back to article Dig deep! Radio asks taxpayers for blank cheque

Timing is everything, comics say. So it is in politics, too. With the UK flat broke after Labour's nine-year drunken spending splurge, the taxpayer is now being asked to pay for lots of new radio masts, and associated infrastructure. The anointed successor to analog radio doesn't have anything like the infrastructure required …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Will Godfrey Silver badge
    Joke

@Ummmmmm

It - Still - Does - Nothing

Does - Audio - Badly

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@Ummmmmm

So to conclude,

Dead And Buried

2. P. Lee

DAB just not required

except for vendors.

Oi government! Stop sucking up to the corporates.

FM is more than fine for lo-fi environments such as cars and kitchens where radios are typically used.

I know there's no money in pushing fm, that's one reason why we like it. The other is graceful degradation. Another is we already have the infrastucture.

3. Simon B
    FAIL

Ever tried going mobile with DAB!

DAB is shit, fuck it off! Ever tried going mobile with DAB!

4. Andy 97
    FAIL

Broadcasting is a hugely expensive thing to do

As someone that has started and run three FM radio stations I can say with some authority that unless you have a cast-iron business model, i.e. it will generate money by simply letting the needles 'wag', forget it!

5. Brian0735
    FAIL

DAB is a waste of air space!

The service provided on DAB in my area does not have any local stations.

Of the stations that can be heard there are only two I would care to listen to but the audio quality is considerately worse than the FM transmissions.

6. davenewman
    FAIL

Even the radio engineers don't bother to monitor DAB

Here in Belfast the DAB signals for Radio Ulster and other local stations frequently disappear or are too distorted to understand. It usually takes hours until someone fixes it (or even a whole weekend a few weeks ago).

I bet the technicians don't even monitor the DAB broadcasts.

7. Cunningly Linguistic
    FAIL

DAB = Death of radio as we know it.

Once FM is switched off, and people won't pay the absurd amounts charged for DAB replacements the radio listening public's numbers severely decline.

The audience figures go down, the advertising spending goes down, the number of radio stations go down until eventually all that can be received is the BBC stations.

The BBC decides it's on a hiding to nothing and so withdraws funding from DAB stations' budgets.

Everyone goes over to DVB and/or PMPs.

Poor Whispering Bob retires and the decent music content on the airwaves dies the death.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Grenade

Useless load of Jodrell that DAB is

But some say it's good in your car? Thing about most cars is they're a bit well ..er...mobile.

If you take your shiny new DAB kit over to say Germany ..zut alors it doesn't work.

Because nobody else on the planet uses the same cruddy DAB that the UK is imposing.

Feckwits. I hope the lack of cash kills this DAB stone dead.

I hear Ford are to install DAB from next year. Why don't they offer a Focus with a steam engine it's just as up to date as DAB.

Internet Radio is the future...that and Garlic Bread of course.

1. Vic

Internet Radio

> Internet Radio is the future...

Of course, the way to kill many birds with one stone would be to set up IPv6 transmitters along the road.

Multicast[1] the content over UDP, and you don't even need the player devices to transmit anything back.

So you get Internet radio availability, IPv6 rollout, and multicast all rolled into one Govt. push.

Change of codec coming up? Just open up another multicast address. IPv6 isn't exactly short of them.

Vic.

[1] technically, it would be more akin to broadcast, but that has a specific meaning in IP.

9. Dave 17
    FAIL

Scrap DAB, use DVB-T

Here's an idea, scrab DAB and build DVB-T (or DVB-T2) radios - a simple two line 40 character display will suffice with auto tuning.

Filter out the video channels and leave just the radio based ones.

Most of that can be handled by a handful of integrated chips.

No real reason why it wouldn't cost much more than a budget set top box.

This way you get your £30-40 radio for the kitchen, but on the way scrap an entire infrastructure and transmission chain.

Cheaper for operators.

Cheaper for listeners.

