back to article Dear Dell and Microsoft: You're not Apple

Dell has always been a first-class choice for budget-minded CIOs. The company grew to prominence by shaving everything – including R&D costs – from the bill of materials for its utilitarian, corporate machines. Today, despite four years of attempts to invigorate its brand with consumers, Dell remains a consumer-computing laggard …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Netscape was a bloated clunky pile of jun

Microsoft got its act together with IE4 - much better than Netscape. It played fast and loose getting PC vendors to drop Netscape - and got into big trouble with the anti-trust guys over this.

But the OEMs seemed happy enough to play ball with Microsoft on this score: Netscape lorded it over the PC makers and unpopular with them.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Facepalm

OEMs happy to play ball with Microsoft?

Drewc: the OEMs seemed happy enough to play ball with Microsoft on this score: Netscape lorded it over the PC makers and unpopular with them ..

"I am reading about the Gateway adoption of the Corel software. I am interested to understand what this means better and how it relates to any contracts we have with them"

http://edge-op.org/iowa/www.iowaconsumercase.org/011607/4000/PX04039.pdf

"OEM’s want to replace the Memphis product registration process with a third party .. registration process .. It’s strategically very important that Microsoft owns the transport"

http://edge-op.org/iowa/www.iowaconsumercase.org/011607/2000/PX02848.pdf

"OEM's are resisting the high royalties for GW-BASIC .. we feel that our market strength for MS-DOS is sufficient to charge prices that are 300% higher than previously"

http://edge-op.org/iowa/www.iowaconsumercase.org/011607/5000/PX05003.pdf

1. wanderson

Microsoft, Dell & consumers

I have admired Matt Assay's accomplishments and diverse experience for some time, but think that he fell and hit his head on a rock for this article.

To postulate that Microsoft would even have the expertise, understanding or the technology savvy to produce Internet Explorer and Silverlight specifically for Android and iOS is a stretch, especially since these technologies are not owned or controlled or "designed" like Windows.

Worse yet, they are based on Linux and UNIX, both appauling anathema to Steve Balmer.

Any company as myopic and closed minded - and self-intentioned - as Microsoft would not know where to start supporting anything not invented (or mimicked from somewhere else) in Redmond.

At least he is giving them the benefit of the doubt for possible forward thinking rather than backward reminiscing.

2. Head

Hmmm

@Davidoff

I agree entirely in regards to the non uniform Mobos. I have worked on Precisions as well, especially the newer T series.

I think Dell is aiming for some uniformity so if you purchase a Precision with 1 CPU you get 1 type of Mobo, regardless of the CPU chosen (different mobo needed for 2 CPUs).

With the introduction of the E series of Lats and Precision notebooks, there has been just 1 standard mobo for each different model, despite there being up to 4 mobos available; each one is built to the exact same standards. For example, a Latitude E5410 may have 3 different mobo's but all are interchangable.

I can't say much about the side cover though, except that some part numbers were hard to find, but we (as in myself and the guys i worked with) always found it. When i left there was a very large and far more comprehensive database being pushed out to staff to use for part ID.

While there also, we had a 1 minute call pickup time we worked very hard to maintain. So after you got through the IVR system and selected Dell pro Support for laptops, desktops or precisions, you waited for up to 1 minute before we answered.

We also were pushing hard to be a 'one stop shop' as well as 'first call fix'. We were in no rush to get rid of customers, we stayed on the phone until the issue was fixed, and we fixed it as fast as we could.

We also could sent out repair techs on site based on very flimsy diagnostics. If you called us up and had said 'the HDD is dead it's not booting', we would have said 'no worries, a tech will be there tomorrow, unless you would like to change it yourself?' if they said no, we had a tech there the next day. Sometimes we didn't have to ask anything at all, but simply said 'we'll have a tech there tomorrow to have it fixed'. and we did get the computer fixed.

Basically, the managers left it up to us on how best to serve customers. That was Dell pro Support Aus, not the US or anywhere else

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Why HAS micros~1 allowed its "internet experience" to languish?

Out of spite. Spite against netscape, and they did succeed pretty well there. But they also shut out non-windows platforms and in doing that demonstratably assaulted innovation that dared forego douse itself in their special sauce. The result has become the byword of crawling internet horrors. "IE6"

And why is posting anonymously slapped with a spiteful icon these days, hm?

4. Nabil Shabka

Missing the point

The problem is that MS simply didn't see the Internet and still doesn't get it. The world ahs changed. MS is not an innovator, it's a monopolosing juggernaught. That worked fantasitcally for years. It was clear in the late 90's that their reign was over. In order to succeed they cannot turn the huge tanker around. They need a new leader with carte blanche and vision. One who can go and compeltely reinvent the company. Sure they can continue to milk the marekets they are still successful in, stupid not to, while this is occurring but they need to a complete rethink.

BTW, the IBM of today is nothing like the IBM of old (the one that though box shiftng was more important than the OS and ended up giving birth to MS) - they almost went to the wall. In fact so did Apple in the 90's until the iPod. MS needs an 'iPod' and to set a new course - one that will eventually canablise their own market because if they don't, they will be beaten from the outside, as they are being now.

5. Steve Avis

@ defiler

Microsoft didn't declare the internet finished with IE6; they stopped development 'cos they'd killed Netscape.

Firefox rose from the ashes because M$ were sitting back satisfied that their stratergy of giving IE away for free to kill Netscape's only paying prodict.

6. syntax_error
    Trollface

Trolling (or maybe not)

Microsoft is successful because it offer the opportunity for people who are using it to remain dumb and think they are clever using it (99% of users are sure convinced they are clever using Windows). DELL sells sea shells by the sea shore... Means they don't engineer computer 'as opposed to well known companies who have a culture of it'... You can sense it. Kit computers for kitty people. But then again trolling is my job and my job is good.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like