steve Farr
    Big Brother

Hey so that must explain...

...why Facebook have suddenly pulled these two images off my wall:

http://imgur.com/gallery/YER86

followed by

http://bit.ly/pF7Igt

and won't let me re-post them.

Seriously.

7. Sarah Davis

typical MP - inept and missing the point

Cameron is so out of touch, he should step down.

Over the past 20 years the british gov have shut down borstals and remand centres, done away with discipline in schools and in the home, consequently removing the bounderies that previous generations have had, and removing the consequences.

Cameron doesn't have a clue about how ordinary people live. So now he blames social networks,... what a total ARSE - if it wasn't for idiots like Cameron and his gang of criminals we would never have been in this situation in the first place, and we'd still have social networks.

does anyone else think this all seems a bit contrived - so whats the gov's plan, to make facebook, twitter, and txt msg'ing illegal - consider the impact these services have had on exposing corruption! If I was a corrupt politician i'd want them shut down too, but how,.... i know, if i could somehow secretly organise some riots where i could then blame these services (which have exposed some of my friends and colleagues and could potentially expose me),... of course I'd have to make sure my firnds and i were all on hols at the time,.. yes, yes, a cunning plan, no-one would ever guess

1. LaeMing
      Go

A very fun conspiracy theory :-)

Though it misses the main flaw in most such theories - "never attribute to mallice what can be explained by stupidity."

8. heyrick Silver badge

Stop the bad guys tweeting?

How do you know a person is the sort of person who should be banned [*] from social networking until, you know, it's too damn late?

* - not that I can see this being much use, it's already against a dozen laws to riot, steal, and burn stuff down, but that didn't seem to be much of a consideration.

9. WonkoTheSane
    Big Brother

I'll just leave this here...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLg3lROCLoM

Of course, the conspiracy theorists will be along in a minute to explain that the riots were started by "Da Gubmint" in order to reclaim their control over the dear peepul, which has been bypassed by all this "social netw*nking 'n' stuff".

Not a black helicopter, Murdoch's illegal spy drone.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Mushroom

Hmph.

I think it would be better if we just removed everybodies (law abiding citizens and non law abiding citizens) human rights/civil liberties.

The British have done absolutely nothing but abuse their freedom. They don't deserve to be free!

I hope someone in the gov't is reading this!

11. John Fielder
    Headmaster

When did we last have riots all over the country?

We last had national riots about 30 years ago. Who was in power? Oh yes, the Tories, good job they did not get enough votes to get back in. Oh!

Treat people like s**t and don't be surprised if they behave like s**t.

As always, a bit of political objection gets hijacked by alot of criminals just out for themselves. Line them up against the wall and throw all the books from the closed libraries at them

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

There's only one way to deal with this.

Round everyone up and machine gun the lot of them...

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ironic

I was pretty sure that the UK (and US) governments fund that program thingy, the name escapes me, that helps develop/support technologies that help people use social media in censored states?

Heh.

14. Blubster
    Boffin

"History will show us the way"

The best solution would be to create some kind of man and machine hybrid - let's call it a cybernetic organism for want of a better name, or cyborg if you will because today's yoof can't spell cybernetic.

Send this `cyborg` back in time to Boston 1876 to shoot Alexander Graham Bell in the face and voilà! - no telephones.

1. Magnus_Pym
      Mushroom

what about a policeman/machine hybrid?

I'd give just 15 seconds to comply

2. Debe
      Facepalm

ow

But then the Cyborg… sorry, “Cybernetic Organism” would never have existed in the first place, so he wouldn’t be able to go back in time and so then we would have technology... but then you could create a Cybo… Cybernetic Organism to shoo… but then he…

My brain hurts.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Big Brother

Hosni Cameron should, in the words of the song, "Walk like an Egyptian" ...

... since he appears to have the same regard as a certain ex-dictator when it comes to the Internet.

16. Jon Smit
    Big Brother

They've turned off mobiles already

On Tuesday the pay-as-you-go O2 network in south London was off the air. Don't tell me it was a coincidence.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Smithdown Lane

Also, allegedly, in Smithdown Lane, Toxteth for a few hours. Could just be power loss or damage to cell antenna.

17. Colin Bain

..and now to another but related topic

"To the law-abiding people who play by the rules and who are the overwhelming majority in this country, I say, “The fight back has begun. We will protect you. If you’ve had your livelihood and property damaged, we will compensate you. We are on your side.” To the lawless minority, the criminals who have taken what they can get, I say: we will track you down, we will find you, we will charge you, we will punish you. You will pay for what you have done." David Cameron

Was this supposed to be said during the banking crisis?

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like