1. relpy
      Stop

Why filter out the video?

I want to see the pictures on my 2 line 40 character display in Matrix style. Apparently you get used to it...

10. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Thumb Down

It would seem DAB is the Betamax to DAB+'s VHS

Except DAB+ is *better* than DAB.

And U&K broadcasters won't admit they got hit with "Early adopter" syndrome. Sure all the receivers would have to be junked but is the modern digital broadcast chain *that* inflexible it could not be upgraded?

I note similarities to the enthusiasm for satellite Vs terrestrial TV in UK and the continent.

UK. Broadcaster develop repeater-station-in-a-suitcase and set up little shed around UK giving c95% coverage?

European broadcasters dream of spewing their dubbed US soaps across the whole continent and buy satellites *despite* the regulatory situation being completely fragmented as there is *no* "FCC" for the whole of Europe.

Britards. These people do not *deserve* your money. Why should they have it?

11. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

My Roberts Uno Logic DAB/FM is brilliant

it's DAB+ of course, as I bought it in Switzerland where I'm listening to lots of high quality AAC streaming, comes across from Italy too 'classica', 'pop+', 'retedue'. The NiMH batteries easily cope with the decoding. When I return to the UK I suppose I can use FM.

I asked Robertsradio.co.uk if I could eventually flash (DOWNGRADE!) it to UK DAB and they told me that

"There are no software upgrades available for multi format use. Sets will either be DAB Band 111 format used in the UK or DAB+ used in Australia and Switzerland"

meanwhile a comment on the EU Sirius/XM.

A worldspace 1492MHz based twin satellite system was nearly offered end 2009, ground fill-in repeaters were installed in Sweden, Italy, Germany & Austria, a deal was done to have worldspace car-radios in all FIATs (& Alfas etc) but the company went bust days before launch. Credit crunch? Need some Ubuntu style billionaire to finance the rollout. There's even a spare AfriStar satellite in a garage in Toulouse somewhere...

references? FCC Authorizes WORLDSPACE Subsidiary to Launch AfriStar-2 Satellite http://www2.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT=109&STORY=/www/story/01-04-2006/0004242750&EDATE

and http://www.kingofalltrades.com/2009/12/06/sirius-liberty-worldspace-saga-continues/

12. Anonymous Coward
    Go

(802.11p) I forgot to mention although I use DAB+ at home

I actually listen to LBC via their 3G Android app on my drive to & fro to work along the shores of Lago Maggiore. The 20 minute drive gets me on average 19 minutes of 3G streamed radio, could choose NPR or KQED but the early breakfast show with Steve Allen is often more entertaining. *If* LTE ever gets rolled out into the sticks then I'd have better than 0.95 availability, 3G is just about usable - but I don't want anybody else power-sharing my BTS erp!

Future INTERNET CAR RADIO - lots of widespread EU & USA automotive 4.95 GHz infrastructure is being planned around 802.11p, it's possible to get a retunable 802.11a 5GHz miniPCI wifi card for around €50 from Latvia! and a triple band mag-mount GPS/802.11g/802.11p antenna for another €50 and have a MacMini in-car car-radio type infotainment. start planning now!

13. Harry

"coverage is now 86 per cent "

I'm supposedly one of that 86 percent.

If I'm typical, then there's a very good reason why people aren't going for DAB, and that's because it very often sounds worse than prehistoric Radio Luxembourg on a very bad day. At least Luxembourg only faded out, it didn't give constant bubbling noises and other annoying defects.

It's probably not DAB's fault though. Somehow, I suspect it has more to do with trying to squeeze twenty stations on a bandwidth that's only adequate for ten.

So maybe the best thing for all parties would be for half the stations to drop out of DAB altogether, leaving the others to each have their proper share of the bandwidth.

Failing that, just wait until there is a better, internationally agreed standard.

14. Wayland Sothcott 1

Degrade FM

If they degrade FM then it will make DAB sound better by comparison.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.